• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Undertale |OT| Indie RPG with determination and spider bake sales

Saikyo

69 pages and there are still people discovering this game, amazing.

I am here just reading and waiting for a patch with new content...work harder you dog : (

Fou-Lu

I wanted to give the Earthbound Halloween Hack a try after playing Undertale, but it just feels like an exercise in frustration.

Alex

I just finished it on the true pacifist route.
That was one of the sweetest games I've ever played. It did a great job making the story feel like it was designed for that route even when it was designed for multiple. I was really impressed with how it handled the True Lab. It would normally be a horror setting, but since you're on the true pacifist route to even be there in the first place, you already know that there's nothing really to be scared of, and it played to that with the shower curtain and the bed apparition. The ending was so satisfying that I'm not even sure I want to see the bad endings. I liked the game way more when it was being sweet and sincere than when it was being unpleasant anyway.

I'm not sure this is really spoiler-worthy, but I guess it doesn't hurt either way:

Genocide is exceedingly different and unsettling by the standards of anything presented in Pacifist, but at the same time a full completion run of the game is pretty important to the overall picture.

It's up to you how you wanna play it but as much as I loved Pacifist I do think I appreciate the game a lot more having 100%'d it as much as a sane person can (you'll still wanna google secrets and easter eggs even if you do beat Genocide, a normal human being can't trip all of this stuff)

Teknoman

I am here just reading and waiting for a patch with new content...work harder you dog : (

Which dog?

Why is the soundtrack so damn good. The Core is even better than the last few tracks *_*

Im gonna have to wait till I finish to buy the soundtrack. Each new theme is like eating a cookie that just gets tastier each bite.

Also when you hit the 700 club, you know you've made it.

Saikyo

Which dog?

Annoying_Dog.jpg

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
STOP CRUSHING PEOPLE'S HOPES AND DREAMS

maybe :D

Since Kirito, in all likeness, will likely be stopped 150 times by UU and 200 by Sans, it's just one timeline in 30'000. Knowledge of how it has really gone down and how to prevent it is worth one timeline in 30'000.

Thud

Since Kirito, in all likeness, will likely be stopped 150 times by UU and 200 by Sans, it's just one timeline in 30'000. Knowledge of how it has really gone down and how to prevent it is worth one timeline in 30'000.

I think I'm gonna throw down the towel and steal a savefile or something.

I know I can do it but
surviving sans last attack is so goddamn hard

Dimmle

I think I'm gonna throw down the towel and steal a savefile or something.

I know I can do it but
surviving sans last attack is so goddamn hard

Stealing a save file to complete genocide is an unprecedented new low in evil-doing. Congratulations.

Deft Beck

Stealing a save file to complete genocide is an unprecedented new low in evil-doing. Congratulations.

You don't even have to do that, as there's a save editor floating around.

I don't know how this works with the Steam edition, so I wouldn't touch it, myself.

Stayed up til 5:30AM finishing up Pacifist run. What a game this is :3

Which dog?

Why is the soundtrack so damn good. The Core is even better than the last few tracks *_*

Im gonna have to wait till I finish to buy the soundtrack. Each new theme is like eating a cookie that just gets tastier each bite.

Also when you hit the 700 club, you know you've made it.

"This is the best track I've ever heard"

*gets to new boss battle*

"No wait, this is the best track I've ever heard."

*several areas and battles later*

"HOW can this keep getting BETTER?!"

Thud

It's called acting darling.

You don't even have to do that, as there's a save editor floating around.

I don't know how this works with the Steam edition, so I wouldn't touch it, myself.

I was curious so I tried it myself for a bit. I could bypass it, but I reverted back to my old save. I'll let time decide if I'll continue or reset for an all yellow run.

For now I'm done playing the game. I still like to watch playtroughs, so I'm not done with the game yet. Crazy game.

El Odio

Banned
I convinced my friend to get this a few days ago and he was hooked immediately. Now that he's beat it (neutral and pacifist) he's apparently already gone off and introduced it to his friends and they're already enjoying. This game really is something special.

post-S

I'm interested in this game but idk if I'm going to have time to play it.
How long is it? And if it's long ( longer than 6~8 hours for one playthrough), does its gameplay allow you to easily pick it up after being away for a few weeks/months?

How long is it? And if it's long ( longer than 6~8 hours for one playthrough), does its gameplay allow you to easily pick it up after being away for a few weeks/months?

Game is pretty linear, and it's about 6-8 hours approx.

jonjonaug

It's about 6 hours for one playthrough. The entire game is a straight line and the gameplay is simple and easy to understand, so it's easy to pick back up.

Ilvocare

I didnt saw that the link itself was a spoiler, fixed that.

Reminder that people not on mobile can see url's highlighted in blue even through the black box. Notice what I did in my quote of your post. I changed the text the url displayed entirely. Quote that post if you need to know how.

Got a friend to start playing this and they're already really digging this, which is a pleasant surprise since they're not big on RPG's and don't have much of a connection to Earthbound. Have any of the more mainstream gaming sites picked up on Undertale yet? I reckon with enough of a push it could be a Shovel Knight-style breakout hit since it's super accessible.

Got a friend to start playing this and they're already really digging this, which is a pleasant surprise since they're not big on RPG's and don't have much of a connection to Earthbound. Have any of the more mainstream gaming sites picked up on Undertale yet? I reckon with enough of a push it could be a Shovel Knight-style breakout hit since it's super accessible.

The degree of coverage that Undertale receives feels like the exact representative we needed to demonstrate how poor traditional video game media is. Seriously, the only games that compete with it in terms of review scores are Metal Gear Solid V and The Witcher 3. And as far as new IPs go this year, I think only really Splatoon competes with it in terms of how successful it was.

Feep

Banned
Game was pretty solid. I didn't see what was so special about it for the first hour or two...starts pretty slowly...but it gets progressively better, in my opinion, and I was absolutely loving all the meta stuff at end-game.

However, I did NOT feel like completing the entire game again, so I just sort of YouTube'd the true Pacifist ending and continuation. Awesome stuff. I know a lot of people are going to tell me I was missing out on a lot of cool callbacks and references to the first time I played, and I guess that's true, but hey...I got stuff to do. = D

Awesome soundtrack, battle system, and obviously, Papyrus.

Thanks, Toby!

Edit: God DAMN that
Genocide Sans
fight....

Game was pretty solid. I didn't see what was so special about it for the first hour or two...starts pretty slowly...but it gets progressively better, in my opinion, and I was absolutely loving all the meta stuff at end-game.

Thanks, Toby!
I can agree with that. Things do not pick up until you get to the waterfalls. But yeah it really does tug at you because neutral Asgore. I ran through it twice and that was enough for me.

The degree of coverage that Undertale receives feels like the exact representative we needed to demonstrate how poor traditional video game media is.
It is sad when a gaming blog like Kotaku covers it more than actual game news sites.

I got stuff to do. = D

Danganronpa 3
confirmed.

I find it weird so many people were meh about the first hour or two. Even if it wasn't as good as the end it still hooked me and drew me in. I don't find any part of the game to be weak; I thought the beginning was good too.

Danganronpa 3
confirmed.

I find it weird so many people were meh about the first hour or two. Even if it wasn't as good as the end it still hooked me and drew me in. I don't find any part of the game to be weak; I thought the beginning was good too.
I remember watching a YouTube video where the guy's friend gave up after the first 5 minutes. Was hilarious. But yeah, in this ADHD generation build-up like in Paper Mario tends to get more dislike than in the past. I get the first hour is meant to draw you in, so I was fine. Then you are running away from spears and it gets real.

Okay so this comic is EVERYTHING spoilers but I think it hits an appropriate area that sort of bugged me when people discuss this game. Here's a link since it's LONG and spoilery.

http://orig01.deviantart.net/5693/f/2015/309/d/4/that_s_rough__buddy__undertale_spoilers__by_peachiekeenie-d9fkv13.png

So
I really REALLY like this comic because it always kinda bugged me that people shit on Asgore so much and use the game using him as the heel of jokes to shit on him a bit more. Asgore was in the wrong or at least wavering in his beliefs and does a lot to mess up a lot of things in the game. But I never found myself hating him or making fun of him or NTRing him like all the fanart loves to do.

Basically because he went through some enormously FUCKED UP shit. I'm not gonna say his way was better than Toriel's avoidance but I don't think she has such a high horse to sit on when talking down to him.

Asgore is a fantastic character that people give a tad too much shit too. This comic made me really fucking ache inside.

Edit: Holy shit that might be my favorite Richaad cover so far. Oh my god it is glorious.

Fishlake

I started another pacifist run in my spare time while choosing different options. I like seeing all the new dialog. This was well worth the $10.

Zubz

Banned
I finally got through a run of this game, so I should be safe to hang out here now, right? This game's incredible! I mean, I know some people are overselling it, but if sites like IGN are barely acknowledging it, I can understand why people want to get the word out. Besides, it makes sense people would try to hook new players that way, seeing how its heavily inspired by the Mother games and that's basically what U.S. Mother fans did for almost-literally decades.

Anyway, I have a question about the Run I just did, and my "Attempting to avoid spoilers" approach to answering it just confused me. I did a Pacifist Run, but
I couldn't find Alphys after beating Mettaton, so I couldn't "date" either of them before fighting Flowey. I know that Undyne's supposed to give you a letter to trigger that date in a second playthrough, but do I have to do a second run now? I think I met the other requirements, since I never earned any XP, and befriended Undyne and Papyrus. And I know that Alphys is the key here, since Flowey flat-out said so after I spared him. But he sent me back to the final checkpoint; I don't know if that's so I can go back and fix things, or to let me know that I can't go any further without restarting.

Do I need to start an entirely new run? Or is there a way I can go back,
befriend Alphys somehow
, and get the Pacifist Ending without starting over? Either way, I'm satisfied with the ending I got, but I know it's not the "GOOD" Good Ending; if I have to start over, that's going to bug me. That's not to say that the game's not incredible, though. Because it is. "Best Game of All Time" might be overstating things, but honestly, between how good it is, and how weak this year has been for me, this is my Game of the Year, barring Mario Tennis if it's secretly hiding a finished game underneath that one stadium we've seen so far.

DNAbro

I finally got through a run of this game, so I should be safe to hang out here now, right? This game's incredible! I mean, I know some people are overselling it, but if sites like IGN are barely acknowledging it, I can understand why people want to get the word out. Besides, it makes sense people would try to hook new players that way, seeing how its heavily inspired by the Mother games and that's basically what U.S. Mother fans did for almost-literally decades.

Anyway, I have a question about the Run I just did, and my "Attempting to avoid spoilers" approach to answering it just confused me. I did a Pacifist Run, but
I couldn't find Alphys after beating Mettaton, so I couldn't "date" either of them before fighting Flowey. I know that Undyne's supposed to give you a letter to trigger that date in a second playthrough, but do I have to do a second run now? I think I met the other requirements, since I never earned any XP, and befriended Undyne and Papyrus. And I know that Alphys is the key here, since Flowey flat-out said so after I spared him. But he sent me back to the final checkpoint; I don't know if that's so I can go back and fix things, or to let me know that I can't go any further without restarting.

Do I need to start an entirely new run? Or is there a way I can go back,
befriend Alphys somehow
, and get the Pacifist Ending without starting over? Either way, I'm satisfied with the ending I got, but I know it's not the "GOOD" Good Ending; if I have to start over, that's going to bug me. That's not to say that the game's not incredible, though. Because it is. "Best Game of All Time" might be overstating things, but honestly, between how good it is, and how weak this year has been for me, this is my Game of the Year, barring Mario Tennis if it's secretly hiding a finished game underneath that one stadium we've seen so far.

He should have told you that you can go back to your old save file and befriend Alphys now. Just go back.

Top Bottom