• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Undertale |OT| Indie RPG with determination and spider bake sales

Here's a really interesting remix of bountrousle :

FIBULAFIGHT (NYEH HEH HEH / BOUNTROUSLE EXTENDED "HELLA SKELLA" MIX)

and for thoses who missed it, a jazz cover of Ghost fight :

Ghost battle

You should also subscribe to his channel, the cover he makes are amazing!

i'm pretty late to this train but I bought this game on an impulse this evening after hearing some good things and I think I really enjoyed what I plaOHMYFUCKING GOD I WAS NOT READY FOR THIS SHIT TODAY

I basically went into this game not knowing anything about it so I was playing it like any normal RPG and just minding my own goddamn business enjoying the unique combat system and I should have known there was something larger going on behind the scenes the whole time and yet I still continued fucking killing shit

few hours later I'm being fucking reprimanded and feel like a total asshole and then the game goes full fucking apeshit mode

everything post-Asgore fucked me up hard. the game crashing, the save file bullshit, the flowey battle

so basically I got a neutral ending. I don't even know if I'll be going for alternate endings because I'm honestly incredibly satisfied with the experience I had with the game. I doubt I could bring myself to kill everything and everyone and at the same time I don't think I'll be attempting a full pacifist run either, or at least not for awhile. I'm still picking pieces of my brain off the floor as it is. Might catch those endings on a Youtube run or something.

masterpiece

Do the true ending at least then, by saving everyone, it's worth it seriously, there's a lot a story content (dialogue with your friends like
undyne
and a lot of phone calls) and even a new area! There's too much to just watch it on youtube, you will misses lots of things by doing that this game is REALLY meant to be done at least two times

Even the no-mercy run is worth it because of some nice details about
Flowey and the player
, and new music and bosses! It's way shorter so i guess you could watch this one on youtube

jrcbandit

i'm pretty late to this train but I bought this game on an impulse this evening after hearing some good things and I think I really enjoyed what I plaOHMYFUCKING GOD I WAS NOT READY FOR THIS SHIT TODAY

I basically went into this game not knowing anything about it so I was playing it like any normal RPG and just minding my own goddamn business enjoying the unique combat system and I should have known there was something larger going on behind the scenes the whole time and yet I still continued fucking killing shit

few hours later I'm being fucking reprimanded and feel like a total asshole and then the game goes full fucking apeshit mode

everything post-Asgore fucked me up hard. the game crashing, the save file bullshit, the flowey battle

so basically I got a neutral ending. I don't even know if I'll be going for alternate endings because I'm honestly incredibly satisfied with the experience I had with the game. I doubt I could bring myself to kill everything and everyone and at the same time I don't think I'll be attempting a full pacifist run either, or at least not for awhile. I'm still picking pieces of my brain off the floor as it is. Might catch those endings on a Youtube run or something.

masterpiece

A true pacifist run is definitely worthwhile for the ending. Also, the fights are a fun challenge since you are stuck at 20 hp from not leveling and will be quite a different experience (especially boss battles if you killed them originally).

everybodyman

Neo Member
What happens if you *spoilers for genocide run*
quit the game and reload on the screen where you make the choice with the fallen one?

Cowie

Question:

What is the significance of the title 'Bonetrousle'? I assume it's a word that kind of sounds like that, but had 'bone' inserted into it to make it much cooler. That said, I'm.. not really sure what the word could be!

Question:

What is the significance of the title 'Bonetrousle'? I assume it's a word that kind of sounds like that, but had 'bone' inserted into it to make it much cooler. That said, I'm.. not really sure what the word could be!

I think it might be a portmanteau of "bone", "trouble", and "tousle". Might be a stretch though.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Remember when I said this? (probably not)
I enjoy the game so far, although I'm not in love with it like many others seem to be. It's...neat.

I'm a dirty, dirty liar. The game is utterly fantastic. What a strong finish. Probably my favourite ending to a videogame this year.

Haven't played this yet, looking forward to it.

From the screenshots it looks like this would fit well for an iPad game, or am I completely wrong?

Dimmle

Remember when I said this? (probably not)

I'm a dirty, dirty liar. The game is utterly fantastic. What a strong finish. Probably my favourite ending to a videogame this year.
Hahahaha! I read your original post and muttered knowingly under my breath that you would probably change that tune.

I can't get over how good that unused boss music is...

DNAbro

So I started up another playthrough because I'm hopelessly in love with this game and I just realized what those cameras you find hidden all over the place are.

It's how Alphys is watching you during your adventure. Can't believe I just got that.

Dimmle

So I started up another playthrough because I'm hopelessly in love with this game and I just realized what those cameras you find hidden all over the place are.

It's how Alphys is watching you during your adventure. Can't believe I just got that.

Yep. That didn't click when you saw
the monitor in her lab trained intently on you
?

I'm also doing a post-hog wild playthrough to see a few more details I was curious about. There's a lot you can miss if you're not paying attention.

We're basically exhibiting the exact player behavior that Toby is critiquing.

Hello!

Just finished the game last night, via NEUTRAL run because

I fucking killed Toriel at the beginning after sparing her a bunch of times. I thought that was the only way to do it. I ended up doing a pacifist run for the remainder, but I know that 1 kill altered everything. Was glad Sans brought up that the Snowman was happy I took him with me on my journey. The flowey fight at the end creeped me out to no end, but it was fun.

I missed the
Temmie village
, and probably many other things so I'm definitely going to go back and do a pacifist run and a genocide run.

This has become one of my favorite games, and I'm glad I gave in to friend pressure to give it a whirl~

DNAbro

Yep. That didn't click when you saw
the monitor in her lab trained intently on you
?

I'm also doing a post-hog wild playthrough to see a few more details I was curious about. There's a lot you can miss if you're not paying attention.

We're basically exhibiting the exact player behavior that Toby is critiquing.

Nope. Didn't connect the dots.

Also something hilarious in regards to the Papyrus fight.
You can get past him by losing to him 3 times accompanied by entertaining dialogue.

Seriously this game has so many hidden things in it, I love it so much

Dimmle

You can get past him by losing to him 3 times accompanied by entertaining dialogue.

Can you still get the "date" by doing this? I think I'll try it!

PSqueak

Banned
Can you still get the "date" by doing this? I think I'll try it!

On my second run i intentionally lost to him once, when i was done instead of "dating" it was just "hanging out" but the sequence is exactly the same without the friend zone line.

Im not exactly sure what caused this, so i dunno if letting him capture you is it.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
On my second run i intentionally lost to him once, when i was done instead of "dating" it was just "hanging out" but the sequence is exactly the same without the friend zone line.

Im not exactly sure what caused this, so i dunno if letting him capture you is it.

I'm pretty sure
if it's you don't try to flirt with him.

Ferrio

Banned
I'm addicted to the soundtrack. Would love a full arranged version. I think "Spear of Justice" is my favorite.

edit: Also on my pacifist playthrough
I called up Toriel and called her mom, it was later referenced at the end of the game. Anyone know what they say at the end if you flirted with her?

Dimmle

I'm addicted to the soundtrack. Would love a full arranged version. I think "Spear of Justice" is my favorite.

edit: Also on my pacifist playthrough
I called up Toriel and called her mom, it was later referenced at the end of the game. Anyone know what they say at the end if you flirted with her?

If you
flirt with her and then call her mom
she'll laugh about how messed up it was at the end.

kurona_bright

Neo Member

Aha. Ahahaha.

That's how it went for me the first time I played the game. I somehow did not realize horizontal movement was possible during that fight until I beat the game and watched someone else play.

On the other hand, there's some cool bits of dialogue when you're sent to the
toolshed. And cut-up hotdog in dog kibble. :p

Ashodin

What's the fastest way to get cash in the game? I know you can keep making dog residue (ewww) and selling it to hOI IM TEMMIE

Pacifist run btw.

Dimmle

Can anyone recommend any podcast discussions of Undertale? I've heard the GB and GBeast mentions but am sorta starved for real discussion from media outlets.

PSqueak

Banned
What's the fastest way to get cash in the game? I know you can keep making dog residue (ewww) and selling it to hOI IM TEMMIE

Pacifist run btw.

Enemies in the hotland and core area in general leave good money for properly sparing them, frankly i found it less tedius to grind these enemies than selling residue to temmie.

I don't think I'll be attempting a full pacifist run either, or at least not for awhile. I'm still picking pieces of my brain off the floor as it is. Might catch those endings on a Youtube run or something.

Dude, you owe it to yourself to go for a full pacifist. Trust me, you'll enjoy every moment.

Cody_D165

Banned
Dude, you owe it to yourself to go for a full pacifist. Trust me, you'll enjoy every moment.

funnily enough I had the day to myself today and found myself still thinking about this damn game

approximately seven hours later and well

you guys were right

;_;

this fucking game is something else

I'll never do a genocide run ever after all this shit

also one connection my brain just made during this run was when Asgore
destroys the mercy button in his boss fight, he doesn't do it to stop you from fleeing, but he does it so you can't fucking avoid hurting him. He does it to punish himself for all of his actions. goddamn

PSqueak

Banned
Speaking of things that didn't click until much later, for me one of them was that
The game over dialogue is Asgore's final words to a dying Chara.
I didn't notice it on my first run because i died only at very specific points in the game, in fact i thought the text changed depending who killed you and since i died to
Asgore
the most i assumed that bit of dialogue was specific to his fight.

Fishlake

Well I beat the game. I ended up not killing anyone but also not doing all the side quests. The entire thing was a very nice experience. When Flowery told me to load my save and go do the side quests I did and got the True Pacifist ending.
Personally I think the true ending is really cheesy but so are most the jokes in the game. I personally prefer the first ending I got but loved leaning more about the characters in the side quests.
I was thinking of doing a genocide run but ended up watching the different mixed ending that exist on YouTube and I just can't bring myself to do it. I love the way combat was done in it the final sections where very bullet hell but since I had gone through gradual difficulty increases it was not overwhelming. This game really touched me in a way no other game has and I'm glad I found out about it.

I usually hate games that rely on a story because they force me to choose things I would rather not do like in the Last of Us.
Its because I don't agree with the choices of the story that I don't like the game. I would have preferred letting Ellie die for a possible cure or for Joel to fail to save her ending in tragedy.
I hope we see more games show up where all your choices effect it as I think that is the place video game stories can really blossom.

The problem with games providing choices and not hammering you over the head with what you should definitely choose is you always get a parade of people complaining because they didn't choose whatever they think the better choice would have been after hearing the results online.

I think people who are pissed off about (early game spoilers)
how to spare Toriel
need to just chill out and play the game the way they play it, and decide at the end how their overall experience was. (same spoiler)
I killed her first time - I tried sparing a couple of times and it didn't seem to work, plus I didn't pick up on the various cues that she was softening, so I just switched to attacking and killed her. Felt like a bummer, but also was a good enough story just like that. When I discovered you can save her I thought 'oh, cool! so there are choices in this game I wasn't even aware of', not 'OH COME ON THAT'S BULLSHIT TOTALLY UNINTUITIVE MAN A FROG SHOULD HAVE TOLD ME RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE BATTLE THAT I HAD TO SPARE HER OVER AND OVER' -

It didn't ruin the game at all, because I liked the rest of it, and I didn't even realise I could have acted differently at the time. Now I'm replaying and making other choices and I'm enjoying seeing all the differences.

I mean, right? It's the same reason I don't get people's complaints about Dark Souls not explaining how all its secrets work. That's a huge part of the fun - trying things out, trying them again, seeing what can be done and what the developers accounted for.

Not that Undertale and Dark Souls have much else in common, but you've always got a lot of people asking for more depth and choice, and then (hopefully a different group) a lot of people complaining because they think not making the optimum route blindingly obvious at all times is bad game design.

I don't expect anybody to read this and think 'huh, guess he's right' and just change the way they feel when games are 'unintuitive' (and i mean come on, you had like 5 cues in the incident in question - you just weren't paying that much attention, like me) - but it's what I think! Bye bye!

Fishlake

Not that Undertale and Dark Souls have much else in common, but you've always got a lot of people asking for more depth and choice, and then (hopefully a different group) a lot of people complaining because they think not making the optimum route blindingly obvious at all times is bad game design.

I wonder if this is why I like both these games. I've always liked the souls games and I wonder if it is from the choices I get to make on my own without the game suggesting what is best. I feel like I am the character when given choice so I feel more deeply involved in the game. I will continue to think about this.

Dimmle

I think people who are pissed off about (early game spoilers)
how to spare Toriel
need to just chill out and play the game the way they play it, and decide at the end how their overall experience was. (same spoiler)
I killed her first time - I tried sparing a couple of times and it didn't seem to work, plus I didn't pick up on the various cues that she was softening, so I just switched to attacking and killed her. Felt like a bummer, but also was a good enough story just like that. When I discovered you can save her I thought 'oh, cool! so there are choices in this game I wasn't even aware of', not 'OH COME ON THAT'S BULLSHIT TOTALLY UNINTUITIVE MAN A FROG SHOULD HAVE TOLD ME RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE BATTLE THAT I HAD TO SPARE HER OVER AND OVER' -

Complete and total agreement.

Guess what? It's kind of a better story if you end up killing someone the first time around. Chill out and see where the game takes you.

I was originally going to make a new thread for this since Super Bunnyhop seems pretty well liked here, but he alludes to a few pretty big Undertale moments that work better going into them fresh, so I opted not to. Unless people reckon I should to get Undertale (and LISA!) some more attention here.

Not sure I agree LISA is that unpolished, since its brutal difficulty felt like it was part of the point, but other than that it's a nice write-up of both games and Earthbound in general.

I was originally going to make a new thread for this since Super Bunnyhop seems pretty well liked here, but he alludes to a few pretty big Undertale moments that work better going into them fresh, so I opted not to. Unless people reckon I should to get Undertale (and LISA!) some more attention here.

Not sure I agree LISA is that unpolished, since its brutal difficulty felt like it was part of the point, but other than that it's a nice write-up of both games and Earthbound in general.

Bunnyhop does fantastic work, and I wish more people could experience the game with the correct mindset going in. It would be nice if ot was easier to recommend Undertale to people with out ruining it for them. He does go a little too deep on what it accomplishes, but to be fair he does recommend that the viewer stop unless they went and played it.

Gyossaits

Banned
GENOCIDE ENDING

Anyone happen to notice just as Flowey is about to get murdered, his voice and face changes into that of Asriel's?

Just beat this for the first time and what the fuck was that ending I mean holy shit.

I mean, I guess there are multiple endings, but...

That Flowey final boss was the most off the wall bonkers shit I have ever seen in any video game.

I think I'll play through it again to see if I can spare some of the characters I killed (
Toriel, Undyne, and, uh, the... Lesser Dog
).

Really super interesting game though.

PK Gaming

Just beat this for the first time and what the fuck was that ending I mean holy shit.

That Flowey final boss was the most off the wall bonkers shit I have ever seen in any video game.

Congra
I think I'll play through it again to see if I can spare some of the characters I killed (
).

tulations?

How dare you

1upsuper

).

You should really spare
everyone. It's well worth the trouble.

DNAbro

).

Definitely play it again
and spare everyone. Incredibly worth it. Killing everything is also an option for a completely different experience. not as reccomended though..

Congra

tulations?

How dare you
Hey, you know, I tried to spare every major character (except for
Flowey, because fuck that guy
) and felt bad for not being able to. I tried and tried and tried but for the life of me I couldn't figure out how to spare
Undyne, but I would think maybe I shouldn't kill the Lesser Dog because that seemed to set her off.
But I had decided to not reset and live with all of my decisions.

Top Bottom