• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Undertale |OT| Indie RPG with determination and spider bake sales

LiK

I finally watched HarshlyCritical's LP last night and his voices for the characters are great. LP is still incomplete but worth checking out. Lots of fun and he plays the game like me, lol

PSqueak

Banned
[Spoiled stuff]

Okay, all runs around spoiler stuff...

"Sam" (or rather "Chara", the canon name") tried to kill themselves as a ploy to get asriel to absob their soul, once fused they'd have the power to cross the barrier and kill the people on Chara's village, but Asriel chickened out and used his influence to not kill anybody and turned into the flower that Alphys eventually would experiment on.

There is no stated reason why Chara was so hateful, the meta reason is that Chara represents your player instinct to kill all enemies and your curiocity to see all the endings, story wise people theorize that chara had an abusive childhood before going up Mt. Ebott. Aditionally some people think Chara is based on the little girl from the documentary "Child of Rage".

Asgore technically was advertised by everyone in the game as a pushover, so there is that, while Asriel (and Flowey) is more like an interactive cinematic, very similar to Claus in M3. Coincidentally, Mettaton and Muffet being such hard battles is funny given that they're the only legit evil characters you can fight.

mbpm1

Asgore technically was advertised by everyone in the game as a pushover, so there is that, while Asriel (and Flowey) is more like an interactive cinematic, very similar to Claus in M3. Coincidentally, Mettaton and Muffet being such hard battles is funny given that they're the only legit evil characters you can fight.

They aren't evil though.

PSqueak

Banned
They aren't evil though.

I dunno man, Mettaton's neutral endings
(specially the one with Papyrus alive)
sounds like he's pretty dam evil
Brainwashing people, not addressing the kingdom's problems, turning the whole place into his playground, killing anybody who disagrees with him
, it's hard to see him as a good guy.

And then there is Muffet's
Genocide speech, where she says she doesn't care about you killing everyone (just stay away from spiders) and how she'd have killed Alphys and made her donuts if given the chance
, she doesn't sound like a good person either.

Dimmle

Re: beautiful boy

Alphys or Asgore are both ostensibly more harmful than Mettaton notwithstanding the punishments of unsubstantiated nature he doles out in his neutral epilogue.

Re: beautiful boy

Alphys or Asgore are both ostensibly more harmful than Mettaton notwithstanding the punishments of unsubstantiated nature he doles out in his neutral epilogue.
Yeah but
the things they do are due to misguided goodwill / cowardice / grief. They don't want to aaaaaactually harm others, they just try to justify said harming via some twisted morals mixed with guilt while Mettaton just acts like everything is just a show for him, he's basically a sociopath if you can even call a robot that lol

ghibli99

Finished my first playthrough last night. And then I saw the Fangamer preorder email in my inbox. It was like it was meant to be. It will take a lot of determination to not buy everything.

Dimmle

Yeah but
the things they do are due to misguided goodwill / cowardice / grief. They don't want to aaaaaactually harm others, they just try to justify said harming via some twisted morals mixed with guilt while Mettaton just acts like everything is just a show for him, he's basically a sociopath if you can even call a robot that lol
Mettaton (a sad ghost) is just as misguided as the others and he never actually harms anyone. It's all an act. He even exposes Alphys's cowardice. He also sacrifices himself to stop you on Hog Wild. I don't see "evil" there.

MrBadger

Man, this game is so bizarre.

«oh... a classic spoketune... they don't make songs like this anymore...»

The best part about spooktune is
if you leave it playing after leaving the house, the enemies you encounter are too spooked to fight you

Mettaton may be the most directly selfish without cause, but I still wish he had a little more of a role in the game's final events (at least on Pacifist). I felt he deserved a place among the main 6, but oh well. He's the sort of lightweight lovably/affably evil leaning on neutral kind of character that manages to remain very endearing even if they'd probably mess everything up without their more moral friends reigning them in. Muffet by comparison is kind of a queen of her own people and is about on par with Asgore in motivation, if not execution.

On the subject of Mettaton, is there anything more to his backstory besides him originally being a ghost related to Napstablook ("Blooky") and then getting Alphys to make him a body? It also seemed Alphys had a mixture of feelings for Asgore, Mettaton and Undyne?

Any theories/info on why sans is so powerful and is able to teleport and is aware of saving/time travel. Was disappointed when his room was a red herring.

Oh yeah, any speculation on whether Toriel was saying Asgore could have opened the barrier by slipping through with one soul, killing six humans, and returning, or would it have also worked peacefully by convincing people to help? Not sure I got that part.

Edit:

Finished my first playthrough last night. And then I saw the Fangamer preorder email in my inbox. It was like it was meant to be. It will take a lot of determination to not buy everything.

(Almost) same. I saw the Fangamer stuff from this thread and not an email, but I also beat the game last night roughly around the same time they announced the stuff.

Dimmle

Mettaton may be the most directly selfish without cause, but I still wish he had a little more of a role in the game's final events (at least on Pacifist). I felt he deserved a place among the main 6, but oh well. He's the sort of lightweight lovably/affably evil leaning on neutral kind of character that manages to remain very endearing even if they'd probably mess everything up without their more moral friends reigning them in. Muffet by comparison is kind of a queen of her own people and is about on par with Asgore in motivation, if not execution.

On the subject of Mettaton, is there anything more to his backstory besides him originally being a ghost related to Napstablook ("Blooky") and then getting Alphys to make him a body? It also seemed Alphys had a mixture of feelings for Asgore, Mettaton and Undyne?

Any theories/info on why sans is so powerful and is able to teleport and is aware of saving/time travel. Was disappointed when his room was a red herring.

Oh yeah, any speculation on whether Toriel was saying Asgore could have opened the barrier by slipping through with one soul, killing six humans, and returning, or would it have also worked peacefully by convincing people to help? Not sure I got that part.

Re: Sans

You got dunked. Search his room a little more.

From my understanding, I think what
Toriel wanted Asgore to do was to get the human souls by just having humans on their deathbeds agree to help once they passed away, thus solving everything peacefully without having to murder anyone

Dunkley

All Runs:
You mean Sans' room or his lab? Because what we know is that he talks in plural about observing multiple timelines and anomalies. A widespread theory is that he due to the quantum physics book he must have been a scientist of some sort and is at least able to observe the timelines in some form, which leads to the fact that he would have killed you where you stand if it hadn't been to Toriel for suspecting you being the cause for the anomalies.

Toriel was straight up talking about just killing six people and coming back. While she is a nice person, she also knew Asgore spread some B.S. to the Monsters and lied to them, since he could have done it all along instead of letting humans run to him. I don't think there's a peaceful way of a human giving up their SOUL for them, considering Chara needed to kill himself to be absorbed into Asriel just so he could cross the barrier.

Dimmle

Toriel wanted Asgore to do was to get the human souls by just having humans on their deathbeds agree to help once they passed away, thus solving everything peacefully without having to murder anyone
Yeah, I had a problem with this exchange. I'm not sure if Toriel's reasoning is terribly clear but that's one interpretation.

DNAbro

Edit:

(Almost) same. I saw the Fangamer stuff from this thread and not an email, but I also beat the game last night roughly around the same time they announced the stuff.

Sans
Did you find his secret room? It's barely anything but it seems like he has more secrets than the game even lets on. I think Gaster has something to do with it but that stuff hasn't been or may never be fully explained.

I assumed she could have meant something like that but to me it was more of
her just being angry with him with his lack of conviction for what he was doing. Asgore wanted to keep his hands as clean as possible during this when he could have just ended it at anytime. Asgore obviously didn't want to kill people so he just waited and hoped he would never had to, letting everyone just suffer. I would assume Toriel would have wanted Asgore to say no to killing people or just have gone ahead and done it instead of this half measure of waiting and hoping he wouldn't have to do it.

I know I am LTTP, but I bought my copy to play for Halloween.
I am glad I watched the end of the Genocide run, now I know not to touch that with a 10 foot pole.

Toriel was straight up talking about just killing six people and coming back. While she is a nice person, she also knew Asgore spread some B.S. to the Monsters and lied to them, since he could have done it all along instead of letting humans run to him. I don't think there's a peaceful way of a human giving up their SOUL for them, considering Chara needed to kill himself to be absorbed into Asriel just so he could cross the barrier.
I don't buy this. Why would
Toriel care about the well being of humans leaving the ruins if she was ok with straight up killing them outside? Hell, she even asks Sans to protect any humans that came to the underground.

The dialogue in that part is definitely weird but I don't see that being the case at all. It just clashes hard with the character.

PSqueak

Banned

Alphys stuff:

Alphys was extremely lonely and suicidal, it's implied that her "crushes" on Asgore and Mettaton were due to the fact that those where people who started paying attention to her (Asgore because he wanted a scientist, MTT cause they needed a body) but after fucking up the experiment and MTT becoming famous, she became even more depressed, Undyne befriended her when she was trying to kill herself (Undyne however didn't realize Alphys was trying to killherself) and they really had a connection, hence why ultimately Undyne was her true love.

Toriel care about the well being of humans leaving the ruins if she was ok with straight up killing them outside? Hell, she even asks Sans to protect any humans that came to the underground.

The dialogue in that part is definitely weird but I don't see that being the case at all. It just clashes hard with the character.

Because she didn't mean it literally,
What she was saying is not that Asgore should have done that, but that if he really was 100% set on doing it, instead of pussying out waiting for humans he could have gone to the human world, but Asgore never actually intended to do it, he was caught up on his lie, and as a consequence the entire kingdom expected him to, they lived in dispair and the only hope they had was Asgore doing it, while Asgore just locked himself away praying that no more humans would come his way, Toriel was calling out this behavior.

Capra

A lot of people think Sans was working alongside Dr. WD (Wing Ding) Gaster, the royal scientist before Alphys, due to certain lines during his No Mercy fight. Gaster is only alluded to by random NPC encounters triggered by changing a value in the ini file in the game saves directory, and from what we can gather he had an accident where he fell into one of his creations - probably The Core - and was scattered all throughout the code of the game... or something.

One theory I really like is that Sans and Papyrus were actually created from pieces of Gaster after his accident. Sans remembers their past while Papyrus doesn't, and his power comes from his tie to Gaster (one of his moves is actually called the Gaster Blaster in the game files). After messing around with the ini file to experiment and manipulating the room value to teleport to different events, my fanon is that that's exactly what Sans is doing when he teleports. Having limited access to those values also allows him to check the player's EXP and LV values so he can judge them just before the end.

xezuru

Potential ALL RUNs heavy character spoilers:

I believe the current theory is more broadly talking about all of the skeleton family in general.

Sans, as mentioned, he instances in rooms he has of scientific background, this coming from the physics books, his machines in fights, his teleportation ability, and I believe there's an implication that Alphys knows Sans from that background.

When it comes to the skeletons, people also believe the secret character W. D. Gaster, was a third skeleton, this comes from the hints that he speaks in windings another fond, and was the former royal scientist, which is interesting because San's blaster is called the "gasterblaster". Meaning they could've been peers / working together in these endeavors before the gaster incident happened and is probably when Sans lost hope even though he probably lost his memories anyways. If true the skeleton's history with science minus Papyrus is interesting because I believe there's a comment somewhere in the world that the Skeletons were not original a part of the underground, and merely appeared, I think I'm thinking of something more general and not just the Snowdin comment.

I think the idea was not that she thought that was a good plan, but that it was something Asgore COULD have done if he really wanted to free everyone.

It was less a suggestion and more her calling him out on being a coward. (i.e. "You say you just want what's best for your people, but you just sit and meekly hope another human shows up so everybody keeps on believing that freedom is right around the corner, while you don't have to kill anyone.")

Because she didn't mean it literally,
What she was saying is not that Asgore should have done that, but that if he really was 100% set on doing it, instead of pussying out waiting for humans he could have gone to the human world, but Asgore never actually intended to do it, he was caught up on his lie, and as a consequence the entire kingdom expected him to, they lived in dispair and the only hope they had was Asgore doing it, while Asgore just locked himself away praying that no more humans would come his way, Toriel was calling out this behavior.
Oh, so basically
Toriel still didn't approve of the killing of humans, but if Asgore was set on doing that anyways he could have just ended it swiftly without giving monsters a somewhat false hope of ever going back into the surface?
Did I get that right?

That makes more sense

mbpm1

There were definitely other ways too.
He could have crossed the barrier at any time and picked up dying souls, etc.

Oh, so basically
Toriel still didn't approve of the killing of humans, but if Asgore was set on doing that anyways he could have just ended it swiftly without giving monsters a somewhat false hope of ever going back into the surface?
Did I get that right?

That makes more sense

That's the idea.

I still would like to sit down and have tea with the big guy. Asgore got caught up in something he clearly wasn't ready for. After all, Toriel WAS the brains behind the throne.

Makes me happy he apparently found a nice niche for himself as a school groundskeeper. He needs to distance himself from that whole affair; get his head back on straight.

Top Bottom