• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Undertale |OT| Indie RPG with determination and spider bake sales

cm osi

So I just started a genocide. I...hmm.

th

KILL
EM
ALL

doing genoice gave me Umineko vibes, someone should introduce flowey and frist to Bernkastel

I'm almost at the Core on a Pacifist run. I feel like I spoiled myself trying to read up on the Genocide run. All I really know is
you have to kill everything and it's irreversible.
Will there still be twists for me to experience? Also, that last bit makes me really reluctant to do that run.

Ferrio

Banned
I'm almost at the Core on a Pacifist run. I feel like I spoiled myself trying to read up on the Genocide run. All I really know is
you have to kill everything and it's irreversible.
Will there still be twists for me to experience? Also, that last bit makes me really reluctant to do that run.

Yes it's a lot different. All 3 playthroughs are pretty unique

Zubz

Banned
Sölf;187733961 said:
So, I just found a Megalovania version for Stepmania which mimics the actual battle. Like, holy shit!

I think we posted this awhile back, but yeah. It's pretty rad! IIRC, this came up, too, but there's also a chart that mimics the Undyne fight, but because it was meant for a tournament mod, she's replaced with one of the TO's.

Honestly, the Galactic Gladiators mod's pretty incredible, both for what it is and for how it works; I don't know if anyone saw the whole thing, but one of the charts in the game also has cameos from the protagonist, Flowey, & Mettaton, while another uses also uses
Gaster Blasters
as an interface screw. The former chart deserves special mention, because, well... just look at it.

That's the point.

If it's just the name though you can also call it something else. I'm fond of the names Bad Time and Hog Wild runs
No, I mean to say that if there are bad and good endings in a game, I generally like to do the good one last,
but apparently that is impossible here.

No, I mean to say that if there are bad and good endings in a game, I generally like to do the good one last,

Oh! Yeah haha.

I haven't done it because I became too attached to the good ending, but you can always watch someone else do it?

=)

Weiss

Banned

It's less of a linear scale of Good/Bad endings and more of an entirely different game.

A game that will make you hate yourself.

I'm reminded of the Demon Path of Soul Nomad & The World Eaters, where I happily leaped at the chance to murder all the characters I spent 30 hours getting to know, but Undertale's Genocide path gets under my skin in a way that Bad paths never do that I can't bring myself to do it, even with the extra bosses and story bits.

Yeah, I'm reminded of that as well... although in SN I prefer the special ending you can get by losing the final battle.

Weiss

Banned
So I ended up clearing the Ruins in a Genocide path.

The silly dialogue just becoming a blunt "DETERMINATION", the way the music becomes haunting and distorted, and Toriel's mocking laugh as she dissolves... god.

The silly dialogue just becoming a blunt "DETERMINATION", the way the music becomes haunting and distorted, and Toriel's mocking laugh as she dissolves... god.

I had one friend who couldn't go farther then that, and the other couldn't continue on after Snowdin.

They just couldn't bring themselves to do it.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.

... But nobody came.

Breads

Banned
It's worth it though. The ending...
confirms Sans for being just.. the greatest. I'm changing my Avatar right now just because of how much of an impact this chuckling timelord had on me.

"IS SANS PRANKING YOU ACROSS TIME AND SPACE? I HATE IT WHEN HE DOES THAT!"- Papyrus

That was one way of putting it.

Teknoman

So I finished my first play through of this game and did what's called the
Neutral run
because I didn't know about the different runs when I started the game. Anyways, all I want to say is...

FUCK FLOWEY

It's all recorded on my Twitch if you guys want to watch my ending play through :) Want to replay this game in the future for sure.

Reload that neutral save again, and then go back to revisit 3 main characters. Its really quick to get true pacifist if you havent really killed anyone.

DNAbro

Upset Undertale didn't win the indie game of the year at TGA, but I guess that was expected. I feel like there are tons of people in games media who still don't know this game exists.

Aureon

Upset Undertale didn't win the indie game of the year at TGA, but I guess that was expected. I feel like there are tons of people in games media who still don't know this game exists.

I'm mot upset it didn't even get a nod for best soundtrack.
Soundtracks listed were complete shit compared to UT and ARR.

Sealed

Banned
So I played a bit of this game, and I don't really get the hype for it

I made it up to the
Spider bake sale lady boss
, and then I stopped because I couldn't beat her, and because I didn't really want to. If I lost interest at that point is there a reason for me to keep playing?

I do think the soundtrack is very good though

DNAbro

I made it up to the
, and then I stopped because I couldn't beat her, and because I didn't really want to. If I lost interest at that point is there a reason for me to keep playing?

probs not. Though a lot of things the game does is not immediately obvious.

Zubz

Banned

Same. Even if it was personally GOTY for me, I could see it losing to Rocket League. Literally no other OST came close to Undertale's this past year, though; the fact it didn't even get nominated in the category felt like a snub.

Oh well. At least it got some attention!

jonjonaug

"Best soundtrack" category in these sorts of affairs is always dominated by the sorts of movie inspired soundtracks that became popular in the West starting with the PS2/Gamecube/Xbox generation onward. You never see any video game soundtracks that sound like they're from video games, are unconventional, or are from Japan. Last year had Tropical Freeze and Drakengard 3 snubbed completely. Nier wasn't nominated in the old Spike Video Game Awards in 2010 either.

I made it up to the

If you made it that far and didn't enjoy it, it's not for you.

I made it up to the

You're not far from the end so if you didn't enjoy getting that far you're not gonna enjoy it period.

Gardex

I made it up to the

I'd usually say no, but you're pretty far in the game. I'd personally just stick through it to see if it eventually clicked, but that's just my kind of attitude(I need to be absolutely sure I like/dislike something before quitting)

What kind of run are you doing? I've seen some people not enjoying their first run, only to greatly enjoy a different path(although they are probably in the minority)

MrBadger

"Best soundtrack" category in these sorts of affairs is always dominated by the sorts of movie inspired soundtracks that became popular in the West starting with the PS2/Gamecube/Xbox generation onward. You never see any video game soundtracks that sound like they're from video games, are unconventional, or are from Japan. Last year had Tropical Freeze and Drakengard 3 snubbed completely. Nier wasn't nominated in the old Spike Video Game Awards in 2010 either.

The soundtrack category in these things always feels like an afterthought. It's a real shame how under appreciated some video game soundtracks go.

Aureon

Yeah, but i mean... MGSV?
MGSV doesn't actually play any track of note. There's not even any music for most of the game. It's completely nonsensical to me.
I've finished it last week, and i can't tell you a single memorable track. Even a single track at all.
It's all barely noticeable ambient music - a truly terrible trend.

mbpm1

Yeah, but i mean... MGSV?
MGSV doesn't actually play any track of note. There's not even any music for most of the game. It's completely nonsensical to me.
I've finished it last week, and i can't tell you a single memorable track. Even a single track at all.

The best music is no music so people can play their own music

:p

Weiss

Banned
Well, that's the Genocide path.

I ended up resetting after beating Sans. You'd think after experiencing mortal terror at realizing Chara is going to murder him, Flowey would be a little less sassy upon a reset.

Still, that was, well, something. It's unlike any Evil path I've seen in a game before, and it's honestly enriching in a way that it's made me love Undertale more than I thought I could.

FluxWaveZ

Well, that's the Genocide path.

I ended up resetting after beating Sans. You'd think after experiencing mortal terror at realizing Chara is going to murder him, Flowey would be a little less sassy upon a reset.

Wait, did you just go to the main menu and reset
immediately after defeating Sans or did you wait in the black void for 10 minutes or whatever it is for Chara to address you and give you the chance to reset?

Weiss

Banned
Wait, did you just go to the main menu and reset
immediately after defeating Sans or did you wait in the black void for 10 minutes or whatever it is for Chara to address you and give you the chance to reset?

The former. After I beat Sans I went back, saved, and reset. Chara didn't show up so I know my save isn't tainted.

If you cut a Genocide path before the end then upon reset Flowey will chide you in the Ruins before Toriel shows up.

FluxWaveZ

The former. After I beat Sans I went back, saved, and reset. Chara didn't show up so I know my save isn't tainted.

If you cut a Genocide path before the end then upon reset Flowey will chide you in the Ruins before Toriel shows up.

Ah, I see. You didn't get one of the most satisfying scenes in the game first-hand, though.

Not really, when you factor in the realities of a complex sound design and the fact that you can enter and exit combat at a seconds notice, ambient music just makes sense in a game like MGSV. Undertale can put its music front and center because the pacing and structure of the game supports it, not every game has that luxury. While I'm at it, I'm tired of the notion that ambient music sucks by default. There's a lot of artistry and craft that goes into it and it's incredibly dismissive to call it all trash.

Also, I doubt MGSV was nominated because of the ambient music. It was probably picked for the big standout themes like Sins of the Father.

Edit: All that having been said, Undertale still has the best soundtrack of the year.

The soundtrack section in these awards is always a joke. Hotline Miami 2 and Undertale weren't even nominated and pretty much everything should have won over MGS V, I think it only won since the other MGS games had good and memorable music

That being said, people care too much about these silly awards.

PSqueak

Banned
The soundtrack section in these awards is always a joke. Hotline Miami 2 and Undertale weren't even nominated and pretty much everything should have won over MGS V, I think it only won since the other MGS games had good and memorable music

Still think it's BS that they put Undertale in 3 categories, 2 of which it had no chance to win, and they didn't put it on "best soundtrack" which is one of the game's strongest points (Toby is a musician after all), and the one category it had the chance to win, best indy, they gave it to a game fully supported by big companies that also won another award.

FluxWaveZ

Still think it's BS that they put Undertale in 3 categories, 2 of which it had no chance to win, and they didn't put it on "best soundtrack" which is one of the game's strongest points (Toby is a musician after all), and the one category it had the chance to win, best indy, they gave it to a game fully supported by big companies that also won another award.

Remember: the nominees and awards are voted by consensus; by the TGA judges composed of members of the press.

Top Bottom