• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Undertale |OT| Indie RPG with determination and spider bake sales

jonjonaug

--One last thing with Muffet: her claims that the person who contacted her was seen in the shadows, changing shape. At first I was thinking Flowey, but Flowey wasn't associated with shadows and couldn't change shape at will. But maybe....

This isn't really a hidden thing.
Mettaton outright tells you during his boss fight that he's the one that got the spiders after you.

Double spoiler for this one, one for how to unlock, second for what it is, so be careful if you don't want to be spoiled on what it actually is

1)
You unlock this door by basically avoiding all the credits of the special thanks after a true pacifist ending
Avoid them, I thought I was trying to hit them, lol

Muffet was designed by a backer, she doesn't have a big place in the story because Toby didn't make her
Well that makes a lot more sense. She does stick out like a sore thumb.

Well to answer some of your questions i'd reccommend, if you don't feel like replaying the game,
watching a video on youtube that shows the differences between pacifist and genocide run.
I might do that.
This isn't really a hidden thing.
Mettaton outright tells you during his boss fight that he's the one that got the spiders after you.
I could have swore he only says he sent the mercenaries after you, I don't remember him ever mentioning spiders.

Alfredo

I made Undertale Wrestling into a full dumb thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7Bf0fel8S0

tumblr_inline_nwl9b8AeZM1r4k36w_500.gif

23zchN3.png

Dimmle

I could have swore he only says he sent the mercenaries after you, I don't remember him ever mentioning spiders.
He paid Muffet to stop you, thus why she was telling you what she would do with her oodles of cash. Muffet says her client was a shapeshifter. Mettaton being the only explicit shapeshifter in the game, well, there you go.

edit: christ, almost forgot to spoiler this, apologies if anyone who viewed this before the edit was spoiled

DNAbro

I've spent the whole day debating in my mind if i should play Genocide or not.
... On one hand, it'd go against the game stands for.
.... On the other hand, i really want more Undertale.

... One hell of a work.

The titular sequence, leaving New Home.. i would've never guessed that someone, fifteen years later, understood why FFIX's You're Not Alone was so good, and managed to replicate it. And whoever did this, both designed, wrote and composed for it? I'm still in denial.

YES

that's immediately what that sequence reminded me of when I finished it in terms of impact of how I felt afterwards.

FFIX is my favorite FF game and that scene is one of the reasons for it.

He paid Muffet to stop you, thus why she was telling you what she would do with her oodles of cash. Muffet says her client was a shapeshifter. Mettaton being the only explicit shapeshifter in the game, well, there you go.

edit: christ, almost forgot to spoiler this, apologies if anyone who viewed this before the edit was spoiled
I guessed maybe I was confused because it was my understanding that Mettaton's transformations were not controlled by him. Maybe I don't pay attention enough--I mean, on my first playthrough I thought Mettaton was lying about Alphys using you.

Which I guess reminds me of something I wanted to praise this game for--it's really good at giving things double meanings that only come across in second playthroughs.

Like, inspecting Toriel's bed tells you "It's definitely bigger than a twin sized bed." Which just seems like goofy flavor text. And then you inspect Asgore's bed near the end, it tells you it's a "King sized bed." But by that time you've forgotten about Toriel's bed. And then you start a new game, and inspect Toriel's bed again, and suddenly it's a "duh" moment.

Or one of my favorites--my first time playing through I killed Undyne because I couldn't figure out how to spare her. While you're walking to Hotlands in silence, Papyrus calls you and tells you that it would be great to hang out with Undyne sometime, and it just comes across as miserable and made me feel guilty. And then I played through again, killing no one, and I'm being chased by Undyne down the same hallway and Papyrus calls and says the same exact thing and now it's frighteningly well timed comedy. This is really a special game.

Cody_D165

Banned
I guessed maybe I was confused because it was my understanding that Mettaton's transformations were not controlled by him. Maybe I don't pay attention enough--I mean, on my first playthrough I thought Mettaton was lying about Alphys using you.

Which I guess reminds me of something I wanted to praise this game for--it's really good at giving things double meanings that only come across in second playthroughs.

Like, inspecting Toriel's bed tells you "It's definitely bigger than a twin sized bed." Which just seems like goofy flavor text. And then you inspect Asgore's bed near the end, it tells you it's a "King sized bed." But by that time you've forgotten about Toriel's bed. And then you start a new game, and inspect Toriel's bed again, and suddenly it's a "duh" moment.

Or one of my favorites--my first time playing through i killed Undyne because I couldn't figure out how to spare her. While you're walking to Hotlands in silence, Papyrus calls you and tells you that it would be great to hang out with Undyne sometime, and it just comes across as miserable and made me feel guilty. And then I played through again, killing no one, and I'm being chased by Undyne down the same hallway and Papyrus calls and says the same exact thing and now it's frighteningly well timed comedy. This is really a special game.

GENOCIDE ENDING SPOILERS

the way they give "determination" a double meaning in the Genocide runthrough is absolutely fucking bone-chilling to me

like it's such a fucking positive theme throughout the whole game on the neutral/pacifist side, but then you start up a Genocide run and delve progressively further and further into killing everything. Every time you save, the monologue about determination becomes increasingly terse and ominous to the point where all Frisk says to him/herself is "Determination." no longer are you determined to proceed but you are determined to kill everything in your path. it's repeated at every save point and the repetition just fucking drives it home what you're actually doing in that playthrough.

a really good one i didn't notice until lately is

FLOWEY - A friendly flower, and your best friend. He has a knack for funny faces.

though maybe "my best friend" would be more accurate?

PK Gaming

GENOCIDE ENDING SPOILERS

the way they give "determination" a double meaning in the Genocide runthrough is absolutely fucking bone-chilling to me

like it's such a fucking positive theme throughout the whole game on the neutral/pacifist side, but then you start up a Genocide run and delve progressively further and further into killing everything. Every time you save, the monologue about determination becomes increasingly terse and ominous to the point where all Frisk says to him/herself is "Determination." no longer are you determined to proceed but you are determined to kill everything in your path. it's repeated at every save point and the repetition just fucking drives it home what you're actually doing in that playthrough.

This post makes me want to lie down.

Dimmle

Or one of my favorites--my first time playing through I killed Undyne because I couldn't figure out how to spare her. While you're walking to Hotlands in silence, Papyrus calls you and tells you that it would be great to hang out with Undyne sometime, and it just comes across as miserable and made me feel guilty. And then I played through again, killing no one, and I'm being chased by Undyne down the same hallway and Papyrus calls and says the same exact thing and now it's frighteningly well timed comedy. This is really a special game.

(general spoilers for neutral or pacifist)

1. Did you also notice that the first caller to Mettaton's farewell "program" is Blook? You can tell by the font, manner of speaking, and the fact that Mettaton begins to say "Bl..." It's a neat detail, especially if you discover Mettaton's backstory by using the key to the house next to Blook's pad.

2. I loved Papyrus's phone call as an example of one of many instances in Undertale where a line or piece of flavor text is received to starkly different effect depending on the player's context. Or even objects: I also killed Undyne on my first run and I thought the presence of the water cooler in Hotland amounted to nothing more than a silly joke.

bronk

Banned
Hey guys does this game have any chance of coming to PS4? It seems like every PC game im interested in always ends up on PS4 sooner or later and thats where I like to play all my games. If not im gonna buy it right now because this shit looks amazing.

Cody_D165

Banned
Hey guys does this game have any chance coming to PS4? It seems like every PC game im interested in always ends up on PS4 sooner or later and thats where I like to play all my games. If not im gonna buy it right because this shit looks amazing.

No idea. But if you want my opinion, buy it sooner than later. It's worth every penny.

Hugstable

Banned
Hey guys does this game have any chance of coming to PS4? It seems like every PC game im interested in always ends up on PS4 sooner or later and thats where I like to play all my games. If not im gonna buy it right now because this shit looks amazing.

Honestly with some of the things the game does, I don't think they'd be able to put it on console. Just get it now, you definitely won't regret if you have interest in it

DNAbro

When asked about it by GameInformer I believe he said it could possibly come to consoles but he sounded very non-committal. There is some things that the game does that I don't exactly know how he would implement it on consoles.

bronk

Banned
Honestly with some of the things the game does, I don't think they'd be able to put it on console. Just get it now, you definitely won't regret if you have interest in it
Seeing so much love for this game and it looks very unique. Screw it i'll just double dip and show support. Lets do this

I don't even really know anything at all about wrestling but this looks amazing! Thank you so much for making someone with such passion! I will have to watch the whole thing later.

