• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Undertale |OT| Indie RPG with determination and spider bake sales

Finished this game earlier today! Got what I'm presuming is the
Neutral Mercy Route, and, well... let's just say I don't think I'm getting much sleep tonight. Flowey, you are one scary being. I can't even steel myself to start Floweytale after seeing what happened with the intro. Mind you, it's 2AM right now where I am, so... I'll try it when I wake up and have calmed down a bit.

Push through! Admittedly, that is a task in its own accord.
Especially if you haven't experienced the True Laboratory yet.

If you're going True Pacifist route, I think you'll be okay!

DNAbro

Okay, on my second run...

I found the True Lab and now I'm stuck in Asgore's Castle with vines blocking my exit.

"the flower is gone"

oh shit

I suppose it's not possible to go back anymore, is it?

yup

full steam ahead to the true ending

Ruff

I really hope something becomes of the voiced Undertale playthrough. Some of the auditions for it are top notch. While some have pretty questionable microphone quality but can obviously do the part well.

DodgeDusk

Push through! Admittedly, that is a task in its own accord.
Especially if you haven't experienced the True Laboratory yet.

If you're going True Pacifist route, I think you'll be okay!
I was trying to get a True Pacifist run, but I thought
killing Toriel was mandatory. I should have paid that frog more attention...

I tried fighting Flowey just now as well, and died within 20 seconds. I am not good at Bullet Hell games

EDIT:
Second time's the charm! Despite scaring me to death last night, I showed Flowey mercy. Now, do I do a second playthrough of this and attempt the Genocide run, or do I resume SMT4?

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Honestly, i feel this game falls off a cliff once you leave the Ruins.
Skeletons are fun, but i'm in the Hotlands... and i would've already dropped this like a hot brick, if not for people telling me the ending is worth it.

The gameplay itself is beyond atrocious. All bosses have been a pure survival minigame, which is terrible. There's no RPG in it; And since i, fresh off playing MGSV, decided not to kill anything or anyone... i'm probably too weak to go further.

Waterfall boss,
Undine
took like 12 tries, and now hotlands' boss,
Spider Queen, i guess?
is just making me want to destroy a joypad.

Endurance runs at minigames are just not goddamn fun.

/rant

Neoweee

Honestly, i feel this game falls off a cliff once you leave the Ruins.
Skeletons are fun, but i'm in the Hotlands... and i would've already dropped this like a hot brick, if not for people telling me the ending is worth it.

The gameplay itself is beyond atrocious. All bosses have been a pure survival minigame, which is terrible. There's no RPG in it; And since i, fresh off playing MGSV, decided not to kill anything or anyone... i'm probably too weak to go further.

Waterfall boss,
Undine
Spider Queen, i guess?

/rant

So i take it you are making a bit of a mistake and
forcing yourself to go pacifist on your first time
? You're torturing yourself by playing the game on low-level very hard mode from the get go. You'd be having lot more fun, I think, if you weren't trying to anything special.

Dimmle

I was trying to get a True Pacifist run, but I thought
killing Toriel was mandatory. I should have paid that frog more attention...

I tried fighting Flowey just now as well, and died within 20 seconds. I am not good at Bullet Hell games

EDIT:
Second time's the charm! Despite scaring me to death last night, I showed Flowey mercy. Now, do I do a second playthrough of this and attempt the Genocide run, or do I resume SMT4?
Try sparing
Toriel
this time around; the true ending gives more context for a genocide run anyway (and has significant new content).

Puruzi

Banned
So i take it you are making a giant mistake and
? A giant, giant mistake. You're torturing yourself by playing the game on very hard mode from the get go. You'd be having lot more fun, I think, if you weren't trying to anything special.
That's not a mistake, I played pacifist on my first run and I love the game. Still haven't done another run. It's not even hard

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
? A giant, giant mistake. You're torturing yourself by playing the game on very hard mode from the get go. You'd be having lot more fun, I think, if you weren't trying to anything special.

Thing is.... i honestly thought the battle system was 'Talk to people', and that i'd get rewarded for not killing.
Instead, i'm guessing, there's hp\atk\def bonuses for kills?

Dimmle

The gameplay itself is beyond atrocious. All bosses have been a pure survival minigame, which is terrible.

/rant
It doesn't seem like this game is for you. I can't imagine the ending will salvage it for you. It'll never be the RPG you want.

Neoweee

Thing is.... i honestly thought the battle system was 'Talk to people', and that i'd get rewarded for not killing.
Instead, i'm guessing, there's hp\atk\def bonuses for kills?

Yes, it is a regular RPG in that sense.

Not killing is much, much harder than killing something things.
Getting through everything at a low a level when you don't know the encounters, or may have missed armor, or aren't stocked up on items, or don't know their "tricks" can easily be a very frustrating experience.

