• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Undertale |OT| Indie RPG with determination and spider bake sales

Ilvocare

It's up against Super Mario World next. I love Undertale yet I'm not sure I love it more than Super Mario World. Undertale will probably not win, but it would be hilarious if it did though. So much butthurt today over Undertale beating Fallout 3:
CUh76nmWEAE2_N-.png:large

I want this post framed on my wall, it's so beautiful.

DNAbro

It's up against Super Mario World next. I love Undertale yet I'm not sure I love it more than Super Mario World. Undertale will probably not win, but it would be hilarious if it did though. So much butthurt today over Undertale beating Fallout 3:

Yeah I can see Super Mario World beating it pretty easily. It's a fantastic game so I wouldn't be upset, would disagree with it though.

Undertale is weird in a way that my opinion of it only gets better over time. 2 months out it has dethroned Persona 4 Golden in my mind as my favorite RPG and second favorite game. Which is absolutely insane cause I was thinking only Persona 5 would have that capability.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.

PSqueak

Banned

I helped spread a campaing to up vote Undertale on my tumblr blog just based entirely on how much that screenshot made me laugh.

Edit:

oh wow! Look at this!

Can't make this up!

A bad time run is horrifing, distressing, and overall a terrible experience for everyone involved. However, there are 2 amazing components to it. The fantastic music, and (a trope refering to the story)
The Apocalypse Brings Out the Best in People

I also enjoy the challenge, but I'm the kind of person who delights in the abuse of power.

I have no idea why but this reminds me of all those Trypnophobia pictures.
Trypalomania.
It's a little unsettling now that you mention it.
I'd buy a Sans salt shaker or condiment dispenser in an instant though.

Fishlake

Wow I didn't even realize it was up. I'll probably vote for Undertale over Mario World but both are fantastic games. I want to see it go far.

I decided against doing a genocide run because I was too lazy to go through the game a 3rd time.

And, after completing the pacifist run,
everything felt right in the world.

Genocide run doesn't take that long.

You will spend more time fighting Sans then getting to him.

The Genocide run made me like the game even more, especially seeing how it changes depending on if you do Genocide first or Pacifist.

kewlmyc

People take their stupid internet polls seriously.

Moaradin

I didn't want to do a Genocide run since I loved my first run so much, but after a few days I was itching for more. This is really different though. Right from the beginning. It isn't like 90% of the game is the same and the last few minutes are different.

This is pretty rough though lol. Guess I have an excuse to play a third time!

I hope it's not port begging, I own the game on Steam and it is one of my favorite games this year. But is there any indication that this is ever going to consoles/handhelds?

Meia

I hope it's not port begging, I own the game on Steam and it is one of my favorite games this year. But is there any indication that this is ever going to consoles/handhelds?

None, and I really don't think it works. This is a game that has to store save data and things of that nature in areas you can't access readily(which is just the tip of the iceburg in terms of what this game does with it's narrative), so you'd lose a bit.

People say 999 is the same way, in terms of why it shouldn't be ported. Those people have a point, and yet the reasons are bigger for why this shouldn't be.

Hyoukokun

None, and I really don't think it works. This is a game that has to store save data and things of that nature in areas you can't access readily(which is just the tip of the iceburg in terms of what this game does with it's narrative), so you'd lose a bit.

People say 999 is the same way, in terms of why it shouldn't be ported. Those people have a point, and yet the reasons are bigger for why this shouldn't be.

999 got a port (to iOS) anyway... though I've heard that the port does indeed lose a fair bit of what made the original special, including cutting all of the actual puzzle content. No idea how they'd have approached that one bit from near the ending (you know the one).

I wonder how that guy is going to feel when he realizes that his posts going viral are inevitably going to be a direct contributor to the game's success in that tournament.

I just can't do genocide knowing that it
permanently destroys any happy ending you'll have afterwards. I really adore the idea that it has lasting, irreparable consequences though.

dralla

uh, I'm at the last fight and have no healing items and no money to buy any. I went back into a dungeon area and there are no more monsters so I can't get gold..soo I have no idea what to do

uh, I'm at the last fight and have no healing items and no money to buy any. I went back into a dungeon area and there are no more monsters so I can't get gold..soo I have no idea what to do

If you aren't talking genocide, the fight is pretty simple. Just memorize the patterns, and grab the noodles from the fridge still if you didn't. You really shouldn't need any money to beat him. Check your boxes, see if you still have stuff in there.

Roussow

So, I've had this game since around launch. I haven't played it yet -- well actually, that's not true, I played like 15 minutes and have absolutely nothing to say about the game one way or another. Since that first 15 minutes and now, such a huge wave of fandom and expectation has amassed. It's going to be hard for me to jump into this game and not have my playthrough dictated by this genocide/pacifist/neutral ending stuff, it's going to be hard for me to playthrough this naturally. I'm just going to have to set some time aside for this one, I don't think there's a game in recent memory that has had so much pressure on it's shoulders, it's unfair to walk into Undertale with so much baggage, but we'll soon see if it delivers.

One last actual question -- How long is it?

dralla

I used the money on healing items and spending the night in the hotel, and that $600 key :( I currently have 30 bucks, so I can't really do much. I'm not killing anyone either so I'm only at 20HP.

Corpekata

Banned
So, I've had this game since around launch. I haven't played it yet -- well actually, that's not true, I played like 15 minutes and have absolutely nothing to say about the game one way or another. Since that first 15 minutes and now, such a huge wave of fandom and expectation has amassed. It's going to be hard for me to jump into this game and not have my playthrough dictated by this genocide/pacifist/neutral ending stuff, it's going to be hard for me to playthrough this naturally. I'm just going to have to set some time aside for this one, I don't think there's a game in recent memory that has had so much pressure on it's shoulders, it's unfair to walk into Undertale with so much baggage, but we'll soon see if it delivers.

7-10ish hours

It's like 8-12 hours.

Ok maybe I am just slow

I used the money on healing items and spending the night in the hotel, and that $600 key :( I currently have 30 bucks, so I can't really do much. I'm not killing anyone either so I'm only at 20HP.

Ok. Did you find the Temmie shop? You can sell shit there.

Syril

6-10 hours. I had 11 hours when I was done when I was constantly going out of my way to trigger extra dialogue and look for secrets.

DNAbro

I think enemies still spawn in hotland. Either that there is a money trick by buying the cloudy glasses at Turtle Guy's and going to Temmie Village to sell them. Then just walk back and forth till more money.

Do you have the dog residue item with you by any chance? It's a slow process, but you can infinitely sell it to the Temmie shop.

Top Bottom