• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Undertale |OT| Indie RPG with determination and spider bake sales

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
To those who are following my journey of dying >3 times at every single boss, >10 at asgore and >100 and UU:
[IMAGE LINK INSIDE SPOILER]
I've died 4 times before i could even see this screen: http://puu.sh/lfEZY/ec5b89e73e.png

BY2K

Membero Americo
Shame about Hard Mode. I was hoping he would finish it and have it explain a few things, lore-wise.

hupla

Maybe i missed something but is there a reason that
Toriel doesn't interrupt the asgore fight in the neutral ending. I understand that flowey calls everyone else there through papyrus but why does she only choose the true ending to show up?

Toriel doesn't interrupt the asgore fight in the neutral ending. I understand that flowey calls everyone else there through papyrus but why does she only choose the true ending to show up?
Flowey only calls people there in the pacifist ending, doesn't he?

Syril

Toriel only decided to intervene during the extra time that Frisk took to go through the True Lab or something? I don't know, it's not very clear. The neutral ending reveals that she showed up soon after Frisk left so I assume that she came to the same decision then but it was too late.

Flowey only calls people there in the pacifist ending, doesn't he?
Yeah, but Papyrus explicitly says that he called everyone except Toriel. He doesn't even know who Toriel is.

Dimmle

Plot convenience!

FluxWaveZ

Just finished this game. Mine's what seems to be the common sentiment: great game.

I missed out on
finding Undyne's house
during my first run, so I ended up getting a variation of the
Neutral
ending. After finishing and going back, I was a bit disappointed I missed out on that one screen since it added a significant chunk to the game and completely changed the ending into the
True Pacifist
one.

But I'm actually glad I got the former one first; it feels... appropriate, somehow. The latter felt too saccharine when it starts, which was fine as the
true ending I saw after the Neutral one

After being able to unblock my spoiler firewall for Undertale, I'm surprised how seemingly popular this game is. Good for it.

Fou-Lu

Just finished this game. Mine's what seems to be the common sentiment: great game.

I missed out on
finding Undyne's house
Neutral
ending. After finishing and going back, I was a bit disappointed I missed out on that one screen since it added a significant chunk to the game and completely changed the ending into the
True Pacifist
one.

But I'm actually glad I got the former one first; it feels... appropriate, somehow. The latter felt too saccharine when it starts, which was fine as the

After being able to unblock my spoiler firewall for Undertale, I'm surprised how seemingly popular this game is. Good for it.

You actually can't get the True Pacifist ending without getting a neutral ending first.

FluxWaveZ

You actually can't get the True Pacifist ending without getting a neutral ending first.

Ah, neat coincidence! That totally explains why I felt the way I did towards how the True Pacifist ending started, then. Definitely felt like it was building off of the Neutral ending.

DNAbro

I missed out on
finding Undyne's house
Neutral
True Pacifist
one.

glad to hear that you liked it. Do you plan to do the genocide route or nah?

FluxWaveZ

glad to hear that you liked it. Do you plan to do the genocide route or nah?

Yeah, I'm definitely going to go back and do another full run for that. Interested in seeing what changes and how greatly the game differs playing that way. Found myself thinking sometimes that I'd rather just kill this monster right now than having to evade their crap during my first playthrough.

Finsihed it today. Overall, it was a good game, but I think I went in expecting too much. It's not disappointing, but it didn't live up to my lofty hopes.

I started playing it and finished The Ruins by
killing the Toriel
only because I did spare way too many times without anything happeing, so I thought I was supposed to widdle down the health a little bit, but it went from about 30% health to 0% in one hit, so it was an accident. I decided to reload and I love that the game knew what I was doing. That kind of stuff is so clever and I wish other games did stuff like this.

From there, I guess I played the
pacifist
route because the game seemed to hint heavily that you should
spare
everyeone. So, I did, and that made the enemy encounters and bosses fun since they became puzzles. The bullet hell aspect was novel, but I'm not that great at those games so I got frustrated at times quite a bit, especially the ending stuff.

The writing is really great with the exception of the anime jokes, personally. As someone who knows very little about anime, and what little I do know I find obnoxious, some of the jokes and references went over my head and were annoying. But everything else was great. The humor hits the right touches of quirky and goofy, and it can be slightly touching at times. I think I missed out on a lot by playing it "right" (albeit accidentally, since I didn't use a guide or look up stuff), but when I beat the game, all I had to go do to get the "pacifist or true' ending was go
on a date with Alphys
since I dind't know you could go back at that point in the game; I thought I was comitted to the end at that point. Everything else I got on my first playthrough.

I kind of don't have the time to play it again to do an evil playthough where I kill everything since I have other games to play, but I'm sure the game acts very differently since it does so in that first hour I had to replay. I also love the Earthbound influences, from the writing, jokes, typography, and so on. I'm very much looking forward to whatever the designer puts out next.

edit: I think I may look up some videos of stuff, because I do want to know what happens at the end if after
sparing someone, I just end up killing them at the last moment.
Surely the game must comment on stuff like that and other weird things you could potentially do in the game.

Kenai

edit: I think I may look up some videos of stuff, because I do want to know what happens at the end if after
sparing someone, I just end up killing them at the last moment.
Surely the game must comment on stuff like that and other weird things you could potentially do in the game.

The game changes pretty heavily on a genocide run, even different groups of enemies you don't get on a pacifist run, and a completely different final boss (though you may be able to guess who it is since you've beaten the game already) (hint: the judge becomes the jury and the executioner)). There's a LOT of stuff that isn't covered on any one run. If you are really interested in learning more without playing again, look up the character named Chara, but it's quite extensive and will ruin a decent amount of the shock value if you read about it beforehand

BTA

Been chipping away at it for the past two weeks and finally finished my first run through last night. I'm kinda annoyed that I've been spoiled for a number of characters/things thanks to the constant buzz on my Twitter timeline, but I guess I'm more annoyed at myself for not playing it sooner as a result. It ended up being short enough that I could have made the time for it if I really wanted to.

Even with those light spoilers, the neutral ending was really impactful. I did know there were the 3 endings (effectively) going in, so I was willing to level up to get more health if needed.
I only ever killed random encounter enemies around Snowdin, but having done that still really hurt by the end.

I'm not sure if I want to continue with it right away, so I might wait a week or so before picking it up again. But I know I need to see things through now.

sephi22

Posted by CoD Blops 3 emblem in its OT. Reposting here because I'm really happy with how it turned out. Was super easy to make but because of the 64 layer limit I couldn't make it more accurate

*No Mercy Spoilers*
I0oII3Z.jpg

jett

D-Member
Got a neutral ending. That was a pretty fantastic endgame. Really clever.

Unfortunately I played nearly all of it in a pacifist way (after the Toriel business), which really doesn't make me want to play all over the game again in pretty much the exact same manner just to get a "true ending." I guess I could go the other way.

Got a neutral ending. That was a pretty fantastic endgame. Really clever.

Unfortunately I played nearly all of it in a pacifist way (after the Toriel business), which really doesn't make me want to play all over the game again in pretty much the exact same manner just to get a "true ending." I guess I could go the other way.

If you found the neutral ending fantastic, the true ending will melt your face. Seriously, do it. I did mess my first run too, but the second one was pretty easy.

FluxWaveZ

Nah the extra 2-3 hours of content makes True Pacfisit better for me.
I loved the True Lab.

A player could have still seen that if they mostly played in a pacifist way anyways, right?

Ehh, you can make an argument that Neutral is the best.

It seems that all of this game's endings are pretty good, which is nice. It's unfortunate when choice-based games shove players into an unsatisfying, throwaway ending.

demidar

Nah the extra 2-3 hours of content makes True Pacfisit better for me.
I loved the True Lab.

I loved it as well, but I was only talking about the ending and the aftermath. I prefer the True Pacifist ending for obvious reasons, everyone's happy, but it's also extremely, almost painfully anime and that can turn people off. For those people, Neutral ending is more thematically consistent in that everything isn't sunshine and rainbows, after all Asgore has probably killed a few humans and other monsters have probably preyed on the rest, seeing them get off Scott free can be a bit weird.