It doesn't seem like this game is for you. I can't imagine the ending will salvage it for you. It'll never be the RPG you want.

Disagree. All three of his complaints are driven by the way he has chosen to play the game.

Cowie

I definitely disagree with this sentiment. I honestly don't think it's particularly difficult to play it that way? Myself and plenty of others played that way the first time through, and for a game that prides itself on the point that "No one has to get hurt" I don't see how you could come to the conclusion that that approach is a mistake.

Niahak

Waterfall boss,
Undine
Spider Queen, i guess?

/rant

(spider fight)
If you still have a spider donut, you can use it in that fight to skip it entirely.

The waterfall boss was really tough for me too. I've heard it was the hardest, but I'm not at the end myself yet. Just a little past where you are.

I found bisicles to be a really cost-effective way to maintain HP. You can backtrack to that store fairly easily. There is some equipment along the way that helps by making invincibility last a bit longer, too.

Neoweee

I definitely disagree with this sentiment. I honestly don't think it's particularly difficult to play it that way? Myself and plenty of others played that way the first time through, and for a game that prides itself on the point that "No one has to get hurt" I don't see how you could come to the conclusion that that approach is a mistake.

He's not enjoying the game because he is dying over and over to bosses. If you want to put up with that, fine, but it totally sounds like he'd be enjoying the game substantially more if gave himself a little freedom to add variety to encounters, and to give him a little more EXP so he isn't dying to bosses over and over.

The game gives players freedom to play it as they see fit. That doesn't mean that every player is best off doing it a specific way that goes along with its tagline. Are people really disagreeing that the battle system and game have a bit more variety if you actually fight some things?

Do the first run however you want to; it doesn't really matter until your second run.

I completely agree.

People are ruining their experience by knowing too much about the game going into it. Playing it blind and doing whatever you want and figuring things out and learning what is going on was one of the most enjoyable aspects of the game. Knowing anything at all, and that
True Pacifist
was a thing of note would have made it slower, less varied, less enjoyable, less interesting, and less replayable. And if you're not throwing yourself at a wall, an initial playthrough is only like 3~4 hours long, so you aren't even losing much time to do that and another run.

Puruzi

Banned
He's not enjoying the game because he is dying over and over to bosses. If you want to put up with that, fine, but it totally sounds like he'd be enjoying the game substantially more if gave himself a little freedom to add variety to encounters, and to give him a little more EXP so he isn't dying to bosses over and over.

The game gives players freedom to play it as they see fit. That doesn't mean that every player is best off doing it a specific way that goes along with its tagline. Are people really disagreeing that the battle system and game have a bit more variety if you actually fight some things?

I completely agree.

People are ruining their experience by knowing too much about the game going into it. Playing it blind and doing whatever you want and figuring things out and learning what is going on was one of the most enjoyable aspects of the game. Knowing anything at all, and that
True Pacifist
was a thing of note would have made it slower, less varied, less enjoyable, less interesting, and less replayable. And if you're not throwing yourself at a wall, an initial playthrough is only like 3~4 hours long, so you aren't even losing much time to do that and another run.
I did not know anything prior to playing. I didn't kill anyone because I saw thatvit said I didn't havevto, and because Toriel said not to. The game was not less enjoyable at all.

Cowie

I have my doubts that he'd be enjoying it much more even if he was leveling up, though. He'd still have to engage with the dodging mechanics, and those don't seem to be doing anything for him. He's looking for a more traditional rpg experience, and even playing it like a traditional rpg it seems unlikely he'd really get that.

I guess a different way to look at it is that.. the game very much advertises itself as one where you can play without fighting -- it's reasonable for him to have chosen to play it that way, and if he isn't enjoying that, he isn't enjoying the game. Undertale chastises you for playing violently, it's reasonable to want to avoid fighting. It's not like he's doing a specialized run that people only do for extra challenge after they've beaten the game, this is a perfectly normal path. If he doesn't enjoy that, he doesn't enjoy the game. And that's fine.

Dimmle

People are saying Aureon is doing it right, when all of his complaints fall in that bucket. I think he'd clearly be enjoying the game more if he weren't doing that.

I'm just judging from the criteria they provide. Adopting a new play style won't change the central mechanic of the battle system.

DNAbro

The game is balanced in a way that going pacifist shouldn't be that difficult if you are getting armor and buying food. If you are really really having trouble, get the Temmie armor from Temmie village. Pretty much turns on easy mode apparently.

Neoweee

It feels like there's been a shift over the last week or two in the community. I thought one of the biggest strengths was that the game lets you play it how you want, and that the rewards for each approach are asymmetric in an interesting way that highlights some aspects of the game's story.

Now it seems like everyone is gungho
True Pacifist
, but honestly, I think on the first play-through that ends up playing against a bunch of the game's strengths.

The game is balanced in a way that going pacifist shouldn't be that difficult if you are getting armor and buying food. If you are really really having trouble, get the Temmie armor from Temmie village. Pretty much turns on easy mode apparently.

It's his first playthrough. He doesn't know where any armor is (he could have easily missed some). He doesn't know where or what the Temmie village is. He certainly can't afford the Temmie Armor.

I'm not saying that pacifist is too hard. But it is unquestionably harder than a "regular" playthrough, which is why I'm suggesting doing a "regular" run first.

Puruzi

Banned
It feels like there's been a shift over the last week or two in the community. I thought one of the biggest strengths was that the game lets you play it how you want, and that the rewards for each approach are asymmetric in an interesting way that highlights some aspects of the game's story.

True Pacifist
, but honestly, I think on the first play-through that ends up playing against a bunch of the game's strengths.
Is there something wrong here? Nobody is saying that it's wrong to kill anyone, just that it's fine if you play pacifist first. Not sure what you're going on about.

It's funny that you mention Temmie village. I went through on a True Pacifist run my first time and could never find it, even after I talked to the boatman and he gave me the hint. Yet all of my friends who ended up going on a neutral run stumbled into it accidentally, without even finding the path. I dunno, doesn't really add much to the conversation, but I thought it was amusing.

Dimmle

True Pacifist

No one here has been saying that and the people that believe that have always believed that. I, for one, totally support playing however you like the first time around and even think that killing one or two bosses enhances your experience later on the true pacifist run.

Aureon seems to have played exactly as they wanted (although they seemed to have the unfortunate preconception that pacifism is mandatory or optimal). Playing differently now because some people on a message board suggested it probably won't change their outlook on the game, which will continue to be about dodging bullet patterns.

omgkitty

I'm sure this has been talked about, but is the main character a boy or a girl? I figured it was a boy, but I saw a review mentioning it was a girl.

Neoweee

Sorry for the argumentative derail. I'm just trying to help Aureon enjoy the game more, and I think mixed run is liekly more suitable for him.

vladdamad

I really, really, really didn't like this game when I started, but once I hit around the midway point
Undyne boss fight onwards
the game kicks up a notch. The gameplay is insane amounts of fun, it makes me kind of sad that there is no boss rush mode. I think the story isn't as groundbreaking as people are making it out to be (and I thought we got past the stage of indie games being about SPOILERS
"aren't you the real bad guy for killing all those things"
but it's presented phenomenally well.

To those of you who think you have finished the game, you are not truly done until you've done a playthrough where you haven't killed anyone. The true ending is 100% worth it and some of the twists are really surprising. All of it just feels like a cross between WarioWare, Ace Attorney and Earthbound and I absolutely love it.

Question about the Genocide run:
I've heard that if you do this you mess your game up and are unable to play it again. Should I go for it and stop at a certain point so that my save isn't wrecked? Am I just better off watching the cutscenes on YouTube? I really don't want to miss any of the story, even if it is as horrifying in this run as people say.

Puruzi

Banned
I really, really, really didn't like this game when I started, but once I hit around the midway point
Undyne boss fight onwards
the game kicks up a notch. The gameplay is insane amounts of fun, it makes me kind of sad that there is no boss rush mode. I think the story isn't as groundbreaking as people are making it out to be (and I thought we got past the stage of indie games being about SPOILERS
"aren't you the real bad guy for killing all those things"
but it's presented phenomenally well.

To those of you who think you have finished the game, you are not truly done until you've done a playthrough where you haven't killed anyone. The true ending is 100% worth it and some of the twists are really surprising. All of it just feels like a cross between WarioWare, Ace Attorney and Earthbound and I absolutely love it.

I've heard that if you do this you mess your game up and are unable to play it again. Should I go for it and stop at a certain point so that my save isn't wrecked? Am I just better off watching the cutscenes on YouTube? I really don't want to miss any of the story, even if it is as horrifying in this run as people say.
You can play it again, but the endings will be different every time afterwards

Alex

Originally I just made a back up of mine, easy enough to do, it's just in appdata > local. Whole folder. Never bothered to restore it though. I don't really think it's worth worrying about, but that's just my opinion. I think it's worth playing, provided you can handle some of the difficulty spikes. You'll be earning the additional store/lore on this mode.

The gameplay is insane amounts of fun, it makes me kind of sad that there is no boss rush mode.

I hope that hard mode becomes more than an elaborate joke, cute as it is.

Learning that the hard mode dog was what ate the pie enthused me more than it should have

vladdamad

You can play it again, but the endings will be different every time afterwards

Originally I just made a back up of mine, easy enough to do, it's just in appdata > local. Whole folder. Never bothered to restore it though. I don't really think it's worth worrying about, but that's just my opinion. I think it's worth playing, provided you can handle some of the difficulty spikes. You'll be earning the additional store/lore on this mode.

I hope that hard mode becomes more than an elaborate joke, cute as it is.

Learning that the hard mode dog was what ate the pie enthused me more than it should have

Interesting, thank you! I suppose in the spirit of the game I will try it out and live with my decisions. Had no idea there was a hard mode, looks like I will have to look into it!

DNAbro

Interesting, thank you! I suppose in the spirit of the game I will try it out and live with my decisions. Had no idea there was a hard mode, looks like I will have to look into it!

the hard mode is just up to the end of the ruins. I really do hope Toby adds in a full hard mode later.

Alex

the hard mode is just up to the end of the ruins. I really do hope Toby adds in a full hard mode later.

Lotta speculation on hard mode and that one door. I think people are expecting a little too much but it'd be fun if a patch added a little bit more.

Extensive, full completion spoilers:
I don't think anything concrete is gonna give with the WD Gaster stuff though. I think that's pretty much put there as is as a reward for the people who really want to dig around

Tunahead

Obviously the correct way to play Undertale is Genocide route up to the final boss and reset once the boss starts repeating his opening lines, then Neutral route up to the end, then Pacifist route to the end. Anyone who fully completes the Genocide route and then does another route or leaves the Genocide route for last is obviously a terrible person who should be shunned. It doesn't matter that they didn't know what happens. It's clearly their own fault for not being psychic. If you don't predict all things before they happen, you're clearly just being lazy.

ivb_1973

Banned
It's impressive that this game still clings on the front page of NeoGAF a month after release, being that it is an indie RPG 6-20 hour length. It shows how community care, just as someone said.

Furthermore, two weeks after beating genocide (my last run) this game still clings on my head and just now I was thinking what happened if you:

killed Undyne on a neutral path.

Fucking manly tears...

Anne

I'd rather it just stay as the funny joke it is. The game isn't meant to be played like that, and the tease at it is really cute.

chiimisu

Why do I laugh so hard at this

HaTQPuE.png

Somebody send help

Dimmle

Obviously the correct way to play Undertale is Genocide route up to the final boss and reset once the boss starts repeating his opening lines, then Neutral route up to the end, then Pacifist route to the end. Anyone who fully completes the Genocide route and then does another route or leaves the Genocide route for last is obviously a terrible person who should be shunned. It doesn't matter that they didn't know what happens. It's clearly their own fault for not being psychic. If you don't predict all things before they happen, you're clearly just being lazy.
this guy gets it
It's impressive that this game still clings on the front page of NeoGAF a month after release, being that it is an indie RPG 6-20 hour length. It shows how community care, just as someone said.

Furthermore, two weeks after beating genocide (my last run) this game still clings on my head and just now I was thinking what happened if you:

Fucking manly tears...
if you kill anyone on your first run, let it be
Undyne
just so you can witness her glorious end

(but who am I kidding, you already killed
Toriel
)

dickroach

I did that on my first run.
she just kind of disappears, Papyrus still calls and mentions her as if he's completely oblivious to her death, Alphys is oblivious to it as well... I don't think there were any noticeable differences really.

Dimmle

I'd rather it just stay as the funny joke it is. The game isn't meant to be played like that, and the tease at it is really cute.
Not meant to be played how? The hard mode enemies are super challenging and their patterns are gratifying to learn. I'd jump into a full hard mode this afternoon just because it's so fun. Like "hog wild," it really pushes Undertale's battles to their finest potential.

Anne

Not meant to be played how? The hard mode enemies are super challenging and their patterns are gratifying to learn. I'd jump into a full hard mode this afternoon just because it's so fun. Like "hog wild," it really pushes Undertale's battles to their finest potential.

The game isn't about the challenge or trying to do runs just because they're hard. Like the tease of the hard mode reads to me like "why are you wanting to get that out of this game?"

Dimmle

The game isn't about the challenge or trying to do runs just because they're hard. Like the tease of the hard mode reads to me like "why are you wanting to get that out of this game?"
I don't think the game is prescribing this idea. It provides extra challenge for players who want to do more "because they can," but it's not telling these players that they're wrong-- simply that they'll need to face the consequences.

The "hog wild" battles and hard mode encounters are well balanced and rewarding to play. I doubt I'm the only one who had a legitimately good time with them, thus weakening the claim that you're "not meant" to interact with them.

Undertale does not prescribe any method of play and rewards all approaches in different ways. That's the beauty of the game.

All you can say is that your experience with Undertale wasn't about challenge.

ivb_1973

Banned
I did that on my first run.
she just kind of disappears, Papyrus still calls and mentions her as if he's completely oblivious to her death, Alphys is oblivious to it as well... I don't think there were any noticeable differences really.

Really? Then you must do something for this to happen?

Maybe you have to kill Papyrus?

Top Bottom