• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Undertale |OT| Indie RPG with determination and spider bake sales

Fat4all

Banned
It sounds like the beginning of Take on Me. :p

tumblr_mvlru3n03y1scd4jmo1_500.gif

Hmm? Was there an early access? Surprising people were finding this stuff that quickly then.
Yeah, unfortunately despite being asked not to with an image in the files, that particular character was known about within the first week due to datamining. Although after researching them over the past month I'm not actually sure if finding them that way was intended or not.

Postgame Mystery Spoilers, All Run Spoilers
How to actually get Gaster, Redacted (assuming they're connected, despite the wingdings font it's just a sprite blob connected to an entirely unused event and is just a stretched version of parts of Muffet's battle sprite), or his various grey NPCs to show up is a mystery. I had heard a week or two ago that Fun becomes modified naturally after killing Sans in a Hog Wild run but I never actually looked into if this was a hoax or not myself. That would make sense from a narrative standpoint as Sans' laser attack is called a Gaster Blaster, and considering both are skeletons they're probably related and Gaster would probably try to come back for revenge or whatever. But for such a character who seems to be based upon games' unused content and creepypastas, I don't feel that that really fits?
My theory is that Gaster is supposed to be found this way. Recently, in the Korean demo (which has significantly more of an earlier version left inside it than the English version), someone found out that it was a character named Grandpa Semi that was supposed to give you the pizza call on your phone instead of Alphys. More digging into the files of that demo revealed a grandpasemi.ogg that was the first notes of Metal Crusher, Mettaton's first battle theme. A friend and I got talking about this and thought, hey, maybe Gaster was inspired by this character's removal?
Semi is obviously short for Semi Serif, a font, so he was probably a skeleton and probably Sans and Papyrus' grandfather. With the only remnants of him left being another version of a call from the scientist in the final game and parts of said scientist's robot's theme as his theme, it's only natural to suspect that at this point in development, he was the royal scientist. For whatever reason, he was replaced with Alphys.
Now, can you see what I'm getting at? Gaster is a character based on cut content from games, literally. In the current build, he fills the exact same role that Semi filled during development: a skeleton relative and scientist removed from the world and replaced by Alphys. I can easily see this being a way to turn another normal part of games into a character or statement, except instead of being a statement on EXP or LV, it deals with how the characters and world itself react to something just going unused. They know that a previous scientist built the core, but don't remember his name. The grey NPCs are the only ones who call him by name and know what happened to him: that he fell into the core and shattered across time and space. The only "normal" people who seem to remember him are the ferry owner ("Beware the man who speaks in hands") and the mysterious caller who has the wrong number ("Hello, I'm looking for G..."), and for all we know are both grey npcs as we never actually see what they look like. The only time someone would even see a grey NPC in the first place would be if their Fun stat changed, and the triggers for that honestly seem to be random and unexpected. He leaks back into the game, but never for long. I expect a future patch to add a lot more to his story.
Outside of his real-world origins, there's also the matter of how he'll fit into the plot. I believe Sans knows about him, and may have even worked for him as an assistant. We know from Entry 17, Gaster's spooky entry that isn't in the True Lab but rather prints across a black void in wingdings, that he spoke to two people ("What do you two think?"). We know one is probably Alphys, as she probably was picked because she was next in line, but the other? Sans has an interest in quantum physics, Alphys mentions knowing him in one of the dialogues after defeating Asriel, he mentions being able to monitor timelines, he teleports around, and he has a big, mysterious machine in his house. He clearly has some sort of scientific background. Not to mention that in the fight against him, his eye flashes between two colors and isn't just blue. Blue usually means no movement or the color a skeleton turns your soul while fighting you, but his eye also turns yellow. The only time your soul turns yellow is when you're fighting against Mettaton and Alphys, who are definitely both science-related. Finally, Sans can have two pictures in his secret lab. One is if you do not stay with Toriel in the pacifist ending, but the other is always there and has features you (whether this means Chara or Frisk is up in the air), Sans, and "people you don't recognize". I believe this photo is actually from an "early timeline" (aka early phase of development) when Semi/Gaster still existed. Sans probably managed to take this picture from that timeline using his machine and seeing it allows him to have his ability to remember things from past timelines. So whenever Gaster is officially revealed (assuming that hiding him like this wasn't the intended method to do so), Sans will probably be heavily involved in the plot.
Honestly though, considering the goofy natures of the two remaining skeletons? I would not be surprised in the slightest if you get him back in this theoretical future story patch and he just goes, "Man, I thought I was boned." and nothing is ever explained, the grey NPCs disappear, and he just hangs out in Snowdin giving out bad puns in a font you can't read. It would be fitting for this game, especially after that True Lab bed scene.

Well, that went on for a bit longer than I intended. Just goes to show how good this game is, great characters, great story, and a Fun, indecipherable puzzle for those like me who love to pry into the code and development process.

El Odio

Banned
I plan on finding time either tonight or tomorrow to start my genocide run but before I do I've hear that in order to get the true ending you need to do a neutral run followed by a pacifist one. Is that correct?

Hinchy

I plan on finding time either tonight or tomorrow to start my genocide run but before I do I've hear that in order to get the true ending you need to do a neutral run followed by a pacifist one. Is that correct?

I did a pacifist run as my very first playthrough and saw both endings. The game makes you complete the neutral ending before being able to reload your save and do the last bit of pacifist-exclusive content.

Thud

I wouldn't recommend genocide if you haven't done neutral and pacifist. Especially against
Undyne
and
Sans
. You need to know how to deal with most attack patterns and you need to die a lot to accomplish that.

I was one move away to freedom :(

El Odio

Banned
I did a pacifist run as my very first playthrough and saw both endings. The game makes you complete the neutral ending before being able to reload your save and do the last bit of pacifist-exclusive content.
Last time I played I completed my first run which was pacifist an got the ending where
you fight mutant flowy and then everyone is trying to keep hope alive and find a way to get through the barrier without souls.
Given that I haven't touched the game since those that set me up for that scenario to get the actual pacifist ending?
I wouldn't recommend genocide if you haven't done neutral and pacifist. Especially against
Undyne
and
Sans
. You need to know how to deal with most attack patterns and you need to die a lot to accomplish that.

I was one move away to freedom :(
I did a pacifist run for my first go, u might not be "ready" for a genocide run but 8 want to get it out of the way before I grow too attached to the characters.

GSR

Last time I played I completed my first run which was pacifist an got the ending where
you fight mutant flowy and then everyone is trying to keep hope alive and find a way to get through the barrier without souls.
Given that I haven't touched the game since those that set me up for that scenario to get the actual pacifist ending?

At the very end, did
Flowey tell you to go make friends with certain characters (assuming you spared him?)
If so,
just reload your save and go find those characters to continue to the pacifist ending

Dr. Buni

Damn, that fight against
Undyne
was powerful. I
killed her, but the game sure made me feel like garbage for doing so.

"His Theme"?
Yes! Oh, I see. Bandcamp only shows 77 of 101 tracks when free streaming.

Another question. I know what happens if
you name your character Frisk
, but what happens when
you learn who Frisk is while you are named Frisk
? (Spoilers past True Ending)

DNAbro

Yes! Oh, I see. Bandcamp only shows 77 of 101 tracks when free streaming.

Another question. I know what happens if
you name your character Frisk
, but what happens when
you learn who Frisk is while you are named Frisk
? (Spoilers past True Ending)

If you name your character Frisk it activates hard mode, which stops after the Toriel fight and you can't continue.

El Odio

Banned
At the very end, did
Flowey tell you to go make friends with certain characters (assuming you spared him?)
If so,
just reload your save and go find those characters to continue to the pacifist ending
Yup, booted the game back up and made friends with Alphys as indicated. Not sure how much is left beyond the elevator shafts but the true lab was one of the most unsettling places I've ever been in a game.

g23

European pre-madonna
Do i need a mouse to play this game? I'm in the middle of nowhere at a hotel with just my laptop no mouse and bored as f**k,

Finished the game today, Neutral Ending, really liked it!
Wow at the ending and wow at the amount of secrets this game has!

I'd LOVE to read Yoko Taro's reactions to the game. I can imagine him really enjoying it.

Eh, why not? Apparently he says he wants a translation? I understand that his game is a little bit like Undertale because its
weird and meta, maybe with commentary on previous playthroughs bleeding into later ones, with multiple eending
, right? So why wouldn't he?

Yasumi

Banned
Eh, why not? Apparently he says he wants a translation? I understand that his game is a little bit like Undertale because its
weird and meta, maybe with commentary on previous playthroughs bleeding into later ones, with multiple eending
, right? So why wouldn't he?
Look again, I said he likely WOULD enjoy it.

Lelcar

Finished the game today, Neutral Ending, really liked it!
Wow at the ending and wow at the amount of secrets this game has!

Nice. I finished it yesterday and I am really impressed with it. I actually managed to avoid any spoilers and memes for this game and was consistently surprised. The rules of this universe are constantly changing, or rather, not so obvious, so I never knew what was coming.
They really got me when the game hard crashes and the whole Flowey save files bit. I was flabbergasted when that was happening.

Nzyme32

I adore Undertale. It has been so amazing playing the game.
I loved being continually surprised at all that is there, and the amount of endings and combinations and effects you cause

I really love that they is still a lot of mystery in the game and unanswered questions all hidden away. I would be happy to see some kind of expansion, update or new game that unravels all these things to make sense.

I also really like how the Steam version makes some of the more permanent changes to the game very difficult to work around / reverse, since the cloud saving / cache happen when the game starts up.

Markiplier started his Undertale playthrough

As someone who watches a lot of Markiplier and is used to him fucking up left and right and not understanding anything he sure is catching on faster than a lot of other people I've watched did.

In his 2nd battle with 2 Froggits he realized he had to act to satisfy the conditions to spare monsters.

He also thinks Toriel is a scottish dude so...y'know...one step forward two steps back...

Edit: Apparently the whole Underground is just transposed UK.

Mistle

Just finished the True Ending. Any good sites/videos for further reading that really go in depth and analyse the game? Or perhaps a good run down of secret bits and pieces I may have missed?

Just finished the True Ending. Any good sites/videos for further reading that really go in depth and analyse the game? Or perhaps a good run down of secret bits and pieces I may have missed?

The Steam page has a few discussions and articles about the lore and such. But this thread is loaded with discussion, too!

I imagine there are videos out there. I know I'd make a ton of em if I gave myself the energy to do it.

Granjinha

I just can't stop listening to the soundtrack. Finished the game on the launch week and i've been giving some of the tracks a listen every day since then.

It's just incredible.

DNAbro

I just can't stop listening to the soundtrack. Finished the game on the launch week and i've been giving some of the tracks a listen every day since then.

It's just incredible.

Same

I also started listening to Toby's Homestuck music and realized he has been making amazing music for awhile.

El Odio

Banned
True Pacifist Ending Spoilers:
Sweet Jesus where to begin. Like I said before the true lab was an incredibly uneasy experience and I was surprised that it ended without any real mindfuck since I was expecting some type of enemy worse than Omega Flowey or the prior enemies to show up once the elevator was activated.

In terms of the Ashore encounter I was expecting the bit where everyone shows up to act as the new ending until Papyrus dropped the wham line of "A little flower told me."

The way all the fourth wall breaking got incorporated into the story as Asriel/Flowey's motivation was actually really genius in my opinion and the way the final battle was handled was superb. I could definitely feel the Mother series influence in it and it was done a lot better than in the neutral route encounter where it was basically a copy paste type deal.

I do kind of wish though that in the ending credits when they showed everyone living on the surface they somehow incorporated some humans in the scenes so it didn't feel like monsters and humans both lived on the surface now but were basically segregated.

The ending in whole though easily gave this game the extra push it needed to knock down Woolly World for the spot of my GOTY so far. As hyped as I am for it I don't think X, the only other game I plan on buying this year, will be able to overtake it.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I just realized...

True Pacifist Run Spoiler:

Omege Flowey is a merging of the SOULS, the Determination Extraction Machine and the TV in the True Lab.

lazygecko

I did a playthrough where I didn't kill anyone, with the sole exception of Papyrus. Somehow that made me feel much worse than when I just indiscriminately killed everyone. I'm not sure if the game is loaded with enough variables to recognize that very specific playstyle, but it sure felt like it.

Jintor

I did a playthrough where I didn't kill anyone, with the sole exception of Papyrus. Somehow that made me feel much worse than when I just indiscriminately killed everyone. I'm not sure if the game is loaded with enough variables to recognize that very specific playstyle, but it sure felt like it.

oh it asbsolutely is

YOU DIRTY BROTHER KILLER

So I've heard that apparently Taro Yoko wants a Japanese localization of Undertale. Yes, that Taro Yoko. Which wouldn't really be surprising if true.

Edit: Source!

Toby's actually said he's been working on a Japanese localization since release, though I'm not sure who's handling it. So he'll get his wish, lol. It seems like it'll be really hard to translate, though. The dialog has so many niches in order to achieve full effect. I've been watching a few Japanese-subbed LPs of the game, and while they do a good job, it still feels like there's a decent amount that gets lost in translation (like, what's the equivalent of Temmie's 14-year-old message board speak?). So I wonder how the official version will end up handling those.

Still, it's really cool that it's garnered some interest over there, but I suppose it makes sense considering the game's influences. I've seen a lot of Japanese fanart of
Mettaton EX
in particular, lol. Will be cool to see how/if it spreads even further once a localized version is out.

Dunkley

Extreme True Pacifist Run Spoilers:

"* You hug the Lost Soul and tell her you will see her again" just gets more and more emotional each time I play or watch someone play through that part.

"* You hug the Lost Soul and tell her you will see her again" just gets more and more emotional each time I play or watch someone play through that part.

I always tear up at "But it refused." I thought of that part yesterday and started feeling emotional. I'm feeling emotional right now.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.

Wait, what's a 'extreme' true pacifist run?

Top Bottom