• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Undertale |OT| Indie RPG with determination and spider bake sales

DNAbro

Thanks. But do you mean that people who bought the bundle are getting their pieces separately? I got the bundle but I haven't received anything yet. Or do you mean that people who just ordered the poster have gotten it?

I thought this part was fantastic.
It totally threw me for a loop and kinda freaked me out, which was totally the point. It didn't ruin anything, but in fact tests the player's determination. It's an integral part of the game because it forces the player to walk the walk, so to speak. Almost everything is working against the player, so finishing that fight is all the sweeter.

if you bought things individually they were being sent out I believe but they wanted to wait until they got everything in order for the bundle to be shipped all at once.

I liked the game a lot, but (Neutral spoilers)
getting spooked by Photoshop Flowey kinda ruined it. There are many creepy designs throughout the game that don't break the style, so it's not like it couldn't be done. I'm just surprised that so many people are okay with this.

Nah, I disagree.
Omega Flowey is supposed to be barely comprehensible to the player. Wrecking the entire style, format and presentation of the game around him is an absolutely spot-on way of showing that, rather that just putting a bigger sprite up and telling us that it's a wrong-un. Omega Flowey breaks the game, and it's obvious to the player that he has to be stopped.

Wow!!! Finally did it.

Pacifist True Ending Spoilers:

After getting through the flowey bit (I love the grotesqueness of the design), I eventually made it to Asriel. Right now, the gate is open and I guess the final end-sequence will start. But I'm not ready; I'm walking around asking people what they think about their freedom. Really nice touch that we can do this. This game is so thoughtful about its world and characters. I'm fond of all of them. I can't say that about many games.

And I have to say, while I think the space invaders gameplay can sometimes escalate too quickly in difficulty, the use of it is varied and memorable. I feel that the allowing you to dodge attacks with your own movement (instead of by timed button presses or something) adds an irreplaceable sense of tension and excitement to the ordinary turn-based RPG formula. It's also really intuitive and approachable.

The game also sounds amazing. Great melodies. My favorites include the battle with the Dummy and Undyne's themes. The sound effects for all the characters are also very appropriate and delightful to hear.

This is just my post-cinematic-boss-battle gushing. Couldn't hold it in after going through all that!

Kangi

Wow!!! Finally did it.

Pacifist True Ending Spoilers:

After getting through the flowey bit (I love the grotesqueness of the design), I eventually made it to Asriel. Right now, the gate is open and I guess the final end-sequence will start. But I'm not ready; I'm walking around asking people what they think about their freedom. Really nice touch that we can do this. This game is so thoughtful about its world and characters. I'm fond of all of them. I can't say that about many games.

And I have to say, while I think the space invaders gameplay can sometimes escalate too quickly in difficulty, the use of it is varied and memorable. I feel that the allowing you to dodge attacks with your own movement (instead of by timed button presses or something) adds an irreplaceable sense of tension and excitement to the ordinary turn-based RPG formula. It's also really intuitive and approachable.

The game also sounds amazing. Great melodies. My favorites include the battle with the Dummy and Undyne's themes. The sound effects for all the characters are also very appropriate and delightful to hear.

This is just my post-cinematic-boss-battle gushing. Couldn't hold it in after going through all that!

There's somewhere special in this playable epilogue that you should go to before leaving to see the credits. Won't spoil beyond that, though. You'll know it when you see it.

Syril

You know I was just thinking about how well (neutral-pacifist and true pacifist spoilers)
the fight with Asgore matches up with the story for him. In story, Toriel left and despises him for being cold-hearted enough to come up with a plan that involves murdering children, but so weak-willed that he'd rather string monsterkind along on it for untold time (implied to be generations since by the time of the game almost no one knows who Toriel even is) than get it done with quickly by himself (because he knows it's wrong but can't bring himself to call it off). Through it all, his plan is driving monsterkind to compromise its own values. It's obvious that no monsters of the current generation actually have any malicious intent towards humans, and they frequently have to look for excuses to justify hating or killing Frisk.

In the game, it's constantly reinforced that there's no need to ever kill anyone or even select the Fight command. Against bosses, you've had to go to progressively greater lengths to win without fighting that don't fit the rules of normal encounters, from using the Spare command incessantly to running away to managing a never-before-used Ratings value. The whole time as it's been building up to the fight with Asgore, it's reinforcing the belief that there will be something special you'll be able to do in the battle to win and maintain your pacifism, and Undyne and Sans actually tell Frisk that they're confident they'll find a way. When you finally begin the fight with Asgore, him destroying the Mercy button doesn't immediately send the signal he intends since you haven't beaten a boss with the Spare command since Papyrus. From the pre-fight scenes, it's obvious that he doesn't want to fight either, and some of the actions you can do in battle like Talking and eating Toriel's pie in front of him are clearly weakening his resolve. You might think that the solution is to let him wear you down and realize that he can't bring himself to kill a child himself, and when that doesn't work, he might give up if you have Frisk point out how many times he's killed them. The fact that none of that works despite his acknowledgement and you HAVE to use Fight for the first time in the entire game is potentially a source of great frustration for the player and a sign of how once again, he's committed to a course of action he knows is wrong, and his own unwillingness to admit that make it right is going to force the player to be willing to break their pacific run/force a child to be willing to kill someone, even when it's clear from the Mercy option after the fight that Frisk would rather spend the rest of their life in the Underground than kill someone. It eventually becomes clear from the way he acts and fights (easily losing his resolve, refusing to look Frisk in the eye) that destroying the Mercy button is more for his sake than yours, likely feeling that he doesn't deserve mercy. Just like in the backstory, Asgore is acting in a way that, while sympathetic and well-meaning in his own mind, is ultimately selfish and irresponsible and damaging to other people's right of self-determination (the player and Frisk's in this case).

Bakkus

I'm done with the part where I
Befriended Papyrus
How much of the game have I completed? Btw love both him and Sans already, what a duo.

I heard somewhere that it's possible to do a no-kill run and thought I might as well do it as my first playthrough.

I'm a 100 minutes in but earlier on it seemed like killing
Toriel
was mandatory. Haven't killed anyone else so far, any point in continuing that or did I already mess up?

I heard somewhere that it's possible to do a no-kill run and thought I might as well do it as my first playthrough.

I'm a 100 minutes in but earlier on it seemed like killing
Toriel
was mandatory. Haven't killed anyone else so far, any point in continuing that or did I already mess up?

You messed up.
You just have to hit spare like 20 times. To do a FULL reset, you have to delete the save off appdata/local. You can spare everyone and everything.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
You messed up.
You just have to hit spare like 20 times. To do a FULL reset, you have to delete the save off appdata/local. You can spare everyone and everything.

Well going that far to reset isn't necessary for a new run just hitting reset on the main menu should do just fine. I mean it's not like they killed everyone.

Puruzi

Banned
I disagree. There's really no such thing as messing up the first time you play the game.
Honestly, I think it's best to do a neutral run first.

even if you don't kill anyone, it's still neutral.

it just means you won't have to play the whole game over when you want to do the true pacifist portion.

Dimmle

Ech might as well keep playing, no? Just not with the intent of continuing no-kill thing.

Keep playing. You didn't mess up. The game is better if you do a mixed run before full pacifist, unless you're really strapped for time. There's no optimal path, just different ones.

Dimmle

You have to get the neutral ending to play through the extra pacifist stuff

If you don't kill anyone though, you can just do it right after the neutral ending instead of beating the game again.

Although even if you have to play through the game again, we're talking about three hours of extra time and tons of opportunities to see how things play out when you make different choices. The second play is very fresh.

You have to get the neutral ending to play through the extra pacifist stuff

If you don't kill anyone though, you can just do it right after the neutral ending instead of beating the game again.

qGxFh.png

Puruzi

Banned
Although even if you have to play through the game again, we're talking about three hours of extra time and tons of opportunities to see how things play out when you make different choices. The second play is very fresh.

I guess, but the difference between mixed and Pacifist isn't that great imo.

Genocide is when it gets really different

Dimmle

I found playing again to be pretty gratifying. The game is composed of a plethora of binary decisions that play out fairly differently. For example, killing
Undyne
versus not killing
Undyne

robotrock

Banned
This game keeps on crashing on me, but I'm trying to push through it!

I'm in the middle of the fight with Muffet, the spider lady. Am I close to finishing the game?

(implied to be generations since by the time of the game almost no one knows who Toriel even is)

Actually
it's only been 21 years at most.

The Nose Nuzzle trophy in Asgore's room is from '98(meaning Toriel didn't leave him til after the Nose Nuzzle Championship of that year), and the game itself happens anywhere from 2010 through 2019.

Fat4all

Banned
Actually

The Nose Nuzzle trophy in Asgore's room is from '98(meaning Toriel didn't leave him til after the Nose Nuzzle Championship of that year), and the game itself happens anywhere from 2010 through 2019.

Good point.

I think I've figured out what specifically I dislike about this game.
It's particular fourth-wall related stuff towards the end of the game. Sans' explanation of EXP and LOVE feels heavy-handed to me, and Flowey corrupting your save file feels a little bit done.

Even accounting for those, however, I consider this a 10/10 game and my GOTY.

L95

Actually

Why those years? Those are the years
the first child/Chara
fell down, aren't they? Not the main character,
in the genocide route Chara even comments on the calendar in Toriel's house being from when they fell down.

EDIT: I was wrong about something above
http://undertale.wikia.com/wiki/Genocide_Route#New_Home the calendar is in new home instead of Toriel's like I thought

Syril

Why those years? Those are the years
the first child/Chara
fell down, aren't they? Not the main character,
in the genocide route Chara even comments on the calendar in Toriel's house being from when they fell down.

EDIT: I was wrong about something above
http://undertale.wikia.com/wiki/Genocide_Route#New_Home the calendar is in new home instead of Toriel's like I thought

It's in both, but it's only in Genocide New Home that Chara explicitly points it out. In Toriel's house the first clue you get that the child in the opening isn't the one you're playing as is the description that it's an old calendar from 201X.

mbpm1

It's particular fourth-wall related stuff towards the end of the game. Sans' explanation of EXP and LOVE feels heavy-handed to me, and Flowey corrupting your save file feels a little bit done.

Those are my favourite parts of the game even though they are done.

Sans
thing is "heavy handed" but it's also a subversion of your regular video game expectations. If you went in fully unaware of the multiple endings thing then its a spotlight moment on your actions. I liked it

Jacksepticeye figuring out everything as he plays and the look on his face as he comes to realizations might make it one of the best let's plays of this game I've seen. He really got super invested and absorbed into it and it makes all the shit he tries to figure out something he really cares about.

It's super fun to watch, except his Brooklyn Sans which makes no goddam sense.

Weiss

Banned
So something I never got was when at the MTT restaurant, Sans
says that he would have killed you if it wasn't for Toriel's promise.

Why does he threaten to kill you if he's not interested in making it back to the surface?

mbpm1

Why does he threaten to kill you if he's not interested in making it back to the surface?

Maybe it's not about him.

PSqueak

Banned

Maybe cause
He would want to prevent a human from killing everyone, either because their culture raises them to believe humas are evil, or due to knowledge of other timelines, he knows what could happen, but still honors Toriel's request.

Syril

(No mercy route spoilers)
Sans is pretty jaded from knowing about resets but not being able to do anything about them, so he's probably developed the same cavalier attitude about killing that has has about his various jobs, since he knows that without remembering anything from resets, anything he does might as well have never happened at all. As a result, agreeing to be a sentry and kill any human who passes through the Snowdin area probably isn't a decision he gives any more weight to than deciding to run an illegal hot dog stand. Same for deciding to go back on that at the sudden request of a mysterious stranger entirely because of a shared love of bad jokes.

PSqueak

Banned
Oh yeah, another thing about the Sans deal
For some reason i always assumed he also meant that he protected Frisk from some stuff off screen.

It's super fun to watch, except his Brooklyn Sans which makes no goddam sense.
One of the popular Undertale fan VAs on YouTube does Sans with a Bronx accent. It's a strength of these characters that you can give them multiple unique voices unrelated to how they sound in-game and everything still fits. Maybe I'm just saying this so I can justify Papyrus sounding like Skeletor, lol.

Top Bottom