• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Undertale |OT| Indie RPG with determination and spider bake sales

Is it necessary to write all that out for a player going into the game? Part of the appeal of Undertale is discovery.
The poster is asking for it, if he/she wants to play the game like that then that's their call. It's better to just play however you feel like anyways.

dock

Is it necessary to write all that out for a player going into the game? Part of the appeal of Undertale is discovery.

I had a really bumpy time playing through the demo, and had a pretty awful time as a result. I'm all for discovery but I'm coming into my third attempt at playing the game with a sense of dread. I appreciate a few pointers so I don't have my time wasted and end up ditching the game.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Keep a hold of the stick weapon at the start of the game. You can use it to instantly spare dog enemies

The Temmie Village will help you out a lot. It's the only place in the game where you can sell items, so you'll hopefully never have issues with money

The Temmie Village also has the Temmie Armour, it costs a ton of money but it's essentially god mode armour in case you're struggling with battles. It goes down in price every time you get a game over. To have the option to buy it, you'll need to spend 1000 gold though.

If you sleep at Hotels it'll not only heal you fully, but will also buff your health up beyond the normal maximum. Also, you can get more max health by leveling up, so if you really need more health you can always kill enough enemies to level yourself up.

You can run away from battles as well if you're struggling with enemies, it will still count as a pacifist run if you don't directly spare every enemy and run from some.

It doesn't say anything on the Steam store page about the syncing, so I'd assume it's not a feature.

Also worth noting that
Temmie armor is not available in a Genocide run.

FluxWaveZ

Yeah, it's fine as long as that's what dock wants. It just seems antithetical to the intended playstyle of the game and why people enjoyed it so much. But, indeed, there is a lot more to it than that.

I had a really bumpy time playing through the demo, and had a pretty awful time as a result. I'm all for discovery but I'm coming into my third attempt at playing the game with a sense of dread. I appreciate a few pointers so I don't have my time wasted and end up ditching the game.

I'm not sure you should take the demo as demonstrative of the full game, in this case.

Though, I haven't looked into how exactly the demo is structured, so it could just be the same thing.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Yeah, it's fine as long as that's what dock wants. It just seems antithetical to the intended playstyle of the game and why people enjoyed it so much. But, indeed, there is a lot more to it than that.

I'm not sure you should take the demo as demonstrative of the full game, in this case.

Though, I haven't looked into how exactly the demo is structured, so it could just be the same thing.

Going off what dock said before they're really not familiar with RPGs well enough to enjoy it without some guidance.

The demo is pretty much the same as the entire ruins section with small changes (besides removal of the dynamic manual.) Going into the full game The Ruins do have a higher encounter rate for a reason.

dock

Wait, is getting stuck and having trouble part of the regular game flow? I'm definitely up for discovery, but perhaps there's something about Undertale that's different?

Wait, is getting stuck and having trouble part of the regular game flow? I'm definitely up for discovery, but perhaps there's something about Undertale that's different?
Sometimes it is. This game has some uh peculiar moments. I haven't played the demo so I couldn't say if that's the case.

FluxWaveZ

No, a lot about Undertale are the intricacies of the encounters, and the little surprises in terms of gameplay.

It's also about subverting expectations on what one expects from it being an RPG through its mechanics. If you're not really familiar with the RPG genre, then those things wouldn't be relevant to you anyways.

Sometimes it is. This game has some uh peculiar moments. I haven't played the demo so I couldn't say if that's the case.

I can't say I ever got stuck or had trouble on my first playthrough.

Corpekata

Banned
Only way you'd get stuck is if you're like doing a specific ending right from the start. I can't imagine anyone getting stuck on a first playthrough.

dock

No, a lot about Undertale are the intricacies of the encounters, and the little surprises in terms of gameplay.

It's also about subverting expectations on what one expects from it being an RPG through its mechanics. If you're not really familiar with the RPG genre, then those things wouldn't be relevant to you anyways.
I've completed Final Fantasy 9, Shining Force 3, Shining the Holy Ark, and a handful of other RPGs, but never anything on the NES/SNES.
It's more that with Undertale it seems I am playing 'wrong'.

I can't say I ever got stuck or had trouble on my first playthrough.
/humblebrag ;(
but with that in mind it's more clear others are much better at bullet hell and managing whatever systems are in use here.

FluxWaveZ

/humblebrag ;(
but with that in mind it's more clear others are much better at bullet hell and managing whatever systems are in use here.

Look, this isn't a Souls game. This game is actually very simple; I would bet 90% of the players never got stuck or had trouble going through it the first time. Some of the combat encounters can be tough, of course, but that's it.

Not to dismiss difficulties others may have with the bullet hell, but this isn't supposed to be a difficult game.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Look, this isn't a Souls game. This game is actually very simple; I would bet 90% of the players never got stuck or had trouble going through it the first time. Some of the combat encounters can be tough, of course, but that's it.

Not to dismiss difficulties others may have with the bullet hell, but this isn't supposed to be a difficult game.

*Unless you're doing the special runs.
I found
genocide
VERY difficult. And
Pacifist
wasn't a breeze either.

FluxWaveZ

*Unless you're doing the special runs.
I found
genocide
VERY difficult. And
Pacifist
wasn't a breeze either.

Indeed, but I heavily doubt many players did
Genocide on their first run.

I went
Pacifist on mine, and that was definitely tougher than my Neutral route of killing everyone, but I still found it to be fairly easy with the exception of several boss fights.
Maybe that's where it'd no longer be that easy for most players.

Kinsei

Banned
Yeah, I find it odd people find Pacifist hard since I thought it was my easiest run.

I didn't have any spider items and I was out of money because I
had just sent Temmy to Cool Leg
when I fought
Muffet
. I was also playing on a 360 controller so I had some trouble. Ended up winning first try after switching to the keyboard though.

Moaradin

I want to do a Genocide run to see the extra content... but I loved my first run and the characters so it's pretty hard for me to do that.

maaaaaaaan

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I just did it right after and I'm kinda glad I did since I love certain characters more for their actions.
Also that video skips a lot of little things that change so it doesn't properly convey that path.

Teknoman

I want to do a Genocide run to see the extra content... but I loved my first run and the characters so it's pretty hard for me to do that.

maaaaaaaan

We all know that feel. Its funny that this game...the characters are more endearing/relatable than most big budget AAA story games.

Dr. Buni

I decided to not go for the genocide route, because I am not a fan of highly difficult games and the final boss+ of sorts would be too frustrating to beat. So I watched the fight on YouTube and damn, that's cool battle. This quote in particular said by the boss was really neat:

"Getting to the surface doesn't really appeal anymore, either. Cause even if we do... we'll just end up right back here, without any memory of it, right?"

You got it right, Sans. As a NPC you have little to no chance of beating the player character who can reload the game over and over again until they memorized your patterns and are good enough to beat you. I also appreciate how Sans tried alternate ways of winning, by trying to make the player think the game glitched or even trying to bore the player to death.

...I really like Sans (and pretty much every other character in the game) so seeing him struggling in that fight was a bit upsetting. :c

Alex

I decided to not go for the genocide route, because I am not a fan of highly difficult games and the final boss+ of sorts would be too frustrating to beat. So I watched the fight on YouTube and damn, that's cool battle. This quote in particular said by the boss was really neat:

"Getting to the surface doesn't really appeal anymore, either. Cause even if we do... we'll just end up right back here, without any memory of it, right?"

You got it right, Sans. As a NPC you have little to no chance of beating the player character who can reload the game over and over again until they memorized your patterns and are good enough to beat you. I also appreciate how Sans tried alternate ways of winning, by trying to make the player think the game glitched or even trying to bore the player to death.

...I really like Sans (and pretty much every other character in the game) so seeing him struggling in that fight was a bit upsetting. :c

Sans has memory of past time lines, like Flowey, but cannot completely control the flow of things like the human

I don't think Sans' little skips are supposed to be glitches though, despite the 4th wall abuse the game hurls out, just some form of little time skips. He has a lot of unexplained story what with the Gaster connections, how incredibly strong he is due to his powers (the game notes he is physically very weak but his ability to screw with time and the Gaster technology makes him stronger than a Determination infused Undyne). Also, in addition to the fact that he rarely actually walks anywhere to trave (which the game makes a big note of later on)l the game also notes he and Papyrus just showed up out of the blue one day.

If you're done with the core of it all, start looking into the secrets and stuff, the special rooms, the hidden backstories. Game has a significant amount of both easter eggs and background plot. None of it comes together in a full 100% manner but there's plenty enough for some amusing theories.

Usually I'm not too into this kinda stuff but Undertale made it really fun.

Dr. Buni

Sans has memory of past time lines, like Flowey, but cannot completely control the flow of things like the human

I don't think Sans' little skips are supposed to be glitches though, despite the 4th wall abuse the game hurls out, just some form of little time skips. He has a lot of unexplained story what with the Gaster connections, how incredibly strong he is due to his powers (the game notes he is physically very weak but his ability to screw with time and the Gaster technology makes him stronger than a Determination infused Undyne). Also, in addition to the fact that he rarely actually walks anywhere to travel the game notes he and Papyrus just showed up out of the blue one day.

If you're done with the core of it all, start looking into the secrets and stuff, the special rooms, the hidden backstories. Game has a significant amount of both easter eggs and background plot. None of it comes together in a full 100% manner but there's plenty enough for some amusing theories.

Usually I'm not too into this kinda stuff but Undertale made it really fun.
By glitches I was referring to this section of the fight: https://youtu.be/Vr4IYjeplJA?t=10m22s Maybe I misinterpreted what that was supposed to mean?

I still don't know who Gaster is tbh, but I am enjoying knowing more about the game as I progress through my pacifist playthrough. My first playthrough was a failed genocide attempt >_>

Zubz

Banned
I still don't know who Gaster is tbh, but I am enjoying knowing more about the game as I progress through my pacifist playthrough. My first playthrough was a failed genocide attempt >_>

You shouldn't.
Any and all things related to Gaster require messing with the game's files. Which makes sense, based on the backstory we're given on him.

Does he really? I was under the impression that he doesn't have any memories of the past, only that he knows that the human can reset and is good at looking for cues when they do.

dock

I continued playing after the ruins, and I'm having a pretty good time.
The ruins is pretty bad, imo. What a bad demo.

I'm really grateful for the tips I received (thanks fhqwhgads), as it helped me avoid wasting items and wasting time. I'm still somewhat wary of when or whether the game will waste my time as part of a joke or a puzzle, but my opinion has turned around considerably after the frankly awful experience I had with the demo.

Vhalyar

Finished the neutral and pacifist endings. Was good. Not sure if I have it in me to go down the genocide route, but at least it'd be a fitting way to end the game.

I'm surprised that Alphys
pretty much gets to walk away from having created the most horrific entity to ever exist - outside of the genocide protagonist

GoldStarz

Finished the neutral and pacifist endings. Was good. Not sure if I have it in me to go down the genocide route, but at least it'd be a fitting way to end the game.

pretty much gets to walk away from having created the most horrific entity to ever exist - outside of the genocide protagonist

It's not like she created Flowey or any of the Amalgamates on purpose, and she's got enough anxiety and guilt over what she did already, I'd hardly say she got to 'walk away' from this when she was suffering for so long.

Vhalyar

It's not like she created Flowey or any of the Amalgamates on purpose, and she's got enough anxiety and guilt over what she did already, I'd hardly say she got to 'walk away' from this when she was suffering for so long.

Yeah fair enough.
She mentions that she'll reveal to everyone what she did with the amalgates and face the consequences, but I'd hoped that she would say something more about Flowey.

The amalgamates are back with their families in the pacifist ending so Alphys had to face her demons and tell the truth and was probably forgiven

I continued playing after the ruins, and I'm having a pretty good time.
The ruins is pretty bad, imo. What a bad demo.

