• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Massa

There's nothing in the show that I can recall to suggest he planned to have Dany poisoned instead of it just being something Robert commanded that he couldn't prevent.

You can even read into the timing of his pardon letter to Jorah as a warning.

Yeah, that's my read of the situation as well (book & show, I don't think it makes any sense to have Varys be ok with Dany being murdered).

Kain

pVUzdJ7.gif

The shot where she actually throws the spear is so, SO bad. What the hell.

methodman

Banned
The shot where she actually throws the spear is so, SO bad. What the hell.

yeah that quick shot ruins it. they should have just framed it from the farther back view, which would have looked much better. the zoomed in look reminds me of xena warrior princess, lol

Paganmoon

yeah that quick shot ruins it. they should have just framed it from the farther back view, which would have looked much better. the zoomed in look reminds me of xena warrior princess, lol

Also problem with editing, as Every Frame a painting put it in one of their videos (I think about Jackie Chan?), to get better weight in a punch or a throw, you need to change the arm position back when cutting to a different angle. As in, the arm has to be in an "incorrect position" further back than it was in right when you cut the shot, otherwise it'll look bad, or in this case, just plain silly.

Edit: Video in question, should start at 5:28 where they talk about this, good video overall btw, worth a look.
https://youtu.be/Z1PCtIaM_GQ?t=328

-griffy-

Banned
Also problem with editing, as Every Frame a painting put it in one of their videos (I think about Jackie Chan?), to get better weight in a punch or a throw, you need to change the arm position back when cutting to a different angle. As in, the arm has to be in an "incorrect position" further back than it was in right when you cut the shot, otherwise it'll look bad, or in this case, just plain silly.

Edit: Video in question, should start at 5:28 where they talk about this, good video overall btw, worth a look.
https://youtu.be/Z1PCtIaM_GQ?t=328

That isn't a hard rule that needs to be followed in every case, especially since they are explaining the importance of continuity and "flow" for an extended fight sequence in that video. It's clear in the Sand Snakes scene they were going for a harder "jump" on the singular action that is the spear throw to increase the shock factor of the action, further emphasized by crossing the 180° line from the shot when she picks up the spear to the shot when she throws it. They were simply adding more impact to the action. What they did is a legitimate technique for this specific instance. I honestly, truly don't see the problem with this moment. I actually thought it was kind of badass when I saw it.

The video you linked would apply far more to the Brienne vs. Hound fight from last season, the beginning when they are still using swords specifically, which becomes a flurry of quick edits that is hard to follow.

bengraven

That Winterfell clip
is making me incredibly worried for Fat Walda and Baby Bolton. Maybe Sansa or Myranda aren't the victims of the "traumatic scene" at all?

I wonder if
Sansa witnesses Ramsay doing something...once that happens Ramsay can go all evil on her like he eventually did on Jeyne.

Anyway, we should probably cut this talk down since it's technically not aired yet.

Iksenpets

Banned

I feel like he was trying to increase the feeling of suddenness, but ended up making something that looked like someone cut frames out of a gif to reduce file size.

Paganmoon

That isn't a hard rule that needs to be followed in every case, especially since they are explaining the importance of continuity and "flow" for an extended fight sequence in that video. It's clear in the Sand Snakes scene they were going for a harder "jump" on the singular action that is the spear throw to increase the shock factor of the action, further emphasized by crossing the 180° line from the shot when she picks up the spear to the shot when she throws it. They were simply adding more impact to the action. What they did is a legitimate technique for this specific instance. I honestly, truly don't see the problem with this moment. I actually thought it was kind of badass when I saw it.

The video you linked would apply far more to the Brienne vs. Hound fight from last season, the beginning when they are still using swords specifically, which becomes a flurry of quick edits that is hard to follow.

It is not a hard rule, and the video is in regard to action scenes, but it still explains why the scene looked so bad.
She goes from holding the spear, to be in a position where she's about to let it go. It's jarring, it takes you right out of the scene, it looks silly as hell.

Not only did they not do as the Every frame a painting video explained, they chose to do the exact opposite, instead of adding frames for more power, they removed them.

