• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Undertale |OT| Indie RPG with determination and spider bake sales

dickroach

I've been watching the Game Grumps playthrough (as annoying as the voices are) and today's episode got me curious what does happen with the Muffet fight if you don't buy anything from the spiders in the Ruins?

I've been watching the Game Grumps playthrough (as annoying as the voices are) and today's episode got me curious what does happen with the Muffet fight if you don't buy anything from the spiders in the Ruins?

After enough turns, a spider comes by with a note saying you never hurt any spiders, Muffet apologizes and lets you go

Stoze

Beat it for the first time, got the True Pacifist ending. Honestly probably should've went with Neutral ending first since I assume replays will be all downhill from here, but I went into the game knowing absolutely nothing other than seeing the trailer. Didn't know how many endings or variations of them there were (until checking this thread last night, and I'm still kinda confused). Will probably wait a bit to start Neutral.

Oh yeah, and the game was fantastic and probably my GoTY. I just expected a quirky RPG like Earthbound (one of my favorite games), and those expectations were met and then shattered.

DNAbro

Beat it for the first time, got the True Pacifist ending. Honestly probably should've went with Neutral ending first since I assume replays will be all downhill from here, but I went into the game knowing absolutely nothing other than seeing the trailer. Didn't know how many endings or variations of them there were (until checking this thread last night, and I'm still kinda confused). Will probably wait a bit to start Neutral.

Oh yeah, and the game was fantastic and probably my GoTY. I just expected a quirky RPG like Earthbound (one of my favorite games), and those expectations were met and then shattered.

umm

you have to get a neutral ending first to get the true pacifist ending. the neutral endings just change dialogue a bit depending on who is alive and dead.

Puruzi

Banned
umm

you have to get a neutral ending first to get the true pacifist ending. the neutral endings just change dialogue a bit depending on who is alive and dead.

yeah, but
you don't have to replay the game. just jump back in and hang with alphys and then you get the rest. It's what I did my first playthrough too. Still haven't done another

DNAbro

yeah, but
you don't have to replay the game. just jump back in and hang with alphys and then you get the rest. It's what I did my first playthrough too. Still haven't done another

I know, I just wanted to make sure they did the actual true pacifist ending lol.

Alex

The amount of very plausible and twisty theories about the origins of Sans (and Papyrus) really makes post game discussions fun. I legitimately have a good time reading all of this stuff on other boards, the amount of intricacies is really neat.

I do wish there were just a few more concrete details to piece things together but I guess it's left vague for a reason

Stoze

yeah, but

Right, this is what I did.

umm

Okay, so let me get things straight then...
I technically already got the Neutral ending and the Pacifist ending? The Neutral ending was Asgore dieing and beating Flowey, and the phone call from him afterwards about Alphys and the save revert was basically the start of the Pacifist ending, which ends with you fighting Asriel/getting out with everyone.

If that's the case then yeah, maybe a Neutral run would be basically retreading.

Leezard

Right, this is what I did.

Okay, so let me get things straight then...
I technically already got the Neutral ending and the Pacifist ending? The Neutral ending was Asgore dieing and beating Flowey, and the phone call from him afterwards about Alphys and the save revert was basically the start of the Pacifist ending, which ends with you fighting Asriel/getting out with everyone.

If that's the case then yeah, maybe a Neutral run would be basically retreading.

Yes, you've already done a Neutral run then.

Stoze

Yes, you've already done a Neutral run then.

Cool. Thanks for explaining guys.

I may still just do a quick play through non-genocide anyways though, mostly because I'm not ready to murder peeps but also want to play some more and see if I missed anything.

Jintor

I got an ending, and I'm kind of unsatisfied with it, but given I don't particularly want to replay the entire thing is it okay just to hang out and watch LP's/hang out in 'spoiler' threads etc?

Or is there an NG+ or something that will get me more?

Nearly all pacifist but I killed that piece of shit flower at the end, because holy shit, fuck that flower

JC Sera

I got an ending, and I'm kind of unsatisfied with it, but given I don't particularly want to replay the entire thing is it okay just to hang out and watch LP's/hang out in 'spoiler' threads etc?

Nearly all pacifist but I killed that piece of shit flower at the end, because holy shit, fuck that flower
Reload and try talking to papyrus if you don't have his number. If you did that, try talking to undyne

however I cant remeber if killing flowey excludes you from this

As in, restart, or load my last save and go to his house?

If you want some help from the game itself, try going back and sparing the flower. He might have a few words for you.

E:

Actually wait I'm not sure if you actually get help or what happens if you go back multiple times or... Aaaa so many branching paths in this game!

PK Gaming

Wait, wait, wait

You went the ENTIRE GAME without killing ANYBODY jumping through all sorts of hoops to spare all sorts of enemies that have thrown all sorts of shit at you, having the concept of mercy beaten in your skull CONSTANTLY. And you blow your full pacifist run on the very last enemy in the game?
what?

Jintor

Wait, wait, wait

You went the ENTIRE GAME without killing ANYBODY jumping through all sorts of hoops to spare all sorts of enemies that have thrown all sorts of shit at you, having the concept of mercy beaten in your skull CONSTANTLY. And you blow your full pacifist run on the very last enemy in the game?
what?

it's like being merciful to
cthulhu

I mean, every other creature in the game that wants to kill you wants to do it for various other reasons that are variously tied to being, well, a creature you could empathise with in some manner. Whereas flower almost literally goes WELL NOW I HAVE BECOME A GOD and turns into an eldritch abomination.

PK Gaming

it's like being merciful to
cthulhu

I mean, every other creature in the game that wants to kill you wants to do it for various other reasons that are variously tied to being, well, a creature you could empathise with in some manner. Whereas flower almost literally goes WELL NOW I HAVE BECOME A GOD and turns into an eldritch abomination.

But ask yourself this:

Why? Why would this thing do any of these things?

Stay tuned for the next episode of Undertale Z.

But ask yourself this:

Why? Why would this thing do any of these things?

Stay tuned for the next episode of Undertale Z.

Formal request for Jintor (or really anyone else in a similar state in the game!) not to read the following spoiler as it's pertaining to things he hasn't seen!

I do hope he's not reading this as it's a bit "wink wink nudge nudge" and I don't like to do that kind of thing, especially regarding Undertale because it kind of hurts the experience a little when you have expectations.

With that said...

Oh man I love the "everyone has reasons except him" response because MAN he's gonna love the next part of the game. I know I did; I had the same response! Boy did I feel awful retrospectively!

Wait, wait, wait

AFAIK killing Flowey doesn't ruin a pacifist run, he just doesn't give you an extra hint about the true ending.

DNAbro

looks like i true ended it. god damn that true end took it up from 'pretty great' to 'GOD DAMN, AMAZING'

I love how this seems to be the reaction of everyone who plays the game. I don't think I've seen one person who has been disappointed by that ending.

Thud

Got the true ending, but I haven't done genocide mode yet.

I don't think I could handle resetting and killing everything I hold dear haha.

Teknoman

Sans looks/sounds like he'd either be voiced by Tone loc or whoever voiced grounder from the Sonic cartoon.

On that note, you'll definitely have to fight some monsters, just not kill em right?

Sans looks/sounds like he'd either be voiced by Tone loc or whoever voiced grounder from the Sonic cartoon.

On that note, you'll definitely have to fight some monsters, just not kill em right?

I'll put it this way: there are definitely times where the "FIGHT" option will seem like the best choice.

Real answer: there are only a few times where you're forced to "FIGHT" and they're pretty obvious.

PSqueak

Banned
How can you play with a gamepad? Doesn't seem to recognize my 360 controller off the bat.

I used a Street fighter game pad for the 360 with no problems....

...Well, until i upgradedto windows 10, technically the game still is compatible with the pad, but for some reason doesn't recognize all 4 directions on the D-Pad some times.

But other than that the game didn't have a problem with my pad. I dunno what might be causing your problems.

Some monsters you can beat them up untill they surrender and you can spare them then, but this can bite you in the ass if you're not careful.

Dimmle

I love how this seems to be the reaction of everyone who plays the game. I don't think I've seen one person who has been disappointed by that ending.
I actually kinda prefer the Neutral ending (if only for the boss) but the narrative would definitely feel incomplete without the True stuff.

Dimmle

How can you play with a gamepad? Doesn't seem to recognize my 360 controller off the bat.

Did you try mapping the keys to your gamepad in the settings menu? I don't recall if it works right away or whether you have to configure your button layout first.

Teknoman

Did you try mapping the keys to your gamepad in the settings menu? I don't recall if it works right away or whether you have to configure your button layout first.

Lol wow, I didn't think of that. I'm used to just working off the bat, but I thought Windows 10 might have had some issues. I'll give it a shot when I get back.

LiK

finished it with true ending. holy shit, this was such an amazing journey. def my GOTY

Okay, I'm finally going to start this. Should I just dive in without knowing anything?

i went in blind and it fucking floored me. don't look up anything about it.

Dimmle

Just curious: have there been any good covers or remixes of "Spear of Justice" or "Battle Against a True Hero" lately? I feel like these songs particularly aren't getting the attention they deserve.

GENOCIDE (HOG WILD) SPOILERS BELOW

I've only found this piano cover of "Battle Against a True Hero" by Unkempt Hair. It's excellent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UA2Wruwgsg

Top Bottom