• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Undertale |OT| Indie RPG with determination and spider bake sales

Wow, I just played this through in the last two days. Absolutely stellar. I kept hearing how great this game is but despite adoring Mother I put this one in the "play later" pile. It just kept bugging me recently and I finally gave it a try. So happy that I did, it's truly incredible. I'll need to think it over a little more, but it could definitely be one of my favourite games ever. It stands right next to Mother in my eyes.

I went Pacifist right away, because it was way more interesting and fun than killing. I was loving the game the entire way up to the Neutral ending, which really soured me on the game.
The interface screw with god Flowey felt overwrought and the conclusion was super unsatisfying.
I almost put away the game in disappointment right there, but I'm glad that I went back and got the Perfect ending because it was way more satisfying and flipped my opinion back over to adoration.

Weiss

Banned
Forgive me for I have sinned.

I killed Toriel and Papyrus, went around Snowdin talking to everyone about how sad they suddenly felt, and now Sans is gone.

You know that part in the Genocide route where
Flowey talks about how he's exhausted every single possibility in the Underground through countless loops and just wants it all to end? I'm starting to understand that thought process.

However I forgot to call Toriel "mom" which I'm almost sure would have been referenced later. If indeed referenced later, what is said in regards to this? Can't get enough of this game's dialogue.

If you ask to call her mom and then flirt with you, she tells a scandalized story to the other characters about it.

Just i... just wanted to say:
I beat
Undyne the Undying
It took 109 tries. I'm pretty happy about it.
Going back through the thread looking for silly Youtube videos and the like and I come across your post. It fills me with determination.

I've been stuck on her boss fight for a week now. 5 or 6 attempts every day. I get so close but the final stages of the fight where she keeps spamming the circling spears destroys me...

Layell

So does anyone think hard mode will be completed at some point, or is that just next level trolling? One cool idea I had is that the final boss of hard mode could be
Chara, whom you try to save in a pacifist hard run mode, or some evil demon Chara in genocide when you try to fight back. There must be some reason the name to unlock it is Frisk after all!

Weiss

Banned
So I tried a Neutral No Mercy playthrough, never sparing anything, and thought of it like I approach other games; if it says to kill something, then I do it.

It was a dreary and miserable experience. I never got to know any of the characters, I never got to have any of the interesting conversations, the monsters were all just packs of numbers for me to hack away at.

I just rushed through as fast as possible killing things and it never meant anything to me.

fhqwhgads

So does anyone think hard mode will be completed at some point, or is that just next level trolling? One cool idea I had is that the final boss of hard mode could be
Chara, whom you try to save in a pacifist hard run mode, or some evil demon Chara in genocide when you try to fight back. There must be some reason the name to unlock it is Frisk after all!
I think Toby mentioned recently that his only further plans for the game are bug fixes, so it seems like hard mode is going to be up to the modders at this point.

CIA

Banned

I think Toby had plans to finish Hard mode and do DLC before the game blew up like crazy and the fanbase started creating potential encounters themselves which kind of sapped Toby's will to keep working on the game

I can believe him when he says he's not planning any more content on Twitter because the fanbase has basically created their own finished version of the game at this point

FluxWaveZ

There won't be a Hard mode, and I don't think there should be a Hard mode. Like many things in the game, its purpose at the start of the game is conceptual and a commentary on "Hard modes" in RPGs.

And sorry, but that story idea doesn't sound great at all.

I can believe him when he says he's not planning any more content on Twitter because the fanbase has basically created their own finished version of the game at this point

The game is fine as it is and is self-contained. Why would a creator ever want to risk damaging that with DLC or extra free content for a game that really doesn't need it? I heavily doubt it's because of the fanbase, but because Undertale is just not a game you do that with, no matter how much fans would want more of it.

PSqueak

Banned
I think Toby had plans to finish Hard mode and do DLC before the game blew up like crazy and the fanbase started creating potential encounters themselves which kind of sapped Toby's will to keep working on the game

Well, i kinda don't think this is the reason for why he might never finish hard mode, but i do believe him when he says there won't be finished hard mode.

Tho i think he should add an actual Metatton Neo fight, something about the encounter feels like it was planned but dropped for some reason (perhaps time constraints).

The game is fine as it is and is self-contained. Why would a creator ever want to risk damaging that with DLC or extra free content for a game that really doesn't need it? I heavily doubt it's because of the fanbase, but because Undertale is just not a game you do that with, no matter how much fans would want more of it.

Disagree to a point with this, there definitely is room for DLC/extra content in the game (See: Metatton Neo fight comment), but what i don't think there is room for is prequels or sequels.

FluxWaveZ

Tho i think he should add an actual Metatton Neo fight, something about the encounter feels like it was planned but dropped for some reason (perhaps time constraints).

Maybe, but I don't think an actual fight with Mettaton NEO would have made sense.
Frisk + Chara are tearing through everything during that route. The only real first roadblock is Undyne—who also dies in one hit—because she's the heroine and acquires the world's determination.

The way I see it, Mettaton NEO was quickly upgraded for emergency precautions when Alphys realized a human was destroying their world. That's why he looks all crazy when you go against him in the Genocide route as opposed to the Pacifist route, and the point of destroying him so quickly is to show that an "evolved, super version" second-boss-like enemy will just get annihilated immediately in the human's path, like anything else. Also a bit of comedy to it.

Disagree to a point with this, there definitely is room for DLC/extra content in the game (See: Metatton Neo fight comment), but what i don't think there is room for is prequels or sequels.

I hate the idea of DLC or extra content to this game. Highly unnecessary, and Toby should have no reason to do it for free "just because." If there was extra content, it would be as paid DLC, and that would be even worse.

saturnine

I've been a fan of Toby Fox for years because of his Homestuck tracks. I backed the kickstarter because the demo was incredible (and that boss music nngh).

I had the game sitting in my hard drive since release, but I didn't feel like playing it. I guess I was afraid it might turn out disappointing?

Finally started it yesterday. Well I was wrong. Very wrong. Played through the game in a single day, a big grin plastered on my face the whole time. Did a mercy run, looked online, reloaded my save, did the "true" ending. Animu as fuck ahahah, but I'm fine with that.

Magical game, already a classic, damn.

Toby Fox, you're a pretty cool dude.

Saikyo

Started a
no mercy run
yesterday I tried 15 times vs
Undyne
without using
snowman parts
that a lot people recommend for this boss oops.

After that tried
2 times against Sans
and stopped, lets see how many before I win or give up haha.

Syril

I always it was just trolling because since Frisk's name is part of a big reveal, the story wouldn't make sense if characters were using it for Chara. The normal "invalid name" messages wouldn't work since those are all in-character, and on the off chance that someone enters Frisk by sheer coincidence, having it be the password to an "unfinished" hard mode deflects the suspicion that might arise if it was just rejected for mysterious reasons.

MrBadger

I don't think I've ever said "are you fucking kidding me?" out loud as often as I have while
fighting Sans.
This boss is just nuts, especially when he starts
attacking you while you're on the menu

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
I don't think I've ever said "are you fucking kidding me?" out loud as often as I have while
fighting Sans.
This boss is just nuts, especially when he starts
attacking you while you're on the menu

He just plays by his own rules.
Every scrap of thing he can use within the game's 'hard' rules - no bullshit with soft rules.

Dimmle

I'd love a full hard mode but I totally understand Toby's desire to work on something new after pouring himself into Undertale for 2 years.

DNAbro

I love the idea of more Undertale content but there is not a need for it. If Toby wanted to do it that would be awesome but he doesn't need to. Game is near perfect how it is. Even things like
Gaster
don't really need to be explained or expanded upon cause it is supposed to be mysterious and unexplained.

I'm much more excited to see what Toby is going to do next anyways.

Dr. Buni

This game is fine as it is. No DLC, no sequels, no prequels. It's perfect. Please don't risk ruining it with any kind of extra content.

Imo Toby should do something else. He proved to be VERY talented with Undertale, after all.

Ilvocare

I agree the game is relatively complete but I'm still glad he left open those avenues for additional content -
most obviously with what's behind the Snowdin door

Sure, what's there is a complete game, but I wouldn't say no to the stuff proposed within the game itself about possible expansions.

Especially since Hard mode can use the "hellish state of the world" to rewrite the story ever so slightly.

After all, RG03 and RG04 are inside of those files, just waiting...

MrBadger

I agree the game is relatively complete but I'm still glad he left open those avenues for additional content -
most obviously with what's behind the Snowdin door

Sure, what's there is a complete game, but I wouldn't say no to the stuff proposed within the game itself about possible expansions.

Especially since Hard mode can use the "hellish state of the world" to rewrite the story ever so slightly.

After all, RG03 and RG04 are inside of those files, just waiting...

I'm pretty sure there's a way to open that door. I think you have to avoid all the end credits?

I don't want any more content and I've not really had any interest in
Gaster theories, because they remind me too much of how Five Nights at Freddy's played out.
The game's a very complete product.

Ilvocare

I'm pretty sure there's a way to open that door. I think you have to avoid all the end credits?

Oh, I already know exactly what's behind the door. I did my credit-dodging time. Like, behind that door the idea of "patching" the game is put forward in relatively explicit terms.

I don't want any more content and I've not really had any interest in
Gaster theories, because they remind me too much of how Five Nights at Freddy's played out.
The game's a very complete product.

Sure. I can take or leave that stuff, but there's obvious in-game (and not hidden away in the code) avenues for expansion that Toby clearly left open just in case. Being complete doesn't necessarily imply that adding more means you were incomplete all along, you know?

Zubz

Banned
Again, I think the game is fantastic as is, and that Toby should definitely do something else instead of an Undertale 2. But at the same time, I love the characters and still kind of want to see them in something else a little while after the game's hype has died down. Like, maybe not right now, but maybe just a small project a year or 2 down the line about
the characters before they met Frisk, or maybe even adapting to their lives post-Pacifist Ending
. It doesn't even have to be a game at all; so long as they never touch
Gaster
, I'd get excited over it.

I know the Kickstarter mentioned that he'd make a few short comics as a stretch goal; is there any word on what they are/if they're already out?

DNAbro

Again, I think the game is fantastic as is, and that Toby should definitely do something else instead of an Undertale 2. But at the same time, I love the characters and still kind of want to see them in something else a little while after the game's hype has died down. Like, maybe not right now, but maybe just a small project a year or 2 down the line about
the characters before they met Frisk, or maybe even adapting to their lives post-Pacifist Ending
. It doesn't even have to be a game at all; so long as they never touch
Gaster
, I'd get excited over it.

I know the Kickstarter mentioned that he'd make a few short comics as a stretch goal; is there any word on what they are/if they're already out?

Not out yet, Toby is supposedly writing them out now. Will be comedy focused and non-canon.

Saikyo

And I am done with this game, hope the next project from Toby have the same quality as this one.

Slayed Sans with 9 tries and saw the last ending.

Well, finished the true pacifist ending yesterday and oh boy... This is definitely my game of the year which is saying a lot considering the calibre of games released this year in particular. This is one of those games that just makes an emotional impact you'll never forget. Last game that did this to me was Braid and before that it was Planescape: Torment. So yeah, we're in the big leagues.

Puruzi

Banned
Hkt1NOL.png

DNAbro

Finally completed a genocide run.

At one point i had to restart the run to get better items to fight Undyne cause I was struggling big time. After getting better items and coming back I beat her on my first try.

I think Sans took me like 25-ish tries or something. Super fun fight. Also I am resetting before going fully through with it.

Need to do Pacifist again now lol

I backed up just in case, but just I bailed out right up against the end of a genocide run. I had a lot of deaths at you-know-what and I was gradually getting better at it, lasting a good 2/3 of the way through, but... I didn't want it anymore, and I started up one more pacifist run to set things right (or as right as I can).

It feels pretty damn stupid typing it out, but I kinda genuinely feel that. Closest feeling I've had in a game is with Gone Home, where I was compelled to walk back through the house after the end, now seeing it in an entirely different light, and turn off lights, close doors, and return to my room.

This is a pretty cool thing.

DNAbro

Papyrus single handedly stopped my Genocide run.

Oddly enough I didn't really feel bad at that part. I guess cause I watched a video first. The parts that actually bothered me a bit were really minor things.

Taking all the pieces of the snowman and him asking you to stop.
The bunny shop keepers note asking you to not hurt her family.
The sound of hurting lesser dog.
Fighting the RG1 and RG2, then inspecting them where it said "I see two lovers staring over the edge of the cauldron of hell." something about that unsettled me.

So basically, I want to play Undertale but after looking at Steam's website, it says not to run the game on OS El Capitan (I have a mac) which is the OS I'm currently using. On their twitter they said if you buy it from the official Undertale website, it should work.

So basically I'm wondering:

1. Has anyone on El Capitan bought it and got it to work (from the official site not from Steam)

2. i live in the UK, and the only pricing is in dollars so will there be a transaction charge or anything like that?

Thanks for any help

dock

I just picked this up on Steam, and I intend to give it another try. I had a pretty bad time with the demo in the past, largely with some confusion over the mechanics compounded by so many random battles and random dodging bullet hell.

Are there hidden items I should seek out for an easier time?
I'm interested in having a much easier time, because I dread suffering these bullet hell sections more than I need to. How can I get as much health as possible?

I don't intend to play through it more than once, but I gather a pacifist run is too difficult. Any advice? Just avoid killing as much as possible, but kill a handful of tricky ones?

Also, does this game support Steam save file syncing? It seems pretty long so I might want to switch between my home PC and playing on my laptop.

If I still have a bad time after 90 mins or so I'll probably request a Steam refund.

If you're worried about difficulty just play normally. The "special" runs require you to go out of your way for them so just play it like you would any other JRPG.

dock

If you're worried about difficulty just play normally. The "special" runs require you to go out of your way for them so just play it like you would any other JRPG.

I don't play many jrpgs, and I have never played Earthbound, and of course the no killing is appealing, so I don't think I have a 'normally'.

fhqwhgads

I just picked this up on Steam, and I intend to give it another try. I had a pretty bad time with the demo in the past, largely with some confusion over the mechanics compounded by so many random battles and random dodging bullet hell.

Are there hidden items I should seek out for an easier time?
I'm interested in having a much easier time, because I dread suffering these bullet hell sections more than I need to. How can I get as much health as possible?

I don't intend to play through it more than once, but I gather a pacifist run is too difficult. Any advice? Just avoid killing as much as possible, but kill a handful of tricky ones?

Also, does this game support Steam save file syncing? It seems pretty long so I might want to switch between my home PC and playing on my laptop.

If I still have a bad time after 90 mins or so I'll probably request a Steam refund.

Keep a hold of the stick weapon at the start of the game. You can use it to instantly spare dog enemies

The Temmie Village will help you out a lot. It's the only place in the game where you can sell items, so you'll hopefully never have issues with money

The Temmie Village also has the Temmie Armour, it costs a ton of money but it's essentially god mode armour in case you're struggling with battles. It goes down in price every time you get a game over. To have the option to buy it, you'll need to spend 1000 gold though.

If you sleep at Hotels it'll not only heal you fully, but will also buff your health up beyond the normal maximum. Also, you can get more max health by leveling up, so if you really need more health you can always kill enough enemies to level yourself up.

You can run away from battles as well if you're struggling with enemies, it will still count as a pacifist run if you don't directly spare every enemy and run from some.

It doesn't say anything on the Steam store page about the syncing, so I'd assume it's not a feature.

fhqwhgads

Also some notes about the boss fights, though they're spoilerish

The first two boss fights are not proper boss fights per say. The first boss' attacks purposely avoid you if you get to low enough health and the second boss will never kill you, only end the fight once you're at low enough health. Also, if you lose at the second boss three times, you have the option to skip the fight.

The third boss of the game is about the first difficult boss fight of the game, but by then it's halfway through the game so you should be prepared by then.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Is it necessary to write all that out for a player going into the game? Part of the appeal of Undertale is discovery.

From their posts before I think that info is what they need to actually get through it. Normally I'd be against it but it seems necessary in this case.

Top Bottom