• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Undertale |OT| Indie RPG with determination and spider bake sales

L95

I know that one because I was too scared to play that segment in fullscreen haha, are there any occasions besides Flowey Tale and this where it pops up?

Genocide route spoilers:

I haven't seen this one myself, but apparently it goes blank at the end when Chara appears.

Teknoman

Im going to do a genocide run after true pacifist...but man...its going to feel strange. Especially since you know everyone's true personalities.

Was on my first run through and I was 3 or 4 hours in without killing anyone but my save file was lost when my ssd died a bit ago. Oh well, I'll get back to this eventually. Knowing the basics of the branching I feel like I have to do the same thing again which would be tedious at the moment.

Not sure why my save file wasn't stored in the cloud, it seems like the game supports it :/

Fat4all

Banned
Was on my first run through and I was 3 or 4 hours in without killing anyone but my save file was lost when my ssd died a bit ago. Oh well, I'll get back to this eventually. Knowing the basics of the branching I feel like I have to do the same thing again which would be tedious at the moment.

Not sure why my save file wasn't stored in the cloud, it seems like the game supports it :/

Dude, that sucks about the SSD.

Honestly, it's probably best to wait on the run til you feel it won't be tedious. Just make sure you stay away from spoilers :D

Earthbound is my favorite game of all time, Undertale looks like it's taking a lot of inspiration from it, I plan on getting it soon if it can live up to half of what Earthbound did I'll love this game forever.

Fat4all

Banned
Does anyone have a favorite playthrough of Undertale?

While I was going through Undertale for the first time, I saw that a person I was subbed to on Youtube was going through it was well, and that was Cryaotic.

After finishing I watched his playthrough and was thoroughly charmed.
Especially at some of the way he pronounced names :3

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Wow, what killed you/ what mode are you playimg?
Genocide run:
Undyne the Undying. I should also note that i'm bad enough to have died three times at Toriel, and in the double digits for pacifist Undyne, Muffet and Asgore.

Genocide run:
Undyne the Undying. I should also note that i'm bad enough to have died three times at Toriel, and in the double digits for pacifist Undyne, Muffet and Asgore.

You died to Toriel three times?

Most normal people had to actively try to die to that boss.

Aureon

You died to Toriel three times?

Most normal people had to actively try to die to that boss.

I'm not normal people : (
My reflexes are shit. Like, 300ms shit. I react to stuff in slow-time.
I get through stuff with a combination of crazy prepared and determination.
And attack-order charts.

Guess so. I am bad at bullet hells and I still beat the game twice.
The game is a good YouTube watch though...

Fat4all

Banned
And attack-order charts.

Not to be mean, but...

Toriel stop trying to hit you when you're down to like 4 health, and actively tries to avoid hitting you from that point.

Szadek

Genocide run:
It's very hard to get killed by Toriel, because if you are low on health, she will only use attacks that will never hit you.

Aureon

Not to be mean, but...

Toriel stop trying to hit you when you're down to like 4 health, and actively tries to avoid hitting you from that point.

Yup, but if you get killed 6->0 in a turn, she doesn't do that. Also if you move around too much the avoidance will fail.
.... I'm.. speaking from experience here.

Aureon

i can't imagine how fucking cool it must be to have these insanely talented people making covers of your music

I can't imagine how fucking cool it must be to write that goddamn music, while simultaneously doing 10/10 storytelling and gameplay design (For some bosses, at least).

Dr. Buni

I can't imagine how fucking cool it must be to write that goddamn music, while simultaneously doing 10/10 storytelling and gameplay design (For some bosses, at least).
Was everything done by only one person? Holy shit if that is the case. Pretty much everything in this game reeks awesomeness (so far).

By the way, I need tips for the
Asgore
boss. Please?

DNAbro

Was everything done by only one person? Holy shit if that is the case. Pretty much everything in this game reeks awesomeness (so far).

Asgore
boss. Please?

a lot of the art was done by others but yeah it was mostly Toby. It's insane to think that one person is that multi-talented. I'm working on some game projects atm and I know I won't be able to make something that sounds as good as Undertale no matter what I do.

a lot of the art was done by others but yeah it was mostly Toby. It's insane to think that one person is that multi-talented. I'm working on some game projects atm and I know I won't be able to make something that sounds as good as Undertale no matter what I do.
The most surprising part is he didn't even take that long, less than 3 years wasn't it? Toby is ultra efficient compared to other solo devs out there.

Jintor

and he still ran overtime by about a year and a half, although because he wasn't paying anyone and he was working out of his parent's basement it didn't actually matter that much

Dr. Buni

What exactly are you having trouble with?
With beating him. :p I run out of health supplies quick because his attacks are hard to dodge... To be fair, I am really short on health supplies, so here is a more objective question: Where can I find more close to where you fight said boss?
Yup. This is the second time I am impressed by one person developing almost everything in a game by themself. First time was with Cave Story.

Also, good luck with your project(s).

With beating him. :p I run out of health supplies quick because his attacks are hard to dodge... To be fair, I am really short on health supplies, so here is a more objective question: Where can I find more close to where you fight said boss?

The closest place for healing items is still MTT Resort, if you've got the cash for it. If you need cash, I think encounters still spawn in the Core which give about 100G each for sparing them. That'll at least let you fill up with junk food.

Yeah, just stock up on Starfaits with Burgerpants. There's no secret to that fight, just gotta make sure to talk to him a few times to lower his stats.

Aureon

Asgore
boss. Please?

A good chunk of the art isn't his, but i think the fundamental designs are.
Also he had someone else write the dialogue for Waterfall and Hotlands, IIRC.

Dr. Buni

A good chunk of the art isn't his, but i think the fundamental designs are.
Also he had someone else write the dialogue for Waterfall and Hotlands, IIRC.
Still really impressive, I would say.
The closest place for healing items is still MTT Resort, if you've got the cash for it. If you need cash, I think encounters still spawn in the Core which give about 100G each for sparing them. That'll at least let you fill up with junk food.
Yeah, just stock up on Starfaits with Burgerpants. There's no secret to that fight, just gotta make sure to talk to him a few times to lower his stats.
Thanks! I just managed to beat him, after buying a few nice creams :)

Edit: Okay, so I beat
Flowey
as well and
killed them and the game ended after Sans said a couple things.
Which ending is that? How many endings are there in the game, by the way?

Edit: Okay, so I beat
Flowey
as well and
killed them and the game ended after Sans said a couple things.
Which ending is that? How many endings are there in the game, by the way?
You got the neutral ending. There's
3 main endings, one of them having several variations.

Baliis

Verder

Where can i find the song that plays when you go to Burgerpants shop
ive been looking alllllllllllllll month man.

edit- finally found it.
edit edit- wtf its actually the shop theme but a tad bit different...

Waterfall makes me feel emotional. The little bells that echo

Dr. Buni

You got the neutral ending. There's
3 main endings, one of them having several variations.
I see.
I was actively trying to get the genocide ending, but seems like I must have left someone alive. Maybe I had to kill the Undyne fanboy kid?

Puruzi

Banned
I see.
I was actively trying to get the genocide ending, but seems like I must have left someone alive. Maybe I had to kill the Undyne fanboy kid?

You have to kill all the random encounters in every zone until it says "but nobody came" when an enemy tries to show up

L95

I see.

You have to kill all the random encounters, not just named npcs, the music changes to be much creepier, and empty random encounters start triggering. You have to start a genocide run by destroying all the random encounters in the ruins, and then keep that up throughout the entire game.

Dr. Buni

You have to kill all the random encounters in every zone until it says "but nobody came" when an enemy tries to show up
You have to kill all the random encounters, not just named npcs, the music changes to be much creepier, and empty random encounters start triggering. You have to start a genocide run by destroying all the random encounters in the ruins, and then keep that up throughout the entire game.
I see. Thanks! I will have to try that after my pacifist run.

I beat
Sans
just now and I must say, this has to be the hardest gaming related challenge I have overcome in a long time.
I had a blast with it though and I really hope that a full hard mode of the game does get released.

I recommend anyone who likes a challenge
, and can handle having a bad time,
to give it a shot.
You can use a save manager + Flowey's time machine to get to him if you don't feel up to actually doing a genocide run(I did the same).

Well, finally sat down and played the whole game (in one day). Did a pacifist run. Took about eight hours.

I really enjoyed it, and feel heavily disturbed that I'm aching to play it again just so
I CAN MURDER EVERYONE. Ah, but what about the happy ending we worked so hard for? Could I really bring myself to kill Papyrus?
You wanna say no but that
BLOODLUST (...er, dustlust?)
just keeps lingering. Ah well...

Tiktaalik

Well over an hour in at this point. I'm enjoying it but I'm finding it ever so linear and being worn down by how exhaustingly overscripted it is. I'm going to have to take a break for a bit.

Teknoman

Well, finally sat down and played the whole game (in one day). Did a pacifist run. Took about eight hours.

I really enjoyed it, and feel heavily disturbed that I'm aching to play it again just so
I CAN MURDER EVERYONE. Ah, but what about the happy ending we worked so hard for? Could I really bring myself to kill Papyrus?
You wanna say no but that
BLOODLUST (...er, dustlust?)
just keeps lingering. Ah well...

lol thats my problem. I know how
doofy everyone is
aside from Undyne and Sans...of course Flowey, so its going to make it that much harder to do that type of run. Which is strange, especially since its not like the characters are extremely detailed. Those damn personalities...

Dimmle

Well over an hour in at this point. I'm enjoying it but I'm finding it ever so linear and being worn down by how exhaustingly overscripted it is. I'm going to have to take a break for a bit.

Yeah, the combo of Ruins and Snowdin is a little too heavy on scripted events but it loosens up.

Dr. Buni

Linearity isn't a bad thing (to me), since I hate having to find where to go in games, but I can get behind the "game being overscripted" complain. Still a fantastic game, though.

Top Bottom