• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Undertale |OT| Indie RPG with determination and spider bake sales

DNAbro

welp

looks like we got a goat

latest

Had good seeding, so nostalgia carried it pretty far. I mean, it's one of the RPG greats, but better RPGs fell way too early.

It's a good game but not even in my top 3 mario RPGs.

Moonlight

Banned
Why not? many others are having a laugh about "salty nerds", is it different just because im having a laugh specifically at melee nerds being salty?
...uh, yes. It is different. Because there's kind of a difference between 'laughing at salty nerds' and taking a thread and running with it with LOL BY THE WAY MELEE/WHATEVER GAME SUCKS HAHA. We didn't need any of this shit when FF7 fans were getting salty over Undertale, and rightfully, no one in here took the opportunity to go 'by the way, FF7 and its' fans are trash loser salty nerds'. It's just not cool, and completely unnecessary for the thread unless you actually have some posts to cite over salty people.

Like, my opinion of UT beating Melee was 'wow, it should go all the way now' because of the enormity of what actually happened for how huge Melee was and has remained to be, and consequently how big of a deal it is that Undertale beat it.

Don't be a sore winner. This is the Undertale thread, not the 'I wish everyone just moved on from Melee' thread. You can refer to like literally every Smash thread ever made since Melee's inception for that.

Puruzi

Banned
Good, no sympathy for melee fans, they need to move on and get with the program.

I voted SM64, but i dance on the grave of Melee. Let them cry.

jesus what?

" they need to move on and get with the program."

people are allowed to like and play older games.

Bought and started this game yesterday.

Holy crap, it's so damn good. The soundtrack, the art, characters, the battle system. I only regret not buying this game sooner.

This song is great :D "Dummy" fight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZ_H-_NI4SU

This track is so good. One of my favourites next to Bonetrousle and Death By Glamour. There are some other good ones too but they lose a few points for impairing my ability to see.

ChrisD

Oh gosh I forgot that poll was a thing, now I wish I didn't click the thread.

Was popping in to see why the thread was still active in Gaming... Got GameFAQs on GAF. :|

(No, but really, I thought threads moved to Community by now?)

Third time through and going the genocide route. Any tips? My aim is to make it as fast and brutal as possible. Even if I can cheese the system, I'm down.

Bought and started this game yesterday.

Holy crap, it's so damn good. The soundtrack, the art, characters, the battle system. I only regret not buying this game sooner.

This song is great :D "Dummy" fight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZ_H-_NI4SU

Totally dig the song, but the more I listen to it, the more it sounds like a ska remix of Spider Dance. Maybe it's just me. But Spider Dance is one of the best songs in the game, so that's a good thing.

Totally dig the song, but the more I listen to it, the more it sounds like a ska remix of Spider Dance. Maybe it's just me. But Spider Dance is one of the best songs in the game, so that's a good thing.

Well, I mean, it pretty much is! Ghost Fight, Dummy!, and Spider Dance all share a common theme. There's leitmotifs like that through all of the game. Go back and listen to Another Medium, Core, and Death by Glamour, for example. Same kind of thing going on there.

Third time through and going the genocide route. Any tips? My aim is to make it as fast and brutal as possible. Even if I can cheese the system, I'm down.

Don't skip the pie at the start (and save it for a rainy day), take the snowman piece
s
, and stock up on healing items at Snowdin.

Don't fuck yourself over not having a bunch of healing items in places where you can't really backtrack like I've done.

The_Descolada

Neo Member
One of the more interesting analyses of this whole gamefaqs situation I've seen is that the current results of the poll are living proof that the most outspoken/elitest bunch of gamers are in actuality a small minority of gamers as a whole. The people rallying against Undertale and spamming their twitters to try and get votes however they can are losing to a ton of people on various social media sites like Tumblr simply seeing a post about it, clicking the link if they feel like it, and voting for Undertale. No massive SJW conspiracy, just people voting for a game they enjoyed.

Also I find it hilarious that melee was defeated by casuals

MrBadger

It's kinda dumb when people go too far in the opposite direction and start shitting all over the games Undertale is beating. I voted Undertale then but the subreddit started trying to devalue Super Mario World as a shitty clone of 3 when it lost.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Gotten stuck into this recently and overall I'm really enjoying it, mainly due to the writing and scenarios and the inventive situations that leads to. I also like the mini-game like challenge of combat while doing a pacifist run as it turns the game into more of a puzzler.

That being said I think the health system is pretty fucking shitty while doing a pacifist run. I get why it's there, to balance out the game in offering combat and to prevent you from coasting through. There has to be some challenge. And I feel not knowing there's a pacifist run would make it all the more interesting. As it is though once you're committed to a pacifist run, and suck like I do, the actual challenge is more of a deterrent in pacing than anything else. There's no real complexity to the mini-games themselves, instead just a rudimentary "dodge things" with iffy hitboxes and at times obscene (eg 5pts+) damage. In a combat run the micromanagement of health/battles/tactics makes sense. In a pacifist puzzler run it's just kinda meh, as death equates to simply having to retread any work done since the last checkpoint with no real incentive to restrategise. Death instead becomes a tedious burden rather than a complex meta game of risk/reward, because you're sure as shit not going to abandon a pacifist run when you're so deep in. Every death is the game just demanding you spend more time for no real reason, and I think that's kinda sucky and detrimental to the pacing.

But I'm kinda sucky so it's probably a problem on my end. And the game is GOTY best game ever yadda yadda so my thoughts on the matter are a minority.

Whatever. Shit Game Maker holdovers thankfully don't deter from the lovely writing and concept.

Saikyo

There's no real complexity to the mini-games themselves, instead just a rudimentary "dodge things" with iffy hitboxes and at times obscene (eg 5pts+) damage. In a combat run the micromanagement of health/battles/tactics makes sense. In a pacifist puzzler run it's just kinda meh, as death equates to simply having to retread any work done since the last checkpoint with no real incentive to restrategise. Death instead becomes a tedious burden rather than a complex meta game of risk/reward, because you're sure as shit not going to abandon a pacifist run when you're so deep in. Every death is the game just demanding you spend more time for no real reason, and I think that's kinda sucky and detrimental to the pacing.

But I'm kinda sucky so it's probably a problem on my end. And the game is GOTY best game ever yadda yadda so my thoughts on the matter are a minority.

You gonna have so much fun trying the other ending.

no you wont

Gotten stuck into this recently and overall I'm really enjoying it, mainly due to the writing and scenarios and the inventive situations that leads to. I also like the mini-game like challenge of combat while doing a pacifist run as it turns the game into more of a puzzler.

That being said I think the health system is pretty fucking shitty while doing a pacifist run. I get why it's there, to balance out the game in offering combat and to prevent you from coasting through. There has to be some challenge. And I feel not knowing there's a pacifist run would make it all the more interesting. As it is though once you're committed to a pacifist run, and suck like I do, the actual challenge is more of a deterrent in pacing than anything else. There's no real complexity to the mini-games themselves, instead just a rudimentary "dodge things" with iffy hitboxes and at times obscene (eg 5pts+) damage. In a combat run the micromanagement of health/battles/tactics makes sense. In a pacifist puzzler run it's just kinda meh, as death equates to simply having to retread any work done since the last checkpoint with no real incentive to restrategise. Death instead becomes a tedious burden rather than a complex meta game of risk/reward, because you're sure as shit not going to abandon a pacifist run when you're so deep in. Every death is the game just demanding you spend more time for no real reason, and I think that's kinda sucky and detrimental to the pacing.

Whatever. Shit Game Maker holdovers thankfully don't deter from the lovely writing and concept.
There's small degrees of strategising in some battles, but you're right on the whole. The enemies with interesting ripples to them beyond "dodge" are a little too rare, and most of the time the only thing you can do is learn the attack patterns. I'm not tremendously skilled at the bullet-hell genre either, and that made some of the later encounters quite punishing. There are tricks to most of the later difficult ones, but they usually involve some type of item that you are able to miss or lose, which is not ideal either.

Depending on how deep you are into it, there's also armour that can help you boost your defence, but it's going to take some backtracking and grinding (or save editing) to obtain it.

MrBadger

I think the issue there is just going into the game with the knowledge that you're not meant to kill anything. On my first play through, I murdered my goat mum and killed a few enemies so while I struggled on the late game enemies, I had more health and damage to work with while I figured out the best strategies to win. When I went back with the knowledge that murder in any situation = bad, the game was way easier because I just knew how to end battles quickly.

Beaulieu

So ive bought this seeing all of the GOTY listing it
I've just reached
snowdin
and really don't think there's much to it so far....
does it get better ? I feel like there's something I'm missing... feels like a student project.

mbpm1

I've just reached
snowdin
does it get better ? I feel like there's something I'm missing... feels like a student project.

It does get better. Keep going.

Sölf

I've just reached
snowdin

I didn't warm up to the game until I finished like 2/3 of the first playthrough. Some fun things were there, but eh. Nothing special. But damn, by the end of my first playthrough the game blew my mind and it only became better after that.

PSqueak

Banned
GmITtwi.jpg

Epilogue minor spoilers
I laughed when one of the new dialogue options with the tortoise shopkeeper is "Is Asgore a goat" and then doesn't answer that question

And then he rambles about that one time Toriel thought everyone was making fun of her for looking "like a cow".

Is to lighten the mood after he tells you
Asgore will outlive Frisk, and then you realize Toriel will also outlive all her students in her topside world School.

DNAbro

Just got my Undertale Bundle Fangamer stuff in! If you ordered the bundle I assume it's coming real soon if you don't already have it. The little art card that comes with it is so goddamn adorable.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Just got my Undertale Bundle Fangamer stuff in! If you ordered the bundle I assume it's coming real soon if you don't already have it. The little art card that comes with it is so goddamn adorable.

Do they ship before they change the status to fufilled? Was just waiting on mine to ship so if they come in today or tomorrow that'd be great.

L95

My fangamer stuff hasn't shipped yet either, but I was gonna wait a couple more days.

I only ordered a single shirt, though, not the bundle.

I've just reached
snowdin

The game coasts on its humor for a little while but in the next area you get a lot of insight into the history of the underground world the monsters occupy. It keeps going from there. There's a reason for everything and I don't mean it in a "You will be ashamed of your words and deeds" kind of way.

Kangi

Top Bottom