• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Undertale |OT| Indie RPG with determination and spider bake sales

hidys

This really is one of the best games this year.

I just finished this game for the first time and HOLY SHIT THAT ENDING!

For my 2nd run should I go for genocide or pacifist first?

KHlover

Banned
Bought the game yesterday...how would you NOT do pacifist, even in your first run? So much fun to figure out how to get each enemy to accept your mercy.

Capra

Most people get stumped in the very beginning at the
Toriel
fight and assume the only option is to fight. To be honest, the only reason I knew what to do there was because I played the demo - which took you through that entire first section - when it was first released.

KHlover

Banned
Toriel
fight and assume the only option is to fight. To be honest, the only reason I knew what to do there was because I played the demo - which took you through that entire first section - when it was first released.

Hm, yeah.
I actually was about to throw the fight when suddenly her attacks didn't aim for me anymore. From that moment on it was pretty clear how to continue :D

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Toriel

I was confused too, but the dialog afterwords sounded very much like you've made a choice, so I was able to redo it without fighting.

The flower remembered though, still making me feel guilty about my original mistake.

jett

D-Member
Tried a genocide run.

Running around looking for a buncha fights...being at the mercy of RNG. Seems like a pain. This would work better if this game didn't have random battles.

FluxWaveZ

Looks like I'll be doing a pacifist run. I'm really looking forward to seeing how the game plays out like that.

It kind of plays out the same as in the Normal route, with the obvious dialogue changes depending on who you spared this time (though, depending on how many people you killed the first time, you might see several things differently).

What changes dramatically is the ending. I'd highly recommend doing a Genocide route after Pacifist, because that's when pretty much the whole game changes.

Tried a genocide run.

Running around looking for a buncha fights...being at the mercy of RNG. Seems like a pain. This would work better if this game didn't have random battles.

Definitely the worst part about it, though I understand the reason behind making it such a pain to get. It would have been good if, when you get locked into it, the player received some item that could ramp up the encounter rate. Still worth going through, in my opinion, and it does really give the feeling that you're explicitly going out of your way to kill things... which is important for that route.

Tried a genocide run.

Did you complete it? I also started one today after having done Neutral and Pacifist.
Undyne the Undying kicked my ass. First death in my run so far. She ain't messing around.

The game is very good at making you feel like the scum of the earth, btw.

MrBadger

Definitely the worst part about it, though I understand the reason behind making it such a pain to get. It would have been good if, when you get locked into it, the player received some item that could ramp up the encounter rate. Still worth going through, in my opinion, and it does really give the feeling that you're explicitly going out of your way to kill things... which is important for that route.

Genocide is definitely more of an experience than a well thought out game. The fact that only
Undyne and Sans
pose a threat and the frustration of wandering around for ages looking for things to kill make an unbalanced game, but they also make a fitting experience because the game really makes you go out of your way to ensure that everything's dead, and the boss fights are given weight by the characters. Genocide should really be something people do after they've experienced the game properly. Also because you'll feel so much worse murdering everyone after you've gotten to know them.

tumblr_nx3dx9qmUC1rqz5qko3_r1_1280.jpg

The-Regressor has been making old PS1/N64 models and textures and recreating all of the scenes from the game. It's really amazing stuff.

Genocide Run Ponderings

So as you go through a lot of monsters start realizing what you are and what's going on. And they want to stop you because not only are you a threat to monsters but to humanity as well. But my question is...how?

Like, the explanation behind how a little kid could kill monsters like Undyne and Sans makes sense in the context of the world. But Chara is still just a little kid, or in Frisk's little kid body. Gaining LV and EXP isn't really going to affect them fighting humans. Obviously a psychotic little kid can make creative means to kill adults but at the end of the day it's not like Chara could genocide the planet. Frisk is human after all, and the only monster soul they can absorb is Asgore's to leave the barrier before it expires. It just doesn't seem like Chara is that big a threat to humans.

FluxWaveZ

Genocide Run Ponderings

I don't know if that was meant to be looked into too deeply, but I guess a few possibilities:

1. It has to do with the nature of Chara's soul within Frisk's body. Asriel absorbed Chara's soul upon his death to pass the barrier, giving him the power to kill everyone who attacked him if he wanted. Upon Asriel's death, I guess it could be seen that part of that power still remained with Chara, as well as with Flowey (i.e. Asriel).

2. In a universe where wizards exist in the human world, I'm sure there's something Chara + Frisk could find out to gain the power to destroy everything.

3. I guess if I want to really invent something related to the game's themes, the power of "Determination" in the world gives one the inner power to attain one's goals, and has magical properties for humans as well as with monsters. This is why Undyne is the one who becomes Undyne the Undying. It's why Frisk is the only one to survive among the 7 humans who fell. The "Determination" to annihilate Chara + Frisk have in the Genocide Route could transfer over to power, just like it did for Undyne (and who they managed to defeat).

Kenai

Genocide Run Ponderings

While there is some stuff up for debate,
I always assumed that Chara's goal (and the reason he bothered to come into the barrier) was to become that monster/human soul fusion, and thus would have enough power to kill anything he (they?) wanted.

It seems that Asriel Dremurr in his true form had the potential to destroy the entire world, which would have meant destroying the human world and thus fulfilling Chara's objective. If Asriel hadn't originally overpowered Chara's will and returned after they fused, he might have very well started killing right then and there.

it was also my assumption that Chara may have originally dragged his own body out there to provoke Asriel into counterattacking, and the subsequent killing and exp gain would have then made it easier for Chara to overpower Asriel and then simply kill everyone he wished (similar to how if you try to resist him on a Genocide run as Frisk).Let's also not forget the many human souls he would have also been able to absorb from doing this, making him more powerful all the while as he continued.

That all of course begs the question of WHY CHARA WHY YOU WEIRDO and Flowey/Asriel is the only witness to all of this so there's likely more we don't understand, but the pieces seem to fit, yea?

Zubz

Banned
The-Regressor has been making old PS1/N64 models and textures and recreating all of the scenes from the game. It's really amazing stuff.

Yeah, it's all been pretty neat! They've done Napstablook and the original Mettaton since then, too!

I know it's something small to look forward to, but they're doing Mettaton EX on the 27th; I can't wait to see him in all of his polygonal glory!

EDIT: Oh yeah. They also accidentally made
Asriel, somewhat. The Regressor put Toriel's head on Frisk's body as a joke back when they only 20 minutes into the game, told a friend, and the friend told them that they essentially accidentally made a pre-existing character... so they uploaded it alongside the first two.

PK Gaming

Genocide Run Ponderings

So as you go through a lot of monsters start realizing what you are and what's going on. And they want to stop you because not only are you a threat to monsters but to humanity as well. But my question is...how?

Like, the explanation behind how a little kid could kill monsters like Undyne and Sans makes sense in the context of the world. But Chara is still just a little kid, or in Frisk's little kid body. Gaining LV and EXP isn't really going to affect them fighting humans. Obviously a psychotic little kid can make creative means to kill adults but at the end of the day it's not like Chara could genocide the planet. Frisk is human after all, and the only monster soul they can absorb is Asgore's to leave the barrier before it expires. It just doesn't seem like Chara is that big a threat to humans.

Oh i'm sure he/she could manage. With the level of DETERMINATION they displayed during the route, it wouldn't be a stretch at all to imagine the amount of havoc they could wreak on the human world.

Kwixotik

Napstablook is my spirit animal. Finally completed the true pacifist ending today. Incredible game, top 3 of the year with Bloodborne and Rocket League for me.

Kinsei

Banned
I just
finished cooking with Undyne. I never should have done a pacifist run first, now I'll never want to get the other endings. I can't kill her or Papyrus.

This game is a strong contender for my game of the year alongside Monster Hunter and Life is Strange.

Yeah, it's all been pretty neat! They've done Napstablook and the original Mettaton since then, too!

I know it's something small to look forward to, but they're doing Mettaton EX on the 27th; I can't wait to see him in all of his polygonal glory!

EDIT: Oh yeah. They also accidentally made
Asriel, somewhat. The Regressor put Toriel's head on Frisk's body as a joke back when they only 20 minutes into the game, told a friend, and the friend told them that they essentially accidentally made a pre-existing character... so they uploaded it alongside the first two.
That's pretty hilarious, and it's certainly a cool thing to look forward to!
OH YES

Need some concrete confirmations on Genocide before I continue, I understand it's easy to mess up.

I'm in the ruins right now. As far as I understand I have to get random battles and kill them until a "But no one came" message appears. Is this message for the area (ruins, snowdin etc) or just the room? And I can't fight bosses without the message triggering, correct?

Puruzi

Banned
Need some concrete confirmations on Genocide before I continue, I understand it's easy to mess up.

I'm in the ruins right now. As far as I understand I have to get random battles and kill them until a "But no one came" message appears. Is this message for the area (ruins, snowdin etc) or just the room? And I can't fight bosses without the message triggering, correct?

Everything you said is correct. The message applies for the whole area. After the ruins, save points will tell you how many enemies you have left to kill

"But no one came" is for the area; Ruins, Snowden, etc. And yes, if you fight the area boss before getting the "But no one came" message, it switches to Neutral.

The safest thing to do is finish off the random encounters in the room right next to the save point or the save point room itself before progressing too far in.

Ok, one last question -

What about NPCs that you don't fight like that rock in the ruins that moves off the switch or vendors? Do anything with them?

You must also kill Napstablook and the Vegetoid below the cracked floor and stuff like that right?

Puruzi

Banned
Ok, one last question -

What about NPCs that you don't fight like that rock in the ruins that moves off the switch or vendors? Do anything with them?

You must also kill Napstablook and the Vegetoid below the cracked floor and stuff like that right?

If you can't fight it, it's not relevant, and yes

L95

So much Undertale art on the Splatoon miiverse.

Walking around Inkopolis to Sans telling me I'm gonna have a bad time and Flowey saying he knows what I did <.<

Ok, one last question -

It varies. On my first run I killed Napstablook, but on my second run, since I killed everything in the first room before reaching him, he simply ran away because I had engaged the Genocide path. Beyond that unique instance, I don't know anything else.

Teknoman

So thats why Undyne acts so hot blooded lol. Also the
true lab
is way more creepy than it should be. Especially the enemy encounters...

As with any game, music can have a fundamental impact when executed properly, and Undertale does indeed do it excellently.

I just wish more western developers would realize this (indie and otherwise), instead of just having generic epic music / background/atmospheric music the majority of the time.

MrBadger

Welp, picked up my genocide run again.
Finally beat Undyne the Undying, and now that I've reached Sans I wish I was still stuck on her. Jesus fuck

Also lol,
Mettaton Neo

Kinsei

Banned
I just opened the game again after beating it (true pacifist). Yep, I'm never playing this game again.

This is without a doubt the most amazing game I'll ever only play through once.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Thinking about doing some more fanart but more complete. Thinking of working on Undyne and Muffet pieces since I got ideas for them. (Muffet one has been in my head for a while.)

Finished the True Pacifist route some days ago. 10/10 game and amazing soundtrack. Many great moments.

Genocide route final boss is too tough. I dont have enough determination to go through it.

Top Bottom