• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Undertale |OT| Indie RPG with determination and spider bake sales

Hyoukokun

Hey, you know, I tried to spare every major character (except for
Flowey, because fuck that guy
) and felt bad for not being able to. I tried and tried and tried but for the life of me I couldn't figure out how to spare
Undyne, but I would think maybe I shouldn't kill the Lesser Dog because that seemed to set her off.
But I had decided to not reset and live with all of my decisions.

A hint for how to spare Undyne:
Pay very close attention to what she says at the start of the fight. She unintentionally tells you what you need to do.

More explicitly:
You can't spare Undyne the traditional way; she's too determined for that. But past a certain point in the fight, you can run away from her...

Kientin

NEUTRAL ROUTE

So I heard Sans mentions something in the ending if you stick (haha) with the stick and bandage the entire game. I also heard he says something if you don't eat anything. So I did both at once. I just got one thing to say, screw Asgore when you are doing all of this. I haven't had a bad time in genocide because I refuse to do that route but I did watch a video on that fight. Comparing the two I would say this is harder than that.

Having a bad time without using items might be close, but with Asgore you only can take 4 hits before dying. Also the RNG on a couple of his attacks (specifically the one where you recieve an alert that he will blast fire down the left or right sides) make it insanely hard to predict and dodge the attack. Also you have to survive so long because your attacks do so little damage and the attacks ramp up in intensity by a large degree as the fight goes on. I think I died about 30 times before I finally won. Everything else wasn't that bad outside Asgore though. I think the second highest death count was against Muffet with 3 deaths and they were dumb deaths.

After you beat Flowery, Sans says something like "...wow, you really like a challenge don't you." and he says to try and not to brag about it haha. Sorry, Sans. I couldn't help it. :p

EDIT: Forgot to mention that this was played in a pacifist run so I only had 20hp at the time.

PSqueak

Banned
NEUTRAL ROUTE

So I heard Sans mentions something in the ending if you stick (haha) with the stick and bandage the entire game. I also heard he says something if you don't eat anything. So I did both at once. I just got one thing to say, screw Asgore when you are doing all of this. I haven't had a bad time in genocide because I refuse to do that route but I did watch a video on that fight. Comparing the two I would say this is harder than that.

Having a bad time without using items might be close, but with Asgore you only can take 4 hits before dying. Also the RNG on a couple of his attacks (specifically the one where you recieve an alert that he will blast fire down the left or right sides) make it insanely hard to predict and dodge the attack. Also you have to survive so long because your attacks do so little damage and the attacks ramp up in intensity by a large degree as the fight goes on. I think I died about 30 times before I finally won. Everything else wasn't that bad outside Asgore though. I think the second highest death count was against Muffet with 3 deaths and they were dumb deaths.

After you beat Flowery, Sans says something like "...wow, you really like a challenge don't you." and he says to try and not to brag about it haha. Sorry, Sans. I couldn't help it. :p

EDIT: Forgot to mention that this was played in a pacifist run so I only had 20hp at the time.

Toby really did think of everything, hahahaha.

Corpekata

Banned
Went to see if the game had crossed 100k sales on Steam yet on Steamspy and saw it's already around 130k. Damn. After Valve cut, game is pretty close to having made a million bucks already.

2661058-0029778094-tumbl.png

Alex

I don't really have much to say about Undertale that isn't extreme praise. It's probably the most enamored I've been with a game in a very long time. Gameplay, narrative, music, all great stuff. As a dude who grew up in that era where I needed to mow lawns for those fucking $79.99 RPG carts I honestly feel that it's probably a better product than most of the things it draws inspiration from. Usually when I beat a game nowadays, I'm done. I really don't do second plays unless the structure really dictates it, especially in anything story based or any form of RPG outside of a multiplayer one but man I am going to wring all of the content I can out of this sucker.

That out of the way;

Finished true pacifist path a few nights ago, started up a true genocide run and this is so very unsettling! I always thought maybe it'd be fun to have an RPG as the villain... I don't really think that anymore, maybe I'll stick to just being a bit of a jerk in Bioware games. Maybe hanging up on people is a good place for my villain tendencies to end.

Impressed how drastically the approach changes things. It's also neat to see with my save file how it seems to take notes that the player has, in a manner of speaking, done this before. Always makes me want to see more and more how various elements differ on how and when you approach them.

Also, I am horrible and had to have someone beat Undyne the Undying for me. I can see this being a recurring theme on this mode. I approached the fight perfectly according to tips I read but I'm just bad at those spear circles! Bullet Hell has never been my thing, the last 2D shooter I played a lot was uh, UN Squadron

I'd probably have eventually got it down but I know someone who is good at those games and is playing along side me so I got greedy.

Kenai

So i just bought Undetale yesterday after all of the hooplah on GAf about it.

Couldn't put it down. Beat the WHOLE thing (pacifist) in one sitting.

The final boss was weird because I was torn between jamming to the epic soundtrack and dodging the multiple projectiles through legit tears (cause this game's ending ripped my heart out then fed it back to me with a full glass of em as a side).

Definitely my GotY, and out of nowhere too. Unbelievable title. And I wouldn't have even looked at it without GAF, so thanks for helping me find it.

Edit: I will be listening to this track with misty eyes for years to come (spoilers)

Salbug

I don't really have much to say about Undertale that isn't extreme praise. It's probably the most enamored I've been with a game in a very long time. Gameplay, narrative, music, all great stuff. As a dude who grew up in that era where I needed to mow lawns for those fucking $79.99 RPG carts I honestly feel that it's probably a better product than most of the things it draws inspiration from. Usually when I beat a game nowadays, I'm done. I really don't do second plays unless the structure really dictates it, especially in anything story based or any form of RPG outside of a multiplayer one but man I am going to wring all of the content I can out of this sucker.

That out of the way;

Finished true pacifist path a few nights ago, started up a true genocide run and this is so very unsettling! I always thought maybe it'd be fun to have an RPG as the villain... I don't really think that anymore, maybe I'll stick to just being a bit of a jerk in Bioware games. Maybe hanging up on people is a good place for my villain tendencies to end.

Impressed how drastically the approach changes things. It's also neat to see with my save file how it seems to take notes that the player has, in a manner of speaking, done this before. Always makes me want to see more and more how various elements differ on how and when you approach them.

Also, I am horrible and had to have someone beat Undyne the Undying for me. I can see this being a recurring theme on this mode. I approached the fight perfectly according to tips I read but I'm just bad at those spear circles! Bullet Hell has never been my thing, the last 2D shooter I played a lot was uh, UN Squadron

I'd probably have eventually got it down but I know someone who is good at those games and is playing along side me so I got greedy.

Ho ho hoooooooo boy! *late genocide run spoilers ahead*
If you thought Undyne the Undying was difficult... Well let's just say you're really going to have a bad time at the end.

On a separate note, the overworld music is just so damn good, especially Another Medium!

Dimmle

(NEUTRAL AND HOG WILD SPOILERS)

did someone here actually say
Asgore
is harder than
Sans
after watching the latter fight on youtube?

hahaha

HAHAHAHAHAHA *heaving sobs*

Kientin

(NEUTRAL AND HOG WILD SPOILERS)

did someone here actually say
Asgore
is harder than
Sans
after watching the latter fight on youtube?

hahaha

HAHAHAHAHAHA *heaving sobs*

Read a bit more closely. He is easy when playing normally. I'm saying he is super tough when you are playing pacifist (20 hp), using ONLY the default equipment (stick and bandage), and can't use ANY items. The fact that you can only take 4 hits in in the face of some bad RNG with some attacks and the fast increasing intensity of his attacks due to the fight being drawn out due to the crap damage you output gives you very little room for error.

Dimmle

Read a bit more closely. He is easy when playing normally. I'm saying he is super tough when you are playing pacifist (20 hp), using ONLY the default equipment (stick and bandage), and can't use ANY items. The fact that you can only take 4 hits in in the face of some bad RNG with some attacks and the fast increasing intensity of his attacks due to the fight being drawn out due to the crap damage you output gives you very little room for error.

I am skeptical anything could be more difficult than that particular boss but this argument makes a little more sense than my original interpretation. My bad.

I started crying the first time I got to this part, it moved me so much. Now, whenever I hear any rendition or callback to the theme I start tearing up.

EDIT: Also the fact that Toby said this is one of the two songs he put the most work into makes it even more special.
That entire segment where that song played was abso-fucking-lutely incredible.

Kientin

I am skeptical anything could be more difficult than that particular boss but this argument makes a little more sense than my original interpretation. My bad.

He still might very well might be tougher and I'm not saying he is easy by any stretch. I still haven't fought him myself after all haha. Asgore with those restrictions is very tough though coming from someone who felt neutral and true pacifist were very easy. It's a nice way to get some difficulty out of the game for someone that is a weenie like me who refuses to do genocide. Haha.

Dimmle

He still might very well might be tougher and I'm not saying he is easy by any stretch. I still haven't fought him myself after all haha. Asgore with those restrictions is very tough though coming from someone who felt neutral and true pacifist were very easy. It's a nice way to get some difficulty out of the game for someone that is a weenie like me who refuses to do genocide. Haha.

(neutral and hog wild spoilers again)

I dunno, now that I think about it, fighting
Asgore
with those limitations might well be the most difficult fair fight in the game. I wouldn't qualify
Sans
as fair. He's 75% trial and error with some pretty high level execution thrown in.

Alex

About 6-7 hours for one playthrough, I'd say.

As someone else who originally went in actually scheduling for a shorter 6ish hour game I kinda dislike that the game was marketed as such. Actually, I don't think anyone I personally know playing this has just put 6 hours into it, you miss a lot of content and plot going for that kind of resolution. My view on the length after the fact is more like:

Rushed ending: 6-7h
True ending: 10-12h
"Full" completion: 15-16h~

Normally I wouldn't really bat an eye at this but in my opinion you lose out on quite a lot if you don't take it to the end.

As someone else who originally went in actually scheduling for a shorter 6ish hour game I kinda dislike that the game was marketed as such. Actually, I don't think anyone I personally know playing this has just put 6 hours into it, you miss a lot of content and plot going for that kind of resolution. My view on the length after the fact is more like:

Rushed ending: 6-7h
True ending: 10-12h
"Full" completion: 15-16h~

Normally I wouldn't really bat an eye at this but in my opinion you lose out on quite a lot if you don't take it to the end.

I got the true ending and all that entails in 7.5 hours. I was taking my time and did a lot of backtracking too. I think it really depends on how well you can handle the "shmup" sections. If you're not good at those I can easily see that tacking a few hours onto your total time. I also had no desire to go back and do the other routes when I was finished so that's a factor as well.

Dimmle

I'm glad I'm not the only one that got Gurren Lagann-vibes from the final happenings.

I was also reminded of Gurren Lagann while playing Undertale, but it was the contrast between where the story begins and where the story ends that did it for me. That incredible sense of escalation I'll always associate with GL.

(it took me 33 hours to do neutral, pacifist, and hog wild; yeah I dunno how either)

dity

The #undertalespoilers tag on Twitter is just full of shipping. lmao.

Eh nah. I don't agree with that notion at all, not from someone who hasn't a tually fought the bag of bones himself.

kurona_bright

Neo Member

Quoting this because this is great holy crap. Edit: I got chills the first time "Heartache" came on.

Also, remember the person who drew this awesome Toriel tarot card?
XknA2lH.jpg

They've made a lot more since then. Non-spoilery examples:
H9I4KPf.jpg

CuwuxOX.jpg

I'm providing a link to their tumblr, but be warned that beyond lie massive, life-ending spoilers for both the goodtime and badtime runs.
http://dogbomber.tumblr.com/tagged/undertale

The fanartists in this community are so good.
4hLKePQ.gif

EDIT: I can't resist posting the card for Papyrus, it's so good:
yx0E5NE.jpg

If Toby took these designs and made actual tarot cards out of them, I would buy them so fast.

kurona_bright

Neo Member
I hadn't seen this. Dear god it's beautiful.

Yeah, I think it's the pose that really sells the whole thing. And the way Toriel has her front hand (paw?) clenched in front lends an incredible sense of power to her posture. I get this real sense of movement from it. It's wonderful.

I won't embed them because I've already posted too many huge images on this page, but Undyne's and Mettaton's cards are incredibly dynamic as well.

Lord Phol

About how long is this game? I got a big back- and current-log that I'm working through but this game has me intrigued. Very tempted to just pick it up and play it to completion if it's short enough.

Top Bottom