Kyougar

I needed 4 days to catch up with this thread and I'm currently sick at home lol ^^

My speculations:

a) Mace Tyreel and Meryn fookin Trant
- maybe Mace is standing in for Arys first kill, the Trader/Banker who "tasted" the coins in the harbor (well, mace is money related)
- either she kills Mace here and kills Meryn later or she switches targets after spying Meryn and kills him instead

b) that awfull scene with Sansa and Ramsay
- what if it is a scene where Sansa has to cut out the unborn Baby from Fat Walda (Ramsay "convinces" her with terror and arguments like
"she is a Frey, do it."
"they stabbed your brothers wife and unborn child several times. Do it!"
"they killed your Mother and brother DO IT!"
- Sansa stabbing maniacally in Fat Waldas Belly several times and Ramsay is laughing
- this would be pretty horrible for all actors involved. A normal rape scene wouldnt be so controversial in GoT and they wont do the Dog things.

c) Varys Plan
- he changed his initial plan and Faegon will not be in the show. Show is show.
- what if he knows (in the show) that Jon Snow is a Targ?
- What if Jon is the Faegon Plan?
- Daeny comes to westeros, burning and pillaging like a maniac and Westeros is rallying behind the only sane Targ: Jon Targaryen
- A song of Ice and Fire

-griffy-

Banned
Not only did they not do as the Every frame a painting video explained, they chose to do the exact opposite, instead of adding frames for more power, they removed them.

Yes, which is exactly what I explained. Instead of adding frames between shots to overlap movement and more easily follow the action from shot to shot, they removed frames of action (and crossed the 180° line) to deliberately disorient and increase the "oomph" of the movement so it's more of a shock. It's meant to be jarring so it makes the audience jump a bit as a heightened act of violence.

Overuse of this technique can be problematic and destructively disorienting in a fight scene, and sometimes a necessary crutch to coverup slow speed by actors who aren't great stunt performers (because you are trying to hide the lack of skill rather than showcase the complexity of movement, like Jackie Chan), as I pointed out for the Brienne vs. Hound scene. I think it works fine in this single moment though.

Paganmoon

Yes, which is exactly what I explained. Instead of adding frames between shots to overlap movement and more easily follow the action from shot to shot, they removed frames of action (and crossed the 180° line) to deliberately disorient and increase the "oomph" of the movement so it's more of a shock. It's meant to be jarring so it makes the audience jump a bit as a heightened act of violence.

And what I'm saying is that it failed, it didn't add any oomph, it lost all of the oomphs. It was comedic at best.
It's not jarring in a "shit I got shocked" type of way, it's jarring in a "holy shit I can't believe how bad that was" type of way.

Edit: Also, @exterminieren spoilertagging your whole post isn't nice. Not sure what you're spoilering without a single hint. Add "next episode spoiler" or whatever it is you've tagged so we know at least the context

-griffy-

Banned
And what I'm saying is that it failed, it didn't add any oomph, it lost all of the oomphs. It was comedic at best.
It's not jarring in a "shit I got shocked" type of way, it's jarring in a "holy shit I can't belive how bad that was" type of way.

Okay. And I obviously disagree. I've made my point in three separate posts with technical explanations and examples, as have you, so I'll just leave it at that.

Speevy

Banned
Mace Tyrell might be the most genuinely decent man in the whole series.

Not a murderous or conniving bone in his body.

Going with Sam and Gilly?

Yup,
could have her taking the place of Mance's kid, and Jon sends her away to make sure Mel doesn't burn her.
Then again,
if Shireen is going with the Mannis and Mel to Winterfell, that's all moot. Who the fuck brings their daughter to a battle, though?

NeoGiff

Back to serious business.

Since we now know the name of episode 9, my prediction - about Dany mounting Drogon, flying up to meet Viserion and Rhaegal, and laying waste to Meereen - just got 0.5% more likely.

Or it's just in reference to Daznak's Pit and Jon Snow doing a jig after learning of his parentage.

Kyougar

Since we now know the name of episode 9, my prediction - about Dany mounting Drogon, flying up to meet Viserion and Rhaegal, and laying waste to Meereen - just got 0.5% more likely.

Or it's just in reference to Daznak's Pit and Jon Snow doing a jig after learning of his parentage.

nah. After getting told he is a Targ, he will officially declare war on Daeny (for TV shock purpose) and starts
the second Dance of Dragons.

I can see her destroying Meeren.

What will happen to Tyrion, Daario and Jorah though

:(

Iksenpets

Banned
Yup,
could have her taking the place of Mance's kid, and Jon sends her away to make sure Mel doesn't burn her.
Then again,
if Shireen is going with the Mannis and Mel to Winterfell, that's all moot. Who the fuck brings their daughter to a battle, though?

Shireen going with Stannis would be baffling, but this is also the show that had Robb travel with his mother on the battlefield while he had his men carry Jaime Lannister around in a cage, so it's not impossible.

I would say she's going with Sam and Gilly, but that would require a whole lot of time at the Wall this episode to get through Aemon's scenes with Sam and Jon, Aemon dying, a funeral sequence, Jon sending Sam away, and them taking Shireen, all while Stannis and crew are preparing to leave.

Also, if Selyse and Shireen go with Stannis, then that means the trailer shot of Selyse in the snow is in Stannis' camp, not Castle Black, which lines up way too neatly with Brienne assassinating Stannis for comfort.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom