• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unending Dawn (绝晓) Open World Unreal Engine 5 PV | Elden Ring, Sekiro and Genshin mashup

nial

Sony has been on a roll lately with bringing interesting Chinese and Korean content over to Playstation.
Yep, China Hero Project, fostering relationships with Mihoyo and several other mobile-centric East Asian devs, and publishing Stellar Blade, Lost Soul Aside and Convallaria.

Funny that, I’d argue that it looks like they are working without an art director. Looks like uninspired tripe, I wouldn’t be surprised if someone said it was a high level generative experiment.

Zathalus

That looks pretty terrible. The art style is all over the place, you can’t just mash dark fantasy and anime as fuck character design together like that.

That looks pretty terrible. The art style is all over the place, you can’t just mash dark fantasy and anime as fuck character design together like that.

pWSVwd2.jpeg

Everything in that game felt like a cohesive whole. The girl in the trailer and the world around her feels like each was designed by a separate team.
Code Vein and The First Berserker also look cohesively dark fantasy anime.

I think your problem lies specifically with this game, and that's probably because it hasn't put forward a specific identity yet like the above two games so it feels like a mixture of everything.

The best we can hope for is that they actually have a narrative vision and didn't just put together a soulslike with good combat and that's all.

I have mixed feelings about Code Vein. I liked the game despite its flaws (ugly and bland level design, annoying hordes, mediocre music, terrible walking story sections, and very few outfits). I would buy a more inspired second part.

At first glance, this one looks like an enhanced version. Being open-world, level design will be a factor in deciding how great the game turns out.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I posted this here before but man they are way too fucking one the nose about where they getting their "inspiration" from.

The solider here literally using same moves as knights in Leyndell from Elden Ring.
gXXW6ow.gif

I posted this here before but man they are way too fucking one the nose about where they getting their "inspiration" from.

This is a bit of a stretch. I mean, FROM didn't invent elemental magic, dragons, or medieval dark fantasies. These are common tropes in the genre. The spear combat moves are different from any Souls, too.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
This is a bit of a stretch. I mean, FROM didn't invent elemental magic, dragons, or medieval dark fantasies. These are common tropes in the genre. The spear combat moves are different from any Souls, too.
Look at the enemy who is using lighting attack is literally same animation as lighting slash in Elden Ring.

lightning_slash_gif_elden_ring_wiki_guide.gif

You dont see it?

KXVXII9X

Look at the enemy who is using lighting attack is literally same animation as lighting slash in Elden Ring.

lightning_slash_gif_elden_ring_wiki_guide.gif

You dont see it?
I have seen this with a lot of recent Chinese made games. They take above inspiration and copy things like entire animations from other games like in Project Mugen.

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
The China Hero Project Twitter account has confirmed it's coming to PC as well (the PS5 release was already confirmed several months back).

"Unending Dawn, a game from Parcae's Fate Studio, is a multiplayer open-world action game set in a world ravaged by a massive catastrophe. This disaster has left wildlife transformed into dangerous creatures with the color curse, while the survivors can only struggle for survival in the shadows on the Day of Unending Dawn. Gamers are set to embark on the Path of Cognition, confronting the dangers and unknowns of ancient legends to seek the truth and, if any, a glimmer of hope. The game is expected to be released on both PS5 and PC in the future."

Top Bottom