• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Undertale |OT| Indie RPG with determination and spider bake sales

Saikyo

From my understanding, I think what
Toriel wanted Asgore to do was to get the human souls by just having humans on their deathbeds agree to help once they passed away, thus solving everything peacefully without having to murder anyone

I dont think so.
Humans in this game simply attacked Asriel carrying Chara thinking he killed him, there was also a war and the fact that the monsters were sealed, of course in the pacifist end they are living with the humans but...I still think Toriel was suggesting Asgore to kill humans in the surface, I like that this makes her not "perfect".

MrBadger

Yeah,
that line was more about insulting Asgore and saying his plan was still flawed as he was unnecessarily leaving the underworld in fear.

I dont think so.
Humans in this game simply attacked Asriel carrying Chara thinking he killed him, there was also a war and the fact that the monsters were sealed, of course in the pacifist end they are living with the humans but...I still think Toriel was suggesting Asgore to kill humans in the surface, I like that this makes her not "perfect".
Asriel was attacked because he was carrying Chara's corpse, why would they simply attack Asgore? Considering one of the possible Pacifist endings, monsters managed to fit in with the humans without Frisk acting as an ambassador, I don't think humans even hate monsters that much anymore if they accepted them like that.

PSqueak

Banned
I still would like to sit down and have tea with the big guy. Asgore got caught up in something he clearly wasn't ready for. After all, Toriel WAS the brains behind the throne.

That's also something that was brought up by Weaver (an artists that does silly UT comics for /utg/) that speaks volumes of Toriel too.
She was the brains behind the throne, yet instead of staying with her people when they needed her the most and stopping Asgore from screwing himself up with his ridiculous plans, she left him, locked herself in the ruins and washed her hands of all the responsibility, instead trying to convince passing humans to stay with her in her little world where nothing ever changes, it took Frisk's adventure (and Asgore's death in the neutral ending) to make her come to her senses and try to restore order to the kingdom that truly needed their Queen.

I dont think so.

I personally go a bit in the opposite direction, as far as her character flaws go.

"Nobody should have to die to let another go free." That was Toriel's goal, in the end, making sure nobody fought.

But she keeps herself locked in the Ruins for the majority of the game, taking a completely passive role in most of the story. Sure, she tells you to "be good" and it sticks with you (or at least it did with me) but other than that she's a complete non-factor in the plot until the end.

Why, then? Because she's shut herself off from the rest of the world.

She's protective to a fault; up until you twist the knife, yourself, she believes she's protecting you from the rest of the underworld. Once you leave, however, it's no longer her problem. She could have walked right into Asgore's castle with you and given him a verbal thrashing as she does during the true ending, but she had decided she wanted nothing to do with him anymore. She'd locked herself away from a kingdom that clearly needed her guidance.

Of course, by the end, she's sat and thought it through and decided she needed to act. I mean, there's not a whole lot else to do down there. After all, "the ruins are quite small once you get to know them."

That's also something that was brought up by Weaver (an artists that does silly UT comics for /utg/) that speaks volumes of Toriel too.
She was the brains behind the throne, yet instead of staying with her people when they needed her the most and stopping Asgore from screwing himself up with his ridiculous plans, she left him, locked herself in the ruins and washed her hands of all the responsibility, instead trying to convince passing humans to stay with her in her little world where nothing ever changes, it took Frisk's adventure (and Asgore's death in the neutral ending) to make her come to her senses and try to restore order to the kingdom that truly needed their Queen.

Aaaand you beat me to it! That's what I get for being a slow typer.

I dont think so.

She wasn't suggesting that
he murder humans at all, she was calling him out on his bullshit. "If you really wanted things to go this way you could've crossed the barrier yourself and gotten all the souls you needed ages ago," basically.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
GENOCIDE SPOILERS FOR UP UNTIL THE FIRST GENOCIDE-ONLY BOSS FIGHT

"... But nobody came".
I haven't ever been so horrified at something i've done.
Goddamn this game.
Oh wait, my favourite character, Toriel, is telling me i'm a danger to both monster and humans. There goes my self-rationalizing that i'm just avoiding a war, Kirotsugu-like.
Goddamn this game.
Undyne the Undying has killed me 38 times, making it 38 timelines she saved the world.
The more times i die, the more timelines she's saved. I'm not very incentivized to win here.
Goddamn this game.

