• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Undertale |OT| Indie RPG with determination and spider bake sales

Dad

Why did this game become the whipping boy for the angsty anti-SJW kiddos? Is it because there are
lesbians
in it or what

Lucky for you, I have one on hand.

CVKsk--UkAAMUC0.png:large
That sounds like a super villain origin story.
Why did this game become the whipping boy for the angsty anti-SJW kiddos? Is it because there are
lesbians
in it or what
That and probably because the main character gender is never estabilished so you might be gay in multiple ways through the story.

DNAbro

lesbians
in it or what

It grew popular on Tumblr, so that must mean it's full of SJW stuff. The people who call it Tumblrtale make me laugh.

Euron

I seriously cannot believe that this might be my GOTY. I beat a neutral run a few days ago and loved every minute of it. Going to start a pacifist run soon.

I seriously cannot believe that this might be my GOTY. I beat a neutral run a few days ago and loved every minute of it. Going to start a pacifist run soon.

You're already considering this for your GOTY and you haven't even done the pacifist run?

Boy are you in for a good time.

Saikyo

Does anything happen from completing true pacifist multiple times?

If you choose not stay with Toriel, if you go to Sans room he is gonna have the photo from the credits

Also Asriel wont be in the ruins after the first time you do the true pacifist ending

Dio

Banned
lesbians
in it or what

It's because the tumblr Homestuck kids latched onto Undertale. that's literally all there is. Even in /v/ threads I constantly see the sentiment that 'the game is fine' but the fans have ruined it.

Defect

You got the neutral ending, first playthrough is always neutral. You now can do a pacifist run (don't kill anything+other stuff) or genocide run (kill everything). You should probably do them in that order since genocide is kinda one way street...it's also *way* more difficult. Both playthroughs are extremely different. Also the game is a lot quicker the 2nd/3rd time around because you don't have to really read every little thing like your first run through.
You can do pacifist and genocide as a first play through.

I just finished the game. Wow, the
4th wall-breaking
was just on another level.

Some questions:

So I played the game as a normal RPG, killing things, leveling up, but showing mercy at the end when given the option. What ending did I do? I'm able to continue just before fighting King Algore, I believe. If I choose to fight him, is that a different ending? What about if I choose to fight Flowey? I'd rather not play through the whole game a third time (after a pacifist run) if the point of divergence is just with that one choice.

Kill nobody to get pacifist, kill everybody to get genocide, and absolutely anywhere in between gets neutral. You'll get the neutral ending no matter what choices you make now, so just finish the game however you please.

So I just started a genocide. I...hmm.

th
It's not worth it, man.

I was stuck on the Undyne boss fight for days, and after I finally beat her I felt no satisfaction and just abandoned that playthrough. I can't keep killing off those characters after True Pacifist. :(

I'm a wuss and I get easily attached to characters. Kudos to people who can power through genocide, it's just not for me. I already know the gist of what happens and
I don't care if Flowey taunts me about it
, I'll probably end up watching the rest on Youtube anyway.
Damn my morbid curiosity. I'm part of the problem. /hangs head in shame

FluxWaveZ

I'm a wuss and I get easily attached to characters. Kudos to people who can power through genocide, it's just not for me.

No powering through needed for me, here. Hell, I've constantly been thinking about heading back into the game after having played through it for each ending, but specifically for the Genocide route again. I just want to experience it once more.

demidar

No powering through needed for me, here. Hell, I've constantly been thinking about heading back into the game after having played through it for each ending, but specifically for the Genocide route again. I just want to experience it once more.

So you're Flowey.

MrBadger

Man, I can't wait for SJW whining to go the same way as friend zone whining

Also for people who make fun of SJW's for trigger warnings and overreacting to stuff, they sure are getting flustered about this

lesbians
in it or what

Yeah it's so weird.
The game doesn't even make a big spectacle about it, they just happen to be gay.

I "finished" this game last night.
True Pacifist. It's... yeah, I think it's my new favourite game of all time. A masterpiece. Deserves better than "videogame".

If anyone wants to make me an Undertale avatar there's a lifelong friendship in it for you. <3

cyress8

Banned
Purchased the game last night because I fell in love with the Asgore song and I put in an hour and a half. I literally thought I played for about thirty minutes. I reached Snowdin, spoke with all the npcs and read just about everything. At this point, all I can say is humans suck. I know that I'm only receiving half of the info, but yeah, humans suck.

Sölf

Fine, I post in here! :mad:

So, since everyone and their mother already played this game and it seems to become one of the best games ever, I finally decided to play it (which I wanted to do anyways).

Since I already knew there were several routes I could go for various endings, that may have influenced me. I am not someone who replays games with a story that often. So just thinking about having to play through the game 3 times was already somewhat of a letdown. I also think the game starts somewhat slow. I really dig the battle system and the characters are great, but I couldn't really enjoy it except for a few scenes until I reached Hotland and later on MTT. The final was definitly something else which I really didn't expect.

Today I finished the True Pacifist run. I didn't gather all secrets, but I somewhat had more fun on my second playthrough. Maybe because I didn't kill anything this time (killed a few NPCs at the beginning since I only knew I had to gain some EXP in order to trigger the neutral ending). The True Ending only stuff was also pretty... "interesting".
The dates were funny as hell, but holy shit the True Lab. Shit went dark fast. Pretty dark.

I will now start murdering everyone. Wish me luck, since the True Pacifist ending already killed me. Also, dat OST. Probably the best thing the game has. <3

Sölf

Yeah, I did. I am not completely finished yet.
Just reached Sans. Holy shit. Undyne was already hard enough. Well, that will probably take some time... xD

Breads

Banned
Sölf;187603323 said:
Yeah, I did. I am not completely finished yet.
Just reached Sans. Holy shit. Undyne was already hard enough. Well, that will probably take some time... xD

Please keep in touch with us. After you beat it let us know
how many times longer it took to beat Sans than you spent playing the other playthroughs combined.

Sölf

Please keep in touch with us. After you beat it let us know
how many times longer it took to beat Sans than you spent playing the other playthroughs combined.

So far, took me around ~10 hours to beat neutral and True Pacifist route. I am not roughly ~3 hours into Genocide. So, let's see.
Undyne took probably around 10-20 tries.

I tried a genocide run, but
Undyne the Undying
is too much of a pain in the ass.

Might try again later, but I'm content with what I've done in this game for the time being.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
I tried a genocide run, but
Undyne the Undying
is too much of a pain in the ass.

Might try again later, but I'm content with what I've done in this game for the time being.

Heh, i died 109 times before doing that.
Stock up on determination.

Teknoman

It's not worth it, man.

I was stuck on the Undyne boss fight for days, and after I finally beat her I felt no satisfaction and just abandoned that playthrough. I can't keep killing off those characters after True Pacifist. :(

I'm a wuss and I get easily attached to characters. Kudos to people who can power through genocide, it's just not for me. I already know the gist of what happens and
I don't care if Flowey taunts me about it
, I'll probably end up watching the rest on Youtube anyway.
Damn my morbid curiosity. I'm part of the problem. /hangs head in shame

I felt really lame after killing Toriel...and surprised at the same time considering how much damage I did in one hit. That and the immediate dialog changes.

Do you really hate me that much?
:(

The # left text for save spots is creepy in its own way too.

Weiss

Banned
I'm reminded of the Demon Path of Soul Nomad & The World Eaters, where I happily leaped at the chance to murder all the characters I spent 30 hours getting to know, but Undertale's Genocide path gets under my skin in a way that Bad paths never do that I can't bring myself to do it, even with the extra bosses and story bits.

Breads

Banned
Sölf;187617990 said:
This. I am now ~15 tries in. Got as far as
1 attack before his Special Attack.
Will try again tomorrow, it's nearly 1:30 AM here already.

Oh wow that's really impressive! Did you get dunked on?
I did my first time because I struggled so much just to get to that point, before "the real fight begins" phase, that I thought that getting spared by Sans was the only way the fight would end. I figured something twee would happen and then you'd dramatically stab him in the back or something but nooooope he actually does it to you and warns you that if you really are a friend you wouldn't return :)

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
So I finished my first play through of this game and did what's called the
Neutral run
because I didn't know about the different runs when I started the game. Anyways, all I want to say is...

FUCK FLOWEY

It's all recorded on my Twitch if you guys want to watch my ending play through :) Want to replay this game in the future for sure.

Sölf

Beat him after another ~5 tries (so around ~20 in total).

And I just erased the whole world. Well, fuck me.

Breads

Banned
Sölf;187678269 said:
Beat him after another ~5 tries (so around ~20 in total).

And I just erased the whole world. Well, fuck me.

Very impressive. This is the best I've ever heard anyone do for their first time.

Sölf

Well, it probably were a few more tries, as I am not really counting the ones were I get to like his second to last attack and then fuck up at the first (I had probably 3-4 of those). But I definitly took less then 30. Still, holy. Had to use all my healing items and survived with 1 HP. Anything more and I would have been dead.

Sölf

Still, considering the duration of the whole battle, it probably still took me 2-3 hours just to beat this one fight.

Thud

Sölf;187688820 said:
Still, considering the duration of the whole battle, it probably still took me 2-3 hours just to beat this one fight.

I think I put 10 hours (with breaks and keeping the pc on) in that fight and still couldn't do it.

Top Bottom