I know this doesn't make any sense at all considering even Shovel Knight is a stretch and his game was a timed exclusive for Nintendo, but I'd really love "Human child" or "Papyrus" to come into Brawl. Yes, Undertale hasn't even come out for any Nintendo platforms and probably won't ever, but the characters in the game are too good. "Human"/"Child" would be a must, with Papyrus as an assist trophy with stage/fighter unique dialogue before and after doing his "Cool Dude" special attack. Maybe every so often the dog (who might be a representation of toby fox, if the greenlight trailer is to be believed) would come in to steal all the bones.

"Dating tense!"

(general spoilers for neutral or pacifist)

1. Did you also notice that the first caller to Mettaton's farewell "program" is Blook? You can tell by the font, manner of speaking, and the fact that Mettaton begins to say "Bl..." It's a neat detail, especially if you discover Mettaton's backstory by using the key to the house next to Blook's pad.

2. I loved Papyrus's phone call as an example of one of many instances in Undertale where a line or piece of flavor text is received to starkly different effect depending on the player's context. Or even objects: I also killed Undyne on my first run and I thought the presence of the water cooler in Hotland amounted to nothing more than a silly joke.
Yeah, I had already connected the dots with Mettaton and Napstablook at that point, so I got that right away. And the water cooler absolutely vexed me my first playthrough, so I was happy to see it have a purpose in my second.

----

And I just watched a video of the Genocide differences and yeah, definitely not fucking doing that, holy shit.

Kangi

Finally got this game yesterday, and I am not ashamed to say I burnt through it and finished a pacifist run tonight.

Even though I read scattered impressions of it before, the
True Lab still managed to completely unsettle me. I alt-tabbed when lying on the bed, and received an unpleasant surprise when I alt-tabbed back. The amalgamations were awful experiences (especially the Snowdin Forest one), and the Asriel tapes' implications were unnerving

And despite the fact that I had seen some spoilers before playing and was generally okay with it, I'm glad I didn't
know about Flowey's identity. I thought him just being a flower injected with "determination" was all there was to his origin story, but the truth didn't hit me until the final boss name was flashing on the screen. Very glad that I was rewarded for going back to the beginning after the end like in the demo; I wanted to give him another hug

That said, I can't bring myself to reset and do a no mercy run. Both because I can't bring myself to kill any characters, and because
there's no way I could handle Sans and I don't like admitting defeat

PSqueak

Banned

That was magical. MAGICAL!

Finally got this game yesterday, and I am not ashamed to say I burnt through it and finished a pacifist run tonight.

Even though I read scattered impressions of it before, the
True Lab still managed to completely unsettle me. I alt-tabbed when lying on the bed, and received an unpleasant surprise when I alt-tabbed back. The amalgamations were awful experiences (especially the Snowdin Forest one), and the Asriel tapes' implications were unnerving

And despite the fact that I had seen some spoilers before playing and was generally okay with it, I'm glad I didn't
know about Flowey's identity. I thought him just being a flower injected with "determination" was all there was to his origin story, but the truth didn't hit me until the final boss name was flashing on the screen. Very glad that I was rewarded for going back to the beginning after the end like in the demo; I wanted to give him another hug

That said, I can't bring myself to reset and do a no mercy run. Both because I can't bring myself to kill any characters, and because
there's no way I could handle Sans and I don't like admitting defeat

I can completely empathize with your stance, tho i do admit that
Endogeny, that is, the dog amalgamate, managed to lighten the mood of the true lab

In other news, because i could still not get over the Muffet genocide speech and am a horrible person, i made something:

Link contains spoilers, technically (also main blog might contain things of questionable safety for work).

Kangi

I can completely empathize with your stance, tho i do admit that
Endogeny, that is, the dog amalgamate, managed to lighten the mood of the true lab

I tried to let that
cheer me up, but it being this twisted version of something as quirky and cute as the dog-related scenes and "fights" actually made things worse. "You liked those doggies, didn't you? Great! Here's a giant abomination of melted-together doggy corpses. You're welcome!"

I bought this game tonight and downloaded the app from the Humble store (OS X version, direct app and not the steam key) and I can't get it to open. I have Gatekeeper disabled completely, I'm control-clicked to open the app, but every time I do so, I'm getting a "This application is damaged. please move it to the trash" error.

Any ideas?

I bought this game tonight and downloaded the app from the Humble store (OS X version, direct app and not the steam key) and I can't get it to open. I have Gatekeeper disabled completely, I'm control-clicked to open the app, but every time I do so, I'm getting a "This application is damaged. please move it to the trash" error.

Any ideas?

Try downloading it again?

Top Bottom