• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speevy

Banned
Arya needs to offer Mace Tyrell some of the face changer poison water so she can stow aboard their ship, murder Trant in his sleep, and begin the reign of Face Tyrell.

Then he gets back.

"Where is everyone?"

I spent a lot of time today watching the fan theory videos by Alt Shift X on Youtube. Some I heard before, others were completely new to me. Interesting stuff nonetheless.

I'm still not on board with the Daario/Euron theory, but there are some astonishing similarities.

Didn't care much for the Ironborn in the books. But reading through this thread I keep thinking, that it is about time to read the books again. So much stuff I don't remember or have only vague recollections of.

Fucking stupid article

I don't like show Ramsay because I don't think they're doing the chracter any justice, but he's still the best thing going on this show now that Sandor isn't around. And Winterfell is still better than most of what is going on in the show. Unless you're THAT into Mereen, Dorne, and the adventures of Gilly and Sam. Which I have to question your sanity if you are because Dany hasn't been watchable since the dragons were born.
Nah man, nah. It's all bad.

Sand Snakes still awful--showing breasts won't help that, even if they are/were the most perfect in the known universe (like omg). In fact, that entire scene was just a shitty way of showing that Bronn has a silky smooth voice and that the Sand Snakes use poison. She just straight up gave him the antidote. HERE'S A CONFLICT--DON'T WORRY, HERE'S THE SOLUTION.

Unless they're somehow going to use her ego as a weakness in these last few episodes lololol.

I thought the gladiator fight was actually pretty shoddily choreographed, yet again, even though it was a great moment for Jorah. It just looked like he was pushing and pulling people around, except for a few of the more brutal ones.

I actually really liked Sam "standing up" for himself, even if he would have gotten killed without Ghost. Ghost sightings are always fun, too. Sex scene was, well, okay, that establishes that they had sex.

Cersei's comuppance was fun, though, and man, it was wonderful to see two masters like Pryce and Rigg spar with each other.

I enjoyed the Sansa and Theon scenes...initially. Then it just devolved into more suffering, which is so fucking boring now.

Hoping these last few episodes will wash out the general "bleh" taste of this season.

Speevy

Banned
I was just thinking that if I were doing a television show and someone told me my hot female characters were terrible, the first thing I'd do is have them strip naked.

I'm going to imagine that this show is filmed week-to-week and this is exactly what happened.

Iksenpets

Banned
So that fierce warrior in the casting could totally be Khal Jhaqo.

Yeah, a mixed race warrior could be anyone, but asking for a good physique would imply he's going to be shirtless a lot, which would match a Dothraki.

GRRM is going to be so mad when he gets lines that were meant for poor, dead Mago.

jett

D-Member
The show's ratings continue its downward trajectory:

http://winteriscoming.net/2015/05/27/game-of-thrones-ratings-tumble-with-the-gift/

Game of Thrones hit another season low this past Sunday, as “The Gift” was watched live by around 5.40 million people, netting it a 2.5 rating among adults 18-49. By themselves, those numbers are impressive, but lose their luster when put in context. Nearly a million fewer people watched the episode than watched “Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken,” and while “The Gift” pulled in better ratings than all but one episode from the first three seasons of the show (Season 3’s “The Climb” edged it out), it was beat out by every episode from Season 4. This was also the first time this season that Game of Thrones wasn’t the most-watched cable show of the night—it was beat out by the NBA Playoffs on TNT.

Some people getting fed up with it, it seems. It's kind of amazing it has lost 2.6 million viewers since the season opener.

Speevy

Banned
If you created a line graph, the popularity of the source material would mostly correlate with its adaptation.

They've tried to mitigate this by changing the material, but it hasn't worked, and so it isn't as popular.

Taking away Joffrey and Tywin while relegating Tyrion to a relatively minor role was huge.

Plus there are no big guest stars this year like Oberyn.

And it's Memorial Day weekend.

But of course season 5 is terrible, that must be it. It's because Sansa got raped!

Tabris

First time a photo of one of the cast genuinely surprised me from the perspective of "holy shit, she's grown up."

Maisie Williams Interview

maisie-williams_612x380.jpg

Before I comment... 18 yet?

Yeah even if they had adapted books 4 and 5 in the best way possible it would still lose the viewership. Losing so many fan favorites along with how slow the show gets doesn't help. Slow doesn't always mean bad but a lot of show watchers just want constant excitement.

Ogimachi

gotratingsy5byr.jpg

Says everything you need to know, really. People have come up with excuses since E02. First the leaks, then mother's day, then hbo go, then piracy again.

Memorial day weekend makes ratings drop, that's fact, but the effect is usually the same across the board, yet it was the first time in a long while where GOT wasn't the most-viewed show of the night.

It was a 13% drop from episode 6, but 32% since the premiere and ~21% compared to episodes 2 and 4.
Not to mention episode 6 was the first time an episode had lower ratings than all episodes in the previous season. Now it's the first time an episode had lower ratings since two seasons before it.

Most fan sites, forums and social media ratings (the nielsen ones) have seen less activity as well. It's weird to me how people can still argue that interest in the show has not decreased.

In the end I believe people will blame AFFC/ADWD for not being interesting enough (even though they're only adapting ~40-50% of chapters in each book, which is easy to verify), and if the same thing happens next season they'll blame GRRM for not having a book they can adapt.

D&D simply can't lose, and if you criticize their decisions/work you're suddenly just as bad as Linda.

hoos30

CF88NIRUUAAEtzr.jpg

I'm curious to see what is in episode 10 this year. The walk, Mercy, and Daznak's Pit seem to be happening in episode 9. I guess episode 10 will focus on the northern and Wall storylines. Anyone think Jon will be stabbed in episode 9, and then revived in episode 10? Or will they do the whole death and revival thing in one episode?
Even in this meme, The Show version is superior.

I always thought it amusing that, if I'm remembering correctly, GRRM wrote the series specifically to not be adaptable to television, correct? Well he actually mostly succeeded with AFFC/ADWD lol.

The worst part is the most notably awful part of the story (Dorne) is a D&D original, along with the Sansa rape which probably turned a decent number of people off. I still believe a good amount of crazy shit should be happening in the next 3 episodes, so maybe that will rekindle interest.

Though that brings me to the casting news
are unsullied going to give a shit about Sam's family or Euron? Characters that are suddenly important but have barely been mentioned (especially Euron)? Same with the (presumable) Dothraki casting? I can see them now, all excited to see Daenarys flying off on Drogon only for their smiles turn to horror as they realize that she's still stuck in Essos for part of S6 getting the Dothraki to join her.
As book readers the hype is real, but for show-watchers? I don't know....

I wonder how many were from people saying "fuck this shit" with the direction they've taken with Sansa, putting her with Joffrey 2.0 and making her a victim again.

UraMallas

D&D simply can't lose, and if you criticize their decisions/work you're suddenly just as bad as Linda.

Your entire post makes the exact opposite argument -- D&D can't win. No matter what. Shows typically peak in popularity around this time in the series so I think it makes sense. Not a big deal. It's a far cry from hoping for a Season 3 so we could see the Red Wedding. We're getting the entire series and that's all that matters to me.

Ratings:
A) Well need HBO's total viewership numbers to get an accurate view, as it's the number they actually care about.
B) Memorial Day weekend episode would have been down on initial viewers no matter what.
C) The show probably hit it's peak in terms of viewership, it's 5 seasons in. That shouldn't be a surprise.

Partition

Banned
are unsullied going to give a shit about Sam's family or Euron? Characters that are suddenly important but have barely been mentioned (especially Euron)? Same with the (presumable) Dothraki casting? I can see them now, all excited to see Daenarys flying off on Drogon only for their smiles turn to horror as they realize that she's still stuck in Essos for part of S6 getting the Dothraki to join her.

? The show watchers love the Dothraki, lol. I actually think they will go insane to see a new Khal.

foxtrot3d

Banned
I always thought it amusing that, if I'm remembering correctly, GRRM wrote the series specifically to not be adaptable to television, correct? Well he actually mostly succeeded with AFFC/ADWD lol.

The worst part is the most notably awful part of the story (Dorne) is a D&D original, along with the Sansa rape which probably turned a decent number of people off. I still believe a good amount of crazy shit should be happening in the next 3 episodes, so maybe that will rekindle interest.

Are you implying that book readers were all hyped about Euron when he suddenly appeared out of nowhere in the 4th book after being mentioned maybe once or twice in passing before?

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
In all honesty I think it would be intresting to see if the viewers are unsullied or book readership, because honestly I think it's book readers leaving.

I wonder how many were from people saying "fuck this shit" with the direction they've taken with Sansa, putting her with Joffrey 2.0 and making her a victim again.

I mean I hate to simplify it so much, but the Sansa storyline has just generally made me feel uncomfortable and gross. Wonder how many others feel the same way.

A number of my friends were already close to their limit after the Red Wedding, with the idea of "it's a bad place and bad things happen to our heroes!" thing having fully lost its novelty, and the Sansa scene was close to the final straw for a lot of them.

Most are still watching out of sheer momentum but they've lost all enthusiasm. I have a feeling the way "for the Watch" is handled at the end of the season will determine whether or not a fairly big chunk of watchers will continue to stick with the show.

A number of my friends were already close to their limit after the Red Wedding, with the idea of "it's a bad place and bad things happen to our heroes!" thing having fully lost its novelty, and the Sansa scene was close to the final straw for a lot of them.

Most are still watching out of sheer momentum but they've lost all enthusiasm. I have a feeling the way "for the Watch" is handled at the end of the season will determine whether or not a fairly big chunk of watchers will continue to stick with the show.

Don't discount whatever terrible shit they have in store for the Mannis and Shireen.

bengraven

Weird, my friends are feeling almost the opposite. I wonder which one is right.

devilhawk

Sand Snakes still awful--showing breasts won't help that, even if they are/were the most perfect in the known universe (like omg). In fact, that entire scene was just a shitty way of showing that Bronn has a silky smooth voice and that the Sand Snakes use poison. She just straight up gave him the antidote. HERE'S A CONFLICT--DON'T WORRY, HERE'S THE SOLUTION.
This type of criticism is dumb. Especially since it will be the same posters going "whaaaaah Jon got stabbed and that's it? whaaaaah I hate cliff endings. waaaaaaah"

This type of criticism is dumb. Especially since it will be the same posters going "whaaaaah Jon got stabbed and that's it? whaaaaah I hate cliff endings. waaaaaaah"

A cliff hanger ending where a main character "dies" is not at all equivalent.

My point isn't that the poison may not come up later in the story--it's just a stupid way to do it. We got tits, we got smooth charm/humor from Bronn, and we got the Sand Snakes being vengeful assholes. Did we not already know any of that?

Shit, I mean--didn't we already KNOW that Dorne is known for its use of poison via Oberyn? I was just left scratching my head after she simply tosses him the antidote. That's it? Not going to get any information or require a favor from him? I guess they could always go "remember that time I showed you my tits and saved your life?"

I'll eat some crow if that scene pays off in any meaningful way.

I think a decline in viewers was inevitable given how difficult these two books are to adapt. However the interesting and amusing thing about this is that a few years ago I remember quite a few people arguing D&D wouldn't have much trouble creating something more interesting than AFFC/ADWD. Now even AFFC/ADWD haters have quietly admitted D&D somehow managed to make things worse lol. Good lord I pray TWOW comes out next year, preferably before April....

It really doesn't seem like there's one story most people are really invested in now. In S1 it was Ned, in S2 it was Tyrion as Hand. In S3 it was a variety of things, perhaps mainly Arya and Dany but people also liked Robb/Catelyn enough to get crushed by the Red Wedding. In S4 it was Tyrion and Oberyn. This year? I get the impression people aren't really into Arya's story so far, and the show has made some rather weird changes that sucked momentum out of it. Sansa being a prisoner again is turning people off moreso than making them invest in her struggle. Lots of hate for Dany. Not much interest in Jon Snow. Dany and Tyrion being together should get people excited at least, but it took 7 episodes (and they won't be together for long).

My parents still really enjoy the show though. My mom...likes Ramsay. Previously she was a big Joffrey fan...

Tyene took advantage of the situation and gave him the antidote to get Bronn in her debt to try and use him for something in the future.

I thought that was fairly obvious from the scene, but it seems like a lot of people didn't get that interpretation.

devilhawk

A cliff hanger ending where a main character "dies" is not at all equivalent.

My point isn't that the poison may not come up later in the story--it's just a stupid way to do it. We got tits, we got smooth charm/humor from Bronn, and we got the Sand Snakes being vengeful assholes. Did we not already know any of that?

Shit, I mean--didn't we already KNOW that Dorne is known for its use of poison via Oberyn? I was just left scratching my head after she simply tosses him the antidote. That's it? Not going to get any information or require a favor from him? I guess they could always go "remember that time I showed you my tits and saved your life?"

I'll eat some crow if that scene pays off in any meaningful way.
Season 1 Episode 1: Cersei makes stupid decision. Season 1 Episode 2: "gaaaah didn't we already KNOW that Cersei makes stupid decisions?" Season 1 Episode 3: "gaaaah didn't we already KNOW that Cersei makes stupid decisions?" Season 1 Episode 4...

Iksenpets

Banned
I think a decline in viewers was inevitable given how difficult these two books are to adapt. However the interesting and amusing thing about this is that a few years ago I remember quite a few people arguing D&D wouldn't have much trouble creating something more interesting than AFFC/ADWD. Now even AFFC/ADWD haters have quietly admitted D&D somehow managed to make things worse lol. Good lord I pray TWOW comes out next year, preferably before April....

It really doesn't seem like there's one story most people are really invested in now. In S1 it was Ned, in S2 it was Tyrion as Hand. In S3 it was a variety of things, perhaps mainly Arya and Dany but people also liked Robb/Catelyn enough to get crushed by the Red Wedding. In S4 it was Tyrion and Oberyn. This year? I get the impression people aren't really into Arya's story so far, and the show has made some rather weird changes that sucked momentum out of it. Sansa being a prisoner again is turning people off moreso than making them invest in her struggle. Lots of hate for Dany. Not much interest in Jon Snow. Dany and Tyrion being together should get people excited at least, but it took 7 episodes (and they won't be together for long).

My parents still really enjoy the show though. My mom...likes Ramsay. Previously she was a big Joffrey fan...

I think Jon and Arya have been good. Arya's just been minor enough that it doesn't really count. I said this earlier, too, but what's frustrating is I think D&D really were on to some solid ideas for how to improve the story, they just failed to execute on them.

Cutting Aegon to speed up Tyrion is a great move, and I've liked Tyrion more than his book counterpart this season, but then they decide that doing this necessitates killing off Barristan to maximize Tyrion's usefulness to Dany, and so we get that shitty development.

Sansa in Winterfell could have been great! Her Vale plot is boring, but had they adapted its main thrust of her learning to play the game and gaining allies among the lords, it would've been great. Sure, there would be unpleasant scenes with Ramsay, but it would've been tolerable because we could see her executing on a plan to take the Boltons down, instead of just waiting miserably for Stannis. And Theon should've provided a great opportunity to showcase her fundamental kindness, even in terrible situations, as she helps along his reawakening so he can help her in the end. Instead we got no Northern lords, no action from Sansa, rape, and Theon has regressed even further and committed even more heinous crimes, resulting in Sansa seeming to now outright hate him and enjoy his suffering.

Jaime in Dorne could have worked just fine if they wrote Ellaria and the Sand Snakes as something other than villanous cartoons. Cut the stupid bucket-whipping, merchant-killing scene and instead just have some actual character developing with them talking about why they cared about Oberyn so much, and coming up with a smarter plan than "murder!"

The Cersei plot would be improved a lot of they had just done some set up for the commoners' increasing religiosity leading up to the Sparrows last season.

Meereen, people would have hated no matter what they did.

So yeah, I think they actually hit really close to a general framework for a condensed season that would have worked better than the books. They've convinced me that's totally possible, it's just not what this season is. Which is worse, because I can't just throw up my hands and say "Well, the book was unadaptable!" They just missed the mark and the result is bad.

Tyene took advantage of the situation and gave him the antidote to get Bronn in her debt to try and use him for something in the future.

I thought that was fairly obvious from the scene, but it seems like a lot of people didn't get that interpretation.

"Remember when I tried to kill you and then didn't? You owe me."

Not really compelling...

kirblar

It's a season of putting pieces into place rather than having things happen - and that's a problem that's impossible to avoid here. Adding Hardhome was a good decision, as was condensing Tyrion's journey.

Arya must still be in Braavos for a while next season, it feels like, because her plot has progressed far slower than I expected. She and the Hound were a highlight of the prior season.

Iksenpets

Banned
"Want to see my tits again? You know what you have to do..."

Half of the people reading this thread immediately volunteer.

You know, how do they even cast a role like Tyene? Is there just a note that says "Saggy tits and A-cups need not apply" at the bottom of the casting call? Is there a second round of auditions where they just tell all the candidates to take their tops off?

You guys are forgetting that Lancel helped kill Robert, something he did at the behest of Cercei.

In the books at least, Cersei vehemently denies the attempt on Robert's life, and only admits to infidelities after his death. Obviously, the penalty for cheating on the king is death, which was the basis of her entire plot against Margery.

They release her after her partial confession, I have no doubt she'll use Robert Strong for trial-by-combat if anyone presses her for a trial.

Speevy

Banned
I think the thing that makes book readers maddest about this show is how attached they've grown to the actors. Many of them were first timers who knocked it out of the park, and the veterans just embodied these characters in ways that are surprising and memorable.

It's easy to hate storylines,, but it's very difficult to erase an image of a character from your mind. That's why we keep coming back I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom