• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Undertale |OT| Indie RPG with determination and spider bake sales

finch

I bought this game tonight and downloaded the app from the Humble store (OS X version, direct app and not the steam key) and I can't get it to open. I have Gatekeeper disabled completely, I'm control-clicked to open the app, but every time I do so, I'm getting a "This application is damaged. please move it to the trash" error.

Any ideas?

Just going through everything to make sure you've done it: You went to System preferences -> Security -> Allow Apps Downloaded from Anywhere

Go to the actual download folder, not the one in the task bar, ctrl click "open"

If that doesn't work try ctrl clicking and "show package contents" contents -> MacOS -> Mac_Runner

If nothing else works, try emailing Toby through the Undertale site. There were some problems early on and he might have found a solution.

I'm running it on Yosemite and was able to get it running after disabling Gatekeeper and ctrl clicking in the download folder.

Just going through everything to make sure you've done it: You went to System preferences -> Security -> Allow Apps Downloaded from Anywhere

Go to the actual download folder, not the one in the task bar, ctrl click "open"

If that doesn't work try ctrl clicking and "show package contents" contents -> MacOS -> Mac_Runner

If nothing else works, try emailing Toby through the Undertale site. There were some problems early on and he might have found a solution.

I'm running it on Yosemite and was able to get it running after disabling Gatekeeper and ctrl clicking in the download folder.

Yup, I tried all those things. I'll send an email. Maybe it's an El Cap specific issue. Thanks for the help.

I will be buying this later today. The Steam reviews, for the first time ever, convinced me on buying a game.
Just make sure your sound cards good enough
lRhb4fM.png

I think there's a second drawing always coupled to that one in the tumblr post I saw.

Edit:

Found it

(source)
The fan art, the music remixes, mashups, (and the wrestling of course) are so spectacular.

Dr. Buni

Just make sure your sound cards good enough
lRhb4fM.png

The fan art, the music remixes, mashups, (and the wrestling of course) are so spectacular.
I can't believe I actually went to the game's steam page to check if the requirements matched the ""requirements"" in the screen cap.

(I bought the game btw, will start playing it once I install it and the other games I bought).

After watching the Genocide stuff....

I have to say I think Flowey's special knowledge of you was better left as a mystery, explaining it makes him feel like too much of a part of the normal game. And the meta-commentary with the original human feels very clumsy and shoe-horned in comparison to the rest of the game's themes. Just my two-cents.

Question about resetting after True-Pacifist:

Is there any ramifications for doing this other than Flowey's guilt trip? I think I'm finally ready for another replay.

Dimmle

After watching the Genocide stuff....

I have to say I think Flowey's special knowledge of you was better left as a mystery, explaining it makes him feel like too much of a part of the normal game. And the meta-commentary with the original human feels very clumsy and shoe-horned in comparison to the rest of the game's themes. Just my two-cents.
I actually really dig the reflexive stuff in the Hog Wild (genocide) denouement but I agree that the dialogue in all three of Undertale's main endings can tend to be a little transparently expository and clumsy. It actually sort of reminds me of an MGS2-esque Kojima-style info dump at times.

However, Hog Wild's metatextual bits provide more context to the somewhat saccharine, abrupt and Total Anime true pacifist ending and they reinforce the themes concerning player habits that are baked into the game across all runs. So I'm into it.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
It's been three days, i'm still thinking about this game, and i'm afraid to run genocide because i fear i'll get depressed about it.

Send help.

;_;

Question about resetting after True-Pacifist:

Is there any ramifications for doing this other than Flowey's guilt trip? I think I'm finally ready for another replay.
There's a photo you get taken if you decide to not stay with Toriel, right? Well, after a True Reset, Sans will still have a copy of that photo. I'm not entirely certain where this fact gets brought up, but I've heard it's the case.

Dimmle

There's a photo you get taken if you decide to not stay with Toriel, right? Well, after a True Reset, Sans will still have a copy of that photo. I'm not entirely certain where this fact gets brought up, but I've heard it's the case.
It's actually not the same photo. The photo you find
has people you don't recognize
. But there is a small difference if you visit his room before viewing the true pacifist credits.

It's in the hidden room at the back of his house; the one with the broken machine. You get the key by doing the thing to get into his room and grabbing it from there. If you've done a true reset, the photo of you and your friends will be there in addition to the picture of Sans and his old friends.

I can't believe I actually went to the game's steam page to check if the requirements matched the ""requirements"" in the screen cap.

(I bought the game btw, will start playing it once I install it and the other games I bought).

Those are actually the system requirements for the soundtrack DLC. I, for one, am enjoying Windows 10 but I really can't wait for Windows 90000000. I hear the performance increases are stellar.

Dimmle

It's in the hidden room at the back of his house; the one with the broken machine. You get the key by doing the thing to get into his room and grabbing it from there. If you've done a true reset, the photo of you and your friends will be there in addition to the picture of Sans and his old friends.

Ah, yeah, couldn't quite remember how it went but this is it.

MrHoot

I started a "only kill Jerry" run. I'll tell you if I manage to beat Toby's cunning or if he also planned a scenario for this

DNAbro

wait this game is actually good? i need something new

From the Steam page

“The puzzles aren't particularly impressive.”
10/10 – Destructoid

“I have a couple of issues with the user interface.”
10/10 – PCInvasion

“If there’s a criticism to be had, it’s that sometimes Toby Fox doesn’t know when to let a joke go.”
10/10 – The Jimquisition

yes it's great go play it

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
From the Steam page

“The puzzles aren't particularly impressive.”
10/10 – Destructoid

“I have a couple of issues with the user interface.”
10/10 – PCInvasion

“If there’s a criticism to be had, it’s that sometimes Toby Fox doesn’t know when to let a joke go.”
10/10 – The Jimquisition

yes it's great go play it

they all sound so negative ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

ok i'll do it

I love love love this game. One of the freshest games I've played in a while. I've never been into RPGs with this sort of presentation. Now that I've been initiated by one I think I'll give Earthbound a try. Maybe even pick up the DS Dragon Quest games I tried and dropped.

Anyone know if there's any way to put a CRT filter over this game? I'm this close to just dusting off my old CRT and hooking my computer into that shit to play this game. I kinda can't stand how it looks on my computer monitor fullscreened and a foot away from my face tbh

MrHoot

I hope that toby doesn't get pressured to make a sequel or big DLC for this game as to me it just felt so neatly self contained with an impeccable little knotted bow on the end with whipped cream and a cherry on top (yes, it's a present-cake metaphor). Feeling like expanding it, especially trying to come up with more explicit "lore" like gaster would kinda ruin the magic of it.

However, wonder what his mind will come up with next, and if it's going to be in the same vein (retro RPG) or something totally new. Or something with a team.

I'd be cool if he also completely chillaxed, that lazy dog

DNAbro

I hope that toby doesn't get pressured to make a sequel or big DLC for this game as to me it just felt so neatly self contained with an impeccable little knotted bow on the end with whipped cream and a cherry on top (yes, it's a present-cake metaphor). Feeling like expanding it, especially trying to come up with more explicit "lore" like gaster would kinda ruin the magic of it.

However, wonder what his mind will come up with next, and if it's going to be in the same vein (retro RPG) or something totally new. Or something with a team.

I'm still hoping their might be something more. The game implied their might be a patch that adds stuff, not sure if it would be anything more than another secret boss fight though.

The original kickstarter did also mention a "another game" related to Undertale
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1002143342/undertale/posts/541086

the only things I would want to see out of the game at this point is
more on the Gaster mystery and Sans. It feels like such a weird build up yet not having all the answers but that could definitely be on purpose.

Also I would want a way to permanently save Asriel cause he is the only one who doesn't get a happy ending.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Did two playthroughs. One neutral, and one pacifist. Thinking I've had my fill, but also kinda wondering if I should do a genocide run or not...

LiK

started playing this tonight for a few hours. holy shit it's amazing. the soundtrack is incredible. gonna buy that.

pretty awesome that it knew
i killed Toriel and reloaded my save.
that was insane and shocked the hell outta me. so happy i didn't look up info on this game too much.

FistOfSyn

Banned
Hey guys, I have some questions about the Genocide ending.

So, the first fallen human is the name you input at first, right? Say for example I put the name Jack. Why is that Frisk is named Jack the whole game? I didn't really understand that part

Also how does Chara even take control of you anyways?

Hey guys, I have some questions about the Genocide ending.

So, the first fallen human is the name you input at first, right? Say for example I put the name Jack. Why is that Frisk is named Jack the whole game? I didn't really understand that part

Also how does Chara even take control of you anyways?
Frisk was never named "Jack." Flowey/Asriel just calls them that because they mistake Frisk for "Jack."

That said, I think putting the name in your menus feels like it's so misleading that it comes across as just straight up cheating.

----

Also, spoilers for Genocide, but I was watching the Genocide run video and seriously, fuck off, Flowey, can't you give me a moment's peace.

Defect

Can someone give me the link to the video that shows the screen glitching up? I know it's not specific but someone posted it in some other thread and I can't find it now :/

PK Gaming

Frisk was never named "Jack." Flowey/Asriel just calls them that because they mistake Frisk for "Jack."

That said, I think putting the name in your menus feels like it's so misleading that it comes across as just straight up cheating.

----

Also, spoilers for Genocide, but I was watching the Genocide run video and seriously, fuck off, Flowey, can't you give me a moment's peace.

I love this. I can't put into words just how much I love this. Undertale is so well plotted it blows my goddamn mind.

Cody_D165

Banned
started playing this tonight for a few hours. holy shit it's amazing. the soundtrack is incredible. gonna buy that.

pretty awesome that it knew
i killed Toriel and reloaded my save.
that was insane and shocked the hell outta me. so happy i didn't look up info on this game too much.

you're in for quite the ride

Kangi

After thinking about it and then rewatching it,
I only just realized the dialogue that happens when Undyne slices the bridge and you fall into the garbage is Asriel's first interaction with the Fallen Child. You even fall on golden flowers.

Have a feeling I should just play again and figure out everything I missed.

MrBadger

Just finished the pacifist route and man, that was worth it. It's been a while since I played a game with writing this good. Probably my favourite story and character cast since Ghost Trick.

At some point I'll attempt genocide, but that doesn't mean I have to feel good about it. Expecting to have a bad time

Dunkley

After thinking about it and then rewatching it,
I only just realized the dialogue that happens when Undyne slices the bridge and you fall into the garbage is Asriel's first interaction with the Fallen Child. You even fall on golden flowers.

Have a feeling I should just play again and figure out everything I missed.

I wonder still what them growing there is supposed to signify.

Because I feel like it's important somehow.

I figured that was
where Alphys threw some of her failed experiments since she hung out with the trash, either that or that's where she got the idea of using flowers from

Dunkley

I figured that was
where Alphys threw some of her failed experiments since she hung out with the trash, either that or that's where she got the idea of using flowers from

I'll be nabbing that theory to add to my headcanons.

Thank you so much for sharing, now my collection of them feels complete.

sharc

Neo Member

if i remember, one of the
messages in the true lab mentions that the yellow flower's seeds are extremely sticky, so i figured that they hitched a ride on alphys's labcoat and got deposited at the dump on her many trips.

PSqueak

Banned

Full game Hard mode and integrating the gaster stuff into the regular game would be acceptable expansions, in my opinion.

Top Bottom