• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Undertale |OT| Indie RPG with determination and spider bake sales

Alex

I finally got through a run of this game, so I should be safe to hang out here now, right? This game's incredible! I mean, I know some people are overselling it, but if sites like IGN are barely acknowledging it, I can understand why people want to get the word out..

That's how most PC games get sold in general: word of mouth, it is very powerful on this platform. You rarely see any coverage from big sites it's largely just streamers and people talkin'. It's how these completely random ass games on Steam get pushed to 500k-1m++ all the time. Won't be surprised if this thing completely bursts into flames at the first sale it's in.

I dunno about best game ever, but if I had a list (I don't) it'd be pretty high up. Undertale is probably, for me, one the first games of this type that not only manages to not feel like some fan clone but genuinely supersedes a lot of what inspired it and I grew up heavily with those games. Feels like something some people needed right now. A game that really gets that old soul retro JRPG kinda gig done up right but also manages to bring modern appeal and more biting, creative aspect so it can actually remain interesting. It has that simple timeless effect that Mother has which is the greatest link between the games, I think.

Also, thank god for brevity. In a time where I am weighed down to the ground with huge games, especially as a perennial RPG/MMO nerd I greatly appreciate that I was able to run a full completion on this game in about 20 total hours. Unless you have a very good game-y RPG I personally appreciate the lack of padding.

Drew a stupid Undertale thing that ended up taking way more time than I anticipated:
bad_opinion_zone_by_green_mamba-d9fo40h.png

"MRW someone online says Mew Mew Kissy Cutie 2 is better than Mew Mew Kissy Cutie 1"

Doing a pacifism run for my first, avoiding spoilers other than reading reviews and seeing "you probably shouldn't kill anyone". I made it to Muffet no problem but with minimal healing items I am struggling greatly against her. Honestly thinking about resetting my game and keeping the Spider Donut from the beginning as I looked for tips against her and saw that.

Doing a pacifism run for my first, avoiding spoilers other than reading reviews and seeing "you probably shouldn't kill anyone". I made it to Muffet no problem but with minimal healing items I am struggling greatly against her. Honestly thinking about resetting my game and keeping the Spider Donut from the beginning as I looked for tips against her and saw that.
She is possible, but bribing her pet is the best way. Hardest boss.

Fat4all

Banned

You could just go back and buy some Bicicles from Snowden, you can still win without the donut. You can farm for money in the Waterfall area if you need dosh.

KevinCow

Banned
I have a question.

I hear that if you do a genocide run and then try to do a pacifist run, something bad will happen. Can anyone tell me what exactly happens? I don't plan on ever doing it myself but I'm really curious.

Thanks for the comments guys.

I have a question.

I hear that if you do a genocide run and then try to do a pacifist run, something bad will happen. Can anyone tell me what exactly happens? I don't plan on ever doing it myself but I'm really curious.
It's highly implied that the original human destroys everything you hold dear. The Pacifist ending plays out normally, but with an important change right at the end. If you chose to stay with Toriel, Frisk is suddenly replaced by the original human when Toriel leaves the room in something of a jump scare. If you said you had places to go the picture in the end of Frisk and all of their friends is changed to a picture of the original human with the same friends but with big ugly red x's over their faces.

mbpm1

She is possible, but bribing her pet is the best way. Hardest boss.

Is it just me that
didn't have problems with Muffet's pet itself? I mostly got tripped up by the parts with a lot of "boomeranging" items that went back and forth or the ones that had those diagonal bouncing things.

Fat4all

Banned
Is it just me that
didn't have problems with Muffet's pet itself? I mostly got tripped up by the parts with a lot of "boomeranging" items that went back and forth or the ones that had those diagonal bouncing things.

Croissants and Donuts.

K.Sabot

Dodger is doing a genocide run oh my god I can't wait to see her reactions I hope she hasn't been spoiled too much

yeah watched the end of the dodger run, always hate when chat spoils the genocide route at the very end
aka they all spam WAIT 10 MINUTES, the game is perfect if you stop playing the game without knowing that too.

This game is so damn sweet.

Is Snowdin supposed to be a reference to Edward Snowden? Especially considering all the surveillance cameras in the area.

Is Snowdin supposed to be a reference to Edward Snowden? Especially considering all the surveillance cameras in the area.
Now you're making me wonder if there are more cameras hidden in the later areas of the game. I know there's one at the entrance of the snowy area, and there's one at the start of the waterwall, but I don't think I've found a hidden camera after that. They are implied to still exist, since Alphys has you on her monitor in her own lab, and Mettaton is on air during his encounters.

Teknoman

I have no words for this...what I think is or was the final boss encounter. That face...

EDIT: So do I have to reset to go for True Pacifist after just beating with a normal pacifist? Or can I just load the save and backtrack to get whatever I need for truth pacifist?

I have no words for this...what I think is or was the final boss encounter. That face...

EDIT: So do I have to reset to go for True Pacifist after just beating with a normal pacifist? Or can I just load the save and backtrack to get whatever I need for truth pacifist?

I think you oughtta go hang out with your friends. I mean, you can't just bail on them without saying "goodbye" first.

Go hang out with anyone you haven't hung out with yet. If you've hung out with everyone, well, just backtrack a bit, you'll see.

]; )

XaosWolf

Man FUCK the Genocide run. Sans is some next level memory test bullshit.

The other paths are absolutely fantastic, but keeping a character they tease about hidden behind such a boss and then taunting you for both doing it and not doing it is on the same level as Spec Ops: The Line. =/

I had a bad time...

Jintor

The other paths are absolutely fantastic, but keeping a character they tease about hidden behind such a boss and then taunting you for both doing it and not doing it is on the same level as Spec Ops: The Line. =/

I had a bad time...

I think it's a lot better on that front than Spec Ops tbh

Also, really, he's difficult for a reason.
He has to be... he has to beat you every time, but you only have to beat him once.

S A V E

MrBadger

I had a bad time...

Hey, if you're not up to the task you can always just watch the ending on Youtube

mOzBlxO.png

I've still not beaten Undyne the Undying

dock

I'd like to play through this some time, but I hated plenty of the demo.

Are there any good walkthroughs to minimise time wasting and frustration?

What is the easiest way through the game?

(edit: please don't reply with shitty references. 'show determination' etc etc)

jonjonaug

The whole game is a straight line, and it gets a lot more interesting after where the demo ends.

Dimmle

Could you describe what you found to be frustrating or a waste of time?

Thulius

Easiest way through the game is to just play it. It's entirely linear and there isn't a whole lot to get stuck on outside of a few of the tougher bosses. Hard to suggest without knowing what your problems with the demo are.

This game is cool and charming, I just don't like how linear it is. Does that change?

Also I am at the piano now. WTF is the "right" way of dealing with that
dog
? XD

This game is cool and charming, I just don't like how linear it is. Does that change?

Also I am at the piano now. WTF is the "right" way of dealing with that
dog
? XD
Not really, game is pretty linear. You got 3 optional things you can do to get the True Ending, but otherwise it seems point A to B. It is a game to be played for story.

dock

Could you describe what you found to be frustrating or a waste of time?

Elements that felt like a waste of time:
- s l o o o o w text boxes. I later learned there's a method to auto-fill these boxes.
- Lots of random battles,
- no text feedback even if I was choosing the correct action,
- bullet hell dodging often felt entirely random. sometimes really hard, sometimes trivial, because movement and position was random rather than any sort of pattern or system.

There seems to be some nice ideas in there but I dread playing it. I ended up playing the demo twice, as I ditched it midway through the first time.

Thulius said:
It's entirely linear and there isn't a whole lot to get stuck on outside of a few of the tougher bosses.
Plenty of people get stuck on this game.
Usually met by the 'oh, but it was easy for me (you suck)'

I'm guessing folks complaining about how linear the game is haven't tried going back to replay bits to see what happens when you kill some things.
The consequences aren't exactly immediately apparent.

Or genocide run. That's... quite different!

I'm guessing folks complaining about how linear the game is haven't tried going back to replay bits to see what happens when you kill some things.
The consequences aren't exactly immediately apparent.

Or genocide run. That's... quite different!

I am ok with the game being linear, I just expected it to be a bit more "traditional" RPG (having a world map, etc.) style. But Undertale is everything but traditional, so I guess that's my fault. Still liking it a lot though.

Saikyo

Its not a rpg for you dock sadly, there are a few skips with items like
eating spider food in Muffet battle or using the stick with some dogs battle
and the boss from Snowdin
give you an option to skip of you lose this battle 3 times
but its not enough.

Thulius

Elements that felt like a waste of time:
- s l o o o o w text boxes. I later learned there's a method to auto-fill these boxes.
- Lots of random battles,
- no text feedback even if I was choosing the correct action,
- bullet hell dodging often felt entirely random. sometimes really hard, sometimes trivial, because movement and position was random rather than any sort of pattern or system.

- Understandable, random battles are really bad in the ruins. They slow down a lot afterwards.
- If you're referring to sparing enemies, there's actually always some kind of feedback. Basically, if dialogue repeats you aren't making progress. If an enemy's name is yellow, they can be spared. Other than that, there are no "correct" choices to worry about.
- Some enemy patterns are randomized, but rarely (if ever?) unavoidable. Even then, it's not like you take one hit and die. Just remember to keep a stock of healing items.

Plenty of people get stuck on this game.
Usually met by the 'oh, but it was easy for me (you suck)'

Like I said, there are some tough bosses, but the spots people get stuck on typically aren't things a walkthrough would help with.

dock

Its not a rpg for you dock sadly, there are a few skips with items like
eating spider food in Muffet battle or using the stick with some dogs battle
and the boss from Snowdin
give you an option to skip of you lose this battle 3 times
but its not enough.

ah. :/ I guess I won't play then. Thanks for letting me know.

shame it relies so heavily on twitchy dodging, that was the main thing stopping me.

Muffet can be tricky,
but trying to be on the center thread as much as possible and only dodging by going up and down makes her regular attacking turns pretty doable.

You could just go back and buy some Bicicles from Snowden, you can still win without the donut. You can farm for money in the Waterfall area if you need dosh.

Bicicles though...
I'm not sure how expensive they are at that point in the game, as they just keep going up in price as you progress.

I really do think the game is slightly past the cusp of being "too hard."

There are scores of friends I want to recommend the game to, but most of them seize up just looking at snowdin dog fights, much less actually having to play them.

Especially if he one day brings the game to console or handheld, I hope he finds a graceful way to let some people just go on sexy skeleton dates without having to cry in despair over never being able to get past a certain point.

dock

I really do think the game is slightly past the cusp of being "too hard."

There are scores of friends I want to recommend the game to, but most of them seize up just looking at snowdin dog fights, much less actually having to play them.

Especially if he one day brings the game to console or handheld, I hope he finds a graceful way to let some people just go on sexy skeleton dates without having to cry in despair over never being able to get past a certain point.
It's a relief to see someone in this thread acknowledge that the game has some sticking points. :)

Top Bottom