• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Undertale |OT| Indie RPG with determination and spider bake sales

Now on Uncharted 3, surprisingly quite a large graphical jump after 2. Maybe not on the scale from 1 to 2 but it is noticeable. Aiming has definitely been fixed but enemy hit reactions are the same as ps3. Much worse than 1 and 2 in this regard.

Edit: Wrong thread, saw something that began with "Un" and clicked

I was gonna respond cheekily with the link to the thread you were probably looking for. Interestingly the text inside the "quote" coding had your edit but your edit didn't show up on mobile as quickly using the refresh button.

Shahadan

This game feels like it's made by someone from another planet of something. Or just from a totally different culture.
Can't put my finger on it but it's like watching someone cooking pasta in the toaster with so much confidence and mastery that it makes you think it's perfectly normal and realize that's the best way to do it and everyone should have thought of it decades ago.

bounchfx

so I just did my first fan art ever, because undertale has me in it's fuckin grasp hard. I thought i'd share with you guys. it's muffet!

dank_muffet.png

you can uhhh... ignore the weed stuff. that part was for a friend Lol

Sorry guys! I don't even know what Undertale is!

You should check out the http://undertale.com/demo.htm, don't read anything else (including much more of this thread) until you beat it. The game would probably run on a toaster oven if it had an operating system, and it is currently the highest rated PC game of all time on metacritic.

The game is modeled after old RPG's but the interactivity is innovative enough to counter act turn based combat aversion I think. Just give it a try if you have the time and beat the demo before reading anything else.

zsynqx

The best way to describe combat (if you can call it combat) is a mixture of turn-based RPG and bullet-hell shooter.

Thanks, going to watch Giant Bomb QL to see if it is something I would be into.

You should check out the http://undertale.com/demo.htm, don't read anything else (including much more of this thread) until you beat it. The game would probably run on a toaster oven if it had an operating system, and it is currently the highest rated PC game of all time on metacritic.

The game is modeled after old RPG's but the interactivity is innovative enough to counter act turn based combat aversion I think. Just give it a try if you have the time and beat the demo before reading anything else.

Okay, won't watch GB quick look then :p, I'll try demo and let you guys know what I think :)

Maximo

so I just did my first fan art ever, because undertale has me in it's fuckin grasp hard. I thought i'd share with you guys. it's muffet!

"Muffet rolls you a blunt...of Spiders*

Quoting myself from earlier because I don't want it buried.

Thanks for responding! Interesting that the demo's content is improved upon in the main game. I'm not too worried about play time since one of the reasons I was glad to pick the game up was it seemed like it'd be compatible with a play style accommodating my little free time by allowing frequent quick sessions. I just don't want the game to feel too quick and I was a little worried that based on my play time for the demo, it constituted about a sixth of the game. Apparently others have beaten the demo in half the time though so IDK. Would you two agree that playing it in one or two sittings would be better than playing it until a save point, stopping, starting a few days later, repeat? I want this game to affect me as much as it clearly has the potential to, and I feel I may have botched the early parts of the game by playing them in this way.

I did think it was idd that I had to just run aeay from the vegetable guys, good to know that's changed I guess. As for the "hint" on how to save Toriel, it isn't something that is missed before she blocks the exit, right? As in if I don't catch on to it in the main game by the time she goes downstairs, I can still take my time to figure out the solution? It isn't something as simple as I was thinking with the demo, which would be to weaken then spare her, right? I guess I shouldn't be asking specific questions because I want to avoid specific answers, if you could at least answer the second question that'd be appreciated, thanks again!

Also is ];) a Toriel version of ;)?

Edit:

Does waiting around for Toriel early on do anything besides bring up some dialogues? I tried it out one day while using the final game copy I have from Steam (before finishing the demo) and I got some funny/cute dialogues to pop up occasionally, but I had to quit the game (because I had to sleep) and wasn't sure if there was going to be an "end" to the waiting.

Quoting myself from earlier because I don't want it buried.

First, the most important question: yes "]; )" is a Toriel version of ";)"

Second, regarding
saving Toriel. You have all the time you need to figure out the solution; there is no "point of no return."

As for waiting for Toriel in the room, it's just some funny phone calls. She doesn't actually return for you, unfortunately.

Firstly, thanks again for the reply!

First, the most important question: yes "]; )" is a Toriel version of ";)"

Second, regarding
saving Toriel. You have all the time you need to figure out the solution; there is no "point of no return."

As for waiting for Toriel in the room, it's just some funny phone calls. She doesn't actually return for you, unfortunately.

Good to know that once I reach that point I can try to figure out the solution, rather than having to find it before a certain point. Of course, I "can't change fate" so saving her probably isn't an option after she dies.

For the waiting part, I had seen some discussion while looking it up that mid-game something changes for it? I'll probably sit through it while working on something else to avoid taking any chances. Apparently the dialogue just repeats at its "end", so I'll move on after that point. I actually tried it today just a while ago (30-ish minutes), but moved out of the room (back towards the dummy) too soon I guess to get the last dialogue. Too bad she doesn't eventually show up, it seems like it'd be an interesting change, but I guess the game's early progression needs independence.

Cinnamon, always cinnamon Toriel. This demo is really messing with my expectations :p

Yup, since you've already reached this point,
the flower was a pretty interesting twist to start on. Too bad there was a gif being used on this forum in threads about the game that spoiled that sequence for me unfortunately.
Hope you are liking it!

zsynqx

Yup, since you've already reached this point,
the flower was a pretty interesting twist to start on. Too bad there was a gif being used on this forum in threads about the game that spoiled that sequence for me unfortunately.
Hope you are liking it!

Am really enjoying it so far but not a fan of the constant "combat" interruptions. Game has already made me chuckle quite a few times however and love the music.

DNAbro

Am really enjoying it so far but not a fan of the constant "combat" interruptions. Game has already made me chuckle quite a few times however and love the music.

Apparently the encounter rate is higher in the demo if i read here correctly

zsynqx

Getting into the combat a bit more; starting to play around more with the "act" options which are giving some interesting results. It is a shame that I am really not a fan of turn based games, because I kinda wish they had some kind of realtime system instead which gave you the option of reasoning with enemies. My pet-peeve so I will not mark it as a negative against the game which has been both surprising and endearing thus far.

MrHoot

TRUE PACIFIST ENDING SPOILER

So Asriel absorbed all the monster souls at the end

But did he ditch Jerry's soul ?

dity

I'm going to guess the tea cup and pot turn into some sort of bong.

Kirlia

Banned
Finished! ....;_;
Also I really should have done the murder everything route first. No way I'm doing that now :lol:

Be glad you didn't.
Unless you can figure out how to cleanse your game of your sins (deleting certain files, which is apparently rather tricky), your game would be screwed out of a happy ending forever.

Shahadan

Be glad you didn't.
Unless you can figure out how to cleanse your game of your sins (deleting certain files, which is apparently rather tricky), your game would be screwed out of a happy ending forever.

For real?! Man this is awesome. It fits the game so well.
Though I guess some people will be mad about that

Maximo

Finished! ....;_;
Also I really should have done the murder everything route first. No way I'm doing that now :lol:
Yeah its extremely hard to kill everything and pursue that path till the very end, most would phase into the neutral run. Plus as another poster said it would completly fuck your future runs of the game,
Neutral, Pacifist, Genocide,is the way to go.

Kirlia

Banned
For real?! Man this is awesome. It fits the game so well.
Though I guess some people will be mad about that

There is one person who I saw that was really mad about that, and considered it
way too harsh and that you shouldn't be punished for trying to see something the game itself offers.
He also suffered a bit of hype backlash, having EXTREMELY high expectations since his friends all loved it, and then his expectations weren't met.

That's kind of why I try not to gush about the game too much on other social platforms.

Maximo

There is one person who I saw that was really mad about that, and considered it
way too harsh and that you shouldn't be punished for trying to see something the game itself offers.
He also suffered a bit of hype backlash, having EXTREMELY high expectations since his friends all loved it, and then his expectations weren't met.

That's kind of why I try not to gush about the game too much on other social platforms.

Feels like a well deserved sense of irony for doing the genocide run first..

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
Well, I just "beat the game" at least enough that I wanted to. I'm glad I sucked up the motivation to go back and get the real ending for pacifist.

Overall, I enjoyed the game and I think it did a good job. There were a lot of places that I said "That's some clever game design" or "That's exactly how it should be designed" and I think they kept the game mostly fresh throughout which is a really impressive feat considering I put in a good 6 hours into my save.

But then there were a lot of places I was saying "I really wouldn't have done it that way" or "I don't think that was good design" straight to "That was badly designed." It's a flawed game, but I'm a tough critic when it comes to pixel RPGs. There are a lot of red herrings in the game, and I've read a lot of criticisms to people getting stuck at parts because they "didn't read or pay attention." I disagree, in fact, if you pay attention too much, you end catching a bunch of little hints the game designer didn't even realize he was laying down, and you get fed a lot of wrong information that leads to some frustrating time wasters, especially on some later battles when you feel like the game is holding you hostage to the ending you want to get.

In terms of the story, it seemed alright. They definitely need to learn to let a joke or two go, not pound your skull with it for an hour and a half.
I'm still a little confused on some things ending wise but I feel satisfied enough with my understand and the general ending I got. I can't say I'm really a big fan of the ending in the run:
the fake pacifist run. That last meta true colored emulator stuff is pretty ehhhhhh and the aesthetic there was so 90's web flash game it hurt my eyes (and ears, RIP headphone users). The real final battle was a lot better executed.
I'm not interested in doing a fighting run now. I'll just read the spoilers on it.

Fun adventure. Not a 10/10 like many say, but I'd say it's a good 8ish or whatever (numbers are dumb). I had fun, some parts were annoying and didn't respect my time, while others tried to keep everything flowing fast and were an original take on a tired genre. Glad I played.

Already went through true pacifist and now i just got to Snowdin on GENOCIDE

damn bruh all the monsters skipped town cause of my ass, store dude left a letter saying to spare his family and then I took all his shit. Walking through all the puzzles was a good touch, I aint got time for that, I'm evil dammnit.

damn one shotting Toriel and Papyrus, there aint no fucking around here.

Dimmle

This game feels like it's made by someone from another planet of something. Or just from a totally different culture.
Can't put my finger on it but it's like watching someone cooking pasta in the toaster with so much confidence and mastery that it makes you think it's perfectly normal and realize that's the best way to do it and everyone should have thought of it decades ago.

this is the best description of Undertale I've read

Maximo

Is there anything "like" Undertale? Haven't played anything that Toby"s been involved in should I start with some of them? Got a hole that can't be filled after beating Undertale and I need at least something of similar quality to play, never thought something would beat Witcher 3 for my GOTY but so far Undertale is at the top.
Haven't played Earthbound either if that's worth going back to.

JC Sera

Is there anything "like" Undertale? Haven't played anything that Toby"s been involved in should I start with some of them? Got a hole that can't be filled after beating Undertale and I need at least something of similar quality to play, never thought something would beat Witcher 3 for my GOTY but so far Undertale is at the top.
Meta analysis wise, the Stanley Parable

Kirlia

Banned
Feels like a well deserved sense of irony for doing the genocide run first..

He did it second, I think. Either way, he complained he had to play the game three times to see most everything it had to offer.

...I don't think the game was really for him.

Earthbound's a good one to play. Still one of my favorites.

I'm also eager to hear about Undertale-like games outside of the MOTHER franchise.

Dimmle

All three Mother games (tonally, I'd say especially Mother 3) are definitely inspirations toward Undertale but you might not find anything "like" Undertale since Undertale is an amalgamation of those games, Mario RPG's, Shin Megami Tensei, Warioware and probably a dozen other sources all while being wholly and completely new.

dLMN8R

Alright, I just beat this game. I went full pacifist for everything except for
Toriel
. So I didn't really get much of an ending at all??

It was a cool game, but I don't feel like playing through it again. Are there some good sites that detail all of the possible outcomes and other weird things I missed?

I spared
Flowey
too, and it just said that I should play through the game again (??) Is there something else on this specific playthrough I'm missing?

sharc

Neo Member

the mother series is a good start and you will absolutely get a sense for undertale's roots. here are a few other games that i would consider to be either related or similar in tone ( or also by toby fox :V )

1upsuper

Toriel

It was a cool game, but I don't feel like playing through it again. Are there some good sites that detail all of the possible outcomes and other weird things I missed?

I spared
Flowey
too, and it just said that I should play through the game again (??) Is there something else on this specific playthrough I'm missing?

Yeah, you're missing the best ending in the game. It's seriously worth replaying to experience. Just spare everyone and
make friends with Undyne and Alphys.

dity

Toriel

I spared
Flowey
You need to not kill anyone and also become everyone's friend. You'll need to play again due to
killing Toriel
rather than just picking up the last dregs of the game like usual.

dLMN8R

I figured - I'm watching the "real ending" on YouTube since I don't have time to put another ~5 hours in just because I killed one character. Pretty crazy!

Is there a good documentation of all the easter eggs that were hinted at? For example, all the weird little items I came across in the game? Like the snowball?

I did become everyone's friend - I was super friendly in every single case except for the one death I inflicted before I truly understood how the game worked :-(

Top Bottom