• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

United Airlines violently drags a doctor off a plane so employee could take his seat

Why do you fly United?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Malvolio

They do have a plan. It's called Code of Federal Regulations. For a domestic flight arriving more than 2hr later than originally scheduled, when you are involuntarily denied boarding, you are entitled to 400% of your 1-way fare up to $1300 in compensation. This is law.

Further, in most cases, airlines will provide accommodations and class upgrade as well if you're not being a dick.

They already boarded.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think the passenger was confused why he asked to leave. Everyone on the plane had been informed of the situation.

To me there are 2 separate issues here. The first is United's inability to resolve the situation before having to involve the police, and the second is the police forcibly removing the passenger.

By the time the first happened, the second was bound to happen as the dude was bound to get injured if he's resisting being removed from a confined space like an airplane.

ido

-United and most/all airlines feel that overbooking is the best way of maximizing profits for flights in order to ensure they are filled to maximum capacity
-Most of the time this isn't an issue
-Sometimes too many people actually show up and some people are asked to give up their seat and offered replacement flights
-Often times this isn't enough, so airlines offer incentives to help motivate people to give up their flight and feel better about the whole situation
-United capped this incentive at $800 <<< This is where United fucked up
<<Here is where they continued to fuck up>>
-United didn't really have a plan for what happens if people don't volunteer for $800, so they did a lottery system where 4 lucky winners get to be kicked off the flight
-United didn't plan for the situation where someone would resist leaving the flight
-United smashed a guys face and dragged him off a flight by force after he paid for his ticket, sat down, and did nothing wrong (other than refusing $800).

The crux of the problem is the $800. They should have properly planned for when $800 isn't enough (and in 2017, $800 really isn't that much). They should increase it to $1,200 or $1,600 etc, and that should be in their budget. Like I said, if they are benefiting from overbooking, their cost benefit analysis should include the PROPER cost of having to buy someone out of their seat. They can't rely on breaking peoples faces if they don't comply.

I agree with this, except this wasn't technically overbooking was it? This was United needed some of its employees to be somewhere and intervened in this particular flight. It's not that the flight itself was overbooked. I may be wrong, but either way you are spot on with where they fucked up.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
You must work for the airline industry.

Nope I just don't absolve him of any responsibility for his choices.
I can't image any reality where when confronted by three police officers to leave a plane I would resist.
I can't image any reality were I would have any respect for anyone that did.

The only exception is a life or death need to be somewhere like surgery etc. which could be proven easily.
IF United and the Police knew it was a life or death situation they'd be complicit and that's a very different situation.

ntropy

the United standbys should have boarded the next flight.
standbys only board if there are empty seats

sounds like the United employees were a bunch of high-up dicks within the company

800 bucks esp if its only for use on this airline is way too low for me to ever want to rearrange my travel plans. Who can just easily shift their plans before and after travel like that. United sucks, I resent that they have a hub here in Houston. This guy is going to get a great settlement.

marrec

Banned
I can't image any reality where when confronted by three police officers to leave a plane I would resist.

The only exception is a life or death need to be somewhere like surgery etc. which could be proven easily.
IF United and the Police knew it was a life or death situation they'd be complicit and that's a very different situation.

So you can't imagine any reality where you would resist, or respect someone who does........................

until you can imagine that reality.

IMACOMPUTA

First, you understand it was an $800 travel voucher, right? Not cold hard cash. But you would have had to fly on United again, and likely within a specific window of time before the voucher expires (probably a year).

Second, the average Gaffer is not the average airline passenger. Some people have kids, careers (i.e. not flexible jobs), or other commitments. I mean, plenty of Gaffers routinely talk about taking several days or a week off work just because a new video game is released. I assure you, that is not normal in regular society.

Just pointing out that taking time off work for a hobby is absolutely normal.

Two Words

The alternative you're speculating on is the airline targeting minorities based on eyes in the cabin going and finding them? Really? Out of all the shit that's happened here that is really what some of you are trying to throw into the mix?

There are computers all over an aircraft. Not to mention "managers", being anyone in a position of power, probably carrying PDAs/phones or some sort of electronic device. All software on and off the plane will have confirmation of every flight pass and seat number which is occupied.

Direct outrage for reasons based in reality, not speculative identity politics. Sure it makes a great story if you can say the airline are racists, but the random selection has obviously occurred here. The issue for the airline is the way they forcefully ejected this passenger without further compromise, or in the first instance going to a higher tier of "reward" for the whole plane. Which is what I said should have been done earlier in this topic.
I didn't say they racially selected. I'm saying I have doubts that their computer had a random passenger selector.

Looks like we found someone who works for United.

He said he was a doctor who needed to see patients in the morning.

I agree with this, except this wasn't technically overbooking was it? This was United needed some of its employees to be somewhere and intervened in this particular flight. It's not that the flight itself was overbooked. I may be wrong, but either way you are spot on with where they fucked up.

No, you're right. I said it earlier in this thread. The facts we have show that United didn't decide it needed four seats for employees until very late, which is really what started this whole problem in the first place.

Just pointing out that taking time off work for a hobby is absolutely normal.

Sure, but it definitely doesn't go along with the "we've all got places to be and commitments" argument others have used to defend United's actions here. Not everyone's time is equal.

People talking about the $800 should keep in mine these are typically vouchers for the airline and not, like, just cash that they give out. I'm not surprised people don't jump at the chance to take them, especially if they have important appointments or reservations that they are flying to.

That is what I was wondering.

If they just cut you a check, or have a guy with an envelope waiting to hand my $800 to get off the plane and just take the next one? I'd be running off that plane.

But if you want to give me an $800 voucher to ride on your shitty airline again? Not gonna happen.

Just armchair comments of course, since I doubt I'd be flying United in the first place.

This practice creates so many shitty situations.

Last year I arrived for my flight to discover my aisle seat with extra leg room had been given away and that I had been moved to a window seat near the back of the plane. I explained that I purchased the extra leg room because I have serious back problems and need to stretch out, and that at the window seat, in pain, I might experience a claustrophobic panic attack. They told me in no uncertain terms that I could take the new seat or get bumped to another flight. I needed to get home so I took the seat.

I was told my seat had been changed due to a "mechanical issue." Boarding the plane, I noticed my seat was occupied by a United employee.

As the plane began to taxi, sure enough. Had a total panic attack. Just flipped out. They had to stop the plane. Everyone hates me, makes it worse. They asked the guy they gave my seat to to switch with me so they could take off. They ended up going up and down the aisle just begging everyone to switch with me so I could at least sit on the aisle, asked that guy multiple times and he refused. Eventually found someone.

They never even refunded me for the leg room charge....said they would but never did despite multiple inquiries.

Meier

Anyone standing up for United, even if they think they're just playing devil's advocate, is a real piece of work.

ironcreed

Banned

Were he a criminal, suspected terrorist or just did something wrong in general I would be inclined to agree. But he didn't. He was merely a paying customer who did not want to give up his seat due to the airline's own screw up. That does not give them the right to bring in the law and remove him by force. Which is why he will be millionaire in relatively short order.

Matt

They do have a plan. It's called Code of Federal Regulations. For a domestic flight arriving more than 2hr later than originally scheduled, when you are involuntarily denied boarding, you are entitled to 400% of your 1-way fare up to $1300 in compensation. This is law.

Further, in most cases, airlines will provide accommodations and class upgrade as well if you're not being a dick.
That's for involuntary, i.e. what happened here. For all of those people who voluntarily take what the airline offers, there are no DOT rules.

JJH

I just saw the video of him getting back on the plane and all I could think of is

tumblr_inline_nhzgmnM7hx1r5344l.gif

jokes aside I feel horrible for the physician. Hope he'll lawyer up

You realise they let him back on the plane after?

It's not "easy" to prove if something is life or death; especially when the airline have chosen to escalate the situation by shoving a bunch of security guards in the passenger's face. Maybe the doctor did feel it was life or death to see his patients - hence why he refused to leave his seat even in the face of security.

But whatever. Keep blaming the passenger :)

KoopaTheCasual

Tell me more of this alternate timeline, where you know how events unfold.

It's fascinating.

why are people even defending this in here?
Where are you in Eurabia threads where people staunchly defend the rights of Corporations to ban hijabs from workplace? It looks like only me and only couple other Gaffers show up to criticize this defense of corporations.

Meier

That is what I was wondering.

If they just cut you a check, or have a guy with an envelope waiting to hand my $800 to get off the plane and just take the next one? I'd be running off that plane.

But if you want to give me an $800 voucher to ride on your shitty airline again? Not gonna happen.

It's definitely a voucher based on the announcements of basically every flight I've been on lately. And I suspect it's probably a one time thing too. Like, I doubt you can turn that into two or three cheap flights. It's probably "good for up to" $800.

cchum

Were he a criminal, suspected terrorist or just did something wrong in general I would be inclined to agree. But he didn't. He was merely a paying customer who did not want to give up his seat due to the airline's own screw up. That does not give them the right to bring in the law and remove him by force. Which is why he will be multimillionaire in relatively short order.

Fixed

Escargo

Probably because you don't have patients that you urgently need to see in the hospital in the morning..

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
I see United is still complete and utter trash. I had to fly United quite a few times when I was commuting to and from Chicago. Almost every single flight I had with them was either delayed or overbooked. This was around 2004. I don't understand how they are still in business.

emag

Damn for domestic flights, I'd almost reschedule any flight for $800-1600 bucks.

Even if you have a wedding/funeral/examination/patient/child to attend to? And it's probably not even real money, but rather a non-transferable coupon for another United flight that expires in a few months.

Corporations need to suffer a real punitive penalty for ruining people's lives, rather than just taking it as a cost of doing business. A cash payout of 10x the highest ticket price would probably be suitable for overbooking-related forced removals (raising the cap for voluntary rebooking auctions should make forced removals exceedingly rare, anyway).

It's definitely a voucher based on the announcements of basically every flight I've been on lately. And I suspect it's probably a one time thing too. Like, I doubt you can turn that into two or three cheap flights. It's probably "good for up to" $800.

Yes, it's probably a one-time thing. And it's also at United's own fare rates, not discounted rates you can find online from travel sites like Travelocity or Expedia or discounted fares you could find from other airlines, and therefore the United voucher is probably only worth about 70% or so of the value printed on it.

BlitzKeeg

Thank you for the poll.

Anybody still want to defend the multi-million dollar corporation that dragged a paying doctor off their plane?

After all, it was his fault for not immediately accepting the company's bullshit policies. Sometimes you just have to smack someones face on a chair for them to see reason, you know?

Matt

Were he a criminal, suspected terrorist or just did something wrong in general I would be inclined to agree. But he didn't. He was merely a paying customer who did not want to give up his seat due to the airline's own screw up. That does not give them the right to bring in the law and remove him by force. Which is why he will be millionaire in relatively short order.
That's the thing though: irrespective of how they got into this situation (and obviously United handled it very poorly), you are required by federal law to follow the instructions of he flight crew. When they told him to leave the plane and he said no, he was, in fact, breaking the law. So, from a legal perspective, the police had every right to remove him by force if he failed to comply.

Again obviously this situation was created by United and I don't agree with any of their handling of it, but it's just wrong to say that United didn't have the legal right to ask him to leave, or to call the police when he didn't.

Violet_0

Banned
that's a good poll

After our team looked for volunteers, one customer refused to leave the aircraft voluntarily
this confuses me to no end

Melter

wtf? he was a paying passenger who was not only being unreasonably kicked off the plane with no prior notice, but literally being dragged out of the airplane like some sort of criminal.

i'm sure it's easy for you to say some self-dignified bs because you're not the one in his situation.

United Airlines is fucking scum.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
United handled this terribly. It's their fault they overbooked.
United should have kept raising that leave-the-plane bribe until enough people bit.

I hope this man files suit against United. Their actions here were disgusting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom