• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Undertale |OT| Indie RPG with determination and spider bake sales

Finished a pacifist run and I gotta say, the hype is real.
Had me on the verge of bawling for an hour plus through the end and all the way through my victory lap. Walked all the way back to the beginning expecting nothing only to find Asriel there. Even the tutorial frogs had new dialog. Just so thorough. The music kicked into hyper drive as well.

This is a pretty good game.

Syril

Is Undertale really that good?
I'll be honest, it's not like it's completely flawless, but the design is really good at preventing those flaws from coming to the forefront. Other than that, the story is top-notch, and the characters are pretty firmly on my Favorite RPG Characters Ever list.

Anbec7

bought it on a whim and thanks to all the hype GAF was doing... so far the music has been superb.
I bought the sountrack in steam where is it?! lol

Early spoilers...

I decided to take the pacifist run seeing that you can do that, I "fought" against Toriel and because I could not make her stop I was this close to fight her then I noticed that... the attacks avoid you in the end on low health, what a shocking way of making you learn.

I hope I get a good ending, then I will try the genocide thing and see how awful that is.

L95

bought it on a whim and thanks to all the hype GAF was doing... so far the music has been superb.
I bought the sountrack in steam where is it?! lol

Steam > steamapps > common > Undertale > Undertale Soundtrack folder

(Or open up the steam on your computer, go to library, games left click Undertale go to properties then go to the local files tab, then select browse local files.)

Pez

Man, I wish this would get a mobile release of some kind. I'd love to play this game while I'm traveling for the holidays.

Granjinha

It's a game with quirky humor and great music. Clunky, but charming graphics.

If anyone gets extremely hyped and becomes disappointed because of their hype, then that's their own darned fault.

I really think that's underselling it. It's one of my all-time favorite games. It's fantastic, even in it's limited nature.

Misha

Banned
I decided to try Undertale about a month ago, played it about an hour and just couldn't enjoy the combat system. After waiting awhile I watched a lets play of it and I gotta say, I completely understand the hype now. While I think the writing has very internetish humor that isn't exactly my cup of tea(though I find temmie adorable), the game does a great job of driving its points home and I'm impressed with how divergent the different paths are. Can't say I'm gonna give it another shot with playing it but I'm glad that I gave Toby my money.

Oh and I love Muffet's design. Wouldn't expect such a good addition from a kickstarter backer thing.

Kieli

I really think that's underselling it. It's one of my all-time favorite games. It's fantastic, even in it's limited nature.

I'm underselling it on purpose too. It's one of my favourite games of all time, but when I'm recommending, I never say that.

I want people to go in with reasonable expectations.

Menome

I'm underselling it on purpose too. It's one of my favourite games of all time, but when I'm recommending, I never say that.

I want people to go in with reasonable expectations.

Yeah...if I'd gone in with lower expectations, I might have ended up loving it. As it is, I like it as a game with charming characters and a novel battle-experience, but it's not wowed me in the way I was told it was going to wow me.

orioto

Good Art™
So i finished it, for those interested

CV0ksJyWIAEQORx.jpg:large

You can find walls and limited prints in my thread.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
OK, GAF. I just bought the Undertale, just because people I usually agree with keep mentioning it. I don't really know anything about it

Firing it up now

Dryk

It's left more of an impression on me than basically any game I can remember.

It's this generation's Earthbound.
The Pacifist ending beats Earthbound at its own game imo

Gen 1 is the worst and imo doesn't hold up today. Gold and Silver hold up a bit better.
To be perfectly honest nothing before the Physical/Special split holds up that well. But Gen I really doesn't hold up. Watching people complain that people who prefer Undertale aren't old enough to have played Gen I are hilarious too.

Just wondering if I wanna do a Genocide run would I have to do it following my pacifist run?

I did my first run on my neutral run PC then did the second on pacifist run my Mac. There's something about a true pacifist ending? What's that? According to Steam I don't have anything saved in the cloud so the run I did on the Mac was fresh for all intents and purposes.

I'm confused.

FluxWaveZ

Just wondering if I wanna do a Genocide run would I have to do it following my pacifist run?

I did my first run on my neutral run PC then did the second on pacifist run my Mac. There's something about a true pacifist ending? What's that? According to Steam I don't have anything saved in the cloud so the run I did on the Mac was fresh for all intents and purposes.

I'm confused.

To get the Pacifist ending, your save needs to have had the Neutral ending done. Which means if you went Pacifist on your first run and finished the game, you need to
read what was said to you by Flowey
and reload your save (and NOT start a new game). There is a lot of content you're missing.

To get the Pacifist ending, your save needs to have had the Neutral ending done. Which means if you went Pacifist on your first run and finished the game, you need to
read what was said to you by Flowey
and reload your save (and NOT start a new game). There is a lot of content you're missing.

motherfuck

Any idea as to what i missed on a fresh pacifist? He says
start over without killing anyone after I spared him
which I went and did but elsewhere. After the the events of the neutral end the game legit lasted me another 2-3 hours.
Fought Flowey's true form. Broke the barrier and the monsters left the underground. Stayed behind with them and Toriel left me a slice of pie. The End

FluxWaveZ

Oh wait, wait, I misunderstood what you were saying then: I thought you had went for Pacifist on a whole other save on a different computer, but you hadn't reloaded to see it through. You've seen everything that there was to see on the Pacifist route.

Example: The first time I went through the game, I went through fulfilling the conditions for a Pacifist route. However, what I got was the Neutral ending because all players apparently need to see that one first. I then reloaded my save, which unlocked the path towards the Pacifist route from that point on, which meant I didn't need to do a whole other playthrough.

That means all you've got left is the Genocide route.

Kinsei

Banned
motherfuck

Any idea as to what i missed on a fresh pacifist? He says
start over without killing anyone after I spared him
which I went and did but elsewhere. After the the events of the neutral end the game legit lasted me another 2-3 hours.
Fought Flowey's true form. Broke the barrier and the monsters left the underground. Stayed behind with them and Toriel left me a slice of pie. The End

It sounds like you did get teh true pacifist ending. Did you
fight Asriel?

It sounds like you did get teh true pacifist ending. Did you
fight Asriel?

Yup. Oh I meant his
true true form
. Sorry if I was being confusing.

I've got 2 save files on two different computers now, one neutral and one pacifist. If I wanted to start a genocide run would I have to follow up on a particular one or am I free to choose either?

Shame that cloud support doesn't really do anything

Kinsei

Banned
Yup. Oh I meant his
true true form
. Sorry if I was being confusing.

I've got 2 save files on two different computers now, one neutral and one pacifist. If I wanted to start a genocide run would I have to follow up on a particular one or am I free to choose either?

Shame that cloud support doesn't really do anything

Either should be fine. You should look up how to actually start a genocide run. It's not as simple as it seems.

FluxWaveZ

If I wanted to start a genocide run would I have to follow up on a particular one or am I free to choose either?

If you care about the "sanctity of your save," you might want to do it on the Undertale save you care the least about (or the most...), but you can pretty much do it on any of them. And yeah, you should look up the actual requirements to start up and continue a Genocide route.

I like this game so much.

I wish there was some way to translate it into other languages, my wife does not know enough english to get into it, but I am sure she would love Undertale's charming world and characters.

If you care about the "sanctity of your save," you might want to do it on the Undertale save you care the least about (or the most...), but you can pretty much do it on any of them. And yeah, you should look up the actual requirements to start up and continue a Genocide route.

Cool. I'll keep my
super happy ending
save file. Weren't counting on me having 2 computers were you
Flowey?
hahaha

So the long and short of a genocide run is
I gotta grind each zone until no one shows up any more and the music flips before I proceed
?

Kinsei

Banned
Keeping my
super happy ending
save file

Weren't counting on me having 2 computers were you
Flowey?

I gotta grind each zone until no one shows up any more and the music flips
?

Yep.
Make sure you kill everything before fighting the boss of the area too. Once you make it out of the ruins the save point will tell you how many enemies are left.

Eusis

Is Undertale really that good?
If we're strictly comparing it to OG Pokemon Red and Blue? To be honest I'd probably put what little I played of Undertale above that anyway, just because we're talking a game that's a bit creaky and has more refined installments to play instead versus a one-of-a-kind experience that is a reasonably smooth playing.

KC Denton

Cool. I'll keep my
super happy ending
save file. Weren't counting on me having 2 computers were you
Flowey?
hahaha

I gotta grind each zone until no one shows up any more and the music flips before I proceed
?

FYI the game
uses Steam Cloud for exactly one thing.

I wish there was some way to translate it into other languages, my wife does not know enough english to get into it, but I am sure she would love Undertale's charming world and characters.
I don't think it'd be as simple as modding it. Toby seems pretty keen on the concept, though. I recall at least the demo being translated to a different language, so who knows? Maybe we'll see other, full translations down the road depending on interest.

Deft Beck

I don't think it'd be as simple as modding it. Toby seems pretty keen on the concept, though. I recall at least the demo being translated to a different language, so who knows? Maybe we'll see other, full translations down the road depending on interest.

Toby is working with the publisher Playism to translate Undertale to Japanese, at least.

Amén, man. I'd love to help in translating/testing Undertale for Spanish, I adored this game and I want more people to experience it.

I can already think of some tricky stuff pertaining Spanish though, like how everyone intentionally uses they/them pronouns for Frisk, or
the true meaning of EXP and LV/LOVE
. A skilled translator can absolutely do it justice, but it's not an easy game to localize if you want to keep things like those intact, I think.

Are we expecting any more content for the game at any point, or is it as finished as it's ever going to be? I'm not ready to let go yet.

Like hell am I doing a genocide run. Get out of here with that nonsense.

Saikyo

Are we expecting any more content for the game at any point, or is it as finished as it's ever going to be? I'm not ready to let go yet.

Toby thinked for awhile to make more content but said on Twitter that the next patch will be only for bug fixes so dont hold your breath.

DNAbro

Sadly no. Toby mentioned he left possible avenues for more content in the game but decided to put his time elsewhere. We can expect an official comic to be coming though.

Weiss

Banned

The obvious additions would be Hard Mode and
a Gaster storyline and boss battle
, but I'm okay with Undertale remaining as is. If we got a ton of new content like
extra Genocide bosses
that made us want to revisit the game, I think that'd cut into
Toby's intended message with the Pacifist and Genocide endings.

Finished Undertale, and those final moments hit me like a ton of breaks. ingenious!!!
I'm glad I didn't do the pacifist ending it really wouldn't have been as powerful as this. Havent seen it yet, but i'll be jumping back in for the 2nd playthrough.

"Then why did you kill my brother?" Man......

Big thanks to everyone here who convinced me to get it. What an experience this was.

FluxWaveZ

I'm glad I didn't do the pacifist ending it really wouldn't have been as powerful as this.

It's not a spoiler, so I'll openly repeat: You would have seen that ending whether or not you followed the Pacifist route. Every player will always see the Neutral ending no matter how they play, unless they specifically go for Genocide. From what I was told, It's just that players who follow the Pacifist route first will have to reload, which will set them back at the final save point but also immediately open up the avenue to the Pacifist ending.

It's not a spoiler, so I'll openly repeat: You would have seen that ending whether or not you followed the Pacifist route. Every player will always see the Neutral ending no matter how they play, unless they specifically go for Genocide. From what I was told, It's just that players who follow the Pacifist route first will have to reload, which will set them back at the final save point but also immediately open up the avenue to the Pacifist ending.

Oh! I see. Thanks. What are the requirements for "Genocide'? Anything else I should know for the Pacifist route?

Oh! I see. Thanks. What are the requirements for "Genocide'? Anything else I should know for the Pacifist route?

Genocide -
Kill everything. EVERYTHING. In the Ruins, run around killing every single enemy you fight in a random battle. Eventually they will stop coming. Kill Toriel. You are now on the Genocide Route. Repeat this in every area. make sure you get the "But no one came..." message for killing all random battle enemies before advancing to the bosses.

FluxWaveZ

Only thing you need to know for Pacifist route is to not kill a single thing or else it's immediately over.

There are a couple instances where you might not know how to proceed in an encounter if you killed instead, but you'll deal with that when it happens.

For Genocide, the requirements are on the wikia page, but there are some spoilers there. Basically:

Kill everything in an area without ever sparing a single thing. Continue forcing encounters and killing BEFORE going against an area's boss, and until the music changes. You'll know you've succeeded when the music changes, when the only thing a save point says when you interact with it is "Determination," and when the text box during a subsequent encounter just says "But no one came..." and there is no monster to fight in that area any longer.

After the Ruins, save points will indicate how many monsters you need to kill in a given area to continue along with the route.

Number of kills per area:
Ruins: 20 kills
Snowdin: 16 kills
Waterfall: 18 kills
Hotland/Core: 40 kills

Amén, man. I'd love to help in translating/testing Undertale for Spanish, I adored this game and I want more people to experience it.

I can already think of some tricky stuff pertaining Spanish though, like how everyone intentionally uses they/them pronouns for Frisk, or
the true meaning of EXP and LV/LOVE
. A skilled translator can absolutely do it justice, but it's not an easy game to localize if you want to keep things like those intact, I think.

That's cool, I'd also want to translate it into spanish. Latin or European spanish?

In Spanish
I've seen games translate "EXP" into "PX" (Puntos Experiencia). Call it PX so that you can call it Puntos de Exterminio.

As for LV/LOVE, yeah this one is difficult. Just call it AM for Amor and "Amenaza". The more PX you earn, the bigger your AM will be. I think it sounds good!. Although yes, not as great as LV/Love

Top Bottom