• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Undertale |OT| Indie RPG with determination and spider bake sales

CIA

Banned
I hope he finds a graceful way to let some people just go on sexy skeleton dates without having to cry in despair over never being able to get past a certain point.

There are multiple ways Toby has allowed bad players to get through the game via
items that let you skip fights, abundance of healing items in general, and a "chicken hat" that turns on easy mode if you die a lot
. The game is perfectly fine the way it is difficulty wise.

So I've been messing around in class lately and drew Sans and Frisk on the whiteboard.

Enjoyed how it came out.

11221640_10207020172876753_2423966412528581301_n.jpg

12196207_10207029818317883_8770033498912534764_n.jpg

Elements that felt like a waste of time:
- s l o o o o w text boxes. I later learned there's a method to auto-fill these boxes.
- Lots of random battles,
- no text feedback even if I was choosing the correct action,
- bullet hell dodging often felt entirely random. sometimes really hard, sometimes trivial, because movement and position was random rather than any sort of pattern or system.

There seems to be some nice ideas in there but I dread playing it. I ended up playing the demo twice, as I ditched it midway through the first time.

Plenty of people get stuck on this game.
Usually met by the 'oh, but it was easy for me (you suck)'

Don't know if you're still reading, but

-Past the ruins, honestly not a lot of encounters. They also seemed to be at set points on the map, and they go away after completing the area. Save points are usually well-spaced so you can always go back if you're about to die.

-Wouldn't feel too bad for sucking at the battle stuff. I know I did. Played it with a PS3 Analog, switching to the d-pad for certain battles. I felt the bosses end just after "oh shit this is getting bad" You can also get the most affordable and efficient health items in the very first town, though certain health items have other hidden purposes than healing.

dock

There are multiple ways Toby has allowed bad players to get through the game via
items that let you skip fights, abundance of healing items in general, and a "chicken hat" that turns on easy mode if you die a lot
. The game is perfectly fine the way it is difficulty wise.
Is the hat true?

PSqueak

Banned
Is the hat true?

Yeah, for items that let you skip fights:

-If you unequip the stick weapon you start with you can use it as an item that lets you instantly win a fight against every dog enemy including Endogeny (please note, this doesn't count as properly sparing them for the yellow credits)
-If you either keep a spider item from the ruins or buy one before the Muffet fight you win it instantly.
-Using items (changing armors during the fight, the stick, MTT brand products) you can shorten the mettaton fight and win it without blowing up any of his limbs if you reach 12000 rating (fight normally stops until you either kill him or reach 10000 rating after blowing up his arms)

dock

Well, not a hat per say,
a ridiculously expensive piece of equipment in a hidden village that goes down in price every time you die. What wonders a cool leg education can do!
But it's hidden? I assume the next bit is a reference from the game?

Yeah, for items that let you skip fights:

-If you unequip the stick weapon you start with you can use it as an item that lets you instantly win a fight against every dog enemy including Endogeny (please note, this doesn't count as properly sparing them for the yellow credits)
-If you either keep a spider item from the ruins or buy one before the Muffet fight you win it instantly.
-Using items (changing armors during the fight, the stick, MTT brand products) you can shorten the mettaton fight and win it without blowing up any of his limbs if you reach 12000 rating (fight normally stops until you either kill him or reach 10000 rating after blowing up his arms)

Oh shit I didn't even know about that first one.

But it's hidden? I assume the next bit is a reference from the game?

It's hidden, but there are hints at how to get there. And if you backtrack later the path is immediately apparent.

sharc

Neo Member

apparently, the hush puppy food item will also end the
endogeny
fight instantly? which is a relief because i really puzzled over what "cancels dog magic" could possibly do by the time you're able to get one

Dunkley

Hotlands Area Pacifist Run Spoilers:

So to people playing in fullscreen who don't know, the game occasionally changes the window title, this one being by far my favorite:

tumblr_nxetae167S1sjbtwdo1_500.gif

Toby Fox is one silly dog.

Hotlands Area Pacifist Run Spoilers:

So to people playing in fullscreen who don't know, the game occasionally changes the window title, this one being by far my favorite:

tumblr_nxetae167S1sjbtwdo1_500.gif

Toby Fox is one silly dog.

Wow that's fucking crazy. Toby really did think of everything.

But who's gonna play on a screen made for ants tho

Dunkley

Neutral spoilers:
It also flips out and is constantly changing gibberish when Flowey turns into the cactus-tv abomination.

I know that one because I was too scared to play that segment in fullscreen haha, are there any occasions besides Flowey Tale and this where it pops up?

I really do think the game is slightly past the cusp of being "too hard."

There are scores of friends I want to recommend the game to, but most of them seize up just looking at snowdin dog fights, much less actually having to play them.

Especially if he one day brings the game to console or handheld, I hope he finds a graceful way to let some people just go on sexy skeleton dates without having to cry in despair over never being able to get past a certain point.
I, uh, I felt the game really needs that hard mode, actually. Buying health items and new armors gets you through a majority of the game, and I'd actually say it's too easy.

Still, there's always
Temmie armor
for people who think it's difficult, but I guess that is a ways in.

Puruzi

Banned
This game really isn't hard at all

Waiting for that full game hard mode

Edit: This is without me doing genocide, but I only died once against Muffet and some times against
Monster Flowey
I honestly only think i'd have trouble with
sans

Veldin

On the topic of difficulty, I remember
Undyne the Undying
being really hard, but then I went back and looked at the footage I recorded and I only died once. I think it was a case of being caught up in the moment.

Dimmle

ah. :/ I guess I won't play then. Thanks for letting me know.

shame it relies so heavily on twitchy dodging, that was the main thing stopping me.

I think it might be worth your time to play past the Ruins at least. The first area feels like an artifact in comparison to the quality of the rest of the game and I'm honestly surprised Toby didn't feel the need to update it. It's filled with puzzles and encounters that aren't representative of the rest of the game.

Although, you might want to analyze the bullet patterns a bit harder: each enemy has a definite pattern you can exploit. Also, there is text feedback for your actions in battle by way of enemy dialogue.

My friends thought it was difficult as well. I don't play bullet hell games, but besides always having a handful of healing items so that I could get comfortable with new bullet patterns, I thought it was a fair difficulty throughout the game.

I'm going through again without upgrading any gear and it's actually an interesting self imposed challenge.

mbpm1

There were a few tough spots for me, but I thought it was pretty fair too once you get a few healing items. I did have to backtrack to get those healing items at final boss though.

However, i admit I'm speaking from the position of having played hours of old school bullet hell top down games as a kid so in a way it was like coming home.

Dimmle

It's definitely fair if you're used to dealing with the kind of physical demands it's making. I'll agree that it's difficult for some but in no way unfair.

I thought the difficulty was just right on a pacifist run. Bosses felt challenging enough to make me die and feel like I managed to clutch my way through some fights but not enough to feel frustrating.

dickroach

I didn't get one game over till Asgore on my first playthrough (neutral). if you're running pacifist and don't have enough healing items it can definitely get a little bit hard.
Undertale isn't a "hard game" though.
any RPGs that are "hard" are really just stupid grind heavy. obviously this game ain't that.

jrcbandit

People think the game is too hard? That's a new one to me.

I've never played bullet hell type of games before, so it was difficult as a pacifist run for various boss battles (regular battles were always very easy). It's much easier as a neutral run where you've killed a few mobs to raise some levels. Well the armor from TemTem shop makes even the pacifist run very easy.

mbpm1

Neutral run is generally the easiest mode, yeah. A good balance of not being enough of an a-hole to make bosses go super saiyan and not being a puny LV 1

Dimmle

It's all roses until you reach (hog wild (genocide) spoilers:)
Sans
and by that point, you've earned your place in hell.

Dunkley

It's all roses until you reach (hog wild (genocide) spoilers:)
Sans
and by that point, you've earned your place in hell.

I dunnno,
still better than the person that glady watches someone else go there but can't commit to it themselves.

Thud

Neutral run is generally the easiest mode, yeah. A good balance of not being enough of an a-hole to make bosses go super saiyan and not being a puny LV 1

Did a neutral-pacifist on my first run, only a few bosses (
Asgore and Flowey
) are hard. Doesn't come close to some genocide bosses (
Undyne and Sans
)..

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Yeah. I got up to this and just gave up. Not built for this, haha. The music is epic as fuck though.

Get real.
I'm on 110 wipes, 3 times one turn from win, and it's been a real journey. I haven't felt this satisfied with a boss in a long, long time - and as many people in this thread can testify, i royally suck at this game.

mbpm1

Get real.
I'm on 110 wipes, 3 times one turn from win, and it's been a real journey. I haven't felt this satisfied with a boss in a long, long time - and as many people in this thread can testify, i royally suck at this game.
Wow, what killed you/ what mode are you playimg?

Stoze

Beat Genocide today after beating Pacifist a week or two ago. Finally I can read spoilers on here and checkout the wiki to see secret stuff I missed.

Thoughts on some stuff - ALL ENDING SPOILERS:
I looked up the post-genocide pacifist ending, and the changes really only get made to the very last screen of the game. I get that it kinda "spoils" your future paci-runs, but from the reactions on the internet I thought it was going to be something that significantly changes future playthroughs, or makes the game permadeath or something. People talking about backing up saves and clearing app data made it seem like it was really drastic.

Also in both of my playthroughs I wasn't able to really battle with
Muffet. 1st time I used a spider item right off the bat out of curiosity, 2nd time I one-shot her. Guess she'll be a treat for another run someday.

Other thing I know I missed was a secret room/area in
Hotland
, I didn't see it until
backtracking to talk to NPCs in the Pacifist ending. There's an invisible pathway to it and it had cactus guys there.

Anyways good stuff, did not expect the Genocide run to be such a huge deviation from my first playthrough, it's pretty insane. Glad to have played it even though it did make me feel shitty.

Top Bottom