FluxWaveZ

No the trigger for that to open requires true pacifism and one fight with the neutral final boss.

Geez, I feel like I'm so unsure of so many intricacies just because I missed
Undyne's house.

Basically, I did everything in a True Pacifist way but missed her house my first time through, getting the Neutral ending. Flowey told me I might get a better ending if I befriended Undyne, so I reloaded my save, realized I missed her house and it's immediately after she set it on fire that she gave me a letter to see Alphys, leading to the date, then immediately leading to Papyrus contacting me about going to Alphys' lab to see the horrors.

Interesting. Guess that kind of worked out for me, then.

Or... is it that there is actually no
Undyne house
before confronting the Neutral Boss? That would explain everything.

I like how everyone forgets in True Pacifist that for everyone to live happily ever after
Asriel has to be stuck as Flowey, alone in the underground, forever. No amount of determination will ever bring him back.
The True Pacifist ending is by no means all sunshine and rainbows. It has a pretty big fucking downer on it. No ending in this game is "Everything worked out"

Or... is it that there is actually no
Undyne house
before confronting the Neutral Boss? That would explain everything.

Undyne house can be had as soon as after you escape and saved Undyne. The only thing you can't access on your first playthrough is Alphys' lab, the second time. It's locked up and you can't re-enter, even if you fulfilled all the pacifist criteria up to that point.

EDIT: As for why,
check the trash can next to Alphys' desk after the Alphys date, when you can reenter the lab. Something scared Alphys; this is your first clue as to what and why.

FluxWaveZ

Undyne house can be had as soon as after you escape and saved Undyne. The only thing you can't access on your first playthrough is Alphys' lab, the second time. It's locked up and you can't re-enter, even if you fulfilled all the pacifist criteria up to that point.

Interesting, thanks. Funny that that's the one thing I missed, because I thought that whole section that opened up just by going there could have been seen before facing the boss, when in reality some of it would have still been locked up.

EDIT: As for why,
check the trash can next to Alphys' desk after the Alphys date, when you can reenter the lab. Something scared Alphys; this is your first clue as to what and why.

Ah, something else. I'll have to look into it; doubt there'll be any
dating
in my next run.

demidar

I like how everyone forgets in True Pacifist that for everyone to live happily ever after
Asriel has to be stuck as Flowey, alone in the underground, forever. No amount of determination will ever bring him back.
The True Pacifist ending is by no means all sunshine and rainbows. It has a pretty big fucking downer on it. No ending in this game is "Everything worked out"

It's still way more happier then dead bosses, Alphys potentially offing herself, Undyne declaring war on humanity (not sure if that could get anywhere though) and Flowey could still be alive anyway, except without going through catharsis.

I took at as Reincarnation sucks because girl came back as girl and monster boy came back as flower.

jett

D-Member
If you found the neutral ending fantastic, the true ending will melt your face. Seriously, do it. I did mess my first run too, but the second one was pretty easy.

If this game can top the whole
flowey biznass
I'll be impressed. So I just click reset and that's it? I guess what I did before won't matter at all.

PSqueak

Banned
I took at as Reincarnation sucks because girl came back as girl and monster boy came back as flower.

By girl you mean Frisk? You think Chara (first child) reincarnated as Frisk(playable character)?

That's not how it work, both Chara's and Asriel's Souls got into Flowey, Asriel explains that when he took Chara's body to the surface by absorbing Chara's Soul, Chara wanted to kill everyone in the village, Asriel refused and cameback to the underground to die, using his last remaining will he locked both of them into the flower so Chara couldn't hurt anybody anymore, but after Alphys experimented with the flower, it turned into Flowey.

The implication is Chara is trying to manipulate everyone, in Pacifist you manage to wipe out their influence, in Hog Wild they manages to take Frisk over (which is why in the end flowey whimpers and asks for mercy, because it's now only Asriel).

That's how i understood it.

By girl you mean Frisk? You think Chara (first child) reincarnated as Frisk(playable character)?

That's not how it work, both Chara's and Asriel's Souls got into Flowey, Asriel explains that when he took Chara's body to the surface by absorbing Chara's Soul, Chara wanted to kill everyone in the village, Asriel refused and cameback to the underground to die, using his last remaining will he locked both of them into the flower so Chara couldn't hurt anybody anymore, but after Alphys experimented with the flower, it turned into Flowey.

The implication is Chara is trying to manipulate everyone, in Pacifist you manage to wipe out their influence, in Hog Wild they manages to take Frisk over (which is why in the end flowey whimpers and asks for mercy, because it's now only Asriel).

Flowey is souless, so no. When Asriel died, his soul was lost forever, and Chara's went away... somewhere.

I assume he'll have to come out eventually. Total isolation drives completely healthy people insane, and Flowey's shown a propensity for insanity before. At some point that'll override whatever guilt he feels needs to keep him there.

Or at least that's what I tell myself to help me sleep at night.

demidar

Flowey is souless, so no. When Asriel died, his soul was lost forever, and Chara's went away... somewhere.

Not quite, when monsters die they turn into ash and that ash is traditionally sprinkled on the thing they loved most to infuse their essence into it. Since Asriel died on the flowers, his essence (or soul) fused into the flowers, and then given "life" by Alphys' Determination injection. While I'm not sure he still retains a soul, Flowey does retain his memories as Asriel but lacks feelings and emotions. His state is probably closer to a zombie than a living monster.

I guess the kicker is if we consider the essence as a soul?

Not quite, when monsters die they turn into ash and that ash is traditionally sprinkled on the thing they loved most to infuse their essence into it. Since Asriel died on the flowers, his essence (or soul) fused into the flowers, and then given "life" by Alphys' Determination injection. While I'm not sure he still retains a soul, Flowey does retain his memories as Asriel but lacks feelings and emotions. His state is probably closer to a zombie than a living monster.

I guess the kicker is if we consider the essence as a soul?

Essence is not the same as soul. The game also explicitly mentions Flowey has no soul. Come on people.

PSqueak

Banned

Well, yes, technically, but still Flowey is a mix of Chara and Asriel's time fused, Asriel's soul went away as every monsters even tho Flowey still had memories/personality left from Asriel, however, Flowey had save powers before Frisk, the clear implication being Chara's influence, when Frisk fell down, Chara (representation of your player ambitions/curiosity) ditched Flowey and tried to influence Frisk instead, in pacifist you make Frisk fend off Chara's influence (hence the "it's just me, Frisk" mirror bit) and in Hog Wild Chara takes over ("HP, EXP, LV, every time these numbers went up, it was me!" or something like that is Chara's line) and ultimately declares they are in control and destroy the world to move to the next one (AKA you beat the game and move to the next game to continue killing enemies).

demidar

Yeah I confused myself, pay me no mind.

Well, yes, technically, but still Flowey is a mix of Chara and Asriel's time fused, Asriel's soul went away as every monsters even tho Flowey still had memories/personality left from Asriel, however, Flowey had save powers before Frisk, the clear implication being Chara's influence, when Frisk fell down, Chara (representation of your player ambitions/curiosity) ditched Flowey and tried to influence Frisk instead, in pacifist you make Frisk fend off Chara's influence (hence the "it's just me, Frisk" mirror bit) and in Hog Wild Chara takes over ("HP, EXP, LV, every time these numbers went up, it was me!" or something like that is Chara's line) and ultimately declares they are in control and destroy the world to move to the next one (AKA you beat the game and move to the next game to continue killing enemies).

I thought Determination is what grants Save/Load abilities. Since Flowey was injected with Determination he was granted those powers. As for Chara's influence, it might have to do with Chara being buried where Frisk falls down from (I can't remember who said it or where this was implied, something about Toriel taking Chara's body from the Coffin Room and bringing it to the ruins). Since human souls can persist long after death, maybe when Frisk was unconscious is when Chara's soul started to take its influence due to proximity.

DNAbro

I'm pretty sure you got some things wrong there. Asriel made sure Chara didn't gain control of their combined body so he couldn't hurt anybody and then when they came back they both died, Asriel's dust was spread around the area and I'm assuming the flowers popped up in the same spot due to their seeds sticking everywhere.

The Flowey experiment only seemed to have happened because Asriel's dust was among the flowers that popped up.

Chara's soul/influence is debatable about what happened to it since it seems to latch on to Frisk when he drops down. It's also debatable on whether that if that is the reason for the resets and time travel.

PSqueak

Banned
I'm pretty sure you got some things wrong there. Asriel made sure Chara didn't gain control of their combined body so he couldn't hurt anybody and then when they came back they both died, Asriel's dust was spread around the area and I'm assuming the flowers popped up in the same spot due to their seeds sticking everywhere.

The Flowey experiment only seemed to have happened because Asriel's dust was among the flowers that popped up.

Chara's soul/influence is debatable about what happened to it since it seems to latch on to Frisk when he drops down. It's also debatable on whether that if that is the reason for the resets and time travel.

If you go back all the way to the flower patch in the ruins in the victory lap
Asriel explicitly states that when he stopped allowing chara's soul push him around when they fused, that's when they turned into a flower he says so, i think the line textually is "I think that's why i became a flower", mind you, it wasn't a talking sentient one until Alphys experimented on it.

I thought Determination is what grants Save/Load abilities. Since Flowey was injected with Determination he was granted those powers. As for Chara's influence, it might have to do with Chara being buried where Frisk falls down from (I can't remember who said it or where this was implied, something about Toriel taking Chara's body from the Coffin Room and bringing it to the ruins). Since human souls can persist long after death, maybe when Frisk was unconscious is when Chara's soul started to take its influence due to proximity.

Flowey also directly states
He lost the powers when Frisk appeared, and only regained them during the final neutral fight when he absorbed the 6 human souls, Save powers require not determination alone, but Human Soul(s), If he had them before it was likely due to Chara's Soul, but Chara latching to Frisk made Flowey lose the save powers until getting 6 human souls, instantly overpowering Frisk's save power (since they would have only their own soul and kinda Chara's to combat flowey loaded with 6 human souls), eventually during the battle you reach for the 6 human Souls, once again stripping Flowey from the Save power.

Well, yes, technically, but still Flowey is a mix of Chara and Asriel's time fused

Asriel didn't know about Chara's motives for being an omnicidal psychopath, and there was no manifestation of Chara whatsoever during the true ending boss fight, even though there were plenty of monster AND human souls present.

however, Flowey had save powers before Frisk, the clear implication being Chara's influence, when Frisk fell down, Chara (representation of your player ambitions/curiosity) ditched Flowey and tried to influence Frisk instead

Flowey had powers because he got injected with heaps of Determination (which was what created him), not Chara.

in pacifist you make Frisk fend off Chara's influence (hence the "it's just me, Frisk" mirror bit) and in Hog Wild Chara takes over ("HP, EXP, LV, every time these numbers went up, it was me!" or something like that is Chara's line) and ultimately declares they are in control and destroy the world to move to the next one (AKA you beat the game and move to the next game to continue killing enemies).

You're conflating the "The player is Chara" with "The player is influencing Frisk". The player is not Chara, and people most likely think so because so many people put their names on the "Name the fallen human" screen and take it as a hint.

Save powers require not determination alone, but Human Soul(s)

[Citation Needed]

DNAbro

If you go back all the way to the flower patch in the ruins in the victory lap
Asriel explicitly states that when he stopped allowing chara's soul push him around when they fused, that's when they turned into a flower he says so, i think the line textually is "I think that's why i became a flower", mind you, it wasn't a talking sentient one until Alphys experimented on it.

Flowey also directly states
He lost the powers when Frisk appeared, and only regained them during the final neutral fight when he absorbed the 6 human souls, Save powers require not determination alone, but Human Soul(s), If he had them before it was likely due to Chara's Soul, but Chara latching to Frisk made Flowey lose the save powers until getting 6 human souls, instantly overpowering Frisk's save power (since they would have only their own soul and kinda Chara's to combat flowey loaded with 6 human souls), eventually during the battle you reach for the 6 human Souls, once again stripping Flowey from the Save power.

I took that line as him saying "thanks to these sequences of events, i eventually became a soulless flower" as in if he did kill those humans, he would have never became a flower.

Top Bottom