• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Undertale |OT| Indie RPG with determination and spider bake sales

Corpekata

Banned
About how long is this game? I got a big back- and current-log that I'm working through but this game has me intrigued. Very tempted to just pick it up and play it to completion if it's short enough.

6ish hours for a single run, though you may feel tempted to do the other endings. Each run should take in that neighborhood too.

Anne

I'm really glad I managed to avoid almost any info on this game going in. I actually didn't even have an idea of what the combat looked like so the opening bit got me pretty good. I hope more people manage to avoid the big outburst of people saying there are different types of runs and just play naturally.

I need to think on the ways the game tells you to stop "checklisting" for your ending with the
Toriel
fight and some other stuff. It obviously got the Kill Screen reviewer riled up since it took his expectations of what the game wanted and shoved them back in his face. Pretty neat how it knows players will instinctively shoot for their desired ending based of what they believe the dev intends of their actions, then just laughs at them and tries to set them up on something different.

A lot of games use multiple endings and different runs to give the player more content, achievements, bragging rights, more extrinsic rewards and all that. Players also want to experience "what the dev intended" then go discuss that as canon on the internet. It's true getting the different endings offers more content and replayability in this game, but it's very clear the dev wants you to explore the decisions you naturally made and try to find different ways of investing in the world, whether they be good or bad. It's also telling there are no meaningful rewards for challenging yourself outside of a credit sequence.

Fits the subversive nature of the game pretty well, just more of a modern trope.

Dimmle

About how long is this game? I got a big back- and current-log that I'm working through but this game has me intrigued. Very tempted to just pick it up and play it to completion if it's short enough.

6 hours minimum!

I'm really glad I managed to avoid almost any info on this game going in. I actually didn't even have an idea of what the combat looked like so the opening bit got me pretty good. I hope more people manage to avoid the big outburst of people saying there are different types of runs and just play naturally.

I need to think on the ways the game tells you to stop "checklisting" for your ending with the
Toriel
fight and some other stuff. It obviously got the Kill Screen reviewer riled up since it took his expectations of what the game wanted and shoved them back in his face. Pretty neat how it knows players will instinctively shoot for their desired ending based of what they believe the dev intends of their actions, then just laughs at them and tries to set them up on something different.

A lot of games use multiple endings and different runs to give the player more content, achievements, bragging rights, more extrinsic rewards and all that. Players also want to experience "what the dev intended" then go discuss that as canon on the internet. It's true getting the different endings offers more content and replayability in this game, but it's very clear the dev wants you to explore the decisions you naturally made and try to find different ways of investing in the world, whether they be good or bad. It's also telling there are no meaningful rewards for challenging yourself outside of a credit sequence.

Fits the subversive nature of the game pretty well, just more of a modern trope.

Really great expression of why Undertale works right here. Undertale's "thesis" and the Kill Screen reviewer's philosophy are diametrically opposed. You'll have a better time if you eschew any notion of "what you think the game wants," i.e. "optimal play" and simply enjoy what you get. Then,
be a monster,
reset, and experience something else.

Anne

Really great expression of why Undertale works right here. Undertale's "thesis" and the Kill Screen reviewer's philosophy are diametrically opposed. You'll have a better time if you eschew any notion of "what you think the game wants," i.e. "optimal play" and simply enjoy what you get. Then,
be a monster,
reset, and experience something else.

There's a lot more to it, but that's the basic idea. Not that you're implying it, but I do want to be clear I'm not really dogging on the KS reviewer. I imagine a lot of players who've been trained to play games like this (reviewers are probably more susceptible to this) ended up having a similar reaction. It's just a super poor effect morality meters and multiple endings have on players, especially with common design. I'd like to think the way the game presented this, especially in subsequent playthroughs where it is more obvious, helped most players feel okay about it. Going by that review and this forum, some are not.

It is unfortunate that some players can't shake that mindset and end up alienated by things like this though :/

Meta-commentary in gaming/online culture, is something the game explores incredibly well. I'm wanting to say most of it is intentional, but I also believe some of it is a happy accident by nature of the game.

On a side note, it's really cool the game made me think of that while at the same time I cried nonstop through one of the endings and got insanely attached to the characters. Really special little monster.

Sounds quite managable, cool thanks!

It only took me 5 first time round and I wasn't rushing, talked to everyone and did most things possible on a neutral run. Even had a little run around the whole world just before the ending to check if I'd missed anything.

With this game a lot of your time is spent reading the dialogue so it probably depends how quickly and how closely you read.

It's a good thing too, cos the game is worth playing through twice to see other ways you can handle things. Being nice and short (especially when you can skim through dialogue you already know), makes that a lot more appealing.

DNAbro

Toriel

I wish I didn't see much going in. I looked up gameplay videos and saw the final boss fights right at the start. Well it was what convinced me to get the game so at least that happened.

Also new avatar since I'm free from old one.

Kientin

Eh nah. I don't agree with that notion at all, not from someone who hasn't a tually fought the bag of bones himself.

That's fair. However, I can't really agree with you either because you haven't fought
Asgore
under those conditions. I'm not really interested in turning this into a debate though. If someone who fought both came and said
Sans
was harder I'll take that all back right then. The main point of my post earlier was that
Asgore
is pretty hard under those conditions and
you get a couple lines of recognition at the end for playing through the whole game that way.

Started this up today, and... well, here we are eight hours later. This is pretty fucking awesome, huh?

So, quick question regarding the ending.

(I knew nothing going in and I don't know what kind of 'run' to tag this as, so we'll just say spoilers for, like, everything, I guess.)
So I just finished the game, having killed no one. Asshole flower iced the king and went all Fez-meta, relaunched the game a number of times, etc. It was pretty great.

So at the end, Flowey told me I could have possibly had a happier ending if I had befriended Undyne (I gave water to her but never thought of actually going back to visit... come to think of it, I pretty much entirely neglected any backtracking to the Waterfall area). Is it possible to backtrack from the final save point and affect things with her enough to get a different ending? Or do I pretty much have to Restart at this point?

Started this up today, and... well, here we are eight hours later. This is pretty fucking awesome, huh?

(I knew nothing going in and I don't know what kind of 'run' to tag this as, so we'll just say spoilers for, like, everything, I guess.)
So I just finished the game, having killed no one. Asshole flower iced the king and went all Fez-meta, relaunched the game a number of times, etc. It was pretty great.

So at the end, Flowey told me I could have possibly had a happier ending if I had befriended Undyne (I gave water to her but never thought of actually going back to visit... come to think of it, I pretty much entirely neglected any backtracking to the Waterfall area). Is it possible to backtrack from the final save point and affect things with her enough to get a different ending? Or do I pretty much have to Restart at this point?

Yes, just backtrack from your last save. Don't reset.

After you finish the necessary sidequests, return back
to Asgore and fight him again for the true ending.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl

If you got the instruction to do that you can do it with your current save file.

Yes, just backtrack from your last save. Don't reset.

After you finish the necessary sidequests, return back
to Asgore and fight him again for the true ending.
If you got the instruction to do that you can do it with your current save file.

Awesome. Thanks!

Diving back in...

Edit: Fucking hell, Papyrus
jumping out the window
is the hardest I've laughed in a while.
Edit edit:
WHEN UNDYNE PICKS YOU UP AND JUMPS OVER THE TABLE
AUGH this game is so good

So I've gotten past the
second Mettaton "fight", with the cool jetpack segment
. Have to say, this game has been an escapist blast, I know I should focus on more important things, but the game is an excellent "comfort zone" for me atm.

It also has made me less sad about the state of gaming (mostly AAA), a feeling that set in largely because of Konami being horrible and obviously the effect that had on my most anticipated game for years, MGSV. I also felt that Kojima was at fault for a large number of the problem's laundry list of problems, about a 40% Kojima, 60% Konami split on fault for the game's failings, but this is getting beside the point.

My point is that this game has been a really great time for me, and has washed away a large amount of cynicism that built up about the gaming industry. Unfortunately, the trans-pacific-partnership deal and the thread about it here on GAF has brought up more grave concerns for me, but at least Undertale re-affirmed that gaming is not stagnant and can still be wonderful. This game and the NX news makes me excited for the future as a consumer, and as a hopeful college student working towards a job in the industry, Undertale is making me, shall I say, determined to keep aiming for the stars so to speak.

The game just oozes charm, and I hope to one day be able to make something with as much heart. I'm no jack-of-all trades though so even though I'd want to be able to compose my own music, I don't know the first place to even start. Still, its an inspiring game, more so than most I've played recently, maybe 999 was the last one I played like that (I played it last year). One thing I worry about is that the combat system is so brilliant (particularly the abstraction of dodging/defending in a "bullet hell" style), that I feel is has to be adopted by other RPGs, indie or otherwise. But I'm worried people will be too afraid to borrow the idea and expand on it and the innovation won't take off. I think Toby Fox would be ecstatic for the system to become more widespread because of his influence, and it really does make turn based combat so much more fresh in my mind.

From my point of view, I've wanted to make an action rpg like the "Tales of" games, mixed with a little bit more of the technical gameplay of character action games like DMC and Bayonetta for at least a year now. I have some decent story ideas and the game has been evolving and stewing in my head for a while. But now, with Undertale, I realize that turn based combat can be more engaging. I realize good turn based systems are about balancing buffs, status effects, turns, party health etc. and that this balance is at times very engaging to manage, but the skill based elements of Undertale really stand out to me.

In a way the game seems a bit like Paper Mario actually, and now I'm more than ever interested in the possibilities of making a turn based game instead of my original plan.

Edit:

Oh yeah, forgot the original reason I stopped by. I found this cute image of sans and Papyrus. I wouldn't consider it really spoilery at all but I might as well try out the spoiler image function on GAF while I'm on desktop.

444973981097f91ff4e315f25beda8fd.png

I read Kill Screen's review out of curiosity, and one thing that always strikes me as interesting is when a reviewer/player nonchalantly states a gender for the main character.

I appreciate how the official" gender is ambiguous, and so assigning him or her one, you're already taking a great step forward towards claiming that avatar as a projection of who you want them to be
only to have it subverted

It's really brilliant.

Continuing with my post-first-ending stuff and... what. whaaaaaat.

Edit: still not sure so we'll just say full spoilers:
True lab. You get into the comfy bed. A ghostly figure appears, reaches slowly towards you... and pulls the sheets up over you, pats you on the head and dissipates.

This game.

Dimmle

Continuing with my post-first-ending stuff and... what. whaaaaaat.

Edit: still not sure so we'll just say full spoilers:
True lab. You get into the comfy bed. A ghostly figure appears, reaches slowly towards you... and pulls the sheets up over you, pats you on the head and dissipates.

This game.

If I made a word cloud for my verbal reactions to Undertale, "this" and "game" would dwarf everything else.

Fireblend

Banned
Done with my pacifist run. I'm pretty sleepy so I'll make a follow up post later, but for now I just have a question the wiki wasn't able to answer:

In this last pacifist iteration I found two green keys in different places in Asgore house. One was in the kitchen and the other in the hallway where the rooms are. What are those for?

Done with my pacifist run. I'm pretty sleepy so I'll make a follow up post later, but for now I just have a question the wiki wasn't able to answer:

In this last pacifist iteration I found two green keys in different places in Asgore house. One was in the kitchen and the other in the hallway where the rooms are. What are those for?
To open the locks so you can get to the boss lol

You know what I appreciate in a game?

It's that one moment, that shining, thoroughly earned moment, where a certain track kicks in and you feel in your bones that it is time to FUCK SHIT UP. #thisgame

kewlmyc

Started and beat the game yesterday, neutral and true ending. I was told this game got to Gurren Lagann levels of ridiculousness with the final bosses, and they weren't kidding. What a glorious and memorable romp this was.

everything-spoilers.
So I just booted up the game after the true pacifist ending, and I'm greeted with Flowey practically begging me to not reset "the timeline" and put them through everything again.

I mean... it's such a small touch, just a few lines of text, but man does it add to the weight of everything.

...it's possibly a rash decision, but this is a top-10-ever game for me. I'll have to figure out later what would get bumped out of the list, but this just has to be on there.

Permanently A

I really enjoyed the game but I wished I
had know how to spare Toriel
the first time around. Don't really feel like replaying it either.

Kater

Banned
Just coming in here again to say that I beat the full game, my first run was a neutral run (which I regretted so I reset it
right before the battle with Asgore
) and completely replayed the game on a Pacifist run.
I loved all the additional dialogue, all the goodbyes (when you go through the Underworld right before the end).
Also, this game actually was a joy, even for someone like me who normally doesn't like bullet hells. True, there were some tough fights but with some determination
(and Temmie armour)
I got through all of it.

It's worth it to replay it for the true pacifist ending. Most satisfying ending.

Edit:

Some sweet fanart.

tumblr_nvnumwcemu1sj6kito1_r1_1280.png

(source)

jb1234

I'm a little under three hours into the game, just after sparing
Undyne.
Sometimes I find myself in love with it (most everything in the first town) and other times, I find it a bit of a slog (the half and a hour or so leading up to the above spoiler). It's really astonishing that almost everything was handled by one man. The writing and music are especially terrific.

this game is meant to be played at lest two-three time One you know what to do, it's really fast to get to the end! If you really don't want to replay it because it's too long, you could try the no-mercy run, it's really quick, like 3-4 hours (but tthe two majors battle of this run are really hard, so if you like challenge it's meant for you)

and after doing that, i'm sure you'll want to do the true pacifist ending because.... reasons, you'll see

I finally completed the
true pacifist run
, now I should start the
genocide run
, as I can't find any uncommented playthroughs on youtube...
But I don't know if I have the determination after dat ending. >.>

I finally completed the
true pacifist run
, now I should start the
genocide run

I was just thinking about firing the game back up to do the same and feeling pretty much the same way lol. (Also wondering if it's best to make a backup of my current save before doing so.)

Dimmle

I finally completed the
true pacifist run
, now I should start the
genocide run

I was just thinking about firing the game back up to do the same and feeling pretty much the same way lol. (Also wondering if it's best to make a backup of my current save before doing so.)
Back up your data, steel your heart, and go hog wild.

It's worth your time.

epmode

Is there a guide to backing everything up so that I can see the genocide route without forever screwing my game? I want everyone to be happy but oh god, I have to see the new fights and stuff.

Ferrio

Banned

Same thing happened to me. Replay it, the game is very very short when you don't read all the little things you did the first time. I completed a pacifist run from scratch in like 3 hours. It was very much worth it.

SOLDIER

I got the Neutral and Pacifist endings, and I'd really like to experience Genocide.

But I've been warned that Genocide kind of borks your game for all eternity with no way to get around it. Something involving the

Steam Cloud

in fact.

But I don't think it would be as impactful if I just watched a video of it, so I was wondering if there is a workaround where I can move my existing happy times save, go through Genocide bad times, and then switch back once I was done.

DNAbro

I got the Neutral and Pacifist endings, and I'd really like to experience Genocide.

But I've been warned that Genocide kind of borks your game for all eternity with no way to get around it. Something involving the

Steam Cloud

in fact.

But I don't think it would be as impactful if I just watched a video of it, so I was wondering if there is a workaround where I can move my existing happy times save, go through Genocide bad times, and then switch back once I was done.

I believe if you know what the file is and delete it and also turn off steam cloud it is fine. I read something about how you can corrupt the file as well and trick steam into thinking it is alright so it doesn't download the file.

Yeah, there are technically ways around it after the fact you can find via google, but under normal circumstances the game is willing to remind you that you were a monster even when you want to stop being one.

Man, going though genocide and
the Undyne fight
is no frigging joke. Bashing my head against it for about an hour now and getting close (last couple had them to about 1/8 health) but I think I need to step away from a bit lol

Well, after 30 hours I think I'm satisfied. Did True Pacifist, a goofed attempt at Genocide, correct Genocide, and True Pacifist again.

The last run also included getting some relatively secret goodies like
SECRET GOODIES
going into Mettaton's house, doing the quick-spare against Muffet, using the Butterscotch pie vs. Asgore, seeing Sans' secret rooms, and the true pacifist epilogue conversation with Asriel

Seeing how everything comes together is great, and I can't get enough of how it self-references itself. Some small examples I picked out:

GENOCIDE+PACIFIST SPOILERS
When you're saving Papyrus/Sans from Asriel Dreemur, one of the attacks the "lost souls" uses is from Sans' fight, not Papyrus'.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrPGlwRbq0M&t=28m0s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vr4IYjeplJA&t=40s

Sans and Asgore both say "birds are singing, flowers are blooming" immediately/shortly before their fights.

"But nobody came" comes up a bunch during Flowey's later speeches, and in some True Lab stuff.

I love this game. Easily one of the best I've played in a very long time.

Dimmle

Boy, uh...

SUPER-SECRET HOG WILD SPOILERS

Sans's secret room sure seems to be explicitly hooking into a yet unexplored subplot. The Gaster stuff has to come to a head in some form eventually, right? It seems inextricable from Papyrus's and Sans's mysterious backstory.

Toby please

Weiss

Banned
Boy, uh...

SUPER-SECRET HOG WILD SPOILERS

Sans's secret room sure seems to be explicitly hooking into a yet unexplored subplot. The Gaster stuff has to come to a head in some form eventually, right? It seems inextricable from Papyrus's and Sans's mysterious backstory.

Toby please

I think that
Gaster won't appear beyond what we dig up in the files. He's a very deliberate set up to dummied out characters.

Gaster is pretty obviously connected to Sans' abilities and perceptions of time, though.

Dimmle

I think that
Gaster won't appear beyond what we dig up in the files. He's a very deliberate set up to dummied out characters.

Gaster is pretty obviously connected to Sans' abilities and perceptions of time, though.

I agree that it would be somewhat of a compromise of
Gaster's conceit (of being erased completely from the world) if Toby ever released additional content that delved further into his backstory but so many of the easter eggs (especially the sound test) seem to suggest the possibility that it will be explored. I'm sure Toby knows the full story but whether or not he plans on sharing... honestly, it feels like he could go either way. From what I've gleaned of Toby's withholding personality, it does seem almost more likely that he's setting all these hints up with no intention of payoff.

Top Bottom