• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Undertale |OT| Indie RPG with determination and spider bake sales

DNAbro

Any plans for DLC or sequel or whatever?

Original kickstarter specified "another game" related to it and also comics. This could be anything though, might be serious, might be a complete joke.

There might be a patch as well as hinted in game.

MrBadger

Welp, time to start the genocide route

t8JjQix.gif

I already feel like a monster. I killed Toriel after she agreed to let me go

ghibli99

Just started this, and am a few hours in. Loving it so far. The combat system is so original and I'm surprised that nothing like it's been done before... then again, maybe it has. It's not like I've played every RPG ever made. Still, it's terrific, and the soundtrack is superb.

Kientin

TRUE PACIFIST:

So I just finished up the true pacifist run a second time and this is also the second time I've been in Sans's secret room behind his house. Looking in the drawer that has a picture with all the people that you don't recognize, I think something changed this time. That drawer also contains "one photo of you standing with Sans and all your friends." I can only assume this photo is the same one you get if you tell Toriel that you have someplace to go in the ending. If this is the case, this means that Sans knows that you reset everything after the true pacifist run once already. That actually kinda stung haha....

Just started this, and am a few hours in. Loving it so far. The combat system is so original and I'm surprised that nothing like it's been done before... then again, maybe it has. It's not like I've played every RPG ever made. Still, it's terrific, and the soundtrack is superb.

Closest I can think of is Knights in the Nightmare

It seems kind of odd to think of a game this way, but I think the only way to truly beat this game is
to get the True Pacifist ending and then stop playing it completely. Don't give Flowey any reason to be smug and let Sans rest.

I think I need to go lie down, the game got me. It got me good.

Mistle

I accidentally let
Monster Kid fall off the bridge haha
. Does this affect my attempted Pacifist Run? I'll have to reload my save if so.

Salbug

It seems kind of odd to think of a game this way, but I think the only way to truly beat this game is
to get the True Pacifist ending and then stop playing it completely. Don't give Flowey any reason to be smug and let Sans rest.

I think I need to go lie down, the game got me. It got me good.

I've been thinking a lot about it, and it got me wondering even more about it...
Would it be considered selfish, knowing everyone will forget everything, to "true reset" just to go for the true pacifist route again? This is the type of game I want to play on a yearly basis just to revisit all of the wonderful characters, and experience it's story again, and again.

Okay. Just beat it the night before. From the looks of posts and reading some reddit threads, I seem to have gotten the Neutral Ending, which is a good starting point it seems.

Although at the end, I did
kill Flowey
and I am confused as it seems the consensus is to go from
Neutral > Pacifist > Genocide >>> So on
but most of the people saying to go to Pacifist you had to
spare him

Anyone mind extrapolating for me. Should I retry for another Neutral? What's my next move. When I boot the game up it still has "Load". I'm supposed to reset now right?

Edit: Loved the game though, fantastic. Surprised at how much I enjoyed it. Gotta thank the Dunkey video. Watched the first 2 minutes and stopped because I didn't want to keep spoiling myself. Glad I did stop. I wouldn't recommend that video for someone interested in playing thoug haha.

Kangi

I've been thinking a lot about it, and it got me wondering even more about it...
Would it be considered selfish, knowing everyone will forget everything, to "true reset" just to go for the true pacifist route again? This is the type of game I want to play on a yearly basis just to revisit all of the wonderful characters, and experience it's story again, and again.
You get called out for it, I believe. Not aware of the specifics, however.

Salbug

You get called out for it, I believe. Not aware of the specifics, however.

*Post True-Ending Spoilers*
I know Flowey begs you not to reset the time-line, and everyone's memories,
I'm merely just questioning the morals of
resetting to experience it all again. ;o

Jintor

The first question you have to ask yourself is: who is judging you?

if it's you, and you don't care, then go ahead.

Kangi

*Post True-Ending Spoilers*
I know Flowey begs you not to reset the time-line, and everyone's memories,
I'm merely just questioning the morals of
resetting to experience it all again. ;o

True Pacifist and Sans-related spoilers within.
Doing a true pacifist run and then resetting has a photograph show up in Sans' workshop that shows your group of friends; meaning he's aware that you reset and took happiness away from him and the others. I think the Undyne encounter also has an additional line calling you a bad person who just manipulates people into liking you.

So, I mean... you're being nice again but you also won't let them stay happy. Up to you if you think that makes you a bad person~

Personally, I backed up my file and made a new one to do a new playthrough. In retrospect, it's pretty amazing that the game can make me feel guilty enough to do that.

mbpm1

Okay. Just beat it the night before. From the looks of posts and reading some reddit threads, I seem to have gotten the Neutral Ending, which is a good starting point it seems.

Although at the end, I did
kill Flowey
and I am confused as it seems the consensus is to go from
Neutral > Pacifist > Genocide >>> So on
but most of the people saying to go to Pacifist you had to
spare him

Anyone mind extrapolating for me. Should I retry for another Neutral? What's my next move. When I boot the game up it still has "Load". I'm supposed to reset now right?

I think you do
need flowey around for the second time around to get true pacifist. He takes part in some plot events that you of course can't get if he's dead. So uhh...that sucks.

True Pacifist and Sans-related spoilers within.
Doing a true pacifist run and then resetting has a photograph show up in Sans' workshop that shows your group of friends; meaning he's aware that you reset and took happiness away from him and the others. I think the Undyne encounter also has an additional line calling you a bad person who just manipulates people into liking you.

So, I mean... you're being nice again but you also won't let them stay happy. Up to you if you think that makes you a bad person~

Personally, I backed up my file and made a new one to do a new playthrough. In retrospect, it's pretty amazing that the game can make me feel guilty enough to do that.

I kind of feel like if you
tried a second true pacifist playthrough there should be a third plotline that has the moral of "letting go" where the fact that you reset to go again causes problems in the game world. Would be a great ending run through.

Jintor

I think you do
need flowey around for the second time around to get true pacifist. He takes part in some plot events that you of course can't get if he's dead. So uhh...that sucks.

No, I dunked him and still got true pacifist, so don't worry about it. You just don't get any hints.

Sers: If
you didn't kill anyone in the entire game except for Flowey, you can continue from your save just before the end; otherwise, you're going to need to reset and try again without killing anyone. If you didn't kill anyone, you need to go either chat with Papyrus in his house in Snowdin, chat with Undyne in her house in Waterfall (it's the fish-looking one), or deliver the thing to Andyne in her lab.

Diamond

Ended my first run last night, didn't try to be über pacifist, I had read a few things but I played without knowing it would unlock a completely new ending. I spared all of the secondary encounters but killed a majority of the bosses
(didn't know you could use mercy many times and it would work)
, and strangely I'm kinda glad I did because some of the deaths were totally gut-wrenching
(the Toriel and Undyne fights, geez, )
, and it made the perspective of the second run really appealing.

Great game, kinda excited to continue tonight.

Yeah there's no way he can release the game with
scripted crashes
on consoles.

Well Arkham Asylum, Fez or MGS already did a few things like that on consoles. Not a complete crash/back to the desktop thing like Undertale, but pretty close to that.

Niahak

Finished true pacifist yesterday! Some thoughts below, nothing too lore-deep or anything.

Neutral ending section was really jarring for me - I mean, it's supposed to be, but I've never been great and handling when games do that. So yeah, pretty spooky. Doing the True Lab the next day was a little rough, but thankfully the True Ending sections weren't nearly as spooky/jarring. Felt like a very satisfying ending to everything. Looking forward to clicking all the spoilers in this thread!

I never did get the chance to go into Sans' room - what would I have found there, I wonder, based on his knowledge of how many enemies I (didn't) kill? How did he get his judgey powers?

Also interesting that Asriel's name is ASgore and toRIEL. If he'd had a sibling, would it be Togore? (yeah, yeah, it'd be the "main character's name"... sorta).

Fun that it has you "name the fallen child" and then the one you named... wasn't the one you thought you were naming.

/edit: some more lorey questions and musings
How long ago were Sans, Papyrus, and Undyne born that they didn't remember Toriel?
I don't even remember if Alphys remembered her, but it's not clear when Alphys' experiments took place...
Also, one of the shopkeepers said something interesting in the epilogue, to the effect of:
-When a monster has a child, the monster grows older as the child grows up, but a childless monster will live effectively forever; which is why Asgore and Toriel stopped aging after Asriel 'died'. Who are Sans and Papyrus' parents (are they siblings, anyway?), and why are none of the other monsters nearly as old as Asgore/Toriel seem to be?

Molemitts

This is probably my second favourite game of the year right now, just behind Bloodborne. It just came out of nowhere and I ended up loving it. It constantly came up with something new that could make me smile or twist my emotions.

I just got the pacifist ending and everything was so perfect, but now all I can think about is that I have to kill everyone next.

Dimmle

How long ago were Sans, Papyrus, and Undyne born that they didn't remember Toriel?

Undyne is relatively young by monster standards as you can learn by talking to the turtle merchant.
Sans and Papyrus aren't necessarily young but may have arrived somewhat recently to Snowdin, as implied by the bunny merchant. No one quite remembers when they showed up.

-When a monster has a child, the monster grows older as the child grows up, but a childless monster will live effectively forever; which is why Asgore and Toriel stopped aging after Asriel 'died'. Who are Sans and Papyrus' parents (are they siblings, anyway?), and why are none of the other monsters nearly as old as Asgore/Toriel seem to be?
Immortality without children only applies to boss monsters and as far as we know, Toriel and Asgore are the only boss monsters in the game

LiK

can't believe this game was made primarily by one guy. read he's also a composer for past games. what a talented guy. I would like to shake his hand.

Niahak

Immortality without children only applies to boss monsters and as far as we know, Toriel and Asgore are the only boss monsters in the game

Cool! Thanks.
(Also, looks like when you quoted me you dropped a spoiler tag - might be good to put that in to avoid spoiling people on
Toriel/Asgore/Asriel
stuff)

Jintor

i don't believe this

DOG SPOILERS
if you call toriel's phone while in the artifact room hidden behind the piano in waterfall... the dog in your inventory will start ringing because it's the same dog who stole her phone in the tutorial

Niahak

I thought of another question.

There's a room in Snowdin fairly close to Snowdin town, where the christmas tree reindeer monster hangs out. There's a locked door there with four of the toggle-able mushrooms. I tried binary-toggle methods on my way past initially to see if there's a simple password, but it didn't work. Is there a way to get in, and what's in there if so?

I wasn't totally sold on this game even after all the hype, but when Dan Ryckert spoke so highly of it on the Bombcast I decided to pick it up. After playing for about an hour... I have no idea what this game is.

When I started playing it, I went along with the assumption that it's not a "typical" RPG, so I didn't play it like one. I fled from every battle I was able to and spared every enemy I could. I felt like that's what the game was pushing me towards.

I also didn't bother buying items because I figured it wasn't really necessary for a funny little story-driven romp.

But now I'm reaching the point where there have been a couple genuinely difficult battles and I'm wondering if I have hamstrung myself by avoiding XP and gold, making these fights more difficult for myself. It's making me feel a bit put off by the whole thing.

So what should I do? Do I need to keep playing the game in this "alternative" style that it suggested at the beginning? Or am I better off just playing it like a traditional RPG and slaying every enemy I come across? So far the game has not done a good job of spelling out the consequences for my actions.

I wasn't totally sold on this game even after all the hype, but when Dan Ryckert spoke so highly of it on the Bombcast I decided to pick it up. After playing for about an hour... I have no idea what this game is.

When I started playing it, I went along with the assumption that it's not a "typical" RPG, so I didn't play it like one. I fled from every battle I was able to and spared every enemy I could. I felt like that's what the game was pushing me towards.

I also didn't bother buying items because I figured it wasn't really necessary for a funny little story-driven romp.

But now I'm reaching the point where there have been a couple genuinely difficult battles and I'm wondering if I have hamstrung myself by avoiding XP and gold, making these fights more difficult for myself. It's making me feel a bit put off by the whole thing.

So what should I do? Do I need to keep playing the game in this "alternative" style that it suggested at the beginning? Or am I better off just playing it like a traditional RPG and slaying every enemy I come across? So far the game has not done a good job of spelling out the consequences for my actions.

First playthrough, do whatever you want to. A 0xp run is completely possible, you just have to learn patterns.

Top Bottom