• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeroRay

Well, Cirian did a good job the 30 minutes he had on screen. Good ending, good episode.

Did they recast Lancel, or did he just get swole?

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Have to say I was really fucking bored with that episode. I don't know unlike many or most (?) readers I enjoyed Feast for Crows and A Dance with Dragons. So I should have enjoyed what happened here and yet I was just so fucking bored... What the hell?

Same here. It just felt slow and predictable, while firmly establishing that they don't really care about the source material. Let's see where they go with Planetos-199999, though. All these critics praising about the first four episodes can't be wrong...right?

jett

D-Member
Have to say I was really fucking bored with that episode. I don't know unlike many or most (?) readers I enjoyed Feast for Crows and A Dance with Dragons. So I should have enjoyed what happened here and yet I was just so fucking bored... What the hell?

Seems this show is going to fiercely change the shit out of those books, so maybe that's why? :p

It was an all right episode. As a book reader, I've never been more interested in the show than right now. Finally, I'm pretty unsure on what's going to happen. :p

duckroll

Pretty good start, but it has to be one of the lightest season debuts for this series. Feels like almost nothing substantial happened, and they're taking a more relaxed pace to set stuff up. Maybe they're taking it slower this season because they're really running out of book material and don't want to go too quickly. As it is, the show already feels like it's going to outpace the books by the tail end of this season, considering how most of the new subplots in AFfC and ADwD seems to be getting cut. Guess we're not getting 10 episodes of "Where do whores go" lol.

Love the guy playing Mance. Those were great scenes.

duckroll

I think the switch definitely happened. If they wanted to cut that out from the show, they wouldn't have spent as much time as they did with Jon talking to him and then him getting paraded out and burned. That's a lot of screen time to invest on a guy who's making his exit in the first episode. The only reason to spend that much time on it is to give the audience a strong impression so when they reveal the swap it means something to them.

Madness

I think that could still happen in a later episode. They kept showing Tormund and the other wildings a suspicious number of times.

Maybe they figured no rattleshirt and to switch it with Tormund. That way, Ciaran isn't committed to show as much as Tormund can continue to act etc. Tormund took Mance place.

glaw52

Maybe they figured no rattleshirt and to switch it with Tormund. That way, Ciaran isn't committed to show as much as Tormund can continue to act etc. Tormund took Mance place.

They could do that. It was something about Tormund's face when he was watching Mance burn.

Altazor

I, uh... thought that was decent. Not great, not bad either, just decent. Like they tried to cram too much and the pacing was screwed up a bit.

I don't know if the switch happened or not, but if it is the last we see of Ciarán Hinds/Mance... then, man, that was a waste. Though his conversation with Jon in the dungeon was great, I'd say Hinds' acting pretty much elevated Kit's during the scene.

ultron87

I can't recall. Wasn't the queen information just offered up? If you're right that's a bummer, though.

That would be extremely disappointing if those were her three questions. I really hope they go back to that scene.

Yeah, I just rewatched. She asks the queen part in reaction to hearing she won't marry the prince. So she sorta got technicalitied out by a follow up question, but thems the breaks.

foxtrot3d

Banned
I think the switch definitely happened. If they wanted to cut that out from the show, they wouldn't have spent as much time as they did with Jon talking to him and then him getting paraded out and burned. That's a lot of screen time to invest on a guy who's making his exit in the first episode. The only reason to spend that much time on it is to give the audience a strong impression so when they reveal the swap it means something to them.

Nah dude, Mance is dead. For one, the switch is too complicated and involves magic. But most importunately, Mance actually talked and went to die proudly in the show. In the books if you go back and read the execution it's clear its not Mance. Afterall, the Lord o' Bones is screaming that he's not the King Beyond the Wall but no one is listening.

LordCanti

It wasn't the best season premiere but they seem to have laid the foundation for what's coming well enough.

I'll be annoyed if that's the last we see of Mance, not only because he's an interesting character, but because Ciaran is playing him so well.

At least there'll be some surprises I guess.

I feel like there won't/hasn't been a switch. It would be too complicated for viewers.

That's what I'm assuming as well, unless the switch had been made and the guy they showed over and over (I forget his name. Tormund?) was actually Mance and they had switched.

foxtrot3d

Banned
They showed three questions. "When will we marry?" "Will I be queen?" "Will the king and I have children?"

That would be extremely disappointing if those were her three questions. I really hope they go back to that scene.

hydruxo

I think they switched him with Tormund the more I think about it. Way too many shots of Tormund.

At the same time, it wouldn't surprise me if they just killed him off with no switch all together, which would be a waste.

Altazor

regarding Daaaaaaario: new guy is way too likeable. I don't like that. I hate Daaaaaaaario. I don't want to not-hate him.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Episode was okay. This show is really going off the rails of the books.

Not sure if the switch happened, guess they can do it with Tormund. They probably didn't. If they wanted to follow Mance's storyline to the letter, Ciarán Hinds, as good of an actor as he is, would be a bad choice.

More disappointed Maggy doesn't mention how Cersei dies, but I'm not surprised.

Yeah the shots of Tormund were to emphasize his grief and disbelief at what was happening. I think we're all just thinking about it too much as book readers.

glaw52

I think they switched him with Tormund the more I think about it. Way too many shots of Tormund.

At the same time, it wouldn't surprise me if they just killed him off with no switch all together, which would be a waste.

I think it was Tormund. They seemed to cut to him the most out of all the characters and he seemed to be on the verge of crying before Jon shot Mance. I don't think book Tormund would cry at a moment like that. But maybe I'm just in denial.

Big-E

I think that no switch is going to happen. Was Tormund hurt badly in the show? I can't remember if he was bt he was standing there perfectly fine during the execution.

I think it was Tormund. They seemed to cut to him the most out of all the characters and he seemed to be on the verge of crying before Jon shot Mance. I don't think book Tormund would cry at a moment like that. But maybe I'm just in denial.
Yeah, I think maybe Mance switched with Tormund, I could see that happening.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Yeah the shots of Tormund were to emphasize his grief and disbelief at what was happening. I think we're all just thinking about it too much as book readers.

You're also forgetting one simple point, the audience needs shots of Tormund to remind them who the hell he is. Considering how important he will probably be this season the audience needs to be reminded constantly of his presence.

cj_iwakura

I enjoyed it. Nothing great, but they're revisiting the material with a lot of love. Maggy was great, too.

Heh, for one horrifying moment I thought that was Grey Worm who was killed in the brothel.

LordCanti

I enjoyed it. Nothing great, but they're revisiting the material with a lot of love. Maggy was great, too.

Heh, for one horrifying moment I thought that was Grey Worm who was killed in the brothel.

My first thought was "Oh no they replaced Grey Worm and he got swole"

This is the most hopeful I've been about the show in ages. 100% on board with all changes so far.

Hope that's actually Mance dying and that Tyrion's trip to Mereen is free of any pig riding.

This is the most hopeful I've been about the show in ages. 100% on board with all changes so far.

Hope that's actually Mance dying and that Tyrion's trip to Mereen is free of any pig riding.

Agreed, especially with Tyrion. Most of what he went through in the books felt like needlessly cruel page padding.

ultron87

I didn't like their use of Maggy here. The prophecy she gave had nothing narratively or thematically to do with the events of the episode. It didn't really speak to Cersei's motivations in the episode either. It felt like it was in there just to be a weird off kilter thing to start the episode with.

If they'd done it when Margaery first showed up or when Joffrey died it would've at least made some sense. In this episode she didn't even interact with any of her kids or with Margaery, the presumed subjects of the prophecy. They'll obviously get to that with whatever she does regarding Myrcella, but why not have it in the episode where that fact even comes up?

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't like their use of Maggy here. The prophecy she gave had nothing narratively or thematically to do with the events of the episode. It didn't really speak to Cersei's motivations in the episode either. It felt like it was in there just to be a weird off kilter thing to start the episode with.

If they'd done it when Margaery first showed up or when Joffrey died it would've at least made some sense. In this episode she didn't even interact with any of her kids or with Margaery, the presumed subjects of the prophecy. They'll obviously get to that with whatever she does regarding Myrcella, but why not have it in the episode where that fact even comes up?

I think it might have made more sense if they showed the whole prophecy.

Sorry for the long quote, but I disagree. I thought it was a great time to bring it up because the show watchers are now attached to these other characters and can find some truth in what she says. They can also now make some predictions based on what Marg might be up to when she says "perhaps" regarding Cerci's future. I thought the episode was weak, the only thing I thought was actually decent was the witch scene.

I think it might have made more sense if they showed the whole prophecy.
Yeah this is what did bother me though With the scene

bengraven

Loved the shit stains on the crate holes.

They can still do the switch - his facial reactions halfway through the burning could be an indication of "I just woke up and holy fuck I'm on fire...

...but I would guess it's a deleted concept and a fitting end that Jon himself did it.

I think the opposite. Like Feast before it and it's introduction of Cersei's viewpoints, we're getting an unleashed Cersei this season. No Tywin or Joffrey or Tyrion or even Jaime (since he's neutered in her opinion and going to Dorne anyway) to boss her around. This is where she makes her big mistakes, but she's going to act like a G before she does.

The prophecy, like the scene in the books where she's smiling drunkenly up at a burning Tower of the Hand, is a way of foreshadowing her eventually demise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom