• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Why would Mel be so willing to give up "king's" blood? It seems like a waste to burn him when we know what kings blood can actually do. But that is if he can even be considered a real king.
Because she has Jon right there.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Also, I really can't believe how man people are still responding to the show as the almighty truth lens as to where the books will end up. If it isn't obvious by now things have diverged considerably, and it will be impossible to know what's 1:1 until books are published. What happens in the show now isn't indicative of what will be written.

We're just desperate for TWOW and grasping at any possible hint of what might be in that book.

Blastoise

Banned
The Mance twist is going to put people off.

My mates already hate the Melisandre magic pregnant smoke stuff, so I want to see how they react to the reveal?

I'm guessing something like this:

FvOQI6t.gif

Patriots7

Damn straight.

I don't think the Harry plotline ends up going anywhere, but the North still rises for Sansa.
If the Bolton's fall at the hand of Stannis and Manderly brings back Rickon as Lord of Winterfell, we're at the same place, just without Ramsay having to abuse Sansa.

Eh. We've already had characters die in the show that don't die in the books, like Robb's wife. What happens in the show means little.
It kind of dispelled the rumor that she was pregnant with Robb's kid.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Thanks bros! I decided to watch the episode.

Sansa's arc seems like a full on departure/rewrite rather than an indicator of what will happen to her in TWOW.

That's what I figured.

Yeah, Sansa's scenes are pretty much the only thing that's new, but it's not very spoilery for the books, since nothing of significance has happened (yet).

Nice.

Eh. We've already had characters die in the show that don't die in the books, like Robb's wife. What happens in the show means little.

True, but I think that when it comes to major character deaths (Arya, Tyrion, Dany, etc.) and the ultimate end game, D&D will still follow what GRRM told them.

I really don't think so. Of course it all depends. If D&D know the end then really they only have to follow the most critical of plot points, so if say Jon Snow ends up being the prophesied warrior who defeats the Others. Well, it doesn't matter if Jaimie ends up dead in Dorne, dead by LSH, dead fighting the Others, or alive and well in the end if he's a minor player. All that matters is that Jon Snow defeats the Others. But, who knows.

But I don't want to know if Jaime dies :(

Iksenpets

Banned
Man, I think it's probably a good idea to drop the glamor and let Mance die for real, but it makes their failure to develop him in season 3 that much worse. They tried their best to salvage it with his lengthy scene here, but it could've been so much more, even without his future Winterfell plot. I wish they had at least managed to work in his story of why he left the Watch.

Overall, slow but solid episode. Set everything up nicely. Also HBO Go actually worked, which was great.

foxtrot3d

Banned
But I don't want to know if Jaime dies :(

Well, that's what I mean. If he's a minor character in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter if he lives or dies. So he can die in the show but be alive and happy by the end in the books. Thus, his fate in the show isn't really tied to the books.

EDIT:

By the way, what's the rule with the UNSULLIED thread and clarifying or helping them remember minor events in the show that they may have forgotten? For instance, some are confused about the Varys Targaryen plot and you obviously want to point back to S1 The Wolf and the Lion when he speaks with Ilyrio. It's totally and completely show stuff but possibly obscure that people don't remember it. Or should one simply let them figure it out on their own and stay the fuck out?

Speevy

Banned
Cersei's downfall will be truly glorious. I can't wait for Loras to cast her down and take all that she holds dear.

It seems like the writers just want Loras to have sex with guys. I don't think he'll do any casting down. I kind of switched my position on their handling of his character. The people who said he's one big gay joke were right.

Yeah, Sansa's scenes are pretty much the only thing that's new, but it's not very spoilery for the books, since nothing of significance has happened (yet).

This, as well. I believe that the result of Sansa's arc might be the same as her arc in the book will be, but the way to there is likely going to be entirely different.

It's been several years since I've finished the books (way overdue for a re-read) so I don't recall a decent enough chunk of them but it appears to me that the show runners may be getting Sansa to where she'll eventually land in the books only accelerating it. Any thoughts?

Patriots7

Well, that's what I mean. If he's a minor character in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter if he lives or dies. So he can die in the show but be alive and happy by the end in the books. Thus, his fate in the show isn't really tied to the books.

EDIT:

By the way, what's the rule with the UNSULLIED thread and clarifying or helping them remember minor events in the show that they may have forgotten? For instance, some are confused about the Varys Targaryen plot and you obviously want to point back to S1 The Wolf and the Lion when he speaks with Ilyrio. It's totally and completely show stuff but possibly obscure that people don't remember it. Or should one simply let them figure it out on their own and stay the fuck out?
It's really hard lurking and not responding.

The "Has Stannis done anything bad" post really got me.

Cersei's downfall will be truly glorious. I can't wait for Loras to cast her down and take all that she holds dear.
One of the problems I've had with the show is making her seem MORE sympathetic. I know they've changed the motivations for a number of characters in the show but I feel like her fall is going to be so epic that it may be hard to swallow for some while in the books she is utterly contemptible and a complete lunatic and couldn't be more deserving of a total annihilation.

I'm not sure why book readers from here are so intent on continuing to participate over there, but you all need to stop posting in that thread. Thank you.

Man, I think it's probably a good idea to drop the glamor and let Mance die for real, but it makes their failure to develop him in season 3 that much worse. They tried their best to salvage it with his lengthy scene here, but it could've been so much more, even without his future Winterfell plot. I wish they had at least managed to work in his story of why he left the Watch.

Overall, slow but solid episode. Set everything up nicely. Also HBO Go actually worked, which was great.

Yeah I think it's probably the right decision for the show at this point to not try the Mance switch, just a shame they didn't do more with him when the time was right do to so.

Speevy

Banned
Do you have to be a virgin for Melisandre's set you on fire magic to work?

I swear I'll throw my TV out the window if she kills Shireen. I'll arrive at Carice Van Houten's home and give her such a mean stare.

Iksenpets

Banned

I swear I'll throw my TV out the window if she kills Shireen. I'll arrive at Carice Van Houten's home and give her such a mean stare.

Nah, I think she just views a non-virgin is easier to seduce. He'll be more able to pull off whatever complicated sexual maneuvers are needed for the shadow-baby ritual.

kirblar

I can't believe people think Mance isn't dea. The show doesn't have time for bullshit like that.
It's like with Tyrion's two wives- you can just swap the storyline so that the first wife was the actual gold-digger while the second was really in love with him. Here you just give Tormund whatever material you would have needed Mance for.

I wasn't expecting much to happen, so it was a good start of the season episode. I've been worried that this season was going to be kind of a dead zone until the end. Feels like anything that isn't Cercei, Tryion or Dany is going to just meander around for 4-5 episodes.

Tyrion throwing up looked real, but not 'spitting a mouthful of water' real. Just looks like he threw up.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!

She can't die because she'll be Jon's second wife after Dany. Jon + Dany (aunt) + Shireen (3rd cousin) = 3 heads of the dragon.

Jackson50

One of the problems I've had with the show is making her seem MORE sympathetic. I know they've changed the motivations for a number of characters in the show but I feel like her fall is going to be so epic that it may be hard to swallow for some while in the books she is utterly contemptible and a complete lunatic and couldn't be more deserving of a total annihilation.
I think this season will serve a heaping portion of Cersei's wickedness. She finally has the power she craves, and her worst proclivities will be on full display. There will be nothing redeemable about her this season.
They should have had Jon pull back the arrow, and Ollie shoots him before Jon can let go.

Then everyone is like "OH OLLY!"

*cue 80s sitcom music*
Flying away on a wing and a prayer.
Who could it be?
Believe it or not it's Olly.

I like how Cersei's entry to the Sept being observed by a ton of people as queen this episode is definitely foreshadowing her leaving it naked and shaven and leered at by the masses later in the season.

Well... The Mance thing kind of has me bummed out toward the show. I hate to be that way, but seeing clear proof that the show is going off the rails once and for all kind of deflates my enthusiasm.

Oh, and was Illyrio's actor really too expensive to call in for a scene? Varys was like hey, lemme tell you whose house this is. Okay let's go!

Partition

Banned
I'm not sure why book readers from here are so intent on continuing to participate over there, but you all need to stop posting in that thread. Thank you.

what if you're like me who hasn't read past page 200 of the first book yet knows everything that happens and all the minor details of the books anyway o_O I guess I aint a book reader am I! let me post in there and help him

in all seriousness it's really silly not allowing 'book readers' to post there. as long as future BOOK spoilers aren't posted.. I don't see the issue??

foxtrot3d

Banned
what if you're like me who hasn't read past page 200 of the first book yet knows everything that happens and all the minor details of the books anyway o_O I guess I aint a book reader am I! let me post in there and help him

in all seriousness it's really silly not allowing 'book readers' to post there. as long as future BOOK spoilers aren't posted.. I don't see the issue??

Why would you spoil yourself on things you haven't read?

Madness

I still can't believe I hated Sansa because of season 1, now she's one of my faves. I hope she plays Baelish like a chump. We know when he's blinded by love/lust he loses his intelligence, just like he challenged Brandon to a duel to the death. She has to know Baelish is the reason her dad was betrayed.

Partition

Banned
Why would you spoil yourself on things you haven't read?

it started when i clicked this thread on accident sometime during season 4 off season and was spoiled tywin & joffreys death on the first page... so from there I just said fuck it and slowly started reading the ASOIAF wiki and learning about all the tinfoil theories etc... cuz I just loved the universe and wanted to learn everything about it without spending months reading the books.

anyway i'm more than halfway through book 1 but I find it not so compelling to read considering it's pretty much line for line the same with s1.

foxtrot3d

Banned
it started when i clicked this thread on accident sometime during season 4 off season and was spoiled tywin & joffreys death on the first page... so from there I just said fuck it and slowly started reading the ASOIAF wiki and learning about all the tinfoil theories etc... cuz I just loved the universe and wanted to learn everything about it without spending months reading the books.

anyway i'm more than halfway through book 1 but I find it not so compelling to read considering it's pretty much line for line the same with s1.

Well you have to read all of the books, even book 1. Things may play out the same but the details are still different even as early as Book 1.

Jigorath

Banned
We're just desperate for TWOW and grasping at any possible hint of what might be in that book.

You're just going to end up more confused than you were before because you have no idea how closely D&D are going to follow Martin's vision. He's already planning on do something with Winds that can never be replicated in the show. I don't see the point in worrying about it. There's two different versions of the story. One is just getting here earlier than the other. Unless this version kills off Stannis there is no cause for panic.

Nope, unless I missed the scenes in S1 where Ned is repeatedly haunted by his sister pleading with him to promise her something, I'm pretty sure some pretty big things got left out of the show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom