• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Undertale |OT| Indie RPG with determination and spider bake sales

Toby has kinda talked about the difficulty of translating the game to Japanese which is the one being done right now with the puns and stuff like that. I'd imagine it is a very hard game to localize.

For Genocide, the requirements are on the wikia page, but there are some spoilers there. Basically:

Kill everything in an area without ever sparing a single thing. Continue forcing encounters and killing BEFORE going against an area's boss, and until the music changes

Just to clarify, when you say area boss are you referring to the following?

Toriel
Papyrus
Undyne
Muffet

HoodWinked

So i finished it, for those interested

CV0ksJyWIAEQORx.jpg:large

You can find walls and limited prints in my thread.

frisk looks like a lamp

Clunker

Just finished the game for the first time. Went in totally blind and thought after
first game crash with Flowey
"huh, that's a bit of a terse ending."

Then I tried it again.

Then my mind fell apart.

Can't wait to try it again! I couldn't help myself and spoiled the other endings, but will still try a True Pacifist run now.

Damn this game is so good. Probably my second favorite game in the last 5 years after The Witcher 3. I'm mad at myself for taking this long to play this.

Starting this tonight boys! Going in with no previous info or expectations. Just played Her Story and found it amazing so going to start shifting towards playing more indie games.

That's cool, I'd also want to translate it into spanish. Latin or European spanish?

In Spanish
I've seen games translate "EXP" into "PX" (Puntos Experiencia). Call it PX so that you can call it Puntos de Exterminio.

As for LV/LOVE, yeah this one is difficult. Just call it AM for Amor and "Amenaza". The more PX you earn, the bigger your AM will be. I think it sounds good!. Although yes, not as great as LV/Love
European in my case. :) Cool ideas,
I was thinking of possible ways to use "NV" because a lot of games use it, like having the player assume it stands for "nivel", like always, when it's actually "N. V." = "nivel de VIOLENCIA" heheh, very lazy but it works, although you lose the "love" aspect of the original entirely...
See, it'd take a lot of (fun) brainstorming to get this right. I'd love to work on a Spanish localization with other fans!

Toby has kinda talked about the difficulty of translating the game to Japanese which is the one being done right now with the puns and stuff like that. I'd imagine it is a very hard game to localize.
For sure.

PSqueak

Banned
European in my case. :) Cool ideas,
I was thinking of possible ways to use "NV" because a lot of games use it, like having the player assume it stands for "nivel", like always, when it's actually "N. V." = "nivel de VIOLENCIA" heheh, very lazy but it works, although you lose the "love" aspect of the original entirely...
See, it'd take a lot of (fun) brainstorming to get this right. I'd love to work on a Spanish localization with other fans!

For sure.

Well, i made the rounds checking some dictionaries, this might be a bit contrived and literally no one speaks like this when talking RPGs, but here are a few ideas.
PEX = Puntos de Experincia = Puntos de Exterminio
CA = Categoria (instead of Nivel) = Cariño = Categoria de Amenaza

Took some from what was already pitched, i think the second one is not that bad since
It's not that different from how LV turns into LOVE in the game
, it's just that it feels abit forced cause no one uses that word like that except for natural disasters. However there is the fact that
Cariño
is not fit for an acronym, so we would have to just state that
Flowey was blatantly lying.

Alternatively, to build up on Psyrgery ES' idea
AMR = AMOR = "AMenaza Ofensiva de Rango"

The idea is if you see it "AMR 1", then the 1 ties into the word Rango (Rank) so it is something like "Ofensive Menace Rank 1", but the problem here is the acronym is awkward as fuck, and AMR doesn't really comes close to anything Resembling "Level"
Definitely translating this game would require several compromises.

But then,
How do you jam the "LOVE" and Love bits into it?
I still think Psyrgery's is the best bet because it's the most straightforward plus it takes character limits into account - those could be unavoidable for all we know. Coming up with a more natural acronym would be a matter of time and bouncing off ideas between several people. :)

It'd also be fun coming up with puns/jokes for Toriel and Sans...

La idea de ver Undertale traducido al español te llena de determinación.

DNAbro

It's fun to see nerds' jimmies getting rustled, but i cannot in good conciense vote against SM64.

The only game i consider better than Undertale is Majora's Mask and that got beat out by A Link to the Past(which I don't even consider the best 2D zelda). So definitely no problem putting Undertale above everything else.

Sölf

yeah Undertale's run should stop here imo

Super Mario is just too important, even with a Sansvatar

I still think in the ends it's personal taste. I enjoyed SM64 back then, but I never finished it. No 120 stars and I think I also never beat the final bowser. I also simply prefer JRPGs, so that's another plus for Undertale.

Weiss

Banned
The salt is beyond hilarious, but I'm actually really glad at Undertale's progress. It's been going up against games in the historical canon of best games ever. Massive, AAA games that have left marks on the industry, and this quirky little indie game that came out less than three months ago is sweeping them.

Eusis

I voted SM64 just to be honest with myself (and I probably literally doubled the time I've played the game . . . reaching over an hour of total gameplay) but I do like the fact it's getting so high.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
At this point, Undertale is going to win it.
If SM64 couldn't do it, Melee ain't either. Nor is any Zelda, and MGS3 has relatively no chance either.
If the one, original Pokèmon couldn't...

Kangi

If SM64 couldn't do it, Melee ain't either. Nor is any Zelda, and MGS3 has relatively no chance either.

Don't doubt Melee fans.

I fully expect the train to stop here, but it was a great run.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Don't doubt Melee fans.

Well, Melee could be the last chance, since it's community is seemingly very active on gamefaqs - i mean, it's beat FFVII in this season.

Zubz

Banned

As much as I love Undertale, I'd actually be annoyed that it's beating superior games so handily (Let's be real here, though; ME3 deserved to get stomped on). But I actually cared about this poll when I was younger, back when it was about characters and it was never not won by Cloud, Link, and/or the L-Block from Tetris. I know the people that voted for those 3 aren't the same people voting for Undertale, but I'm glad to see people get rightfully salty over that poll.

Eusis

Don't doubt Melee fans.

Yeah, if they can get that far ahead of Final Fantasy VII, the game seemingly half the internet was begging to be remade and driving insane a good chunk of that other half in the process, then Undertale only stands a chance through sheer scorn, probably.

Still stuck on (genocide spoiler)
Undyne the Undying
Got to about a third health but the attack patterns by that point were completely insane. That and I shoulda killed more Aarons because it turns out I coulda been 1 level higher. Damn it Washua.

Comments so far on the differences I've noticed between the other 2 runs.
Papyrus acting real jumpy around you was kind of sad. The way Frisk walks through all the puzzles, this dude is a demon. Speaking of puzzles, all of them being solved already was some mind blown shit. Everyone getting the fuck away. Snowdin being abandoned, wow. The shop being self service too and instead of the buy prompt it's all steal. I like how the characterization of the silent protagonist is switched up. Characters react in an anticipatory manner to the stuff you've already done and not just shocked when you do something else.

Now to kill their hero and proceed.

edit: Nothing to do with anything but this is pretty much my new Danganronpa as far as completely avoiding Youtube for fear of spoilers. Seen most of what the game has to offer so I thought I'd look for one of the tracks (For The Fans I think). Somehow one of the first results is (what I assume to be a big genocide spoiler)
super Sans
. Someone needs to make a spoiler-phobic extension for chrome. Hide all recommended sidebar and related videos in search.

FluxWaveZ

Comments so far on the differences I've noticed between the other 2 runs.
Papyrus acting real jumpy around you was kind of sad. The way Frisk walks through all the puzzles, this dude is a demon. Speaking of puzzles, all of them being solved already was some mind blown shit. Everyone getting the fuck away. Snowdin being abandoned, wow. The shop being self service too and instead of the buy prompt it's all steal. I like how the characterization of the silent protagonist is switched up. Characters react in an anticipatory manner to the stuff you've already done and not just shocked when you do something else.

Now to kill their hero and proceed.

There are a ton of small touches that make the Genocide run what it is.
One of them that you didn't mention here is how during a normal run, you can take the snowman piece in a cute little moment where the snowman asks you to take a part of him on your adventure. During the Genocide run, however, your character takes a piece... and then another... and then another, all while he begs for you to stop. Until he's reduced to an unrecognizable pile of snow.

One of them that you didn't mention here is how during a normal run, you can take the snowman piece in a cute little moment where the snowman asks you to take a part of him on your adventure. During the Genocide run, however, your character takes a piece... and then another... and then another, all while he begs for you to stop. Until he's reduced to an unrecognizable pile of snow.

What the fuck?

As evil as that sounds, I regret skipping him

Make sure to explore all of that kind of stuff, and also talk to the vendors. What makes the Genocide run awesome are those changes from the Normal run that define its atmosphere.

Yeah definitely.
Salty I missed out on an opportunity at multiple snow man pieces.

I'm a monster.

Man, FUCK the genocide run.

shaowebb

Don't doubt Melee fans.

At this point all I can think of is the Daniel Bryan cage match gif every time Undertale shows up and edges out a God from the list. Fallout 3, Mass Effect 3, Pokemon Red/Blue, Super Mario 64...people's champ here folks. Undertale is goin' in and rising hard with the players of the world.

If it comes down to Ocarina of Time vs Undertale though then I'd say it'll lose. It'll be close vs Melee.

I don't understand the greatest game of all time polls. The same 10 games are gonna be there for eternity - Ocarina of Time, Super Mario Bros, Super Mario 64, FF7, MGS1 etc

Top Bottom