• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Undertale |OT| Indie RPG with determination and spider bake sales

PSqueak

Banned
Why do I laugh so hard at this

HaTQPuE.png

Somebody send help

Im at work, so i don't have a link handy, but someone at Tumblr got a bunch of the memes of this /utg/ made and voiced them over hilariously, if you have the time, i recommend searching for it, it's so good.

I have been thinking about
Sans line's in botched genocide runs, specially the "i understand killing in self defense" bit
and how in the world supposedly murderous intend makes people's attacks stronger, so can we compile a list of enemies that are actually legit trying to murder you and/or would legit be self defense to kill?

On the top of my head (spoilered just in case)
Legit trying to kill you:
-Misogorp (until you spare any cohorts he might bring)
-Dogamy and Dogeressa
-Mad Dummy
-Undyne
-Muffet
-Madjick
-Knight Knight
-Mettaton

Legit Self defense:
-Asgore (Doesn't want to kill you but feels he has to)
-Flowey (techincally wants to kill you but also bring you back over and over again)
-Amalgamates (Attack you out of hunger)

I think you'd be pretty much justified to kill these enemies.

woopWOOP

Busy with my first playthrough
where I murder everyone with my human superiority. Well, except the skull bros and the armless dino kid, I don't have the heart to kill those goofballs. Yet.

Just did the Undyne battle. That Undyne fight scene was pretty poignant, really nicely done. And then Papyrus called about her, whoops. Hope he won't be out for revenge later or something.

Anyway, before playing I read bits and pieces about the game remembering your choices despite loading an older save and all that. Is it possible to hard reset everything for the new game or will I always be the monster that turns annoying random encounters into dust for a bigger HP bar?

DNAbro

Busy with my first playthrough
where I murder everyone with my human superiority. Well, except the skull bros and the armless dino kid, I don't have the heart to kill those goofballs. Yet.

Just did the Undyne battle. That Undyne fight scene was pretty poignant, really nicely done. And then Papyrus called about her, whoops. Hope he won't be out for revenge later or something.

Anyway, before playing I read bits and pieces about the game remembering your choices despite loading an older save and all that. Is it possible to hard reset everything for the new game or will I always be the monster that turns annoying random encounters into dust for a bigger HP bar?

I believe the only completely irreversible thing happens when
you literally kill everything.

1upsuper

GOAT game of all time. I'm in love.

I made an orchestra cover of Heartache

That was great! Thank you for making and sharing that. And yeah, this is one of my GOATs for sure. Pretty great community too. I love seeing all the new fanworks every day.

SOLDIER

Again, I'm looking for either:

1. A method to play Genocide that won't have a permanent effect on my game.

2. A Genocide run on YouTube that doesn't have commentary and shows you the entire game.

JC Sera

Again, I'm looking for either:

1. A method to play Genocide that won't have a permanent effect on my game.

2. A Genocide run on YouTube that doesn't have commentary and shows you the entire game.
crumblingstatue.github.io/FloweysTimeMachine/
I saw this the other day
not sure if it works

Cryaotic's Let's Play of this is the best.

I'm watching him fight
Omega Flowey
and I have literally never heard him this expressive and loud before. He's freaking the fuck out.

Puruzi

Banned
Cryaotic's Let's Play of this is the best.

I'm watching him fight
Omega Flowey
and I have literally never heard him this expressive and loud before. He's freaking the fuck out.

Yep, his is my favorite Undertale let's play so far. His reactions are great, and he's never annoying.

Might be my favorite let's play from him too, but I might like the Asura's Wrath one more because it reminded me of how rad it was when I first played it

Salbug

Yep, his is my favorite Undertale let's play so far. His reactions are great, and he's never annoying.

Might be my favorite let's play from him too, but I might like the Asura's Wrath one more because it reminded me of how rad it was when I first played it

I gotta revisit Asura's Wrath again one day. One of my favorite over-the-top action games despite the general consensus towards QTEs. I can't tell you how many times I go back, and watch videos of certain scenes, or "episodes".

