• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Undertale |OT| Indie RPG with determination and spider bake sales

As cool as Hotline Miami 2's soundtrack was, I'd personally disqualify it since most of the songs are licensed.

Yet MGS V still won when every song I remember from it was licensed and it squandered its main theme in a terrible scene

Rock Band and guitar hero have been nominated here before. Think of it like curating, how well every song meshed with the game. HM2 did that amazingly.

demidar

Yet MGS V still won when every song I remember from it was licensed and it squandered its main theme in a terrible scene

Rock Band and guitar hero have been nominated here before. Think of it like curating, how well every song meshed with the game. HM2 did that amazingly.

I would've disqualified MGSV too >_>

Rock Band and Guitar Hero is also plain cheating.

DNAbro

Remember: the nominees and awards are voted by consensus; by the TGA judges composed of members of the press.

Reminded me how many people in the industry still haven't noticed this game. I watched the Kinda Funny guys go over their predictions for TGA and they had a guy from Gamespot (i think) as well and only he had some knowledge of what the game was. They hadn't even heard of it. And then there was the pre-show thing where it got attention for 10 seconds where 3 of those was Rocco saying that people keep telling him to play it.

Kangi

I'm about as upset about the award snubs as I am about the major gaming sites largely ignoring the game (does IGN even mention it anywhere on their site yet?); which is to say, not at all because lol games journalism.

It's actually pretty great. This game's success being carried entirely by word-of-mouth like this. Every minute more that it goes ignored is an extra reason to consider who in this industry you should listen to. Reminds me of how Minecraft exploded into one of the most popular games ever without any advertisement.

Lynx_7

GameSpot did a review a while back and the comment section consisted mostly of people complaining about how a game with "shitty graphics" could get a 9 and a whole bunch of whining. It never ceases to bother me how immature a lot of communities still are. I was gonna say this is a problem with a lot of gaming related forums, but then I remember this same kind of shit happens on places like IMDB and other communities unrelated to gaming, which reminds me this is just the way the internet works in general.

As for the TGA, the fact it didn't take at least indie game of the year is a bit disappointing but at least it lost to a good game. Not even receiving a nomination for best soundtrack was just awkward though, specially considering freaking MGS V won that category for some reason. I love the game but it has no place winning any kind of OST related awards when, outside of the vocal tracks, there's really not a lot to remember.

Kientin

Ahhhh crap I can't take it anymore. I really want to fight the final boss of genocide. I resisted long and hard, but I'm caving. But, I'm going to treat the run just like I treated my last true pacifist run. Default gear, no food. I gotta give the final boss some handicap anyway as I already seen videos of him. ;P Look out
Sans
I'm coming for you.

Let the pain commence.

Szadek

Ahhhh crap I can't take it anymore. I really want to fight the final boss of genocide. I resisted long and hard, but I'm caving. But, I'm going to treat the run just like I treated my last true pacifist run. Default gear, no food. I gotta give the final boss some handicap anyway as I already seen videos of him. ;P Look out
Sans
I'm coming for you.

Let the pain commence.
You really want to have a bad time, don't you?

Kenai

Not surprised Unde4rtale got snubbed in the soundtrack department at the VGA when Tropical Freeze did last year

Just played through
the True Lab.

I wasn't ready. I wasn't even slightly ready. D:

I was fine until
the music that plays as you go toward that curtain. Nothing even happened and I was still terrified

Breads

Banned
Sans
I'm coming for you.

Let the pain commence.

Well if you do it with a controller just make sure you tune up those dead zones. I took a ton of needless damage because of it.

Doing it this way is not impossible... even I got pretty far without taking a hit. It's just the later phase has this gimmick that I won't spoil that isn't readily apparent from watching videos which makes practicing the last phase with so little HP a pretty big challenge.

Zomba13

So I've finally decided to give this a go (sat in my Steam library since it came out) because my copy of Xenoblade X seems to be arriving on the back on a bunch of snails seeing as it was sent out at the start of the week.

Anyway, I'm liking it. Just got to the hot place. It's nice and charming and funny and cute but I'm not seeing the "omg best game ever so amazing mind blowing wtft" stuff. Does that come later? Steam says 3hrs so far and howlongtobeat says it takes 6 hours so I'm around 50% of the way through?

I'm not fighting anyone because I was told not to fight people at the start. If I like the game enough I might play through again and fight everyone.

Just chiming in to say this is my GOTY. What an amazing ride.

I don't think I'm going to do a genocide run, perfectly happy with my full pacifist playthrough.

Kientin

You really want to have a bad time, don't you?

I'm already having a bad time killing everyone. Might as well hit rock bottom!

Well if you do it with a controller just make sure you tune up those dead zones. I took a ton of needless damage because of it.

Doing it this way is not impossible... even I got pretty far without taking a hit. It's just the later phase has this gimmick that I won't spoil that isn't readily apparent from watching videos which makes practicing the last phase with so little HP a pretty big challenge.

Yeah I'm going with a keyboard all the way for this. Thanks for the heads up.

DNAbro

So I've finally decided to give this a go (sat in my Steam library since it came out) because my copy of Xenoblade X seems to be arriving on the back on a bunch of snails seeing as it was sent out at the start of the week.

Anyway, I'm liking it. Just got to the hot place. It's nice and charming and funny and cute but I'm not seeing the "omg best game ever so amazing mind blowing wtft" stuff. Does that come later? Steam says 3hrs so far and howlongtobeat says it takes 6 hours so I'm around 50% of the way through?

I'm not fighting anyone because I was told not to fight people at the start. If I like the game enough I might play through again and fight everyone.

It gets better as it goes on imo. But keep going. I've heard people's opinions changing during ending portions.

Breads

Banned

For me and I imagine a lot of people it didn't become GOTY material until after finishing the initial play through. The base level of the game seems to be about making friends with monsters which is as you said charming but going back and realizing how every decision you made effects the game and how aware of your actions the game actually is to the point to where it's addressed that
you are actively going back and messing with the timeline of the game's universe by restarting/ loading saves to correct mistakes/ reaching different endings and etc, or most dramatically by doing the genocide run at all and dieing/ performing actions without saving and then reloading, and so on.

Playing through the game multiple times also confirms just how great a character Sans is! Although it sounds like a lot to ask for the game is actually really short once you know what you're doing and I think and the alternate playthroughs, at least for the main endings, are worth it.

I hope I missed something: is the
Capital
supposed to be deserted/abandoned once you reach
New Home
?
Maybe the whole point of the walk is that you can only admire the place at a distance, but I know monsters have been emigrating from the city because it's so crowded and overwrought. And not everyone's at the MTT hotel waiting for the elevator to work (dragon husband even mentions he won't be able to see his folks until once it's fixed). Without a good excuse, I feel Toby leaving out the capital as a place to briefly explore is disappointing, though not a huge damage to Undertale. More than meeting Gaster or saving Asriel, visiting the capital and taking in whatever makes it unique and full of tradition would be a good expansion of the Underground

This game delivers just the right sekaikan (plus, it shows you can develop sekaikan-derived characters into more defined, mysterious individuals). Rough edges aside, I wonder just how much more talented Toby's going to get; Megalovania's remix here is leaps beyond what the Homestuck version sounds like, and that was a big improvement on the restricted Earthbound Halloween original. That's a non-spoilers example of how impressive his next projects could be.

Ilvocare

Someone no-damaged the neutral route final boss :0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pL5STXqyBK4

Spoilers, ofc. And apologies if already posted.

Fucking crazy. Watching this fight actually made me realize
that the "Finale" section of the Flowey fight is synced to the music. The first section of that phase uses relatively slow-moving projectiles in comparison to the first phase... but then that drop kicks in and everything is actually sped-up a bit from the first phase. Just that extra bit of salt in your rapidly-regenerating wounds. Even more so if you decide to perfect run this boss like this insane person did.

I never realized this while playing the actual fight or watching any of the LPs of Undertale I've seen, so it seemed worth noting.

Decided to just do a Genocide run. I figured I should experience it for myself. It's really hard right now, though. Undyne is already giving me headaches and apparently the final boss is way harder.

Moaradin

Last boss was harder but not as frustrating? At least for me anyways. Undyne had that yellow arrow mechanic that I just never got used to.

Sölf

The final boss probably isn't such a big deal for an experienced Bullet hell player.

Yes it is, because it seems that the attacks mostly just happen at random. So you can't really predict what comes next, unlike most other Bullet Hell Shooters where the bullets may be random, but you know what pattern comes next. He explains all that in the video description.

I've been playing this lately....

And I love it! So charming.

But, the dodging gameplay can be really frustrating with the bosses. I am having trouble (ENDING spoilers for my first zero LOVE run):

The battle with the King!!! Everything just happens way too fast for me. I've weakened him by talking and I even manage to get his health down to its approximate midpoint. Soon after that, however, I keep dying! I am almost tempted to just watch the ending on Youtube but I have really enjoyed discovering everything for myself. I heard about special armor from the crazy dogs in the waterfall, but I am broke so I can't afford to pay for their college. I don't know if it's worth raising the money to just finish the game (presumably).

I am losing...determination.

Jintor

knowing that
his stats lower if you talk to him after you die
fills you with determination

learning that
eating pie in front of him will lower his stats

realising that
you can go load up on healing items before coming back for the old goat

DNAbro

I've been playing this lately....

And I love it! So charming.

But, the dodging gameplay can be really frustrating with the bosses. I am having trouble (ENDING spoilers for my first zero LOVE run):

The battle with the King!!! Everything just happens way too fast for me. I've weakened him by talking and I even manage to get his health down to its approximate midpoint. Soon after that, however, I keep dying! I am almost tempted to just watch the ending on Youtube but I have really enjoyed discovering everything for myself. I heard about special armor from the crazy dogs in the waterfall, but I am broke so I can't afford to pay for their college. I don't know if it's worth raising the money to just finish the game (presumably).

I am losing...determination.

please don't watch the ending. All of that is something you should experience yourself. This is your first run overall correct? If so there is a lot you haven't seen. If it isn't, you are missing something.

If you need money to buy stuff
go to Waterfall and talk to the turtle shopkeep and buy the glasses(i think that's what it is) and then sell them in Temmie Village for a profit. You can do this infinitely.

Also
make sure you have the worn dagger and either the heart locket or grind the money up for Temmie armor

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Y'know, in a game full of favourite moments.

Pacifist Royal guards battle is probably part of my top favourite moments.

It's just so adorable.

Kientin

Well I finished the genocide run, kinda.
I've only seen bits and pieces of the run before this. Mainly just the two major fights. The run is super depressing but the fights were really fun. Which is pretty much why I wanted to do the run in the first place. Though I loved the talk with Flowey as I was walking through the house. Gave a lot of backstory on the first child and him. So I guess the first child was suicidal when he fell into the world of monsters?

Anyway, I killed Sans and I was content there. I got my fight and I got a little extra backstory. I went back and checked out what I've done. It's pretty chilling walking back through the cities. Everything is so empty. Especially when I went to Undyne's house and knocked on the door. Saying that it seems that no one is home, and you have the feeling that no one will ever be home either. I closed the game, started it back up, spared Sans and let him dunk me, and then reset the game. I deserved it and he deserves the kill on me for Papyrus's death.

As for the fights, a quick bit of context for the run. I played the run using the default equipment (stick and bandage equipped the whole run) and using NO items. Any items I happened to pick up were dropped on the spot (except for the mystery key, I hung onto that). Why? The last time I played about a month ago, I played a pacifist run with the same restrictions (plus having 20 HP only of course) because I wanted to see if Sans would say anything extra after the Flowey fight, which he did and that was awesome that Toby put that in there even if it was really small. I guess I just wanted to continue those restrictions on the genocide even with the knowledge that the fights were much harder. Also I spoiled Sans's fight for me already so I figured I might as well do that to make up for it.

I died to Undyne about 35 times. With the restrictions, you only can get hit 5 times before you die. I should have taken a break about 15 deaths in as I was kinda tired and I couldn't focus. Lots of dumb mistakes were made past that point until I did take a break and won about 10 fights after. Sans took me about 75 fights to win. It never felt like any of his attacks were hard once I got the hang of them, I just would end up throwing the fight on some random attack and lose half my life because I just zone out after awhile haha. Feel kind of weird to say this, but Sans feels a lot more lenient due to the fact that your gear doesn't matter and I can can get hit a lot more than 5 attacks through small mistakes. The main difficulty is just playing well through a long period of time though some tricky attacks as the fight is long. It's easy to slip up occasionally. Asgore in my restricted pacifist run was super hard and the deaths landed somewhere between Undyne and Sans. I'm tempted to say that Asgore (with restrictions) was harder than Sans (also with restrictions) was. You can only get hit 4 times on Asgore and that stupid attack where he sends columns of fire down the left and right side of the box with the continuous fire down the center I could never quite figure out. The center fire has some RNG and I can never tell how it's going to move which ended me taking almost one or two hits without fail and I wouldn't be able to survive the higher intensity attacks in the 2nd half of the fight as a result. It still feels to me that the only reason I won that fight was luck that the fire attack played nice with me. With restrictions I'd rank the fights for me in terms of difficulty as Sans = Asgore > Undyne. YMMV depending on how you take the attacks though I guess.

Well, time to play a true pacifist run to was this bad genocide run taste out of my mouth.

Edit: Honestly Flowey, you should be happy I backed out of my run. You were kinda terrified of me at the end there.

Thank you for the help!

1st Run, Pacifist Endgame Spoilers:

By selling the turtle glasses, I eventually made 1,000 to put Temie through college. Afterward, with the same method, I made it to 3,000 G. This was enough to buy the Temie Armor (apparently, I had died enough that the price was lowered to 2,600). Once I reached that point, though, I thought that it would be underwhelming to beat the game so easily. The dodging gameplay adds a significant excitement, even if sometimes it feels like the reactions required are too fast. So I didn't end up buying the armor I had spent time grinding money for. Instead, I ended up filling my inventory with the bisicle item and tried to beat the King again.

And I did it! And spared him, only for the flower to kill him. Even worse, shortly after the flower called me an idiot..... the entire game crashed. Damnitdamnitdamnit.

Well I finished the genocide run, kinda.
I've only seen bits and pieces of the run before this. Mainly just the two major fights. The run is super depressing but the fights were really fun. Which is pretty much why I wanted to do the run in the first place. Though I loved the talk with Flowey as I was walking through the house. Gave a lot of backstory on the first child and him. So I guess the first child was suicidal when he fell into the world of monsters?
No, likely not yet--not at first.
It was all a deliberate part of the first child's plan. Recall the "videos" in the True Lab in the Pacifist Ending. Chara (what people have taken to calling the first child due to it being what the game defaults to if you modify it to force it to use a hidden default name)/Asriel accidentally baked Asgore a pie with buttercups that made him deathly ill. Then, one of the other videos happens shortly before the first child died and Asgore/Toriel being extremely concerned, but they leave and then Asriel shows up and whispers to the first child that he "doesn't like this plan anymore," seemingly because he just didn't want Chara to have to die at all and was deeply bothered by the fact that he knew the plan required that, but then ends up renewing his resolve and reluctantly tells the first child that he will trust him and go through with it, despite his doubts.

It seems very much that after observing Asgore's ilness, Chara came up with the idea of deliberately committing suicide to become one with Asriel, combining their souls so they could go through the barrier and kill the humans. Judging by some of the other comments Asriel makes on the matter in a Pacifist run, it sounds like Chara got him to agree by misleading him into thinking that they would only kill enough humans to get enough souls to destroy the barrier, but due to Chara's hate for humanity, that was never the true intent but rather it was to use their combined power to kill everything from the beginning. But regardless, when they got to the human village Asriel couldn't go through with killing any of them in the end and used his Determination and control over their combined body to refuse to kill anyone and just go home instead, and the rest goes from there.

DNAbro

Thank you for the help!

By selling the turtle glasses, I eventually made 1,000 to put Temie through college. Afterward, with the same method, I made it to 3,000 G. This was enough to buy the Temie Armor (apparently, I had died enough that the price was lowered to 2,600). Once I reached that point, though, I thought that it would be underwhelming to beat the game so easily. The dodging gameplay adds a significant excitement, even if sometimes it feels like the reactions required are too fast. So I didn't end up buying the armor I had spent time grinding money for. Instead, I ended up filling my inventory with the bisicle item and tried to beat the King again.

And I did it! And spared him, only for the flower to kill him. Even worse, shortly after the flower called me an idiot..... the entire game crashed. Damnitdamnitdamnit.

I hope you jumped back in.

Kientin

Thank you for the help!

I hear there is a bug that erases your save. You should check and make sure it's safe.

No, likely not yet--not at first.
It was all a deliberate part of the first child's plan. Recall the "videos" in the True Lab in the Pacifist Ending. Chara (what people have taken to calling the first child due to it being what the game defaults to if you modify it to force it to use a hidden default name)/Asriel accidentally baked Asgore a pie with buttercups that made him deathly ill. Then, one of the other videos happens shortly before the first child died and Asgore/Toriel being extremely concerned, but they leave and then Asriel shows up and whispers to the first child that he "doesn't like this plan anymore," seemingly because he just didn't want Chara to have to die at all and was deeply bothered by the fact that he knew the plan required that, but then ends up renewing his resolve and reluctantly tells the first child that he will trust him and go through with it, despite his doubts.

It seems very much that after observing Asgore's ilness, Chara came up with the idea of deliberately committing suicide to become one with Asriel, combining their souls so they could go through the barrier and kill the humans. Judging by some of the other comments Asriel makes on the matter in a Pacifist run, it sounds like Chara got him to agree by misleading him into thinking that they would only kill enough humans to get enough souls to destroy the barrier, but due to Chara's hate for humanity, that was never the true intent but rather it was to use their combined power to kill everything from the beginning. But regardless, when they got to the human village Asriel couldn't go through with killing any of them in the end and used his Determination and control over their combined body to refuse to kill anyone and just go home instead, and the rest goes from there.

Maybe it's both? When you talk with Asriel at the end of the true pacifist run, when he asks Frisk why he climbs the mountain because it's said that all people that climb the mountain disappear. He then mentions that he knows why the first child climbed the mountain and it wasn't for a very happy reason. He could have very well initially gone to the mountain to die, then wanted to take it a step further after he saw Asgore get sick from the flowers.

Hedge

Reading all of these super specific requirements for different story unlocks makes me super worried I'll somehow mess up my first run.

I just tried to play again.
1st run, pacifist end-game spoilers:

Huh. So was my game SUPPOSED to crash?! Floweytale!? The huge thing they transformed to...I was legitimately disturbed. Of course, when the "fight" started I obviously died. And then I loaded up the game again, and also died that time, too. I've done this more times than I can count. At this point, flowey is asking me if I have anyhting better to do. Am I missing something? Am I really supposed to survive that? I notice that it seems to "save" my progress somehow. I have made it to the ballerina shoe section. But I don't know if I'm missing something that is supposed to make this easier. Or if I just keep going at it with....determination.

Fat4all

Banned
Reading all of these super specific requirements for different story unlocks makes me super worried I'll somehow mess up my first run.

They ain't too specific, really. It's more straight-forward as you play.

Neutral:
Do yo thang.
Pacifist:
Don't gain any exp.
Genocide:
Genocide.

Huh. So was my game SUPPOSED to crash?! Floweytale!? The huge thing they transformed to...I was legitimately disturbed. Of course, when the "fight" started I obviously died. And then I loaded up the game again, and also died that time, too. I've done this more times than I can count. At this point, flowey is asking me if I have anyhting better to do. Am I missing something? Am I really supposed to survive that? I notice that it seems to "save" my progress somehow. I have made it to the ballerina shoe section. But I don't know if I'm missing something that is supposed to make this easier. Or if I just keep going at it with....determination.

At this point you literally just have to survive, and make it to each soul mini-game area.

DNAbro

Keep going. Yes you are expected to survive. It should "save" after each heart section(i think) and you can keep making progress even if you die. Eventually you will make it through.

1upsuper

How many people have gotten shipping notifications from Fangamer for their merch so far? I saw someone get the poster, but I haven't heard anything about my order yet. I'm pretty anxious, haha.

I didn't expect Undertale to get any recognition at the VGA, but it still stung that it was snubbed in the OST category. It's kind of surprising to me that the game has gotten good press from some pretty big outlets and yet it remains virtually unknown among so many "in the industry." Whatevs.

DNAbro

How many people have gotten shipping notifications from Fangamer for their merch so far? I saw someone get the poster, but I haven't heard anything about my order yet. I'm pretty anxious, haha.

I didn't expect Undertale to get any recognition at the VGA, but it still stung that it was snubbed in the OST category. It's kind of surprising to me that the game has gotten good press from some pretty big outlets and yet it remains virtually unknown among so many "in the industry." Whatevs.

They got different parts of the bundle at different times. I think the Mercy shirts came in on Thursday. They will probably be going out this week.

BetaM

I liked the game a lot, but (Neutral spoilers)
getting spooked by Photoshop Flowey kinda ruined it. There are many creepy designs throughout the game that don't break the style, so it's not like it couldn't be done. I'm just surprised that so many people are okay with this.

getting spooked by Photoshop Flowey kinda ruined it. There are many creepy designs throughout the game that don't break the style, so it's not like it couldn't be done. I'm just surprised that so many people are okay with this.

I thought it was great.
It was obvious Flowey would be the final boss so how do you surprise people with the obvious? With a fucking photoshopped Contra boss.

On the contrary, I think Photoshop Flowey breaking every single one of the game's rules right down to the style of graphics is what makes it so memorable. Photoshop Flowey's first reveal is one of the strongest and most memorable moments I think the game has.

1upsuper

They got different parts of the bundle at different times. I think the Mercy shirts came in on Thursday. They will probably be going out this week.

Thanks. But do you mean that people who bought the bundle are getting their pieces separately? I got the bundle but I haven't received anything yet. Or do you mean that people who just ordered the poster have gotten it?

I thought this part was fantastic.
It totally threw me for a loop and kinda freaked me out, which was totally the point. It didn't ruin anything, but in fact tests the player's determination. It's an integral part of the game because it forces the player to walk the walk, so to speak. Almost everything is working against the player, so finishing that fight is all the sweeter.

FluxWaveZ

I think
Photoshop Flowey is great, if just to signify that this enemy is larger than life in a way that is different than any opponent you've faced in the entire game. In the the sense that the true form of a god would be incomprehensible/insane compared to what we're used to seeing as humans.

Top Bottom