• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Undertale |OT| Indie RPG with determination and spider bake sales

All-spoilers.
I really think they found damn near the perfect amount of meta, timey-wimey stuff to introduce (and I'm so glad I had zero idea the game would be going in that kind of direction). Perfect amount of breadcrumbs left to assemble into greater mysteries and backstories, too. As much as I'd kill for something to be patched in to flesh it out a bit more, I think it could kind of ruin it if they gave actual answers.

At the end of a genocide run (facing a boss that makes me laugh at myself for finding the other notable boss hard earlier on), and then I'm pretty much done with the game, for a while at least. Practically my whole weekend wound up being Undertale. It's been a hell of a ride.

Dimmle

Has anyone else been playing Undertale with Steam Link? I can't control the game with my USB adapter (for the Mayflash Wii U Pro controller) plugged into the Link itself (it claims that Undertale is a KB+M game) but if I run Undertale and swap my adapter to my PC, it's fine. It's not a huge problem but it'd be nice if I could access Undertale and play it without moving my adapter.

I just completed a Neutral-Pacifist Run.
Then I went back and finished the sidequests and played through the True Pacifist ending.

Many have said my feelings more eloquently, I'm sure. But I have to say this is easily one of the best experiences I've ever had in gaming, or any medium for that matter.

I may have had the first portion of the game up to Toriel spoiled, as well as some minor character interactions, but I made sure to limit the exposure I had from spoilers until I had a chance to take a crack at the game. And boy, am I glad I did.

Game: 9.5/10

Soundtrack: 15/10

Stalk

Has anyone else been playing Undertale with Steam Link? I can't control the game with my USB adapter (for the Mayflash Wii U Pro controller) plugged into the Link itself (it claims that Undertale is a KB+M game) but if I run Undertale and swap my adapter to my PC, it's fine. It's not a huge problem but it'd be nice if I could access Undertale and play it without moving my adapter.

I haven't used steam link but with in home streaming, I couldn't even get the game to start up on my end D:

Currently towards the end of a genocide run.
Bashing my head against frigging Sans, it's kind of crazy how much harder this is than the rest of the game.

I was worried about the lasting effect of the run at first, but after the last couple hours I think I'm actually warming to the idea. Like, you have to really work for this, you need to want it. So you get to live with the consequences, too.

Had a similar problem myself, I had the game mapped to my 360 pad on my PC but it doesn't pick it up when I have it plugged into the Link. (Also ordered a Steam Controller so I wound up using that instead and mapping the keyboard to it; pretty much my only positive experience with it so far.)

PSqueak

Banned
I think that
Gaster won't appear beyond what we dig up in the files. He's a very deliberate set up to dummied out characters.

Well, there is that message for hackers...

There is a hidden message for people thinkering with the code of the game that states that everything that can be hacked out, including text that seems to be dummied out, can actually be found in game through normal means.

So about that
Genocide run
...Just exited the ruins and...
Shit.
9duO2Zd.gif

That "fight" with Toriel and the little jab from sans slayed me. I heard it was different and even harsh, but I didn't expect this degree of hostility.

As a side note (not really a spoiler): I found out that you can still encounter monsters if you press a direction and switch windows, since the character remains in a "moving" state.

Weiss

Banned
So about that
Genocide run
...Just exited the ruins and...
Shit.
9duO2Zd.gif

That "fight" with Toriel and the little jab from sans slayed me. I heard it was different and even harsh, but I didn't expect this degree of hostility.

You're gonna have a bad time.

Well, there is that message for hackers...

There is a hidden message for people thinkering with the code of the game that states that everything that can be hacked out, including text that seems to be dummied out, can actually be found in game through normal means.

Well, it's possible then. I think it's more likely and fitting that
Gaster remains a mystery that can only be found by tearing the game apart.

PSqueak

Banned
You're gonna have a bad time.

Well, it's possible then. I think it's more likely and fitting that
Gaster remains a mystery that can only be found by tearing the game apart.

Well, i think Toby said that
having to manually alter the "Fun" value
was an error/typo in the coding and it was meant to be able to be accessed during normal play, in fact
people have figured out that the wrong number song is triggered by having the "wrong" value of Fun
, i think this is why people are holding to the idea of an update happening (along with possible full game length hard mode).

BY2K

Membero Americo
So I bought the game, I finished the game, got the True Pacifist Ending, my mind is still a mess, so I need to watch some LPs to see other people get mindfucked by this game.

Suggestions?

Puruzi

Banned
So I bought the game, I finished the game, got the True Pacifist Ending, my mind is still a mess, so I need to watch some LPs to see other people get mindfucked by this game.

Suggestions?

Vinesauce Joel, Manlybadasshero, Cryatoic

Suggestions?
If you can't bring yourself to do a No Mercy run, slowbeef has you covered. Everdraed (the guy who designed
the Neutral route final boss, Omega/God Flowey
) even joins the Skype call midway through the run!

Although you're canonically worse than the people who do these runs if you watch somebody else doing it without the wherewithal to do it yourself. Flowey says as much!

I've also heard VoidBurger's playthrough of the game is pretty hilarious, but I've not watched it myself.

Got to the MTT Resort in my second playthrough and have spared absolutely everyone I've come across (and am quite proud of figuring out how to spare
Toriel and Undyne
). The game continuously surprises me. Like, making friends with
Undyne gives you an entirely new set of dialogue for each room, seriously? And I had no idea that you could set up a date between Burgerpants (who is, no lying, the greatest character in the game) and the garbage diggers.

It's a short game but it never seems to run out of new things to show me.

Weiss

Banned

What?

Near the end of a Genocide run, Flowey talks about how there are probably people watching right now, and how they're too cowardly to go through with getting the Genocide ending so they just look it up instead of dirtying their hands.

Mistle

I'd never heard a single thing about this game, not even the tagline like "you don't have to kill anyone" or anything. Let's just say I realised too late... Haha. Only about halfway through the game, but if there's a neutral ending I'll probably get that considering I spent the first 2hrs killing everything.

I am still astonished every single time I see someone not figure out the Mettaton first quiz. It took me like 2 answers and I'm a dense piece of wood.

I'm getting a new laptop soon, so even though I don't normally play PC games anymore I might have to pick this up.

I apologize if this has been addressed, but is there any talks of this being ported to consoles?

Hyoukokun

I'm getting a new laptop soon, so even though I don't normally play PC games anymore I might have to pick this up.

I apologize if this has been addressed, but is there any talks of this being ported to consoles?
From what we know, it's unlikely that there will be a console or mobile port of the game, though there might be a Linux/SteamOS version of the game in the future. The spec requirements are pretty minimal; my $120 netbook runs it just fine.

PSqueak

Banned
I am still astonished every single time I see someone not figure out the Mettaton first quiz. It took me like 2 answers and I'm a dense piece of wood.

I admit i felt stupid on my second run when i realized
Alphys literally is giving you the answer to all question, not just when she starts to geek out.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Near the end of a Genocide run, Flowey talks about how there are probably people watching right now, and how they're too cowardly to go through with getting the Genocide ending so they just look it up instead of dirtying their hands.

Oh yeah? Wanna know what I think of that?

*flips the bird to Flowey*

Holy shit lol

DNAbro

No console plans because the dog only knows to program on game maker. There are other issues.

Why would game maker be a problem on consoles? Isn't that what hotline miami is made on? Also in the game informer interview he mentioned it could eventually happen.

PSqueak

Banned
Why would game maker be a problem on consoles? Isn't that what hotline miami is made on? Also in the game informer interview he mentioned it could eventually happen.

The "other issues" are
Intentional constant crashes during the Flowey battle, saving secret data away from the "official" save game data and such other trickery the game uses for meta purposes.

SOLDIER

So if there's no real way to do Genocide without screwing your game over, does anyone know a good video that shows the entirety of it WITHOUT commentary?

Scott667

And I had no idea that you could set up a date between Burgerpants (who is, no lying, the greatest character in the game) and the garbage diggers.

Wait, how do you do that? I thought my playthroughs were pretty thorough, but now I'd hate to think of how much I missed.

DNAbro

The "other issues" are
Intentional constant crashes during the Flowey battle, saving secret data away from the "official" save game data and such other trickery the game uses for meta purposes.

I know that. That was the only problem I could see with it. Game maker shouldn't be a problem.

PSqueak

Banned
Wait, how do you do that? I thought my playthroughs were pretty thorough, but now I'd hate to think of how much I missed.

After exhausting all topics with Burgerpants, go back to Bratty and Catty, a new option to ask them about Burgerpants appears, run thru it and go back and forth between Burgerpants and them.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl

Suggestions?

If you want to see someone being absolutely delighted by the game I suggest VoidBurger.

I have a story-related Genocide question, that being the only route I haven't played:

Does Chara act malevolently in the Genocide route only as an expression of the player's own conduct, or is Chara considered throughout all the routes to be, for lack of better term, a bad person? From what I'm reading it seems like it's the latter, but I was thinking that if Chara is supposed to be named after the player, then if the player acts in a morally "good" way, shouldn't Chara have been an upright child as well?

Potentially answering my own question, it seems that Chara may just be considered as another character with his/her own personality, but it makes me wonder why Toby would gave the choice to name Chara if not to somehow align Chara with the player's actions.

PK Gaming

Got to the MTT Resort in my second playthrough and have spared absolutely everyone I've come across (and am quite proud of figuring out how to spare
Toriel and Undyne
Undyne gives you an entirely new set of dialogue for each room, seriously? And I had no idea that you could set up a date between Burgerpants (who is, no lying, the greatest character in the game) and the garbage diggers.

383.png

I have a story-related Genocide question, that being the only route I haven't played:

Does Chara act malevolently in the Genocide route only as an expression of the player's own conduct, or is Chara considered throughout all the routes to be, for lack of better term, a bad person? From what I'm reading it seems like it's the latter, but I was thinking that if Chara is supposed to be named after the player, then if the player acts in a morally "good" way, shouldn't Chara have been an upright child as well?

Potentially answering my own question, it seems that Chara may just be considered as another character with his/her own personality, but it makes me wonder why Toby would gave the choice to name Chara if not to somehow align Chara with the player's actions.

It's a subversion on the concept of named silent protagonists. Typically, you name them and expect them to be an extension of you, but it's Frisk (the character that you can't name) who is the audience surrogate, and not the first Fallen Child. It's hard to process, but that strange, surreal design choice is yet another reason why Undertale stands out as such an amazing game.

From my understanding. the story leads you to believe that Chara was a sociopath regardless of your actions. What differs a pacifist run from a genocide run is how much influence Chara has on Frisk, basically

Kater

Banned
Toriel and Undyne

What, with
Catty and Bratty
? They are, like, my faves! After Undyne, anyway. Might need to replay the game again just for the
Burgerpants sidequest

Weiss

Banned
I can't remember the last time a game had queer romance, let alone one as well written as in Undertale, and it's between an
anime obsessed fish and a mad scientist dinosaur.

PK Gaming

I can't remember the last time a game had queer romance, let alone one as well written as in Undertale, and it's between an
anime obsessed fish and a mad scientist dinosaur.

It was pretty great. The execution was pretty natural too, and it didn't feel like their sexuality dominated their characters.

Weiss

Banned
It was pretty great. The execution was pretty natural too, and it didn't feel like their sexuality dominated their characters.

I especially liked that
although her relationship with Undyne took priority, Alphys was bi and had a crush on Asgore.

I've seen so much bi erasure in fiction I love that it was nice to have.

DodgeDusk

Finished this game earlier today! Got what I'm presuming is the
Neutral Mercy Route, and, well... let's just say I don't think I'm getting much sleep tonight. Flowey, you are one scary being. I can't even steel myself to start Floweytale after seeing what happened with the intro. Mind you, it's 2AM right now where I am, so... I'll try it when I wake up and have calmed down a bit.

PSqueak

Banned

The thing is
Chara
exists as both a character and a concept.

Chara is your drive as the player to play in the way you would act in most videogames, the game tricks you into thinking you're naming Frisk after yourself, when instead you're naming another character, and in a meta sense, Chara is you, the player, or more accuratedly "a player's spirit", Frisk revealing his name and stating "it's just me, Frisk" is implying that he has ridden of Chara's influence and kinda also yours.

Chara as an in universe character, however, was always supposed to be evil, in a way going full pacifist also means you, the actual player, are also ridding yourself of Chara's influence (that is, the desire of violence and completition video games have conditioned you to have), but to fully rid of it you have to do the happy ending and NEVER play the game again, because if you keep playing, if you keep resetting and experimenting, there is always the chance that Chara's influence (ie, your gamer curiosity and/or completionist obsession) will take you over and you might end up going hog wild just "because you can", this is why selling your soul at the end of genocide is the one irreversible thing.

Interesting, thanks for the answers.
Still, it makes me wonder the purpose of the player giving their name to an NPC who is sociopathic no matter what, beyond betraying your expectations of the identity of the player character. I was noting that on a thematic level, naming Chara works well in the Genocide route -- "you" corrupt Frisk and you're able to see the monster you've become, to the point where you are no longer able to remain in control. But it makes less sense in the Pacifist route, where your namesake character has little to no impact in the unfurling of the plot beyond his/her backstory with the kingdom and the Dreemurr family. And even then, what meaning is there in Chara having your name in that route?

There seems to be at least some alignment between Chara and the player beyond just the choice of name, given that upon rebooting the game after the Pacifist ending, Flowey addresses you, the player, using the name you gave Chara. I don't know -- it's complicated and muddled. I could very well be missing something, but it seems like there's just a bit of inconsistency going on with the level on which the player manifests in both Frisk and Chara. It's interesting to think about, at least.

EDIT: Posted before reading PSqueak's answer, which I think satisfies my question.
I hadn't thought of that -- it certainly works to read Chara as that "dark curiosity," which would allow the character to work both as a separate entity and as a part or embodiment of the player. Brilliant. Thanks for your response!

Dimmle

Well, after about 43 hours of laughs, soggy emotions, and abrupt hollering, I'm saying goodbye to playing Undertale for now. I'd like to thank Toby Fox sincerely for delivering a game that I will remember with the same fondness I reserve for classics like Earthbound or Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door. I've not only had the joy of experiencing Undertale for myself, but the extreme glee of seeing friends play with the same increasing incredulity that I carried through every twist of the narrative. It's been a completely unique and special time.

I'd also like to thank everyone who's participated in the gaf thread. This OT has been home to the most positive vibes and helpful people that I've had the pleasure of encountering on gaf. I'm definitely not done discussing the game or appreciating the incredible outpouring of fan works and I'll sure be rooting to get more eyes on this gem come year's end. This is a game that was truly enhanced by the community support. I don't think we've seen the end of that.

Sorry, but I did not have a bad time in the slightest.

DNAbro

So I saw this on reddit about the original kickstarter.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1002143342/undertale/posts/541086

Here's the LAST stretch goal: $45000.

I must admit - the amount of money you guys have given me is a bit tremendous. It's clear that, given the scope of the game (which hasn't grown at all since the kickstarter was funded), there will probably be money left over after its creation. HOWEVER, I am not going to use this money on anything except the development of this world!

With this amount of money, I will be able to show you more of Undertale's world and characters. Two ideas I have for this are:

- Comics

- Another game

At $45000, after the development of Undertale, I will write the scripts to these two things. When that time comes, I will ask you KS backers if there is any character in the game you would like to see or learn more about. I will consider your choices and make a comic about them, guaranteed!

The "other" game... I can't tell you anything about it. Its very nature is shrouded in darkness. Ha ha ha.

Other than the fact that we should be getting comics eventually this other game has me very very interested.

I want to guess it will more likely be an expansion of some sort
dealing with the supposed time machine and maybe Gaster

or it could be a Nintendogs clone with all the dog characters. I don't know. Toby could do anything at this point and I'll probably buy it.

Okay, on my second run...

I found the True Lab and now I'm stuck in Asgore's Castle with vines blocking my exit.

"the flower is gone"

oh shit

I suppose it's not possible to go back anymore, is it?

This game is amazing, I haven't laughed this hard during a game since...honestly I don't even know. It gives me the warm, tingly charming feelings that I haven't gotten since probably Earthbound. I love it so much.

Top Bottom