I like coming back to this thread, and seeing more, and more critical acclaim pop up for Undertale, hearing more from people trying it out for the first time. Damn it's a good feeling.

I have a few things to say about this game that I can't just bottle up, because I can't talk about it with my friends, partially because they want to experience it themselves, but mostly because I think they won't care or can't relate.

I finished the Neutral and True Pacifist ending this past weekend. 11/10 experience, one that I'd recommend to everyone.

But I've been losing sleep because of this game for a number of reasons. Not just for creepy Flowey moments, not just for the stark tonal shifts, and not just for the True Laboratory, but because of the metanarrative and how the game changes based on it. It's been racking my brain. I did everything in my power to make everyone happy, and despite hearing from many people beforehand that True Pacifist is the recommended path, I would've done it that way regardless, because I play Paragon through and through. But I keep thinking of what would've happened had I chosen Genocide. With that, combined with all of the aforementioned stuff, I literally can't get Undertale out of my head.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
It doesn't seem like this game is for you. I can't imagine the ending will salvage it for you. It'll never be the RPG you want.

Yes, it is a regular RPG in that sense.

Not killing is much, much harder than killing something things.
Getting through everything at a low a level when you don't know the encounters, or may have missed armor, or aren't stocked up on items, or don't know their "tricks" can easily be a very frustrating experience.

Disagree. All three of his complaints are driven by the way he has chosen to play the game.

Just wanted to say that the ending has completely salvaged this for me.
(And apparently i had missed one armor. The game feels fair at 4hp per attack, easy at 3hp per, and completely impossible at 5hp per. But i'm shit at bullet hells)

I still don't like much of the gameplay, but there's no mistaking that this is an outstanding achievement in storytelling.
True Pacifist was pretty rare feels trip.
I still think the high point is , along with
Having to fight, and not killing, Toriel
, but the Final Boss Theme is of a quality i've never heard in a game not named Final Fantasy.

It boggles my mind that a single person did both writing and music. Completely. It can't be real.

I'm also taking this game as proof can music can be -much- better than voice acting for emotionally intense dialogue. I've always believed this, but this is just... proof.

Alex

I have a few things to say about this game that I can't just bottle up, because I can't talk about it with my friends, partially because they want to experience it themselves, but mostly because I think they won't care or can't relate.

I finished the Neutral and True Pacifist ending this past weekend. 11/10 experience, one that I'd recommend to everyone.

But I've been losing sleep because of this game for a number of reasons. Not just for creepy Flowey moments, not just for the stark tonal shifts, and not just for the True Laboratory, but because of the metanarrative and how the game changes based on it. It's been racking my brain. I did everything in my power to make everyone happy, and despite hearing from many people beforehand that True Pacifist is the recommended path, I would've done it that way regardless, because I play Paragon through and through. But I keep thinking of what would've happened had I chosen Genocide. With that, combined with all of the aforementioned stuff, I literally can't get Undertale out of my head.

Genocide is essentially another big chunk of the game, it's a very different experience with some really great content and narrative. Very important to world lore. You should make some time for it when you can.

I am fortunate with this one in that I was able to play through it and talk the entire way with a close friend. We're both a little obsessed with it, I'm probably a little too old to be this gushy over a product but it's the most smitten I've been with a game since... probably late 90s.

SOLDIER

crumblingstatue.github.io/FloweysTimeMachine/
I saw this the other day
not sure if it works

According to the guide, it says it's unsure if it'll work on Steam.

Wouldn't running Steam in offline mode take care of that? Go through Genocide in offline, then use this program to undo the Genocide aftereffects before turning Steam online?

Dimmle

According to the guide, it says it's unsure if it'll work on Steam.

Wouldn't running Steam in offline mode take care of that? Go through Genocide in offline, then use this program to undo the Genocide aftereffects before turning Steam online?
It's not ideal for everyone but this seemed to work for me: whatever black mark Steam applies to your tarnished data appears to be host specific. Since I beat Genocide on my laptop, the post-true pacifist data I'd backed up previously on my PC is absolutely fine. I relaunched Steam several times and I can still view the "pure" endings on my PC.

DodgeDusk

Try sparing
Toriel
this time around; the true ending gives more context for a genocide run anyway (and has significant new content).

I did this time.
True Laboratory made me uncomfortable as well. Not as bad as seeing Floweytale for the first time, but still spooky nonetheless. Seeing the table full of golden flowers for the first time made the hairs on my skin jolt up. I was like, "oh, you did not...". Of course she did

I'll probably start my final run within the next few days. I really do like this game

I reaaaally want to give Genocide a spin but I'm afraid to do it because I'm 100% sure that the moment
Battle Against a True Hero
starts playing is the moment I'll just reset the save and never look back. I don't have the heart to do this shit.

Dimmle

I reaaaally want to give Genocide a spin but I'm afraid to do it because I'm 100% sure that the moment
Battle Against a True Hero
starts playing is the moment I'll just reset the save and never look back. I don't have the heart to do this shit.

Once you reach that point, you'll already be a demon.

Sounds to me like you do have the heart not to do this shit. ;D

Weiss

Banned
Guys help, I have a criticism of the True Pacifist ending.

The ending, and the entirety of the playthrough, is about establishing Frisk as their own entity beyond the influences of Chara/the player. Then it has command prompts to comfort Asriel like I'm pressing X to pay respect or something.

Dimmle

Guys help, I have a criticism of the True Pacifist ending.

The ending, and the entirety of the playthrough, is about establishing Frisk as their own entity beyond the influences of Chara/the player. Then it has command prompts to comfort Asriel like I'm pressing X to pay respect or something.

I think that may be a false premise, my fran

Consider that Frisk can make all sorts of choices leading up to that point, suggesting a large variety of possible Frisks which sort of weakens the "one unified Frisk identity" thesis.

PK Gaming

I think that may be a false premise, my fran

Consider that Frisk can make all sorts of choices leading up to that point, suggesting a large variety of possible Frisks which sort of weakens the "one unified Frisk identity" thesis.

Exactly

The only thing certain about Frisk is their name. Everything else (their personality and choices) is determined by the player. They're an unusual audience surrogate, but an audience surrogate nonetheless.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
That's great! I'll gladly eat my words. It's a hell of an auteur work, huh?

I've spent the whole day debating in my mind if i should play Genocide or not.
... On one hand, it'd go against the game stands for.
.... On the other hand, i really want more Undertale.

... One hell of a work.

The titular sequence, leaving New Home.. i would've never guessed that someone, fifteen years later, understood why FFIX's You're Not Alone was so good, and managed to replicate it. And whoever did this, both designed, wrote and composed for it? I'm still in denial.

woopWOOP

Uh, I guess I beat the game? I mercy killed the king, that dumb plant swiped my hard-earned souls away and the game exits.
...Guess I should try granting mercy next... if the game doesn't remember my previous choice and still screws me over anyway :V

One nice touch though is
when I finally used the pie item during the battle with the king. The memorable smell apparently gives him a stat reduction.

e: Okay, I guess this game is stuck in nightmare horror mode now, welp lol

Sawneeks

Banned
Uh, I guess I beat the game? I mercy killed the king, that dumb plant swiped my hard-earned souls away and the game exits.
...Guess I should try granting mercy next... if the game doesn't remember my previous choice and still screws me over anyway :V

One nice touch though is
when I finally used the pie item during the battle with the king. The memorable smell apparently gives him a stat reduction.

This is great, haha. Have fun. :)

Dimmle

I've spent the whole day debating in my mind if i should play Genocide or not.
... On one hand, it'd go against the game stands for.
.... On the other hand, i really want more Undertale.

... One hell of a work.

The titular sequence, leaving New Home.. i would've never guessed that someone, fifteen years later, understood why FFIX's You're Not Alone was so good, and managed to replicate it. And whoever did this, both designed, wrote and composed for it? I'm still in denial.

If you're curious about Genocide, it's better to do it yourself than watch it on Youtube, trust me. And don't worry, you're not going against what the game stands for; you are playing directly into its hands, though.

One nice touch though is

These impressions are spectacular from a sick, vicarious perspective.

Okay, beat the game again, this time didn't kill anyone.

On the ending: that's some powerful shit, man. I can't say anything more there.

Anyway, some niggling questions--

The ending was very satisfying but there are still dangling threads that I didn't seem to unravel.

--There was a blank space on the file load screen between Asgore and the Monster Kid. The only other character that I can think to fit there would be Muffet, but...

--What was up with Muffet? She kind of just shows up out of nowhere, has a bizarrely involved boss fight, and then does nothing of note for the rest of the game. But maybe I missed something with her?

--I think this might be related to that, but the locked door in the snow cave near Snowdin. I could never figure it out, but I think it might have to do with Muffet due to the spider-like eyes that appear in the cave walls. I'm thinking maybe I should have visited Muffet after I left New Home after meeting Asgore, but I felt railroaded by the Undyne/Alphys plot. Didn't realize the True Lab would lock me into the end either. But when I was making my way back to The End from talking to Asriel in the Ruins I approached the door again and when I first interacted with it, instead of it saying "This is a Door" or whatever I instead heard a gurgling sound...?

--One last thing with Muffet: her claims that the person who contacted her was seen in the shadows, changing shape. At first I was thinking Flowey, but Flowey wasn't associated with shadows and couldn't change shape at will. But maybe....

--Sans, what is up with that guy? There seems to be a lot more going on with him than I could divulge. And he is the guy who always seems to appear in shadows. And why was he the one to judge me in the end? And in the resort when he said I'd be dead where I stood... somethings off here, and I never even got to enter his room (which is glowing?). So the game still has mysteries for me to divulge, but... I don't know if I have another playthrough in me.

--I'm assuming there must be another ending because there are like five songs on the soundtrack that I never saw, but the only thing I can think of is one where I do the exact opposite and kill everyone, and no, I'm not doing that.

I'm not looking for straight answers to any of these, but if anyone wants to give me any hints.

Other comments:

--I thought the use of your given name to be kind of clever but at the same time kind of felt like cheating (I think the name should have probably been left out of your stat screens), and I don't know if I really agree with giving the human a defined name. But that's just me.

--Alphys feels like she got off pretty light for having turned a bunch of people's loved ones into horrible monsters. I mean, even if they were dead or dying or something, I dunno. The game kind of just glosses over it, and the Amalgamates sort of kind of feel like they're in the game for the sake of being in it, but again, maybe I missed something.

MrHoot

--I think this might be related to that, but the locked door in the snow cave near Snowdin. I could never figure it out, but I think it might have to do with Muffet due to the spider-like eyes that appear in the cave walls. I'm thinking maybe I should have visited Muffet after I left New Home after meeting Asgore, but I felt railroaded by the Undyne/Alphys plot. Didn't realize the True Lab would lock me into the end either. But when I was making my way back to The End from talking to Asriel in the Ruins I approached the door again and when I first interacted with it, instead of it saying "This is a Door" or whatever I instead heard a gurgling sound...?

Double spoiler for this one, one for how to unlock, second for what it is, so be careful if you don't want to be spoiled on what it actually is

1)
You unlock this door by basically avoiding all the credits of the special thanks after a true pacifist ending

2)
It's a small room with the white dog in it (Toby Fox). Basically the dog is the developper. Equivalent of the silent hill 2 dog ending. Of course, that means it's the best thing ever

Top Bottom