• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brakke

Banned
Why does the throwing look so fucking odd?

The spear points left one shot, right the next, and left-center the last. Eyes naturally follow directed objects spears (think arrows ->); it's hard to settle on this shot because you keep getting impulses to look different directions when you expect to be following the smooth parabolic of an object in flight.

It's the same reason GAF looks like garbage; people got avatars facing left all over the place, screwing up consistency. You try to read the page left-to-right, top-to-bottom, every once in a while an avatar catches your eye that draws attention from the posts on the right onto the avatar itself, and to the left off the screen.

It's the same reason GAF looks like garbage; people got avatars facing left all over the place, screwing up consistency. You try to read the page left-to-right, top-to-bottom, every once in a while an avatar catches your eye that draws attention from the posts on the right onto the avatar itself, and to the left off the screen.

This is a bizarre pet peeve you have,

Chuckie

For one thing, it breaks left-to-right/right-to-left consistency twice in a row (that's a major editing faux pas).

And the background details are too different in each shot.

But the timing's slightly off too.

The spear points left one shot, right the next, and left-center the last. Eyes naturally follow directed objects spears (think arrows ->); it's hard to settle on this shot because you keep getting impulses to look different directions when you expect to be following the smooth parabolic of an object in flight.

Thanks guys! Also...wtf? :p
vvv

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
For one thing, it breaks left-to-right/right-to-left consistency twice in a row (that's a major editing faux pas).

Also, the way she throws the spear makes it look like it should stay in the air longer/go farther before landing.

Merino

It almost looks like they are breaking the 180 degree rule even though they (pretty much) are not as far as I can see. They eat the rule of thirds and just kind of splice that transitioning shot in as haphazardly as possible.
In other words it looks like a Zack Snyder film.
It's a violation of the 180 degree rule as far as I can see.

The line of action runs from Obara towards the head in the sand (following her line of sight). In the first shot the camera is on one side of the line (to the left of Obara) and in the second shot the camera has crossed the line slightly (and is now to the right of Obara).

This combined with the shoddy edditing and framing is making it increadibly jarring.

180-degree-rule.jpeg

(seems to me that the "D" shot was made close to "C" but just on the other side of the line)

NeoGiff

As well as the left/right/left and 180 degree thing, her body position is all over the place.

After spinning the spear, there's a sudden ct to her already mid throw. We can see the right side of her body naturally moving forward, following the momentum of the spear.

Then there's another cut and she's standing stock still in the background with her left foot in front of her right. What?! We just saw her throw her full body weight behind the right side of her body.

Just thought of this. Could you do a combination of the two gifs?
So he is walking ahead first and then reverse before he is out of the picture? Would be a more impactfull abandon thread gif ^^

I actually tried to do this last night, but couldn't figure out how. m the to the gif making scene.

Sayad

Why does the throwing look so fucking odd?

She also make a little bounce while throwing the spear, yet instantly, her legs are both on the ground barely moving in the next shot.

Iksenpets

Banned

First they came for the gif avatars, and I said nothing because I did not have a gif avatar. Then they came for the left-facing avatars, and still I said nothing, because my avatar faced right. Then Brakke came for pistol-wielding dolphins, and there was no one left to speak for me.

And yeah, the Obara shot is something that anyone who's sat through a film 101 class should have known wasn't right. I can't believe that got in.

Edit: WAIT I FACE LEFT SHIT HE'S COMING FOR ME RIGHT NOW

Some pretty questionable direction and editing decisions in that Sand Snakes scene.

I mentioned this earlier in the thread, but the Jaime fight scene was atrociously edited as well. 40 cuts in 45 seconds. That may have been because they had to, but the final product is shambles just the same.

So, this Reddit thread is linking to an apparently historically correct site that specializes in upcoming celebrity nudity and sex scenes in shows. Looks like they've figured out, or think they've figured out, what the "traumatic" scene is. Spoil tagging the link to be safe, so if you click the spoiler tags, you're clicking the Reddit URL (and FYI, it links to the Reddit thread which links to this site which is perfectly SFW, but my work network flagged it, just so you're all aware.)

bengraven

s2fHSYc.jpg

So, this Reddit thread is linking to an apparently historically correct site that specializes in upcoming celebrity nudity and sex scenes in shows. Looks like they've figured out, or think they've figured out, what the "traumatic" scene is. Spoil tagging the link to be safe, so if you click the spoiler tags, you're clicking the Reddit URL (and FYI, it links to the Reddit thread which links to this site which is perfectly SFW, but my work network flagged it, just so you're all aware.)

is there a depressed version of the "it's happening" gif...

Seriously. At least there's no nudity? So maybe that makes it less terrible? But all signs kind of point to some version of
"warm her up for me"

Ugh. Fits with the episode title though,
"Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken"
at least in Sansa's case.

-griffy-

Banned
Seriously. At least there's no nudity? So maybe that makes it less terrible? But all signs kind of point to some version of
"warm her up for me"

It actually sounds far tamer than what people were speculating. If that description is accurate,
it sounds like a wedding night sex scene that isn't rape, that doesn't focus on the actual act but a bystander's face watching. It's just extra creepy and disturbing because Ramsay is creepy and disturbing, Sansa is involved, and Reek is forced to watch, and the histories of all parties involved makes it extra uncomfortable. Doesn't read like Sansa is raped and/or tortured, or that Reek has to "warm her up." It's going to be a super uncomfortable scene that is far less overtly graphic or over the top. Also, all the comments being disappointed about the episode rating not including nudity and that potentially cheapening the scene are kind of really fucking disgusting.

It actually sounds far tamer than what people were speculating. If that description is accurate,
it sounds like a wedding night sex scene that isn't rape, that doesn't focus on the actual act but a bystander's face watching. It's just extra creepy and disturbing because Ramsay is creepy and disturbing, Sansa is involved, and Reek is forced to watch, and the histories of all parties involved makes it extra uncomfortable. Doesn't read like Sansa is raped and/or tortured, or that Reek has to "warm her up." It's going to be a super uncomfortable scene that is far less overtly graphic or over the top. Also, all the comments being disappointed about the episode rating not including nudity and that potentially cheapening the scene are kind of really fucking disgusting.

I couldn't agree more about the comments at the Reddit link. Just fucking terrible.

Moff

so what, they force theon to watch? that's it? I very much doubt that's all there is to it, that would hardly be the most disturbing thing the show had yet

Ratrat

How is that not rape? Do you think Sansa wants to bed Ramsay? Do you think the scene is going to be Theon smiling wishing he could join the two? He's going to want to help her.
so what, they force theon to watch? that's it? I very much doubt that's all there is to it, that would hardly be the most disturbing thing the show had yet
We have Ramsays actors word that that is not the sum of it.

It's a violation of the 180 degree rule as far as I can see.

The line of action runs from Obara towards the head in the sand (following her line of sight). In the first shot the camera is on one side of the line (to the left of Obara) and in the second shot the camera has crossed the line slightly (and is now to the right of Obara).

This combined with the shoddy edditing and framing is making it increadibly jarring.

180-degree-rule.jpeg

(seems to me that the "D" shot was made close to "C" but just on the other side of the line)

I thought it was a violation but had an argument about it with my girlfriend and she ended up making me doubt myself, haha. We are both Film&Media majors so it can be tough to converse about things like that when the cut is quick enough and in an otherwise professional production. I mean, at least this isn't Homeland thankfully.

-griffy-

Banned
How is that not rape? Do you think Sansa wants to bed Ramsay? Do you think the scene is going to be Theon smiling wishing he could join the two? He's going to want to help her.

We have Ramsays actors word that that is not the sum of it.

Well, it doesn't say Ramsay forces himself on Sansa and forcibly has sex with her while she's protesting. Theon is commanded to watch, and I assume he won't enjoy watching, and the main discomfort from the scene will come from his reaction as the camera focuses on him. It's possible for it to be a consensual act that is still wildly uncomfortable and gross. I assume, based on Sansa's current arc, that she is going to willingly do it because she is committing long form manipulation. If I am just being ignorant than please let me know, it's not my intention. It sounds like it could a pretty effective scene from a filmmaking standpoint (focusing on Reek's face instead of the act) while still being respectful to the actors/actress. That's of course if this description is even accurate.

I thought it was a violation but had an argument about it with my girlfriend and she ended up making me doubt myself, haha. We are both Film&Media majors so it can be tough to converse about things like that when the cut is quick enough and in an otherwise professional production. I mean, at least this isn't Homeland thankfully.

I pointed out a couple pages ago that yes, they do cross the 180° line for the closeup shot where she throws the spear, and it's most likely intentional to increase the "oomph" of the action. It's a profile shot first where she's fully facing left, spear facing left, then cut to closeup of the throw where she is facing right, spear thrown right, then wide shot spear in midair traveling slightly from right to left into head. It's such a basic thing that it wouldn't be an accident without intent. The full move is big enough that you can follow what is happening between shots, (you understand the character is throwing the spear) but jumping over the line for the one shot is jarring and catches you off guard, which emphasizes the suddenness of the violent action. Movies will cross the line for reasons like this all the time, to emphasize a moment, or to signal a shift in a conversation, etc. It's absolutely not an unheard of technique, as I'm sure you know being a film major.

Now, this is all if the 180° line is from spear thrower to target though, but since it's actually a triangle (Other Sand Snakes to Obara, Obara to target) it's actually a bit more complicated as well. The line between Obara and the other Sand Snakes, whom she is talking to the entire time, actually is never broken. She remains camera right, and them camera left, between all three shots. Which makes the geography still clear while still leaving room for the slight jump in the one shot.

Ratrat

Well, it doesn't say Ramsay forces himself on Sansa and forcibly has sex with her while she's protesting. Theon is commanded to watch, and I assume he won't enjoy watching, and the main discomfort from the scene will come from his reaction as the camera focuses on him. It's possible for it to be a consensual act that is still wildly uncomfortable and gross. I assume, based on Sansa's current arc, that she is going to willingly do it because she is committing long form manipulation. If I am just being ignorant than please let me know, it's not my intention. It sounds like it could a pretty effective scene from a filmmaking standpoint (focusing on Reek's face instead of the act) while still being respectful to the actors/actress. That's of course if this description is even accurate.
Er, she's forced to marry a sadistic asshole who's expected to die soon as part of a revenge plot. If Theon is merely feeling awkward watching them makeout in a normal way then you'd be right, it's not rape and the idea that this scene was so bad the actor didn't want to do it is laughable.

There was never going to be Sansa nudity considering she is supposed to be what, 13-15 on the show? There are rules against nudity for actors playing minors, even if the actor is of age. Similarly Maergery couldn't have a nude scene with Tommen, although I read that initially that bed scene was a lot more racy until the actress voiced concerns. Benioff and Weiss...

-griffy-

Banned
It's okay, because she isn't resisting!

That's not even remotely what I've said. I'm merely commenting on the description that is missing almost all context and speculating on what that could translate to, and have never said it would be anything close to "okay." In fact the words I've used are: discomfort, wildly uncomfortable, gross, extra creepy, disturbing. It's absolutely not an "okay" event no matter how it happens, but this description is certainly a ways off from
"warm her up Reek" or Sansa being tortured, or blatantly raped, or dogs being involved.

They haven't said where though!
Could be under the heart-tree in the Weirwood or in Ned and Cat's bed!

Would certainly make the scene more horrifying beyond just the act.

bengraven

I have a feeling Sansa is going to become another Cersei. But the Jedi version. Seducing her way to freedom.

(SPECULATION includes the released chapter from Winds)
Think about it - she's probably going to lose her v-card. Once that's done and especially if she ends up escaping from him, she's "used" goods in this world. She has had people like Cersei, Littlefinger, Shae, and Marg all telling her basically "you're beautiful, use that". She knows now, revealed it to LF at the end of last season, that seduction can get her what she wants. I can see her using that many times. In the book we see that she's already doing it to Harry the Heir.

In B4 the "Sansa has become a slut" crowd in a few years.

So after all the shit he has done, Ramsay is really gonna have sex with Sansa? Fuck this world.

I feel the same way. And maybe it's because she's this pretty little flower and I don't want the big gross man to violate her, but I can't help but feel disgusted by it.

kirblar

Er, she's forced to marry a sadistic asshole who's expected to die soon as part of a revenge plot. If Theon is merely feeling awkward watching them makeout in a normal way then you'd be right, it's not rape and the idea that this scene was so bad the actor didn't want to do it is laughable.
She's being forced to do nothing- that's what the convo w/ Littlefinger was all about. She's taking a page from Maergary's playbook.

Ratrat

That's not even remotely what I've said. I'm merely commenting on the description that is missing almost all context and speculating on what that could translate to.
Er, she's a minor forced to bed an enemy who is a sadistic asshole psychotic killer while another hated enemy of her family watches . How's that for context?
It's pretty disturbing imo.
She's being forced to do nothing- that's what the convo w/ Littlefinger was all about. She's taking a page from Maergary's playbook.
Margy with all her resources couldn't even control her child of a king.

-griffy-

Banned
Er, she's a minor forced to bed an enemy who is a sadistic asshole psychotic killer while another hated enemy of her family watches . How's that for context?
It's pretty disturbing imo.

Er, where does it say she's forced to bed him? She willingly came to Winterfell to marry Ramsay. She is complicit in all this, even if it is a Littlefinger manipulated scheme. Littlefinger gave her an out, said they could leave if she didn't want to go through with it, but she decided to play along. She may not like it, but she's doing it because she is trying to take her destiny in her own hands and get revenge using what weapons she has at her disposal. And I have never described the scenario as anything but disturbing.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
There was never going to be Sansa nudity considering she is supposed to be what, 13-15 on the show? There are rules against nudity for actors playing minors, even if the actor is of age. Similarly Maergery couldn't have a nude scene with Tommen, although I read that initially that bed scene was a lot more racy until the actress voiced concerns. Benioff and Weiss...
D&D also wanted Alfie Allen's sister to play Yara and do the creepy scene where he fondles her...they are a bunch of pervs

Kain

I still don't understand how Pedro can be so stupid to leave Sansa in WF and him going to KL. What the fucking fuck D&D, this is supposed to be the smartest man in all of Westeros. Fuck.

Iksenpets

Banned

This will be rough, but yeah, I'll actually be kind of surprised by the restraint if they don't do "warm her up". I mean, maybe the sounds we're hearing as Theon watches will be really awful, I don't know.

D&D also wanted Alfie Allen's sister to play Yara and do the creepy scene where he fondles her...they are a bunch of pervs

I'm pretty sure Alfie Allen came out and said that wasn't true, and his sister was just bullshitting in an interview.

Ratrat

Er, where does it say she's forced to bed him? She willingly came to Winterfell to marry Ramsay. She is complicit in all this, even if it is a Littlefinger manipulated scheme. Littlefinger gave her an out, said they could leave if she didn't want to go through with it, but she decided to play along. She may not like it, but she's doing it because she is trying to take her destiny in her own hands and get revenge using what weapons she has at her disposal. And I have never described the scenario as anything but disturbing.
Do you think that once she was there, she had an out? Would she be safe if she displeased Ramsay? Do you also think Robert/Cersei, Cersei/Merrywheather was not rape?

Edit: nevermind, this is getting off topic.

bengraven

Why the eff are there so many black bars in this thread?

Paranoia about speculation and the numerous leaks leading to bans. At least in my case since I've actually been warned and don't want to upset anyone.

This will be rough, but yeah, I'll actually be kind of surprised by the restraint if they don't do "warm her up". I mean, maybe the sounds we're hearing as Theon watches will be really awful, I don't know.

Screams. I'm predicting screams. And some people to get strangely turned on.

I'm pretty sure Alfie Allen came out and said that wasn't true, and his sister was just bullshitting in an interview.

Yeah, he actually said something to the tune of "my sister is full of shit". "Fucking liar". ha

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.

Yeah didn't realise that had happened. lol what a weird thing to lie about.

can't help but feel disgusted by it.
Ramsay is the character I hate the most and Sansa is one of my favorite characters. So Ramsay is the ultimate piece of shit who gets the best "prize" out there. Thank you D&D. It's like GRRM isn't sadistic enough now we have to put more suffering into Sansa's life and more enjoyment for Ramsay.
Lilly Allen? WTF

Iksenpets

Banned
Yeah didn't realise that had happened. lol what a weird thing to lie about.

His dad also claimed that he had turned down a role on the show as a leader of a slave rebellion, which is obviously untrue. I think they like to troll him in interviews or something? Or are just delusional people? I'm not sure.

This scene is going to make so many book readers riot. I'll be interested to see if there is another interview with D&D after the episode where they talk about. Maybe they'll hint that something like this happens in TWoW.

SpaceHorror

So, regarding those episode 7 spoilers...

Looks like Bronn may be the show's Arys Oakheart after all? Tyene Sand is supposed to get naked while talking to an imprisoned Bronn in that episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom