• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Undertale |OT| Indie RPG with determination and spider bake sales

Hypereides

Gold Member
Watched an entire walkthrough of this game. The praise is well deserved.

I would've thought it was a localized JRPG if I had not known it was developed in the west. That's how well crafted it is, which is a compliment by itself. The creator gets an extra plus for the humor and puns, that was refreshing and well done.

Teknoman

I would've thought it was a localized JRPG if I had not known it was developed in the west. That's how well crafted it is, which is a compliment by itself. The creator gets an extra plus for the humor and puns, that was refreshing and well done.

Also goes to show how much a well thought out soundtrack can drive home feelings.

shaowebb

Yeah, do not have the time to spend another 30 minutes with Undyne. I am not good at Bullet Hells and the 360 d-pad suuucks.

As a shmup player believe me when I say you'd be better off just switching to keyboard rather than fighting the 360 dpad. I use stick anytime I can, but honestly keyboard is needed for the last of genocide run anyhow in my opinion. Unless you need the circle pattern for one of the particular attacks I've seen. Considering the rest you'll face on that run...still better to keyboard than pad that one.

Hypereides

Gold Member
Also goes to show how much a well thought out soundtrack can drive home feelings.

Completely. it made me reminisce the megaman and final fantasy soundtracks from the good old days. I'm surprised something like Megalovania was produced by a small, amateur, indie developer.

FluxWaveZ

Completely. it made me reminisce the megaman and final fantasy soundtracks from the good old days. I'm surprised something like Megalovania was produced by a small, amateur, indie developer.

I believe Megalovania, in particular, was composed by Toby Fox when he was 18. Going by the wikia (spoilers), it originally appeared in the EarthBound Halloween ROM Hack, and in a Homestuck album, to then be remixed for Undertale.

DNAbro

Listening to his Homestuck stuff, Toby has been a great composer for awhile. He has some serious talent when it comes to writing catchy and mood fitting music.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
I did, that's one of the reasons i royally suck.
Honestly UU wasn't that bad with d-pad. I actually switched over from KBM at around try 50.

Dr. Buni

And people laugh at me when I say a good soundtrack is much more important than graphics.

It is much better than most JRPGs (the ones I have played anyways).

I just opened the game again after beating it (true pacifist). Yep, I'm never playing this game again.

Yeah, I wasn't particularly inclined to do the genocide path anyway, but seeing where the true ending leaves everything and what I'd have to do to play again guaranteed it.

FluxWaveZ

Yeah, I wasn't particularly inclined to do the genocide path anyway, but seeing where the true ending leaves everything and what I'd have to do to play again guaranteed it.

It is fulfilling, but I have to emphasize just how dramatically different the atmosphere and events are during a Genocide run. I didn't think the changes would be as significant as they are, but it's not some throwaway alternate route; it's practically its own game. Also informs a few things about the world that aren't covered in the True Pacifist route.

Undertale's probably the game that's made it feel the most genuinely evil to play that way, while taking the "evil" options in other games often feels comical or forgetful.

Felt oddly satisfying in a way, too...

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
It is fulfilling, but I have to emphasize just how dramatically different the atmosphere and events are during a Genocide run. I didn't think the changes would be as significant as they are, but it's not some throwaway alternate route; it's practically its own game. Also informs a few things about the world that aren't covered in the True Pacifist route.

Undertale's probably the game that's made it feel the most genuinely evil to play that way, while taking the "evil" options in other games often feels comical or forgetful.

Felt oddly satisfying in a way, too...

I found Genocide harrowing, but even if just for the genocide-only boss fights, it's a thing to run IMHO.

The last boss in particular is an achievement in storytelling by itself.

PK Gaming

tumblr_nxwto7umej1qhfpmwo1_1280.gif

source

Teknoman

I found Genocide harrowing, but even if just for the genocide-only boss fights, it's a thing to run IMHO.

The last boss in particular is an achievement in storytelling by itself.

I guess after I take a break for awhile...could try for it. You cant do a true full reset after doing Genocide right? But if you've already done Neutral and True Pacifist, does it really...matter?

EDIT: Burgerpants really reminds me of something from Ren and Stimpy.

Teknoman

I'm surprised there arent more remixes of Hopes and Dreams & SAVE the World. If there is one track thats brimming with determination, its that.

I'm surprised there arent more remixes of Hopes and Dreams & SAVE the World. If there is one track thats brimming with determination, its that.
Agreed. I've had it randomly playing in my head ever since I completed the Pacifist run. It's so pretty. <3

The world is ending.

Dr. Buni

god megalovania is so sick
Yeah, I love it. Though it is only second to my favorite track in the game, which is
"ASGORE"
. It just fits that particular battle so beautifully. I wish
Undyne's
boss theme was a bit better, though. It's not bad, but imo it is not on the same level as Megalovania, Heartache, the other track I mentioned, Spider Dance and even Death by Glamour perhaps.

Yeah, I love it. Though it is only second to my favorite track in the game, which is
"ASGORE"
Oh yes. Listening to
Bergentrückung + ASGORE
right now and I'm flooded with all these FEELINGS. ;_;

I read somewhere that Toby Fox largely composed the soundtrack first and wrote the encounters based on the songs? It would make a lot of sense.

Richie

I did the true pacifist run and it was too awesome for words.

However I forgot to call Toriel "mom" which I'm almost sure would have been referenced later. If indeed referenced later, what is said in regards to this? Can't get enough of this game's dialogue.

I did the true pacifist run and it was too awesome for words.

However I forgot to call Toriel "mom" which I'm almost sure would have been referenced later. If indeed referenced later, what is said in regards to this? Can't get enough of this game's dialogue.
basically everyone laughs it off

Mask_Salesman_rage.gif~c200

I've tried about 30 times to beat the last Genocide boss. I think, he wooped my ass so many times that he stopped counting. At least this music is godly. I'm going to win eventually though, that's the meta. If I give up then the game wins.

Dr. Buni

Oh yes. Listening to
Bergentrückung + ASGORE
right now and I'm flooded with all these FEELINGS. ;_;

I read somewhere that Toby Fox largely composed the soundtrack first and wrote the encounters based on the songs? It would make a lot of sense.
Yes ;_; I totally did not want to fight such a lovable character, especially with such an emotional song playing in the background. And I was going for a genocide run, so I... had to kill him >_>

I wish there were more games like this.

Scott667

I have a bit of a weird question, but does anyone know where the most common way to represent Undyne's ears in fanart/cosplay comes from? In the sprites, it seems like the fins are a single long outwards curve from top to bottom, but 95% of fanart shows it as multiple inward facing curves.
Obviously everyone is allowed to draw things as they'd like, but I'm curious why the off-model interpretation became more widespread than the seemingly canonical one.

Sprite:

How I see it:

How everyone else sees it:

Pics just found at random on google. I couldn't draw if my life depended on it

I have a bit of a weird question, but does anyone know where the most common way to represent Undyne's ears in fanart/cosplay comes from? In the sprites, it seems like the fins are a single long outwards curve from top to bottom, but 95% of fanart shows it as multiple inward facing curves.
Obviously everyone is allowed to draw things as they'd like, but I'm curious who the off-model interpretation became more widespread than the seemingly canonical one.

Sprite:

How I see it:

She has webbed ears, and webbing usually has a slightly concave curve between bones in animals.

Obviously everyone is allowed to draw things as they'd like, but I'm curious who the off-model interpretation became more widespread than the seemingly canonical one.

Sprite:

How I see it:

Going by your examples, I thought this was going to be about her hair. She has darker and way more hair during the one scene at the dump in the pacifist run, which I assumed was a wig. Most of the fan art seems to give her a bunch of hair rather than keep it like Sasuke from Goemon. I never even noticed the ear thing until you brought it up.

Dez_

I just finished the game a few days ago. After hearing so much positive praise for this game, I really wanted to give this game a try, and I am totally glad I did. Incredibly enjoyable and refreshing, and a really nice change of pace from all the bigger budget titles I've been playing. I was enjoying it from the beginning, but it was from about the halfway point and beyond where I really got into it
I think this was the boss fight against the mad dummy and beyond.
The game's soundtrack is incredibly amazing as well, I have many different tunes stuck in my head for a while now. I'm very impressed that this was mostly done by one person.

I got the neutral ending first time through.
I couldn't figure out how to spare Toriel, since I thought I could chip her health down low and go from there. Whoops! I basically played the game, sparing a good amount of enemies in the beginning, but then started fighting more as the game went on. Ended up killing Toriel, Undyne and Mettaton. That Flowey final boss though. Wow! Breaking the fourth wall and having them use save states against you made for a pretty creative and memorable encounter.

Been going back to try the pacifist run. Been an enjoyable challenge. I'm kind of glad I didn't first attempt this, because I haven't been great at dodging most attacks, so staying at lv 1 would have probably frustrated me too much. I'm finally made back
to the hotlands. I just did the cooking session with Undyne.
The writing in this game is really well done and funny. I'm looking forward to playing some more when I have the chance.

Top Bottom