• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

suzu

Oh shit Gendry is about to be legitimized, all hail king Gendry.

tumblr_m83x6gvG3M1ranhp2o2_250.gif

So who the fuck am I supposed to root for now? I guess all aboard #teamlannister

Openly vocally root for no one. It's been pretty clear for a while now that it's impossible to do so for anybody who doesn't either go on to do horrible shit or die horribly. And with us now one non-leaked episode away from officially being in new territory for everybody, it's just going to hurt even more.

Brakke

Banned
Hey look, we're back to reducing this all to Good Stannis vs Bad Stannis again like that's the only storybeat at play here

That's the opposite of how I look at Stannis. It's funny to me that people take this spoiler event as some wild out-of-left-field totally-out-of-character thing for him to do. This turn may be unforgivable and may even be a surprise, but it certainly shouldn't be inconceivable.

Dysun

That's the opposite of how I look at Stannis. It's funny to me that people take this spoiler event as some wild out-of-left-field totally-out-of-character thing for him to do. This turn may be unforgivable and may even a surprise, but it certainly shouldn't be inconceivable.

Everything in the books speaks to the contrary, and so do many scenes this season alone. Now the sole reason for those scenes to have existed earlier this year is to twist the dagger more.
D&D's sole interpretation of ASOIAF is going after the twists and shock moments without any of the characterization, subtlety, or nuance of the books

Who cares about good writing and setting up contrived scenarios when we can deliver the big twist!

I'm very interested to see which conversations are had before the burning. I wonder if we see a turning point in Stannis that leads him to do this or does he just do it as an immediate reaction to the supply chain thing.

I've not been in here n a few days but it looks like something major got leaked from how many pages this OT has grown. O_O

*Slinks back out to avoid being spoiled anymore than I already have been.*

Brakke

Banned
Everything in the books speaks to the contrary, and so do many scenes this season alone. Now the sole reason for those scenes to have existed earlier this year is to twist the dagger more.
D&D's sole interpretation of ASOIAF is going after the twists and shock moments without any of the characterization, subtlety, or nuance of the books

Who cares about good writing and setting up contrived scenarios when we can deliver the big twist!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I didn't see the ep yet so I can't speak to any of that.

Without those scenes season, Stan's decision wouldn't be dramatic at all. He'd just do it and nobody would be surprised or think it was hard for him to make.

"D&D aren't subtle" is pretty tired. What specific "characterization, subtlety, or nuance" are missing? This is probably easier to talk about after this ep actually airs and we properly know what we're talking about.

Madness

I knew I shouldn't have read this thread. Fuck, can some of you guys please spoiler your stuff. Not saying the last few pages haven't been good but some people implied what would happen without any warning or spoilers. I didn't even know an episode leaked. Shit. Now I'm bummed out if it's true.

XAL

I knew I shouldn't have read this thread. Fuck, can some of you guys please spoiler your stuff. Not saying the last few pages haven't been good but some people implied what would happen without any warning or spoilers. I didn't even know an episode leaked. Shit. Now I'm bummed out if it's true.

Yeah it's fucking bullshit to not spoiler tag shit that hasn't happened in the TV show or book yet when neither is out officially...ugh

Well, I haven't seen the episode yet but just perused the spoiler thread over at Reddit...

Holy fuck this seems like some godawful writing. I like Stannis in the books and hey, that's fine if D&D don't like him and all, but having Stannis be the one to stoically stand by as Shireen screams as she's burned to death, while Selyse is the one having second thoughts?!? Especially after they've had all the father-daughter time with both of them? And this is seemingly precipitated by God Mode Ramsay and his group of 20 Super Special Operations guys somehow destroying the entire supply train for Stannis' hundreds/thousands strong army?

I guess I'll see in a little bit here but holy shit this seems like some absolutely terrible writing and mostly just shitting on a character so that people will cheer when they have their own favorite Brienne likely murder Stannis in Episode 10.

This season just really comes across like really poor fan fiction the longer it goes on.

Well, I haven't seen the episode yet but just perused the spoiler thread over at Reddit...

There`s a really good quote that highlights how absurd the plot twist is.

He burned his only daughter. She was a child.

Renly was killed out of treason and Gendry was seen as simply a bastard not worth crying over. So Stannis in the show has always been more morally flexible, sure, but he also got a lot of monologues by Davos underlining that he was an honest man.

This is one of the issues of not just changing a plot, but changing characters. How does such a character -- the one that had the monologues of being honest and just and that he loved his daughter -- approves the burning of his daughter and stands around watching it? How does he reconcile those things psychologically? Did he ever strike you like a psychopath or a sociopath? The two things don't make sense.

They're pushing a morally bankrupt character through the same plot that in the novels features a moral character. They have the same name, but if you look closely, the two things will stop making sense. To the point that such a character would be incompatible with a lot of the backstory that Stannis has in the books.

KevinG

So is this twist confirmed for tonight?
No fake out, no rational reason or revelation that something good is happening here?

My wife and I are discussing the twist and really contemplating not watching the show anymore, and at the very least probably waiting to watch tonight's episode until there's more context and possibly a better reasoning for what's happening.

suzu

As much as I hate the twist (and all the other stuff I've disliked since this show started), I'll still continue watching.

Showaddy

There`s a really good quote that highlights how absurd the plot twist is.

Unless it's made abundantly clear that not burning Shireen means 100% certain death for Stannis and all his men then this is beyond baffling. Will reserve judgment until I watch the episode but this feels like they're writing the character off as Brienne fodder.

Iksenpets

Banned
Leak:
Still have a few minutes where I can tell myself they filmed this whole thing and intentionally leaked it as a hilarious joke on us all and the real episode won't have any of that in it. Believe, dammit, believe!

Well, if nothing else, a lot of the people who expressed concern about Brienne doing precisely nothing during this season will get to enjoy her killing Satannis.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Leak:
Still have a few minutes where I can tell myself they filmed this whole thing and intentionally leaked it as a hilarious joke on us all and the real episode won't have any of that in it. Believe, dammit, believe!
I would love it if they did that before the start of S6.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom