• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Undertale |OT| Indie RPG with determination and spider bake sales

Aizo

Banned
Just got the true pacifist ending. I had only played like 2 hours over the past two weeks, because I've been busy with life, but I finally had some time. Screwed myself over for tomorrow by staying up playing so long, but it was really fun. Undertale does a lot of things that I love in games, so I feel happy that I got to play it. I'm very impressed overall.

I have no plans to do a genocide run.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Just i... just wanted to say:
I beat
Undyne the Undying
It took 109 tries. I'm pretty happy about it.

Grexeno

Just got this. Could someone explain the exact requirements, or as close as you can get without significant spoilers, for the endings?

Did my full pacifist run last night, guess I'll just talk about the game a little now...

My first run was neutral, with my only kill being
Toriel
. Yeah yeah, I know, I'm a massive piece of shit. That ending annoyed the hell out of me, it felt so hallow, like, I spent most of the game trying to be friendly but the ending was pretty much 'you fucked up'. Giving some time to reflect though it does make sense, I mean, I killed a person. That's bad. Still, it meant I could go up against
photoshop flowey
which was a fun and fucked up fight for the ending there. It was so weird that in choosing to kill them afterwards the battle, there was
A) permanence in flowey mocking you as you keep reloading the file to fight Asgore and then B) his disappearance in your subsequent run.

Which brings me to the pacifist run. Having made friends with Papyrus but not Alphys and Undyne, those extra scenes where great! Plus the new area was fantastic from a story perspective.
The true lab is the creepiest place I've been to in a game for a while.
The final boss fight for this run was really well done, and the scenes afterwards, from exploring the map, to the epilogue, was the perfect way to round off the game. And it's rounded off, I haven't the strength to do a no mercy run.

I'm not sure if this game is ever going to be topped. The way Undertale twists, bends, and rips apart the RPG format is totally unique, and I can't ever see it being done better, or in a way that can truly surprise. The characters are all wonderful, and their dialogue and the writing as a whole is so charming, actually funny, and poignant. I don't think I'd be wrong in saying this is a game for nerds, like, I think anyone would really like it, but it's entire design seems to be built from the ground up for those of us that invest a lot of time in our hobbies and the internet.

I loved Undertale. If $50,000 kickstarters can produce something of this quality, then I think gaming's gonna do alright.

Saikyo

Seeming unlikely any UNDERTALE patch I complete will contain anything other than bugfixes. So, please don't expect anything.

: \

Wanted some new content oh well...hope he change his mind.

MrHoot

Saw that coming.

And perfectly happy with it to be fair. Undertale feels nicely self contained to me and I don't feel like it lacks any content (with maybe the exception of the full hard mode but honestly i'm not gonna whinge). Everything else I think is fine. Taking it too far for the Gaster stuff for example would kinda kill the magic

Zubz

Banned
the hard mode dream is most likely dead

https://twitter.com/FwugRadiation/status/663421225218277376
https://twitter.com/FwugRadiation/status/663423828425629696

Not too upset though. I want to see any future things he works on.

Yeah. The dude's clearly good at what he does. Honestly, I'd probably be more excited if his next game's something entirely different!

Besides, I'm torn about wanting more Undertale. On the one hand, the plot's done. It wrapped up nicely, and there's not really much a second game could do to add to the formula outside of new boss mechanics. If this was another game, I'd be standing firm in wanting the series to be done here. On the other hand, though, the characters were fantastic; I'd lose my mind if, say, that Sans/Papyrus Mario & Luigi-style game Puruzi mentioned were to happen, even as a short game you could beat in half an hour. There should never be an Undertale 2, but when Toby said he was considering "small projects," I hope he means side stories (Not even necessarily games) with these characters.

Besides, the Pacifist ending didn't have nearly enough Mettaton in it; I feel like he's owed.

Taking it too far for the Gaster stuff for example would kinda kill the magic

I hope Toby never touches the Gaster plot. From what I can gather, it's supposed to be
an example of a cut character in a game meta enough to purposefully add one in. He's only accessible by digging through files, isn't acknowledged outside of an Easter Egg by any of the characters, and even NPC's related to Gaster have been taken with him. Because he's still in the code, though, he's always present, while simultaneously never having existed
. If Gaster shows up in anything ever again, his entire purpose would be defeated.

DNAbro

You know the only thing that upsets me is that

Pacifist spoilers
Asriel is stuck as Flowey. It just makes me sad that he doesn't get a happy ending. :(

Was hoping there was small chance or something in an update or something.

ah well. At least there is fan comics and such.

Clov

I loved Undertale. Loved it! At the same time, I don't think there should be any more of it. After the pacifist ending,
it's done. Everyone's happy now! Well, except Flowey. Asides from him, everyone's gone and moved on with their lives on the surface. Let them be happy and leave them be! It's why I'm not replaying the game again, or doing a genocide run.

Really though, the story is complete and nothing needs to be added to it.

woopWOOP

It's been awhile, but was there any reason/significance to
Toriel and Asgore being the only bosses (I think??) to have their little heart-souls broken after their bodies faded away? If that's alluding to something I probably missed it like I tend to do.

DNAbro

Toriel and Asgore being the only bosses (I think??) to have their little heart-souls broken after their bodies faded away? If that's alluding to something I probably missed it like I tend to do.

they are a specific kind of monster called a Boss monster where their souls last after death for awhile just like a human soul.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl

They're of the boss monster species whose Souls last a tiny bit after death as opposed to normal monsters entire being swept to dust immediately.

It's because
they are boss monsters.

woopWOOP

they are a specific kind of monster called a Boss monster where their souls last after death for awhile just like a human soul.
They're of the boss monster species whose Souls last a tiny bit after death as opposed to normal monsters entire being swept to dust immediately.
It's because
they are boss monsters.
Okay, so a small detail I missed haha. Thanks for responding :D

Molemitts

So I decided the genocide run was too hard, so I went to look up a video of it.
Flowey, of course, comments on people who can't handle the genocide run and decide to watch a video of it instead. This game is too much. The genocide run is ridiculously hard, but I'm fine with that because it makes total sense, with Undyne becoming the true hero, and with Sans needing to do everything possible to stop you from succeeding.
It reminds me of the hollowing process in Dark Souls, where it's anticipated that some players will give up on the game, so player characters giving up is explained as part of the lore. I love it when game's have all their elements part of a consistent lore, even the stuff no one would expect to be covered and Undertale manages to do that brilliantly.

A-V-B

So I decided the genocide run was too hard, so I went to look up a video of it.
Flowey, of course, comments on people who can't handle the genocide run and decide to watch a video of it instead. This game is too much. The genocide run is ridiculously hard, but I'm fine with that because it makes total sense, with Undyne becoming the true hero, and with Sans needing to do everything possible to stop you from succeeding.
It reminds me of the hollowing process in Dark Souls, where it's anticipated that some players will give up on the game, so player characters giving up is explained as part of the lore. I love it when game's have all their elements part of a consistent lore, even the stuff no one would expect to be covered and Undertale manages to do that brilliantly.

Something tells me that's a lot easier when you're working on a game with the production simplicity of Undertale. You can go all in on extra content. Add a new variable or two, some extra text and some graphical cues. No voice actors you have to bring back. Just add content while you're playtesting.

Molemitts

Something tells me that's a lot easier when you're working on a game with the production simplicity of Undertale. You can go all in on extra content. Add a new variable or two, some extra text and some graphical cues. No voice actors you have to bring back. Just add content while you're playtesting.

That's probably very true, but I always consider stuff like consistent mechanics to game's setting to be important, for immersion. Even if things like giving up or starting a new game don't have to be explained, in most games.

Fou-Lu

While true, I'd still say Undertale is one of the most detail oriented games I have ever played, and I didn't know that was something I was missing until now.

A-V-B

While true, I'd still say Undertale is one of the most detail oriented games I have ever played, and I didn't know that was something I was missing until now.

That's actually my point. Its simplicity allows it to have incredible detail.

Richie

So I
killed Toriel in my first playthrough, because I wasn't aware of the Spare option and whatnot until later...Now I managed to Spare her, she gave me a hug, told me not to come back, is nowhere to be seen at her home. I just passed the flower and it referenced the first time I did this, and there was also references in this second "fight".
What I want to know is, a yes or no will do, if I can still get the best ending after this, considering I've been a pacifist this whole run and will aim to continue being so.

Corpekata

Banned
So I
killed Toriel in my first playthrough, because I wasn't aware of the Spare option and whatnot until later...Now I managed to Spare her, she gave me a hug, told me not to come back, is nowhere to be seen at her home. I just passed the flower and it referenced the first time I did this, and there was also references in this second "fight".
What I want to know is, a yes or no will do, if I can still get the best ending after this, considering I've been a pacifist this whole run and will aim to continue being so.

You can still.

tkscz

Something has been bothering me lately.
In a genocide run, Undyne is able to tap into her determination. From Alphys notes, monsters can't handle determination or they melt. We do see Undyne the undying melt, but only after you beat her, otherwise she won't melt. It makes me wonder if the reason the other monsters instantly melted was because it wasn't their own determination they had, but someone else (and even of another species). And that if Undyne could be victorious, would she had remained that way, went back to normal, or melted anyway and would she be the one able to use save points with Chara dead?

Richie

Say. For the best pacifist ending, do I have to spare every single monster I encounter, or does sparing at least one of each and fleeing if I feel like it work? Snowdrakes galore...

GoldStarz

Say. For the best pacifist ending, do I have to spare every single monster I encounter, or does sparing at least one of each and fleeing if I feel like it work? Snowdrakes galore...
You can't kill a single monster; you must befriend all the boss monsters.

Corpekata

Banned
You can just flee all you want. It just has the downsides of not getting you gold. You don't need to spare each type monster or anything.

Ceravic

As a die-hard fan of the Mother series, this might be my game of the year. It had all the heart and cleverness of the Mother series while still feeling like it's own thing. Add on the fantastic battle system and I'm so glad I played it. I literally knew nothing about it until a friend of mine at work told me "Hey, you like Earthbound right? I picked up this game that kind of reminds me of it.". I only did (ending spoilers ahead)
true pacifist ending and I loved the story and characters so much I can't ever see doing a genocide run. I wish I could just do a battle arena or something to do the Undyne the Undying and Sans fights without the story implications. I legitimately cried during the true pacifist ending/last fight. As someone who had an 8 year relationship end earlier this year and am living alone for the first time in years Asriel's speech about being alone and afraid struck a major chord with me.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
In a genocide run, Undyne is able to tap into her determination. From Alphys notes, monsters can't handle determination or they melt. We do see Undyne the undying melt, but only after you beat her, otherwise she won't melt. It makes me wonder if the reason the other monsters instantly melted was because it wasn't their own determination they had, but someone else (and even of another species). And that if Undyne could be victorious, would she had remained that way, went back to normal, or melted anyway and would she be the one able to use save points with Chara dead?

I like to think that the issue of injecting Determination Alphys had was that a being can only use his\her own Determination. Like "donor compatibility" issue.
In all the timelines where UU kills Genofrisk, she then goes on to free the monsters, since she can now save and absorb souls.

PSqueak

Banned

I always felt the implication was she was gonna die as soon as she killed you

L95

So I

Toriel:
Toriel is at the flower patch you fell down on, It's not really worth it to walk all the way back, but that's where she is.

demidar

Yeah this is what I assumed considering the response
to determination injection as time passed in the True Lab.

Considering she has innate determination, I assume she would be fine and her soul can take it. I took her Genocide fight as her determination manifesting like adrenaline.

MrBadger

Considering she has innate determination, I assume she would be fine and her soul can take it. I took her Genocide fight as her determination manifesting like adrenaline.

At that point, she's already been killed. I took it as like, she was holding her body together with all her determination, and after she beat you, she'd turn to dust

Just i... just wanted to say:
I beat
Undyne the Undying
It took 109 tries. I'm pretty happy about it.

Reading that it's possible to do fills me with determination

trimon

No mercy spoilers:
I can't believe Flowey called me out, through a Youtuber's let's play, on being too chicken to do the no mercy run myself.
I've only got the neutral ending myself and slowly working through a pacifist run. This game ... it will find you no matter where you go.

Top Bottom