• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Undertale |OT| Indie RPG with determination and spider bake sales

L95

Finally decided to order that 'Mercy' Undertale shirt on fangamer. I do want to see how decent the Toriel plush ends up looking.

Lynx_7

I finished both the Neutral/True Pacifist and Genocide endings a few days ago. In a lesser year, this would have been my GOTY. It's definitely top 3 as it stands, I'm just not sure at which position exactly, which speaks a lot about how strong 2015 has been, and I haven't even played Witcher 3 and Fallout 4 yet.

Though I believe a few years from now, this will probably be the game from 2015 that I'll look back to with the fondest memories. It's just such a memorable experience and a tight, focused package. Besides, it's got the most heartbreaking and bleak route I've ever experienced in a videogame. I mean, there are darker games out there, but none of them affected me as much as my Genocide run in this game or made me feel nearly as bad. I probably got more emotional on that route than I did in the True Pacifist ending just because of how tragic it is. I don't think I have the heart to ever do it again.
Totally worth it for the boss fights though. Also it solidified Sans as my favorite character so there's that (still <3 u Papyrus). I stopped counting after a while but I got dunked around 20-30 times. I had to delete my data though because I wanted to redeem myself with a True Pacifist run again and wash away my sins and yes I am above consequences fuck you Chara.

I was reading the first few pages of the thread and it's funny to me how some people consider
hotlands the weakest section of the game, because for me it was when my enjoyment really kicked into high gear. I mean, I was already enjoying the game from the very beginning, but it was like an "8" kind of enjoyment, where I was like "yeah this is very good, but not on the same level as Mother like people were saying". Then Metaton's hijinks got me good, and I lost it at the opera scene right after that intense fight against the spider lady. By the end, specially at that one segment where "Undertale" plays and the fight against Asgore right after, I was absolutely sure this was a modern classic. True Pacifist ending was icing on the cake.
If I had to choose the one true spiritual sequel to the Mother series, it'd be this one. It's not as expansive as far as world size is concerned, but it shares a similar kind of heart and charm, and precisely because it's smaller I'd also give it an edge on pacing. It definetely stands proud alongside its inspiration. That Mother 4 fan game is looking good, but I'm not sure if it'll be able to compete here.

This game actually inspired me to give LISA a shot. I picked it up yesterday and am going to play it soon. Looking forward to it.

I'll also be looking forward to any future projects by Toby.

DNAbro

Hey everyone, after playing through this game three times, I decided to review it. Tell me if you think I missed the point or whatever.

i mean you get it but you just don't like it. If the characters and humor don't resonate with you I don't think it makes the same impact. The disjointedness of the different areas was something I actively enjoyed where it gave a new setting with a completely different feel and focus on different characters yet never felt like "filler" that you find in most rpgs. (Pretty sure that was somewhat earthbound inspired) It also constantly gave you new insight into the world in each area which connected the game together. Also I do think the characters have more depth than you give them credit for.

And as far as player choice of killing vs not-killing, it's the only game that has made me actually feel like I was playing as a bad person while playing "as a bad person". The enemies fighting you regardless of what you are doing is a bit odd but many of them aren't technically actively trying to kill you. Vulkin for example thinks it's attacks are helping you, and Aaron just flexes and sweats all over you.

This is was a pretty good review for it that explained why people like it pretty well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oOLhrUOgBE

Just beat the game for the first time and I have some questions.

First off I have to say that the Flowey boss fight is one of the greatest bosses in gaming.

Anyway, after that I chose to kill Flowey because fuck him, then credits rolled and went back to the title screen. Does that mean I'm truly done and can hit reset and go for another ending?

And, should I do pacifist next and then genocide after if I feel like it?

Pacifist gets me the true ending yes? And it's only possible on your second run?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
If you've killed no one besides Flowey you can use your current save killing Flowey pretty much doesn't give you the instructions for reaching the true ending after the phone call.
If you killed anyone besides Flowey you'll have to restart from the beginning.

You can do either run next but the Genocide run permanently effects the others if you complete it.

The Pacifist ending is possible on the same save file as a neutral run if you've killed no one.

I killed loads of people this run :p

So, do pacifist, then when I spare Flowey at the end he'll tell me how to get the true ending?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I killed loads of people this run :p

So, do pacifist, then when I spare Flowey at the end he'll tell me how to get the true ending?
Yeah that's a result of the Neutral-Pacifist ending and you can use your same save after you get the phone call from the end of that neutral run to complete the true pacifist requirements.

Sweet thank you, starting a new game now then and I will refrain from killing :p

Edit:
So, Flowey is still dead in my new game, I was looking forward to his new dialogue :\

Alfredo

Just got an email from Fangamer telling me that my Mettaton poster has been shipped. Woo! Now gotta find out where I'm gonna hang it...

L95

Sweet thank you, starting a new game now then and I will refrain from killing :p

Edit:
So, Flowey is still dead in my new game, I was looking forward to his new dialogue :\

Nah, he's just hiding from you because you killed him, if you reset a neutral route and don't kill him he says something like.... "Remember, make friends with everybody!" and skips the fight against him.

Zubz

Banned

Edit:
So, Flowey is still dead in my new game, I was looking forward to his new dialogue :

If it's any consolation,
you will get new dialogue when he pops back up near the end of the game.

Okamid3n

I want more Undertale but there's nothing left for me to do in it. :( So here I am, listening to Undertale remixes all night.

What should I play next to fill the void?

Nothing can fill this void.

Saikyo

I want more Undertale but there's nothing left for me to do in it. :( So here I am, listening to Undertale remixes all night.

You can try Lisa or the Mother/Earthbound series.

Lynx_7

The obvious recomendation would be Earthbound and Mother 3. I feel like the latter is closer to Undertale than the former.

Undertale inspired me to play LISA and so far it's been pretty good. It's a lot more cynic in tone and reliant on dark humor though, so don't expect too many similarities. Also, the game has really shitty optimization on my computer for some reason and the screen will go white if I play it for too long, and the only way to fix it is resetting the computer. Not sure what's up with that...

Hey everyone, after playing through this game three times, I decided to review it. Tell me if you think I missed the point or whatever.

Just wanted to say that I finished Undertale for the first time today, watched the 'good' ending on YouTube, and then your review, and I have to agree. The soundtrack IS amazing. The rest of it feels a bit 'also ran' after games like The Stanley Parable and Jazzpunk. I did really like figuring out the boss-fights though, and I also smiled quite a bit.

Vamphuntr

Finally beat it. It was a really great game. I went through it blind and well now I got to play it again :).

Ending spoilers and question
To get the best ending you actually have to stay lv 1 through the whole game? The bosses are probably difficult. How do I start back from the beginning? Flowey told me to start again so I hit reset on the continue screen? I felt so bad I killed the queen at the beginning because I wasn't understanding all of the stuff related to sparing enemies and bosses.

Finally beat it. It was a really great game. I went through it blind and well now I got to play it again :).

Ending spoilers and question
To get the best ending you actually have to stay lv 1 through the whole game? The bosses are probably difficult. How do I start back from the beginning? Flowey told me to start again so I hit reset on the continue screen? I felt so bad I killed the queen at the beginning because I wasn't understanding all of the stuff related to sparing enemies and bosses.
Yeah, hit reset.

I don't know a single thing about this game. Like, at all. But I'm hearing such overwhelming praise that I'm really tempted to play it. I'm scared to read the thread because apparently I don't want to be spoiled by anything.

Cody_D165

Banned
I don't know a single thing about this game. Like, at all. But I'm hearing such overwhelming praise that I'm really tempted to play it. I'm scared to read the thread because apparently I don't want to be spoiled by anything.

Seriously. Don't read anything. Buy it, play it. Experience everything for yourself. You will be so glad you did.

Kangi

You really don't.

If you're really tempted to play, then go and do it blind. Reading some spoilers may push you over the fence, but it's not worth it if it detracts from the experience. And it probably will.

The game's praise is really well-deserved, and it's like EarthBound in more than one way. They both share a similar quality: even if you, for some reason, wind up not liking the game, it's still something worth experiencing.

Yeah I just impulse bought it the other day because hey, it's $10 and only 8 or so hours long, so not a big investment.

And yeah now it's my #2 GOTY behind Splatoon. Just a really great game, especially if you're into the more quirky JRPGs like Earthbound, Paper Mario etc.

MrBadger

My best recommendation would be the Mario RPG's. The Mario and Luigi ones have similar humour and a non-traditional turn based combat system where you dodge attacks, and Undertale isn't even the first game where you get to role-play with a weeaboo lizard

SPM_Swoon.exe.png

Just got the true pacifist ending.

This game man.

Will do a genocide run at some stage, but not now, playing one game three times in a row is too much for me :p

My girlfriend just gifted this to me, I love her to death. I've only played for about an hour so far. I know that there are multiple endings of some sort. How long would it take for me to explore each ending? There were moments from the very beginning where I was unsure if doing something differently would change anything. The game is surprisingly really creepy at times. I had to remove my headphones a couple times because I was just too scared.

Kinsei

Banned
My girlfriend just gifted this to me, I love her to death. I've only played for about an hour so far. I know that there are multiple endings of some sort. How long would it take for me to explore each ending? There were moments from the very beginning where I was unsure if doing something differently would change anything. The game is surprisingly really creepy at times. I had to remove my headphones a couple times because I was just too scared.

The game is pretty short so not too long.

Arcia

Banned
So, Undertale is in that Game FAQS poll again, this time against Super Mario World. Its already nearly tied at 47% and climbing. It might actually win lol.

Also, check out their forums for the massive amounts of salt. It's even better than last time!

Menome

Quick Question: I'm about to fight
Undyne, she's standing above a cave entrance
, roughly how far through the game am I?

I just finished the game. Wow, the
4th wall-breaking
was just on another level.

Some questions:

So I played the game as a normal RPG, killing things, leveling up, but showing mercy at the end when given the option. What ending did I do? I'm able to continue just before fighting King Algore, I believe. If I choose to fight him, is that a different ending? What about if I choose to fight Flowey? I'd rather not play through the whole game a third time (after a pacifist run) if the point of divergence is just with that one choice.

Ferrio

Banned
4th wall-breaking

Some questions:

So I played the game as a normal RPG, killing things, leveling up, but showing mercy at the end when given the option. What ending did I do? I'm able to continue just before fighting King Algore, I believe. If I choose to fight him, is that a different ending? What about if I choose to fight Flowey? I'd rather not play through the whole game a third time (after a pacifist run) if the point of divergence is just with that one choice.

You got the neutral ending, first playthrough is always neutral. You now can do a pacifist run (don't kill anything+other stuff) or genocide run (kill everything). You should probably do them in that order since genocide is kinda one way street...it's also *way* more difficult. Both playthroughs are extremely different. Also the game is a lot quicker the 2nd/3rd time around because you don't have to really read every little thing like your first run through.

MrBadger

4th wall-breaking

Some questions:

You got the neutral ending. And yes, you'll have to start again if you want the pacifist or genodice ending, which you get from either sparing everything (among a few other tasks) or killing everything

Top Bottom