• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Undertale |OT| Indie RPG with determination and spider bake sales

Maximo

the mother series is a good start and you will absolutely get a sense for undertale's roots. here are a few other games that i would consider to be either related or similar in tone ( or also by toby fox :V )

Some really nice suggestions going to check them out, how are the Mother games still hold up? Hard sometimes to go back to older games at least mechanically speaking. And is Earthbound Halloween hack its "Own Thing" or something I should play after beating Earthbound.

1upsuper

Some really nice suggestions going to check them out, how are the Mother games still hold up? Hard sometimes to go back to older games at least mechanically speaking, And is Earthbound Halloween hack its "Own Thing" or something I should play after beating Earthbound.

Mother 2 and 3 hold up very well, IMO. Especially 3, which isn't even a decade old yet. I'm one of those rare people that likes Mother 1 just as much as 2 and 3, but if you aren't a fan of NES RPGs then you're probably gonna have a bad time with 1 unless you have a lot of patience. That game's encounter rate is crazy.

I'd recommend playing through M2 before the hack.

Maximo

Mother 2 and 3 hold up very well, IMO. Especially 3, which isn't even a decade old yet. I'm one of those rare people that likes Mother 1 just as much as 2 and 3, but if you aren't a fan of NES RPGs then you're probably gonna have a bad time with 1 unless you have a lot of patience. That game's encounter rate is crazy.

I'd recommend playing through M2 before the hack.
Awesome thanks alot looks like I'm playing Mother then!

Finally finished the game with the best ending and I feel like there's a hole in my heart. I'll probably end up playing Cave Story or Mother 3 now since those games were obviously a huge inspiration for Undertale and happen to be a couple of my favorites anyway.

Anyway, when is Fangamer gonna put out that sweet, sweet Undertale merch? My body is ready and my wallet is... okay.

Gonna have my mom play through it. She beat EarthBound last year, so I think she'll be able to appreciate this game well enough.

I kinda spoiled the nature of "Genocide" versus "Pacifist", but only because I know she would want me to give her guidance in that area :v

Enjoy! I'd love to be able to play them for the first time again.

i did the three mother for the first time two-three weeks ago, only because undertale reminded me of earthbound in the trailer! I Always wanted to do the mother serie, but undertale was the last push i needed for it!

I did the three in a row and then undertale, it was wonderfull

well except mother 1, it was good for the time sure (and the presentation helps a lot, it doesn't aged much in comparison of other nes rpg, which is great), but except the music and some humor, it's pretty meh, mother 2 and 3 on the other hand, i should have done them sooner, they're great

Edit : wow this is awesome :

Nyeheheaven

Gonna have my mom play through it. She beat EarthBound last year, so I think she'll be able to appreciate this game well enough.

I kinda spoiled the nature of "Genocide" versus "Pacifist", but only because I know she would want me to give her guidance in that area :v

Damn, son. Wish my mom was balling enough to play EarthBound, let alone Undertale.

Damn, son. Wish my mom was balling enough to play EarthBound, let alone Undertale.

My mom's one of those "core" gamers

Played through the Phoenix Wright trilogy, beat Zelda 1 and 2 (the first on second quest), beat Journey (which for her is a big achievement because she was never very good with camera-controlled 3D games)

vladdamad

I've played up to the first town
the snow one
and I have to say I'm not really feeling it. It's kinda funny in places and the early-game twist
where you have to fight Toriel
was interesting but it's not that engaging to me so far. Should I keep going or is the start a fairly good indication of what the rest of the game will be like?

Orcastar

I've played up to the first town
the snow one
and I have to say I'm not really feeling it. It's kinda funny in places and the early-game twist
where you have to fight Toriel
was interesting but it's not that engaging to me so far. Should I keep going or is the start a fairly good indication of what the rest of the game will be like?

Keep going. You ain't seen nothing yet.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I figured - I'm watching the "real ending" on YouTube since I don't have time to put another ~5 hours in just because I killed one character. Pretty crazy!

Is there a good documentation of all the easter eggs that were hinted at? For example, all the weird little items I came across in the game? Like the snowball?

I did become everyone's friend - I was super friendly in every single case except for the one death I inflicted before I truly understood how the game worked :-(

Actually you can't become friends with Undyne because you killed someone when you go to trigger the event she says "I won't be friends with a murderer." if you killed anyone.

tomtom94

So I think I did something wrong. (Pacifist and general spoilers)

My first run was an accidental neutral run
because I killed Toriel
so I followed the
advice at the end of the game and reset and did a pacifist run, beat Asgore, etc, and got Flowey's message about how you need to go hang out with Undyne and Alphys

But my save game still says "Lv1 - The End" and booting it up again just spits me out before the final boss fight. Looking at guides doesn't seem to be helping.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
So I think I did something wrong. (Pacifist and general spoilers)

My first run was an accidental neutral run
because I killed Toriel
so I followed the
advice at the end of the game and reset and did a pacifist run, beat Asgore, etc, and got Flowey's message about how you need to go hang out with Undyne and Alphys

But my save game still says "Lv1 - The End" and booting it up again just spits me out before the final boss fight. Looking at guides doesn't seem to be helping.

Just go back into town from there and take the boat to Waterfall and go
to Undyne's house.

Dimmle

Boy, I know the early sentiment was that genocide run "spoils" the narrative, but after playing everything up to its final encounter I have to say that it's positively enhanced certain characters by adding dimension or displaying the true depth of their character and offers a clearer view of the game's overarching themes. It's an enrichment that feels essential to the complete idea of Undertale.

One admission is that, yeah, you're going to have a bad time. The vast majority of the run is not what I'd call fun. Then again, that seems to be the design.

(Ctrl+H "genocide" "hog wild")

My mom's one of those "core" gamers

Played through the Phoenix Wright trilogy, beat Zelda 1 and 2 (the first on second quest), beat Journey (which for her is a big achievement because she was never very good with camera-controlled 3D games)

Wow. My mom can't even find her way on the PS3's XMB in order to watch a Blu-ray movie.

aravuus

Boy, I know the early sentiment was that genocide run "spoils" the narrative, but after playing everything up to its final encounter I have to say that it's positively enhanced certain characters by adding dimension or displaying the true depth of their character and offers a clearer view of the game's overarching themes. It's an enrichment that feels essential to the complete idea of Undertale.

Spoils the narrative how?

Dimmle

Spoils the narrative how?
A lot of fans have reasonable qualms with how hog wild requires you to basically throw all of your new friends in the garbage which could be seen as a compromise of the game's personal themes, at least as they are presented in the scope of the first two runs.

dity

One admission is that, yeah, you're going to have a bad time. The vast majority of the run is not what I'd call fun. Then again, that seems to be the design.

I echo this. GenoHog run enhanced and enriched the game for me, especially the characters.

Hugstable

Banned
Beat the game yesterday with Pacifist ending. Started thinking about doing the Genocide run, but I just can't do it.
That message from Flowey after starting the game back in hit me hard.

Also what's Hog Wild? Is that just a genocide run? So many terms, I'm getting confused haha

Saikyo

Just in case
did you gave water to undyne? If not you cant befriend her and do the best ending, if you did go and befriend Papyrus, Undyne (her house is near the one from napsblock) and Alphys

DNAbro

Beat the game yesterday with Pacifist ending. Started thinking about doing the Genocide run, but I just can't do it.
That message from Flowey after starting the game back in hit me hard.

Also what's Hog Wild? Is that just a genocide run? So many terms, I'm getting confused haha

some people just use that term instead of genocide cause connotations of the word genocide.

I'm gonna be honest, if someone isn't feeling the game by the time they get to Snowedin I'd probably tell them to stop playing. I really think the whole game is consistently strong and if by that point someone hasn't connected with the humor or characters or combat then I don't think they'll get much out of the rest of the game, regardless of the ramp up in terms of combat and story. The game didn't connect and that's fine, some games don't work for people. I've never been an advocate of pushing on past initial dislike to finish or keep playing a game because rarely has the end experience ever retroactively made me enjoy the unenjoyable stuff from before to get there. I never said "I'm glad I spent 5 hours not enjoying this game." A good 2 hour end game doesn't mean that the 4 hours you played before were a worthwhile part of the experience. A game can most certainly have highs and lows but you need to be along for it and understand those lows and not just dislike them without a healthy safety net of what you do like.

I think pushing it so hard to get people to enjoy this wonderful game and sharing it with them is a noble endeavor but I also think the community is starting to get a bit of a blowback because of how hard we push and resist people who don't like the game.

Ignoring that, my relationship with this game is weird because I'm thinking about saving all the fan art I come across for no particular reason other than to have it which is something I last did when I was like, 13.

aravuus

BUT BAD TIME!

FUN TIME

YOU'RE GONNA HAVE A FUN TIME

I really would encourage people to at least try the genocide run. If you can't handle it - fair enough. I love dark shit so it was right up my alley.

I'm gonna be honest, if someone isn't feeling the game by the time they get to Snowedin I'd probably tell them to stop playing.

Yup. If you don't like the skeletons, it's probably never gonna get any better for you.

Don't let the puns turn you off, though. Puns are stupid and forever unfunny.

the mother series is a good start and you will absolutely get a sense for undertale's roots. here are a few other games that i would consider to be either related or similar in tone ( or also by toby fox :V )

Hallow's End also deserves a shoutout. Really cute Halloween themed EB romhack that uses some clever tricks to show cutscenes and replace PSI power effects and other bits... and it's more tonally in line with Earthbound's themes and Undertale than the Radiation Halloween Hack.

Toby's Halloween Hack was made when he was a teenager and it shows.
Who needs PK Rockin when you have PSI Bitch Kill Omega. Woo.
It's interesting, but I don't know if I enjoy it.

You really should play Earthbound before giving any of the romhacks a try, though, because several of them assume you know where the plot goes and how the game works.

EDIT: Also LISA, seriously, even though it's more of a painful funny experience and no I don't think you'll walk away from it feeling great. I guess you could say it can be more in line with the geno/whatever-we're-calling-it mode in tone. Though... not quite. It's just, it's different.

Hugstable

Banned
FUN TIME

YOU'RE GONNA HAVE A FUN TIME

I really would encourage people to at least try the genocide run. If you can't handle it - fair enough. I love dark shit so it was right up my alley.

haha I'm still thinking about doing it. Like I'm having trouble starting another game after this one, because I got that genocide run in the back of my mind and want to know what happens if you actually do that path and see what this "bad time" is. I got MGSV to play, but all I'm doing is going back and forth in my head on whether I should do a genocide run or not while browsing gaf. ahhhhhh why must I be so curious!?!?

Moonlight

Banned

I'm just not terribly interested in the idea of it. Or more specifically I lack curiosity or stomach for it, and I don't think the game's constructed in that I should care.

dity

I'm just not terribly interested in the idea of it. Or more specifically I lack curiosity or stomach for it, and I don't think the game's constructed in that I should care.
Tony hides all the best music in the GenoHog run. That's the kicker.

kurona_bright

Neo Member
Eh, as much as all the badtime music is really awesome, my favorite song is still the titular track. I nearly cried during the scene it played.

"Memory" and "Hope and Dreams" are also tracks I like a lot. The first because the moment when I put the umbrella down and heard the music start playing felt incredibly small and intimate, and the second because there is just something about hearing those opening notes while the text box reads
"It's the end of everything

Dunkley

Eh, as much as all the badtime music is really awesome, my favorite song is still the titular track. I nearly cried during the scene it played.

"Memory" and "Hope and Dreams" are also tracks I like a lot. The first because the moment when I put the umbrella down and heard the music start playing felt incredibly small and intimate, and the second because there is just something about hearing those opening notes while the text box reads
"It's the end of everything

"Last Goodbye" is my favorite one.

Loved the moment it accompanies too.

True Pacifist Run:
Especially after doing it over just so I can access the Snowdin Door

Thankfully, that's not actually the case. They don't show up on the bandcamp page, but it says at the bottom of the page "contains 101 tracks, tracks past 77 hidden".

Note that "Hopes and Dreams" is also one of the hidden tracks, and if the OST was missing that it'd be absolutely criminal.

I have the OST. The last 24 tracks include some Genocide themes, but not all of them.

Here's the tracklist (and where the songs play iirc), spoilers all:
78 - You Idiot [Flowey's cutscene after you beat Asgore]
79 - Your Best Nightmare [Flowey's boss theme]
80 - Finale [beating Flowey cutscene]
81 - An Ending [neutral ending cutscene]
82 - She's Playing Piano [forgot where that is]
83 - Here We Are [True Lab]
84 - Amalgam [Amalgamate theme]
85 - Fallen Down (Reprise) [forgot where this plays]
86 - Don't Give Up [I think this is where Flowey catches your friends and they tell you to fight]
87 - Hopes and Dreams [Asriel battle theme]
88 - Burn in Despair! [Asriel 2nd form]
89 - SAVE the World [freeing your friends' souls]
90 - His Theme [Asriel's theme]
91 - Final Power [I think this plays when the souls break out]
92 - Reunited [ending cutscene]
93 - Menu (Full) [post pacifist menu]
94 - Respite [if you go on a walk after beating Asriel]
95 - Bring it in, Guys! [pacifist credits]
96 - Last Goodbye [another part of the credits]
97 - But The Earth Refused To Die [no idea]
98 - Battle Aganst A True Hero [Genocide Undyne fight]
99 - Power of "NEO" [Genocide Mettaton fight]
100 - Megalovania [Sans fight]
101 - Good Night [I think that's the last cutscene in pacifist ending]

So as you can see, only the unique stuff from Genocide got into the OST, not the slowed down versions.

Dimmle

Also, those who don't go hog wild should at least look up the Hotland and CORE slow jams. They're way too enjoyable for the tenor of that path.

Puruzi

Banned
I have the OST. The last 24 tracks include some Genocide themes, but not all of them.

Here's the tracklist (and where the songs play iirc), spoilers all:
78 - You Idiot [Flowey's cutscene after you beat Asgore]
79 - Your Best Nightmare [Flowey's boss theme]
80 - Finale [beating Flowey cutscene]
81 - An Ending [neutral ending cutscene]
82 - She's Playing Piano [forgot where that is]
83 - Here We Are [True Lab]
84 - Amalgam [Amalgamate theme]
85 - Fallen Down (Reprise) [forgot where this plays]
86 - Don't Give Up [I think this is where Flowey catches your friends and they tell you to fight]
87 - Hopes and Dreams [Asriel battle theme]
88 - Burn in Despair! [Asriel 2nd form]
89 - SAVE the World [freeing your friends' souls]
90 - His Theme [Asriel's theme]
91 - Final Power [I think this plays when the souls break out]
92 - Reunited [ending cutscene]
93 - Menu (Full) [post pacifist menu]
94 - Respite [if you go on a walk after beating Asriel]
95 - Bring it in, Guys! [pacifist credits]
96 - Last Goodbye [another part of the credits]
97 - But The Earth Refused To Die [no idea]
98 - Battle Aganst A True Hero [Genocide Undyne fight]
99 - Power of "NEO" [Genocide Mettaton fight]
100 - Megalovania [Sans fight]
101 - Good Night [I think that's the last cutscene in pacifist ending]

So as you can see, only the unique stuff from Genocide got into the OST, not the slowed down versions.
She's playing the Piano plays right before you enter Undyne's house
Also, those who don't go hog wild should at least look up the Hotland and CORE slow jams. They're way too enjoyable for the tenor of that path.
The slow versions of the tracks sound much worse imo

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not going to lie, I'm so so annoyed right now. Tried for the genocide run, didn't use a guide, boy that was a terrible idea. After hitting the ending and realizing nothing really changed, I decided to look up to see what I missed, assuming I had to do something similar now with my save like you do with a true pacifist run.

I basically did a 'neutral' run without ever realizing it, and have to replay the whole game again, from the start, to see any appreciable change. And it looks like I missed, a lot. What a waste of 5 hours. This is the only time in video gaming I have ever so sincerely wished I could have those 5 hours back so deeply.

I should have just used a damn guide. What a stupid mistake.

ike_

Popular, anime-laden, and always charming Twitch streamer Cirno_TV is approaching the end of his first playthrough right now. He just saw
tsundereplane
for the first time and nearly lost it.

justjim89

I just finished this for the first time and I have some questions.

I was at level 5 before the final fight, killed Toreil because I didn't understand how not to, and probably one or two other random monsters. Spared Mettaton. Tried to spare Asgore after whittling down his health, but then Flowy killed him and did his whole thing, which was a real mindfuck. Tried sparing Flowy in the end several times but it didn't let me. Sans said in the credits that Undeyne took after and made things all militant.

Was that the bad ending? Was it too late to try and spare Asgore? What effect did killing Toreil have? To do a second playthrough, do I just reset my file? How do I spare Toreil?

Top Bottom