Tonight there was a huge thunderstorm near my house, and my sleep was terrible - resulting in Undertale-related nightmares about genocide.
Goddamn this game.

I should stop playing.

I probably won't.

Goddamn this game.

Asriel was attacked because he was carrying Chara's corpse, why would they simply attack Asgore?

And they thought he killed him bc of it.

Yeah, Toriel I definitely think was just mocking Asgore's cowardice and violence when they could have possibly waited the situation out. How old do we think they are, anyways? There is obviously the Asgore looking guy in the flashback, but I think this must be an ancestor, because they establish the soul transfer/inheritance system with the turtle guy's endgame dialogue, and I don't see why this'd be brought up without there at least being some generations of his family before him while the monsters were trapped.

I also get the impression that the turtle wouldn't have known this without at least being aware of some generations of the royal family prior to Asgore's, and if Asgore had lasted since before the war, why would someone who had lived through "most" but not all of history know about it? I guess it could be common knowledge but it seems like something that wouldn't be talked about a lot and that is sort of forgotten by most monsters since no one tells you about it before. Additionally, I just don't think Asgore could have been around during the war, since he doesn't seem to hold a grudge against humanity for it, but rather a sorrow from the death of his son & Chara.

Another thing to consider is how many other "boss monsters" are about, since I get the impression Asgore was the royalty and Toriel was wed into the position, since she refuses to be called "Dreemurr" anymore.

I choose to interpret Chara was a kid who for whatever reason had an abusive life and may have tried to kill themselves by jumping down the whole, but found some happiness when they were adopted into the royal family. For some reason however, the darkness remained, and they wanted freedom despite being somewhat happy for a time underground. So they executed their xanatos gambit suicide strategy to escape with Asriel (I think they wanted to live inside Asriel, not control him for evil reasons), but Asriel stopped Chara from destroying the village. Asriel instead died, driving Chara over the deep end completely, essentially turning them into a mirror of Flowey/Asriel, but having more of an original intent to kill built-in.

So Chara and Asriel both went over the edge, but Chara had more trauma to start with, so they went more overboard and became irredeemable.

I should probably mention that I have only read a summary of the genocide ending, so I'm not super familiar with Chara, I just want to at least interpret that they loved Asriel at least, but the darkness in their heart corrupted them to a point of no return.

105.Will

So I was thinking about starting this tonight but (I don't think this is really a spoiler but to be safe)
ive been hearing that the mercy ending is the most rewarding and I just wanted to know, should go for that on my first play through?

So I was thinking about starting this tonight but (I don't think this is really a spoiler but to be safe)
ive been hearing that the mercy ending is the most rewarding and I just wanted to know, should go for that on my first play through?
Just play however you feel like in the first playthrough.

I say, just do what feels right to you. Don't frustrate yourself. Don't play the game for someone else.

Do what you want to do in the game.

I personally find the Mercy ending to be the most rewarding specifically because it WASN'T my first run. It felt a bit more like I worked to earn it y'know?

Anyhow, don't worry about it too much.

105.Will

I say, just do what feels right to you. Don't frustrate yourself. Don't play the game for someone else.

Do what you want to do in the game.

I personally find the Mercy ending to be the most rewarding specifically because it WASN'T my first run. It felt a bit more like I worked to earn it y'know?

Anyhow, don't worry about it too much.
Yeah I'll do that. Thanks!

Play as you will.

words

words

Woah. Never thought of that, but its right. On a related note my Mom who played the demo asked me why Toriel didn't just offer to come with the kid, and I explained it as "the situation is complicated", but she was actually onto something without even the full context. Toriel is sweet, and motherly, and awesome, but your right, she avoids her responsibility and runs away from her problems just like Asgore and many others. Frisk once again coming out on top as the best person (in Pacifist). (Still somewhat salty my Chara, Sam (Samuel/Samantha) ended up being so twisted, and that Frisk has their own canon name, but its a nice twist and I like my theory above.)

mbpm1

I played neutral my first playthrough,
but mostly bc I accidentally killed the dummy instead of talking to it. -.-

Aureon

Haha, I love your particular arc with this game. Have the battle mechanics gelled with you yet? ;D

Well, i did manage to understand the pattern of the first two attacks of
Undyne the Undying
, after 20 tries or so.
That was very satisfying.
It's still too hard for me - Undyne with gamepad instead of kbm was particularly harsh, but i'm used to the pad, so i'm basically hotswitching between the two every phase change.

Thud

Undyne the Undying
, after 20 tries or so.
It's still too hard for me - Undyne with gamepad instead of kbm was particularly harsh, but i'm used to the pad, so i'm basically hotswitching between the two every phase change.

I also had some trouble with that fight, but the next major one is literally giving you a bad time.

Dimmle

Undyne the Undying
, after 20 tries or so.

Yeah, I ran into that problem on Hog Wild. Some bosses/attacks seem easier with a keyboard and others with a gamepad. I feel like Undyne's arrow onslaughts are easier with a d-pad but for other attacks I had more luck with arrow keys.

I died to the Undying so many times but she may be my favorite boss in the game. She really shows the height that Undertale's battles can reach.

Aureon

I also had some trouble with that fight, but the next major one is literally giving you a bad time.

Sadly, i've been spoiled about Sans.
Which is terrible, because him deciding he's just not passing the turn and then falling asleep is beyond awesome.
Which is par the course, Sans being goddamn awesome in general.
YOU-WOULD-BE-DEAD and YOU'RE GONNA HAVE A BAD TIME are just fantastic line delivers, which is impressive considering he's doesn't actually have a voice.
Undertale's usage of fonts as storytelling information is awesome.
Yeah, I ran into that problem on Hog Wild. Some bosses/attacks seem easier with a keyboard and others with a gamepad. I feel like Undyne's arrow onslaughts are easier with a d-pad but for other attacks I had more luck with arrow keys.

I died to the Undying so many times but she may be my favorite boss in the game. She really shows the height that Undertale's battles can reach.

I hate the basic mechanic in general, but there's no lying about how masterful the design of the bossfights is. Blue \ Green \ Violet \ Yellow souls are a damn good idea - Yellow, especially. I straight up shot up laughing at that animation.

I really don't understand the combat system in this game. Is the 'Act' option just for comedy effect?

Also, apologies for going all master race on everyone's ass, but any idea why I see lots of tearing? Is 2D stuff not v-synced? It's really annoying.

L95

I really don't understand the combat system in this game. Is the 'Act' option just for comedy effect?

Also, apologies for going all master race on everyone's ass, but any idea why I see lots of tearing? Is 2D stuff not v-synced? It's really annoying.

Act is how you (generally) resolve battles without fighting by convincing the enemy to chill.

Are you playing in full screen? There must be something going on with your display/adaper settings.
A game being 2D or 3D is not reason for tearing by itself btw.

From the videos I saw,
- Fight is the violent root
- Act is the pacifist root, you can convince the enemies to be friends.

Weird, never noticed any tearing

Act is very similar to negotiating in SMT. You want to say the right things in order to get monsters on your side.

kurona_bright

Neo Member
for anybody doing badtime runs:

apparently there's some pretty unique dialogue
when you kill one of the Royal Guards and start whispering to the survivor. I don't know what it is, and my god I simultaneously don't want to and want to know it says.

On another note, the tarot card for The Fool was finished...? No spoilers here, but the general undertale tag for that tumblr is full of massive spoilers.

Jacksepticeye started a Let's Play of it which is neat.

A lot of people are starting to pick this up. I really like seeing it gain more and more popularity among bigger Let's Players.

Really wanna see Markiplier play it.

L95

What do I do with this mystery key I bought from Bratty and Catty?

It's for
Napstablook's neighbor
's house.

(Well, I know whose house it is specifically, but I figure if you don't know, you wanna find out for yourself, so I made the spoiler vague?)

Tagyhag

Jacksepticeye started a Let's Play of it which is neat.

A lot of people are starting to pick this up. I really like seeing it gain more and more popularity among bigger Let's Players.

Really wanna see Markiplier play it.

While I'm not a big fan of popular let's players, (Jack's a nice guy tho) Markiplier would do the game justice.

welll.....

im two and a half hours into the game, got up to undyne on top of the mountain, have 27 kills, and read somewhere that to get the true ending you have to be pacifist.

fffffffff
Just play like you would normally. This game really makes you question your own actions a lot.
nope. I don't have the time for more than one playthrough and I want the real ending. I hope it's worth it.

Thud

welll.....

im two and a half hours into the game, got up to undyne on top of the mountain, have 27 kills, and read somewhere that to get the true ending you have to be pacifist.

fffffffff

Just play like you would normally. This game really makes you question your own actions a lot.

Puruzi

Banned
Man I would so love to watch Markiplier play this. I hate almost all loud let's players, but somehow, I LOVE watching him play games

Fou-Lu

I love this game, Asgore destroying the mercy button is soooo good. He is kicking my ass though! And the music! So good.

El Odio

Banned
Pacifist and general ending spoilers.
Jesus that fight against Asgore. I could go on and on about how perfect the music was and that call back to Toriel's theme in it... Gah. Anyway as soon as the fight started and he destroyed the mercy option I wanted to believe that there was still a way to end the fight peacefully because I didn't want to kill him not just for the pacifist run but because I genuinely didn't want to with how it was all set up. I spent a good 15minutes using the attack option but doing nothing with hopes that would end it only to realize there truly was no other way.

Flowey's antics afterwards gave me some serious mood whiplash from first being absolutely ready to kill him to being absolutely terrified of... whatever you want to call that. I had actually thought the game legitimately crashed once he got the souls since it had crashed on me about three times during my go through but of course its just more of his bullshit shenanigans.

Being completely honest though I kind of got bummed out at the end of the fight when it pretty much pulled from the Earthbound ending with the whole "Go ahead and call out, no one can here you" song and dance. It doesn't bring the game down for me in anyway but I'm kind of disappointed it went with such a typical route for that sort of thing.

The post credits ending with everyone still working hard to keep hope alive despite the setbacks was pretty inspiring and I'm more than up for getting back into this after a short break and going for the endings.

dickroach

Pacifist and general ending spoilers.
Jesus that fight against Asgore. I could go on and on about how perfect the music was and that call back to Toriel's theme in it... Gah. Anyway as soon as the fight started and he destroyed the mercy option I wanted to believe that there was still a way to end the fight peacefully because I didn't want to kill him not just for the pacifist run but because I genuinely didn't want to with how it was all set up. I spent a good 15minutes using the attack option but doing nothing with hopes that would end it only to realize there truly was no other way.

Flowey's antics afterwards gave me some serious mood whiplash from first being absolutely ready to kill him to being absolutely terrified of... whatever you want to call that. I had actually thought the game legitimately crashed once he got the souls since it had crashed on me about three times during my go through but of course its just more of his bullshit shenanigans.

Being completely honest though I kind of got bummed out at the end of the fight when it pretty much pulled from the Earthbound ending with the whole "Go ahead and call out, no one can here you" song and dance. It doesn't bring the game down for me in anyway but I'm kind of disappointed it went with such a typical route for that sort of thing.

The post credits ending with everyone still working hard to keep hope alive despite the setbacks was pretty inspiring and I'm more than up for getting back into this after a short break and going for the endings.

definitely go back and get the true pacifist ending. it'll make you totally forget about that ending.

Ilvocare

Hey there.

I've been playing the game for a while now. I just finished
all three general types of runs
and I figured that was enough to actually look at discussion about the game.

I'd give it a 9.5.

Would have just been a 9 before
the genocide run
, but I figured that a game that can make me
physically vomit from perceived murderer's guilt
, and which beforehand
became one of the few games to make me cry multiple times, either through pure fear or sadness
deserves a little better.

After genociding, my next step is to re-engage genocide. If there's one thing I've learned it's that I don't know when to stop.

Ever.

Fou-Lu

True pacifist complete,
That final battle was absolutely perfect. I love this game way more than I expected to and it really is probably the closest things to the Mother series I have ever played as far as emotional attachment

Top Bottom