I'm really grateful for the tips I received (thanks fhqwhgads), as it helped me avoid wasting items and wasting time. I'm still somewhat wary of when or whether the game will waste my time as part of a joke or a puzzle, but my opinion has turned around considerably after the frankly awful experience I had with the demo.

Really glad to hear!!

The amalgamates are back with their families in the pacifist ending so Alphys had to face her demons and tell the truth and was probably forgiven

Most adorable Lovecraftian abominations ever

Zubz

Banned

She had no way of knowing that
the flower she was working on had the essence of Asriel, though. I can't remember if her goal was to inject a non-sapient life with determination or a soul, but she intended on doing something good for monsters. Besides, she suffered enough from the guilt over Flowey and the Amalgamates, made good with the latter, and if I recall correctly, she's stripped of her title in the Pacifist/one of the Neutral Endings

Also, I'm real disappointed that I'm the only
Endogeny
vote in that "Best Dog of 2015" thread.

Teknoman

She had no way of knowing that
the flower she was working on had the essence of Asriel, though. I can't remember if her goal was to inject a non-sapient life with determination or a soul, but she intended on doing something good for monsters. Besides, she suffered enough from the guilt over Flowey and the Amalgamates, made good with the latter, and if I recall correctly, she's stripped of her title in the Pacifist/one of the Neutral Endings

Endogeny

Should've been a shoe in since its all dogs in one.

That being said...maybe its too mind melting to win?

On a side note, anyone else equally creeped out by the humanoid in the bullet box? The one with the carnivore butterflies? The hell was that about?

Endogeny

Well that's not fair it's
like eight dogs in one.

Should've been a shoe in since its all dogs in one.

That being said...maybe its too mind melting to win?

On a side note, anyone else equally creeped out by the humanoid in the bullet box? The one with the carnivore butterflies? The hell was that about?

That first "attack" is the stuff of nightmares. It's also apparently known as the "everyman".

Also
Amalgamate
fanart! Found it on this Tumblr

Zubz

Banned
SOn a side note, anyone else equally creeped out by the humanoid in the bullet box? The one with the carnivore butterflies? The hell was that about?

Maybe it's supposed to just be
unsettling, or to show the creature's internal pain? I mean, it's one of the Amalgamates; everything about them's supposed to be unnerving. The butterflies could represent that the Reaper Bird itself feels like its components are just loud voices in its head, especially since it's the Amalgamate where all of its monologues share the same text bubble

like eight dogs in one.

Well, if they're counting D-Dog in that poll...

Ruff

Does he really? I was under the impression that he doesn't have any memories of the past, only that he knows that the human can reset and is good at looking for cues when they do.

Well he has that photograph of the pacifist ending in his room

Weiss

Banned
What I understood was that
Sans has some form of time manipulation powers, between his power to teleport and skip between his attacks, but nowhere near the level of Flowey and the protagonist. He's aware that time can be reset but he has no idea when it's going to happen and doesn't remember anything on resets.

I was randomly thinking about this game, as I do over the course of the day, and just was muddling about what actually happens in the game.

Due to the nice art style and combat system where it only shows a heart you kinda are disconnected from what is actually happening. Like I was thinking about what saving and resetting means, especially in the context of the
Flowey
and
Asriel
battle. And you're basically
a little kid getting killed in really terrible ways. Like even if you avoid every death in the game until the Flowey fight and never die once during it, you get hit with fire and bombs and vines and bullets and green weed monsters and even then the cutscene has him kill you. Legit break your soul and kill you and then bring you to life repeatedly over and over and over. Shooting you with a laser or tearing you apart with vines. And the Asriel fight has him hitting you with all these fucked up attacks like comets and swords and lasers and the universe. And then when he hits you with that last attack you're literally surviving it to the edge of death no matter how much it hurts.

Like that's seriously fucked up. The light-heartedness of the game and the disconnecting UI makes you forget that when you take damage or die you're a little kid getting the fucking shit kicked out of you.

Teknoman

like eight dogs in one.

That first "attack" is the stuff of nightmares. It's also apparently known as the "everyman".

Also
Amalgamate
fanart! Found it on this Tumblr

Just realized the black space represent dogs too. Thats pretty cool.

Maybe it's supposed to just be
unsettling, or to show the creature's internal pain? I mean, it's one of the Amalgamates; everything about them's supposed to be unnerving. The butterflies could represent that the Reaper Bird itself feels like its components are just loud voices in its head, especially since it's the Amalgamate where all of its monologues share the same text bubble

Well, if they're counting D-Dog in that poll...

That makes sense.

Kientin

I was randomly thinking about this game, as I do over the course of the day, and just was muddling about what actually happens in the game.

Due to the nice art style and combat system where it only shows a heart you kinda are disconnected from what is actually happening. Like I was thinking about what saving and resetting means, especially in the context of the
Flowey
and
Asriel
battle. And you're basically
a little kid getting killed in really terrible ways. Like even if you avoid every death in the game until the Flowey fight and never die once during it, you get hit with fire and bombs and vines and bullets and green weed monsters and even then the cutscene has him kill you. Legit break your soul and kill you and then bring you to life repeatedly over and over and over. Shooting you with a laser or tearing you apart with vines. And the Asriel fight has him hitting you with all these fucked up attacks like comets and swords and lasers and the universe. And then when he hits you with that last attack you're literally surviving it to the edge of death no matter how much it hurts.

Like that's seriously fucked up. The light-heartedness of the game and the disconnecting UI makes you forget that when you take damage or die you're a little kid getting the fucking shit kicked out of you.

It's definitely something I've thought about.
I've thought about the attacks not doing physical damage, but damage directly to your soul. However, in the end you are still enduring through some sort of harm that can very well get you killed and as such cause some sort of pain.

Really it all fits though. As light-hearted as the game is on the surface, you can feel the dark undertones throughout the whole game. There is an underlying unsettling feeling that is initially set by Flowey that never really goes away for the rest of the game. Sans near the core brought the feeling up strong again, but the first instance where I really felt unnerved was when I saw the coffins near the throne room with my name on it. That's when I was like, "My goodness they actually really want to kill me. A kid." Now that coffin was for the first child not Frisk, but that doesn't matter with the other coffins with other humans that were indeed killed.

These feelings are a reason I love the game and the feeling that there is something "wrong" else beneath the surface. I can be laughing one moment and feel unnerved the next.

Arcia

Banned
So I mentioned awhile ago that Undertale beat out Mass Effect 3 on GameFAQs "best game ever contest." It just beat Fallout 3 as well. http://www.gamefaqs.com/poll/6125-best-game-ever-day-19-round-2-fallout-3-vs-undertale

Kind of awesome. I'm happy to see this game get acknowledged in any way.

It's up against Super Mario World next. I love Undertale yet I'm not sure I love it more than Super Mario World. Undertale will probably not win, but it would be hilarious if it did though. So much butthurt today over Undertale beating Fallout 3:
CUh76nmWEAE2_N-.png:large

Teknoman

If they only knew how deep and dark the rabbit hole goes with Undertale... More attachment here to the characters and events than any big budget game recently.

It's definitely something I've thought about.
I've thought about the attacks not doing physical damage, but damage directly to your soul. However, in the end you are still enduring through some sort of harm that can very well get you killed and as such cause some sort of pain.

Really it all fits though. As light-hearted as the game is on the surface, you can feel the dark undertones throughout the whole game. There is an underlying unsettling feeling that is initially set by Flowey that never really goes away for the rest of the game. Sans near the core brought the feeling up strong again, but the first instance where I really felt unnerved was when I saw the coffins near the throne room with my name on it. That's when I was like, "My goodness they actually really want to kill me. A kid." Now that coffin was for the first child not Frisk, but that doesn't matter with the other coffins with other humans that were indeed killed.

These feelings are a reason I love the game and the feeling that there is something "wrong" else beneath the surface. I can be laughing one moment and feel unnerved the next.

Even when the shoe is on the other foot so to speak with the genocide route, that feeling is still there...

Top Bottom