• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shireen going with Stannis would be baffling, but this is also the show that had Robb travel with his mother on the battlefield while he had his men carry Jaime Lannister around in a cage, so it's not impossible.

I would say she's going with Sam and Gilly, but that would require a whole lot of time at the Wall this episode to get through Aemon's scenes with Sam and Jon, Aemon dying, a funeral sequence, Jon sending Sam away, and them taking Shireen, all while Stannis and crew are preparing to leave.

Also, if Selyse and Shireen go with Stannis, then that means the trailer shot of Selyse in the snow is in Stannis' camp, not Castle Black, which lines up way too neatly with Brienne assassinating Stannis for comfort.

edit: nevermind. I read Selyse as Shireen.

Sigh. Please, no. :(

-griffy-

Banned
Shireen going with Stannis would be baffling, but this is also the show that had Robb travel with his mother on the battlefield while he had his men carry Jaime Lannister around in a cage, so it's not impossible.

I would say she's going with Sam and Gilly, but that would require a whole lot of time at the Wall this episode to get through Aemon's scenes with Sam and Jon, Aemon dying, a funeral sequence, Jon sending Sam away, and them taking Shireen, all while Stannis and crew are preparing to leave.

Also, if Selyse and Shireen go with Stannis, then that means the trailer shot of Selyse in the snow is in Stannis' camp, not Castle Black, which lines up way too neatly with Brienne assassinating Stannis for comfort.

If Mel wants to burn
Shireen, then she might convince Stannis to take her with them so they can do it in camp just outside of Winterfell.

Moff

there is no way stannis will let shireen be burned, not after that speech. he will refuse and melisandre will see this as an act against r'hllor and he will die.

Iksenpets

Banned
If Mel wants to burn
Shireen, then she might convince Stannis to take her with them so they can do it in camp just outside of Winterfell.

Stannis has to be self aware enough that he'd be suspicious of Melisandre asking for something so obviously useless as taking Shireen into battle, right? After going to such lengths to establish that he cares about his daughter, they wouldn't have him lead her into that obvious of a trap, right? Right?? :(

NeoGiff

2UmYyCA.gif

I will not breathe further life into a malicious lie by discussing it.

Edit: I've figured it out! In a sick subversion of the Queenmaker plot, Brienne will take the place of Darkstar and try to assassinate Shireen. Rather than lopping off her ear, Oathbreaker will ricochet off her greyscale with a resounding crash, flying through the air and decapitating the Mannis.

-griffy-

Banned
there is no way stannis will let shireen be burned, not after that speech. he will refuse and melisandre will see this as an act against r'hllor and he will die.

Yeah, if that's the case then I'm assuming there's some duplicity on Mel's part. Just saying Shireen will be "needed" but not being specific or something. Of course we could all be interpreting the context of the photo entirely incorrectly.

2UmYyCA.gif

Edit: I've figured it out! In a sick subversion of the Queenmaker plot, Brienne will take the place of Darkstar and try to assassinate Shireen. Rather than lopping off her ear, Oathbreaker will ricochet off her greyscale with a resounding crash, flying through the air and decapitating the Mannis.

Lol those guesses were spoiler tagged and then you revealed theM my man :( now I'm sad.

Iksenpets

Banned
2UmYyCA.gif

THAT SAID,
in the shot of Selyse, she appears to be at the feet of several soldiers who are standing still. I think if we we mid-assassination they would be rushing to intervene. THERE'S HOPE YET

Edit:
Just read your Queenmaker edit. It's the obvious truth. Resume panicking!

2UmYyCA.gif

Jigorath

Banned

giphy.gif

I do not believe it. I will not.

Iksenpets

Banned
Episode pics:
Also, the shot of Brienne looks kind of like she's looking through all the new wood the Boltons are putting up in Winterfell.

Speevy

Banned
I'll bet D&D are sitting there on their computers thinking "Wow, Shireen burned? Jon comes back to life? A northern uprising against the Boltons? Shit, we really should have filmed more."

Speevy

Banned
I wish that spear was set alight and the head was a keg of wildfire so we could be done with the Spanish Soap Opera Snakes once and for all.

bengraven

Back to serious business.

Since we now know the name of episode 9, my prediction - about Dany mounting Drogon, flying up to meet Viserion and Rhaegal, and laying waste to Meereen - just got 0.5% more likely.

Or it's just in reference to Daznak's Pit and Jon Snow doing a jig after learning of his parentage.

I'm happy with two of these three things.

Speevy

Banned
Wouldn't laying waste to Meereen kill Tyrion, who we've confirmed is already there by the time of the fighting pits?

bengraven

Are there any faultless male characters?

I mean, it's pretty equal.

Cersei killed the king and didn't stop Joffrey from murdering Ned and Jaime sewed distrust with the Starks by throwing Bran out a window and nearly killed Ned who refused to listen to Renly when he had enemies everywhere and by trusting Petyr who sewed distrust against the Imp who was captured by Catlyn who started a war with Tywin who killed Robb and her to end a war.

Violater

What do you mean "without fault?"

To me all the characters are flawed in some way and have their annoying moments, for the most part that's how they were written. But it seems Daney for example can never catch a break among most people here on Gaf. Enter the sand snakes and their pointless plot line and people seem to dislike them before they have even had any screen time.

-griffy-

Banned
To me all the characters are flawed in some way and have their annoying moments, for the most part that's how they were written. But it seems Daney for example can never catch a break among most people here on Gaf. Enter the sand snakes and their pointless plot line and people seem to dislike them before they have even had any screen time.

Dany's reception in the show and the books is fairly similar, I'd say, though on the show side it's combined with a lot of people not loving the performance of the actress which is less a criticism against the character I guess. But I'd say Olenna, Margaery, Arya and Brienne are pretty well drawn characters that people like. Less people may outright "like" Melisandre, but her character has been pretty damn consistent. There isn't really anything wrong with Shireen either, or Gilly for that matter even if she's kind of annoying. I liked Osha when she was around. Meera was fairly inoffensive.

I think people are getting overblown with the Sand Snake hate, but I'm clearly in the minority. When there were early rumblings that the characters were so bad based on the first four episodes that people were throwing terms around like "jump the shark," I assumed it was going to be based on more than a single, exposition heavy introduction scene, but that's all it is so far.

Yup,
could have her taking the place of Mance's kid, and Jon sends her away to make sure Mel doesn't burn her.
Then again,
if Shireen is going with the Mannis and Mel to Winterfell, that's all moot. Who the fuck brings their daughter to a battle, though?

That makes no sense
How would Jon have the authority to send Shireen anywhere?

Neifirst

Anyone else catch that 7-minute 'new characters and locations' promo on demand? Olenna makes an appearance this season - can't wait!

pVUzdJ7.gif

Some pretty questionable direction and editing decisions in that Sand Snakes scene.

It almost looks like they are breaking the 180 degree rule even though they (pretty much) are not as far as I can see. They eat the rule of thirds and just kind of splice that transitioning shot in as haphazardly as possible.
In other words it looks like a Zack Snyder film.

Aidan Gillen Dishes on Littlefinger's Ripple Effect

HBO: Five seasons in, are you still surprised by Littlefinger’s decisions? His deal with the Boltons, for instance?

Aidan Gillen: I was surprised by it because it was new. But it excited me. It’s always nice to enter in a new world and interact with new people and characters you may not have interacted with. Especially if you are a character like Littlefinger who has caused ripples which radiate outwards and affect everybody. It's always interesting to just show up in their world and play dumb.

HBO: Littlefinger just said goodbye to Sansa at Winterfell. What confidence do you think he has in her success?

Aidan Gillen: He’s confident enough in her. If you look back to 408 [“The Mountain and the Viper”], Sansa really brought it and showed her newly minted, newly revealed skills. The thing is, Littlefinger is not entirely sure what kind of situation he’s leaving her in and how dangerous that could be. He has a sense that it's not going to be easy, but what's unfolding at the moment with Sansa and the Boltons at Winterfell is probably one of his audacious and risky plays yet.

Paganmoon

I think Obara/Sand snakes are the spiritual replacement of Darkstar for the show.
GRRM thought Darkstar would be another cool/suave guy after Oberyn, and showmakers thought the same of the Sand snakes. And that spear throw is their "I am of the night".

Kyougar

I've reversed facetyrell.gif so that we can exit threads and conversations with style.

mMUP1Pb.gif

Just thought of this. Could you do a combination of the two gifs?
So he is walking ahead first and then reverse before he is out of the picture? Would be a more impactfull abandon thread gif ^^

Why does the throwing look so fucking odd?

For one thing, it breaks left-to-right/right-to-left consistency twice in a row (that's a major editing faux pas).

And the background details are too different in each shot.

But the timing's slightly off too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom