• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Undertale |OT| Indie RPG with determination and spider bake sales

Kuro

Completed neutral and pacifist. Not sure what all the praise is for. Game was okay. I really like the characters and while the story was really short it was well done but the general gameplay and environments were really bland. The little easter eggs were pretty cool too. I'm just kind of confused by the critical reception its receiving. Music was A++ though.

Completed neutral and pacifist. Not sure what all the praise is for. Game was okay. I really like the characters and while the story was really short it was well done but the general gameplay and environments were really bland. The little easter eggs were pretty cool too. I'm just kind of confused by the critical reception its receiving. Music was A++ though.

Are you sure you actually finished the pacifist ending? There are several "fake" endings along the way. If you did, I guess the game's themes just don't resonate with you on an emotional level, and that's fine of course. It really hit close to home for me though.

Krabboss

As somebody who is entirely burnt out by AAA games becoming more and more bloated, I had a lot of fun with the simple mechanics of Undertale. The battles were pretty creative, usually.

A-V-B

Now do genocide.

batfax

Not far off how I felt. I genuinely enjoyed it, but I'm not about to call it my favorite game ever or anything. I hope other games learn from it though. The amount of reactivity and meaningful differences in violence and non-violence were extremely enjoyable. I liked the battle system too, since it made nonviolence more fun than fiddling with menus or something.

Haunted

I thought the bullet hell mechanics and individually coloured attacks depending on the enemy type were really clever.

I don't praise it as highly as the clearly devoted fanbase, but I've come to appreciate the game more over time as I reflect on its cleverness.

1upsuper

Different stuff really resonates with different people. I'm not sure why that's confusing? I can't agree that the general gameplay was bland though. Responding to enemy attacks in bullet hell-form is very novel for this genre, and the attacks characterized the enemies so well.

So is there much chance of this game showing up on PS4 or Vita?

I only ask because I never game on my laptop, but I'm interested in this and if it's pretty much the only way I'll play it I'll go ahead and buy it.

Ruff

So is there much chance of this game showing up on PS4 or Vita?

I only ask because I never game on my laptop, but I'm interested in this and if it's pretty much the only way I'll play it I'll go ahead and buy it.

Most likely not. Game maker games can't port over to consoles AFAIK and the game does stuff that it can only do on PC mechanically speaking.

No. With the way the game uses your save data I don't think it is possible.

Most likely not. Game maker games can't port over to consoles AFAIK and the game does stuff that it can only do on PC mechanically speaking.

Ok, I shall buy it sometime soon then!

How's it control? I don't even own a mouse for my laptop, should I connect my PS4 controller or is it fine with just the keyboard?

Corpekata

Banned
Ok, I shall buy it sometime soon then!

How's it control? I don't even own a mouse for my laptop, should I connect my PS4 controller or is it fine with just the keyboard?

It doesn't actually even use the mouse. Keyboard or controller is fine, I preferred the latter.

It has pretty simple controls in general though.

Dr. Buni

The gameplay was bland? Hm... Opinions, I guess.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
just started the game yesterday - only 2 hours in but you can really tell the game was made with a lot of love.

the music is incredible, the dogs are great.

going through without killing anything, hopefully i can wrap the game up before the Thanksgiving family mayhem starts!

question RE: game length - how long will the game run if i go through fairly briskly and don't kill anything?

DNAbro

just started the game yesterday - only 2 hours in but you can really tell the game was made with a lot of love.

the music is incredible, the dogs are great.

going through without killing anything, hopefully i can wrap the game up before the Thanksgiving family mayhem starts!

question RE: game length - how long will the game run if i go through fairly briskly and don't kill anything?

I would say 7-10 hours for the true ending.

Gaspard

And why is it the true ending? Does the game imply that or just because fans prefer that ending, suddenly it became the true ending?

Hopefully it's the former.

Game implies it since you get
an awesome staff credits scene
in that ending.

Among other things.

And why is it the true ending? Does the game imply that or just because fans prefer that ending, suddenly it became the true ending?

I would say it's kind of both, actually. But it's easy to see why it's widely regarded as the "True" ending, it certainly earns it, doesn't at all feel arbitrary (it, in fact, fucking rocks).

It's not there right now, but it warms my black little heart to see the game popping back up into the top sellers list every few days.

The game
actually discourages you from wiping your save/restarting when you open it up after seeing the credits.

Spent a few hours on it. Got to what I assume is the halfway point a couple times. Took 20 attempts.

Will try more tomorrow.

Here's a tip for you -

When he starts sweating and asks to stop fighting, use that chance to heal up. You can heal and it won't advance the fight. It is your one respite.

Moaradin

After many hours, I finally beat it. Never really got super frustrated though, since I thought it was a really fun fight and the music kicked ass.

It took 49 attempts. Wish I kept track of the time. Probably 5-6 hours?
Undyne the Undying almost made me throw my controller though. It wasn't nearly as hard and it didn't take me nearly as long, but I fucking suck at those reverse arrows. Never got used to them. Even after I beat her.

lt519

Wow what an incredible game. Extremely bizarre and refreshing. I got the "good" ending and while it was really neat I much more enjoyed the journey of the game leading up to the different endings than anything else. The music was great, the writing was fun, and the "combat "system was fantastic. It took a lot of processing to really understand what the "good" ending actually meant, I'd like to play through it again now knowing what the whole story was. The plot really didn't matter so much as the message to me.

If you are all talking about the fight at the end with as far as how many tries it took,
the fight against Asgore in a neutral 20 HP run
it actually only took me 4 tries. I found each move mostly unstoppable but was stocked up on healing items and was able to weather the storm.

If you are all talking about the fight at the end with as far as how many tries it took,
it actually only took me 4 tries. I found each move mostly unstoppable but was stocked up on healing items and was able to weather the storm.
People are referring to one of the extra bosses you fight in a No Mercy run. These bosses are quite a few steps harder than the rest, with one in particular being pretty brutal.

MrBadger

After many hours, I finally beat it. Never really got super frustrated though, since I thought it was a really fun fight and the music kicked ass.

It took 49 attempts. Wish I kept track of the time. Probably 5-6 hours?
Undyne the Undying almost made me throw my controller though. It wasn't nearly as hard and it didn't take me nearly as long, but I fucking suck at those reverse arrows. Never got used to them. Even after I beat her.

Eventually, I just realised that
the reverse arrows follow the exact same pattern (or at least a fairly obvious one) every time so I gave up trying to see which way they were facing and just did it by memory. Undyne the Undying is still a massive pain, though. Not Sans level, but not as fun as Sans either

DNAbro

Wow what an incredible game. Extremely bizarre and refreshing. I got the "good" ending and while it was really neat I much more enjoyed the journey of the game leading up to the different endings than anything else. The music was great, the writing was fun, and the "combat "system was fantastic. It took a lot of processing to really understand what the "good" ending actually meant, I'd like to play through it again now knowing what the whole story was. The plot really didn't matter so much as the message to me.

so I take it you
didn't see the true pacifist ending yet? I can't tell what your "good" ending is.

lt519

so I take it you
didn't see the true pacifist ending yet? I can't tell what your "good" ending is.

People are referring to one of the extra bosses you fight in a No Mercy run. These bosses are quite a few steps harder than the rest, with one in particular being pretty brutal.

No I did,
went back to the beginning and talked to asriel and all, got the special thanks ending after hitting up the surface with everyone. You had to do the Asgore fight at least once and then reload the save to get the pacifist ending if I did it correctly. Just found that as the hardest fight, not sure what after that was any harder when going for the pacifist ending? Everything else you pretty much couldn't die. Asriel was basically just surviving a few rounds with double bosses. Nothing before that with only 20HP gave me trouble, Undyne wasn't hard at all, only took two tries.

DNAbro

No I did,
went back to the beginning and talked to asriel and all, got the special thanks ending after hitting up the surface with everyone. You had to do the Asgore fight at least once and then reload the save to get the pacifist ending if I did it correctly. Just found that as the hardest fight, not sure what after that was any harder when going for the pacifist ending? Everything else you pretty much couldn't die

yeah asgore is probably the most difficult thing in neutral/pacifist. Genocide route though is a completely different story.

Top Bottom