• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Undertale |OT| Indie RPG with determination and spider bake sales

Saikyo

Ok, Flowely has killed me about 20 times now. When does it end? I'm only given the option to do 1 damage to him at certain moments.

Determi...there are 6 phases, one for every soul, you keep dodging and press the "fight button" and then enter in another part of the fight thats themed with one of the souls, If I remember well you cant die in these, recover hp in these and repeat 6 times.

The game does keep saving what souls you "rescued" in the fight so keep playing : p

Finaj

Well, I defeated Flowey and got the neutral ending. Onto the True Pacifist ending! Also, never guessed that Toriel is Asgore's ex-wife. Seems kind of obvious in hindsight.

Hyoukokun

Well, I defeated Flowey and got the neutral ending. Onto the True Pacifist ending! Also, never guessed that Toriel is Asgore's ex-wife. Seems kind of obvious in hindsight.

Do you have the OST, by any chance?
The theme from Heartache - the song that plays when you fight Toriel - recurs in ASGORE. There are tons of other little hints along the way, like when you talk to Napstablook at his snail farm and he tells you about his two main customers...

Have fun with the True Pacifist ending! Pretty sure you're going to enjoy it a lot.

Wow. Really upset at the moment.

Genocide Run:

So apparently I was supposed to kill every enemy before killing Mettaton. I saved afterward, and I just learned that no enemies will appear anymore, so I'm fucked out of my Genocide Run. Think I'm done with this game. Don't feel like playing through it all over again especially after it took me so long to beat Undyne.

Acerac

Banned
So, Undyne x Alphys, huh? I support this ship. Another date mini game is always welcome.

I can dig it.
Wow. Really upset at the moment.

Genocide Run:

So apparently I was supposed to kill every enemy before killing Mettaton. I saved afterward, and I just learned that no enemies will appear anymore, so I'm fucked out of my Genocide Run. Think I'm done with this game. Don't feel like playing through it all over again especially after it took me so long to beat Undyne.

Happened to me 3 days ago.

Still steaming over it.

I can dig it.

Still steaming over it.

I really think it retroactively soured me on the game. I ended up watching the ending on YouTube and there's quite a bit I don't understand. But oh well.

I knew I had to kill every enemy of course, but I expected a warning similar to the Undyne portion of the game. You can't do it for one section and then not do it for the other.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
I can dig it.

Still steaming over it.

I really think it retroactively soured me on the game. I ended up watching the ending on YouTube and there's quite a bit I don't understand. But oh well.

I knew I had to kill every enemy of course, but I expected a warning similar to the Undyne portion of the game. You can't do it for one section and then not do it for the other.

https://crumblingstatue.github.io/FloweysTimeMachine/

Finaj

Just got the True Pacifist Ending. That has to be one of the most satisfying endings I've ever played. Only downside is that it's over :(

(And no, Genocide at this point isn't possible for me to do).

if i just did the true pacifist ending, I can just reset and start the masochist path? I dont need to edit the ini or anything weird like that?

Zubz

Banned
Do you have the OST, by any chance?
The theme from Heartache - the song that plays when you fight Toriel - recurs in ASGORE. There are tons of other little hints along the way, like when you talk to Napstablook at his snail farm and he tells you about his two main customers...

Have fun with the True Pacifist ending! Pretty sure you're going to enjoy it a lot.

There's a weird flowchart out there, and although the numbers of the songs aren't the same as on the OST... and it doesn't have a key... But it shows how many recurring leitmotifs this game has. It's kind of crazy, honestly. Like, even the most minor of songs get in on the action, like
"Song that Might Play When You Fight Sans." The bulk of it is a Mega Man X-y version of Sans' theme, which itself is an upbeat version of "It's Raining Somewhere."

There's a channel with a fair number of them, though. Check it out, but be wary of spoilers!

1upsuper

How do you put music from other sources into the iTunes library?

In the top left drop-down menu in iTunes there should be an "Add file to iTunes" or some such option. It'll let you import music from your computer. It's pretty tedious because you have to actually highlight the music files individually and can't add whole folders, AFAIK. At least, I've never been able to figure out how.

I'd also recommend getting it off of Bandcamp, because Steam and Apple take a bigger cut than Bandcamp.

Zubz

Banned
In the top left drop-down menu in iTunes there should be an "Add file to iTunes" or some such option. It'll let you import music from your computer. It's pretty tedious because you have to actually highlight the music files individually and can't add whole folders, AFAIK. At least, I've never been able to figure out how.

I'd also recommend getting it off of Bandcamp, because Steam and Apple take a bigger cut than Bandcamp.

I actually have a quick question about that. The Bandcamp and Steam pages for the OST only list tracks up to
ASGORE
, and are missing songs from the endings of all of the routes. The Steam link explicitly says that there's "extras," so I'm assuming these missing songs are included in the Steam download, but I don't see any mention of this on Bandcamp. Are these additional songs added as "secret" tracks if I purchase via Bandcamp, or are they only available on Steam?

DNAbro

I actually have a quick question about that. The Bandcamp and Steam pages for the OST only list tracks up to
ASGORE
, and are missing songs from the endings of all of the routes. The Steam link explicitly says that there's "extras," so I'm assuming these missing songs are included in the Steam download, but I don't see any mention of this on Bandcamp. Are these additional songs added as "secret" tracks if I purchase via Bandcamp, or are they only available on Steam?

they are available on both. It just hides them cause they might be considered spoilers.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
jrFkPnj.png

It should be in the starting menu when you boot the game should you have a controller plugged in.

Ended it yesterday. Didn't kill anything the entire game or gained any experience or whatever. After the ending I was told I could reload my save file to get a "better" ending, so I guess I missed some stuff. Will do that stuff I guess.

Anyway, what an awesome experience. Loved every second of it. One of the best games this year for sure.

Ended it yesterday. Didn't kill anything the entire game or gained any experience or whatever. After the ending I was told I could reload my save file to get a "better" ending, so I guess I missed some stuff. Will do that stuff I guess.

Anyway, what an awesome experience. Loved every second of it. One of the best games this year for sure.
Glad to hear you enjoyed it. You're indeed correct that you're not done yet. You can just load your save, and backtrack a bit. The game will instruct you what to do as you leave.

Glad to hear you enjoyed it. You're indeed correct that you're not done yet. You can just load your save, and backtrack a bit. The game will instruct you what to do as you leave.

Great, thanks. I have to befriend some people it seems. Will get right on it when I get back home from work.

Also, the soundtrack for this game is STELLAR. I can't stop listening to the
Asgore
battle theme on youtube.

Darryl

Banned
The gameplay was garbage. I don't even know if I would call it a video game. More like a visual novel with directional movement. It was very funny, cute, and endearing. Probably my favorite game since Portal 2.

DNAbro

Haha, goddamn, someone actually made a whole metal tribute album to undertale.

https://determination-ut.bandcamp.com/releases

This is a mix of Richaad and Ace Waters covers, with lots of unreleased stuff from them as well. It's really really damn good. Really tempted to buy the full thing.

The gameplay was garbage. I don't even know if I would call it a video game. More like a visual novel with directional movement. It was very funny, cute, and endearing. Probably my favorite game since Portal 2.

what a roller coaster of a comment

mbpm1

Never played bullet hells before?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I actually don't think I've seen this much fan output for one game for awhile now, especially in such a short time. Though my experiences might be limited.

It's like the first half and the second half of this comment were by completely different posters.

dock

kzpoLs1.png

I'm having to quit Undertale here, due to a glitch. I'm trapped in a dark invisible path with no exits. The mushrooms helped on the way to Temmie Village, but now I can't leave. I've tried for about 30 mins but I'm pretty certain it's a glitch.

Pretty disappointing. I wonder whether this will ever be patched.

This is the end of my playthrough, though. Kinda crappy.

Saikyo

I can see the game can be really good with characters and plot so people "endure" the mini danmaku battles, Toby could make a "simple mode" for the game.

DNAbro

kzpoLs1.png

I'm having to quit Undertale here, due to a glitch. I'm trapped in a dark invisible path with no exits. The mushrooms helped on the way to Temmie Village, but now I can't leave. I've tried for about 30 mins but I'm pretty certain it's a glitch.

Pretty disappointing. I wonder whether this will ever be patched.

This is the end of my playthrough, though. Kinda crappy.

i'm pretty sure you are just lost. if you go to Temmie village before you activate all the lights they turn off but the path should still be there.

This comment is like the official reviews that Toby put up on the Steam home page.

I'm glad you enjoyed the game.

dock

I didn't light all the mushrooms because I thought the game was making a point about that. I didn't expect it to glitch.

A friend was able to help me find the way out using the right-hand-side approach to the maze. I managed to miss this before due to so many random battles (that I don't much enjoy, due to doubts about health items).

Thanks for the map, InfiniteNine.

Not sure whether I'll keep playing. Please don't trot out the 'have determination' meme.

Top Bottom