• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't like their use of Maggy here. The prophecy she gave had nothing narratively or thematically to do with the events of the episode. It didn't really speak to Cersei's motivations in the episode either. It felt like it was in there just to be a weird off kilter thing to start the episode with.

If they'd done it when Margaery first showed up or when Joffrey died it would've at least made some sense. In this episode she didn't even interact with any of her kids or with Margaery, the presumed subjects of the prophecy. They'll obviously get to that with whatever she does regarding Myrcella, but why not have it in the episode where that fact even comes up?
Maybe it'll be a recurring flashback, and we'll see more of Cersei's actions.

bengraven

Maybe it'll be a recurring flashback, and we'll see more of Cersei's actions.

I think it's perfect.

I'll repost what I said in the last page since it will probably get lost:

Like Feast before it and it's introduction of Cersei's viewpoints, we're getting an unleashed Cersei this season. No Tywin or Joffrey or Tyrion or even Jaime (since he's neutered in her opinion and going to Dorne anyway) to boss her around. This is where she makes her big mistakes, but she's going to act like a G before she does.

The prophecy, like the scene in the books where she's smiling drunkenly up at a burning Tower of the Hand, is a way of foreshadowing her eventually demise.

I didn't like their use of Maggy here. The prophecy she gave had nothing narratively or thematically to do with the events of the episode. It didn't really speak to Cersei's motivations in the episode either. It felt like it was in there just to be a weird off kilter thing to start the episode with.

If they'd done it when Margaery first showed up or when Joffrey died it would've at least made some sense. In this episode she didn't even interact with any of her kids or with Margaery, the presumed subjects of the prophecy. They'll obviously get to that with whatever she does regarding Myrcella, but why not have it in the episode where that fact even comes up?

I disagree, clearly it's setting up Cersei's resentment and suspicion of Margaery being the "younger and more beautiful queen".

I liked the episode, lots of table setting which was expected. I'm of the opinion that they're not pulling the switch on Mance, shame they didn't use Hinds much in the show.

Apt101

I disagree, clearly it's setting up Cersei's resentment and suspicion of Margaery being the "younger and more beautiful queen".

It also explains her disdain for men she conquers. None of them matter to her. What was writ is in stone to her, they're just there to please her as she cascades towards her doom.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I helped you last season and I'll try again this one. The big problem is that the major show deviations may inform us on possible TWoW spoilers but we won't know for sure. I really think it's time for you to stop caring or drop the show right now.

Thanks for your concern, you big ol' fuzz ball <3

By the start of next season the book will have been out for months though...

:)

jett

D-Member
I think the switch definitely happened. If they wanted to cut that out from the show, they wouldn't have spent as much time as they did with Jon talking to him and then him getting paraded out and burned. That's a lot of screen time to invest on a guy who's making his exit in the first episode. The only reason to spend that much time on it is to give the audience a strong impression so when they reveal the swap it means something to them.

He's dead.

ultron87

The prophecy, like the scene in the books where she's smiling drunkenly up at a burning Tower of the Hand, is a way of foreshadowing her eventually demise.

So yeah, that's all fine. I personally don't think they really need the prophecy at all since we've been following Cersei far closer in the show than in the book, but it can serve a narrative purpose of providing some additional motivation. We will see on that front. I was really just criticizing the use of the flashback in this specific episode. It felt sloppy from a single episode narrative stand point to have it here, in an episode where she doesn't interact with Margaery or at all look out for the safety of her children. It doesn't match up at all with any of her scenes in this episode. It's fine to set stuff up for a season long arc, but having individual character stories in an episode be jumbled like this isn't great.

Jigorath

Banned
I don't think they switched. Seems like a satisfying death for Mance and a nice moment for Jon. Glad to see someone in this show other than Davos and Melisandra finally admit that Stannis will make a great ruler. Some pointless scenes in this episode though. Margaery and Loras talking about his marriage to Cersei isn't needed. We already know it's not happening. And I could have sworn Brienne had that exact same conversation with Podrick last season. You know, the one about not being a leader or whatever. Ok premiere I guess.

Crazy thought.

What if the final battle for Iron Throne is not between kings but 4 queens.

Sansa from the North, unites the Northern clans + Vale.
Margarey with Tyrell backing. They have the army and the money.
Daenarys with her army and lineage.
Myrcella with backing of Dorne army.

Lannister support fractures between Tyrells and Dorne/Myrcella, largely a non factor. They have no gold left and Tywin is dead.

All Men Must Die.

Yea mance will be back I feel. They didn't show rattle at all during the episode did they? Viewers are familiar enough with him and its not going to be too confusing for them.

Madness

Crazy thought.

What if the final battle for Iron Throne is not between kings but 4 queens.

Sansa from the North, unites the Northern clans + Vale.
Margarey with Tyrell backing. They have the army and the money.
Daenarys with her army and lineage.
Myrcella with backing of Dorne army.

Lannister support fractures between Tyrells and Dorne/Myrcella, largely a non factor. They have no gold left and Tywin is dead.

All Men Must Die.

Have a feeling Rickon with his fury will be the last Stark who will rule Winterfell at the end.

Tormund had taken a couple arrows to his body in that episode last season. Maybe he sacrificed himself for Mance. You've got to wonder whether the story moves forward with Mance more or Tormund. But it seems like we still haven't heard anything about Val, Dalla or Mance newborn. Maybe they cut it all out to simplify it.

Put me in the boat that thinks they will use Tormund for the switch. He looked way too healthy compared to the last time we saw him, and the camera lingered on him a bit too much.

The show Tormund also hates Jon, whereas novel Tormund was much more jovial and friendly. It will make more sense to show Tormund warming up to Jon and calmly leading the wildlings if it's secretly Mance in disguise.

Daario's screentime actually made me revisit the D = E theory. He's written much more intelligent here, and actually comes off as almost sage in his advice.

As for Brienne, where does she go from here? Isn't LSH a requirement for her story advancement? After all, no one else knows about the vow she swore re: Arya & Sansa.

Glad the show finally broke the "no flashback" rule. I think at some point we're going to need some Rhaegar and Lyanna scenes, or no one is going to care about the Rebellion stuff or prophecies.

Patriots7

Pretty disappointing premiere.
I just can't get hyped for this season :(

To whoever in this thread highlighted that The valonquar wasn't necessarily Tyrion, thanks! Sad but I never realized Cersei was the oldest.

Jigorath

Banned
I got really excited when I saw Charles Dance in the credits. I though we were going to get a flashback or something. Then they started the premiere with a flashback but no Tywin. Oh well. Time to go watch Mad Men.

I love sassy Varys.
I'm also glad they're keeping Kevan.

I honestly expected them to do a bigger uproar over Tywin's death. I mean, he was the most powerful man in the world.

It seems like they could have taken a step back and just done an episode with that as the main focus.

Very strange.

Pretty sure the repercussions of that are going to be felt in episodes going forward.

Speevy

Banned
I honestly expected them to do a bigger uproar over Tywin's death. I mean, he was the most powerful man in the world.

It seems like they could have taken a step back and just done an episode with that as the main focus.

Very strange.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Not that I can think of.

Depends. As I said a page back or so, it's useless comparing the show and the books at this point. It's clear the show is going full rogue and doing whatever they want. Welcome to Planetos-19999.

Hmmm

Maybe the Sansa stuff. But it really didn't delve into her story yet.

So just Sansa stuff then?

I doesn't matter anymore, the show is doing its own thing now. Whatever "spoilers" it has, it in no way means the same thing will happen in the books.

I'm not so sure about that. It'll still spoil, like, deaths and major developments, even if they arrive at them via a different route.

Yeah, Sansa's scenes are pretty much the only thing that's new, but it's not very spoilery for the books, since nothing of significance has happened (yet).

Sansa's arc seems like a full on departure/rewrite rather than an indicator of what will happen to her in TWOW.

This, as well. I believe that the result of Sansa's arc might be the same as her arc in the book will be, but the way to there is likely going to be entirely different.

jett

D-Member
Hmmm

I'm not so sure about that. It'll still spoil, like, deaths and major developments, even if they arrive at them via a different route.

Eh. We've already had characters die in the show that don't die in the books, like Robb's wife. What happens in the show means little.

No Mance swap would be a huge disappointment. They pretty much wasted Hinds in this show. What did he get like 20 minutes of screen time total?

foxtrot3d

Banned

I really don't think so. Of course it all depends. If D&D know the end then really they only have to follow the most critical of plot points, so if say Jon Snow ends up being the prophesied warrior who defeats the Others. Well, it doesn't matter if Jaimie ends up dead in Dorne, dead by LSH, dead fighting the Others, or alive and well in the end if he's a minor player. All that matters is that Jon Snow defeats the Others. But, who knows.

glaw52

Why would Mel be so willing to give up "king's" blood? It seems like a waste to burn him when we know what kings blood can actually do. But that is if he can even be considered a real king.

Crashdown

Neo Member
That ending just reminds me that there are a ton of actors who were in Rome who would be PERFECT in Game of Thrones. James Purefoy, why have you forsaken us?

ryseing

Yeah, Sansa's scenes are pretty much the only thing that's new, but it's not very spoilery for the books, since nothing of significance has happened (yet).

This, as well. I believe that the result of Sansa's arc might be the same as her arc in the book will be, but the way to there is likely going to be entirely different.

Damn straight.

I don't think the Harry plotline ends up going anywhere, but the North still rises for Sansa.

RaidenZR

For people who have seen the extra episodes, can you tell me which characters have progressed past the books (like new stuff, not just new characters doing the same stuff) if that's possible? Just names are enough.

Like Sansa's already new.

You're asking for the ban hammer.

A brief word on how we&#8217;re going to handle the Game of Thrones leak going forward:

There&#8217;s a passage on piracy in the Terms of Service that is written with respect to Gaming Side, and this more or less gets carried over to the OT for television, music, and other media. If you want to discuss the business implications of the leak for HBO, what this means for them going forward, and the mechanics of how they might have been stolen from the network, this is fine.

Linking to pirate download sites, directions on how to get torrent software and the like to work, reviews and impressions of pirated content, talking about how you're currently watching/plan to watch illegally obtained episodes, and anything else like that is strictly prohibited. Obviously, posting spoilers from the leak is going to cop you a lengthy ban, as well. This applies for any television show that we talk about in the OT.

All discussion of this subject is being redirected to this thread. You should not bring up the leaks in either of the two main Game of Thrones threads. The primary reason for this is avoid derailing threads that are intended for discussion of the television show as it airs on HBO as scheduled. We're going to keep those threads on track as best we can.

Hope that makes sense. Please contact moderation if you have specific questions.

EDIT: The OP has been updated to reflect this, as well.

Also, I really can't believe how man people are still responding to the show as the almighty truth lens as to where the books will end up. If it isn't obvious by now things have diverged considerably, and it will be impossible to know what's 1:1 until books are published. What happens in the show now isn't indicative of what will be written.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom