• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Massa

He has to have some inclination, having conversed with her for 15+ years. I can only imagine that he's dismissed her show criticisms in person many times, given that they meet for dinner every now and then.

Martin has to respond to all of this. I don't believe he said "Stannis is going to burn Shireen." More than likely he told them Shireen gets burned in TWOW and they added Stannis into things for drama.

No, they said the burning of Shireen was Stannis' story coming together from the first scene with him on the show. It explains why show Stannis leaned more towards Mel than book Stannis, they knew this was the outcome. There's clear foreshadowing in season 2, when Mel tells him he will betray his family. Also Linda inadvertently confirmed it on twitter during her little outburst that this is where the book story is going.

You should change that avatar, Stannis is a lost man.

Wait a minute...this has probably been discussed but:

Ep. 10 speculation based on released images
So, those images of Ramsay and Stannis with blood on their faces is probably from episode 10, then huh?

Care nothing about spoiling the book readers.

GoT Season 1 premiere: April 17, 2011
Dance with Dragons release date: July 12, 2011
GoT Season 2 premiere: April 1, 2012
GoT Season 3 premiere: March 31, 2013
GoT Season 4 premiere: April 6, 2014
GoT Season 5 premiere: April 12, 2015

It's fucking embarrassing that the show caught up to the books at all.

they spoiled the readers by telling that burning shireen is a thing in the books too.

Iksenpets

Banned
Here's a serious question.

This question is only for those who absolutely DESPISED all the changes they made this season.

If they get Sansa out of Winterfell, can they get back on track next season?

I think I'm fairly moderate on the show at this point, but I hate the Sansa stuff well enough. I think it could get back on track. There'd always be some niggling thoughts at the back of my mind about how the bizarre events of season 5 are coloring future events, but I think she's salvageable.

Stannis is lost to us. There's no hope for that now.

The other really bad part, Dorne, just ends on such a bizarre anti-climax that I'm not even sure it needs redeeming. There is literally nothing stopping everyone from just pretending it all never happened, and the Dornish just show up in the capital in season 6 unprompted. Jaime was in a fugue state and doesn't know what he spent the last year doing.

So, those images of Ramsay and Stannis with blood on their faces is probably from episode 10, then huh?

Yeah I guess you're right. Before that would have scared me! But it's harder to care about a fight between show Stannis and show Ramsay at this point. I guess I have to still worry they may spoil the fate of poor book Stannis for me. :(

methodman

Banned

Lol, right?

Some of us were calling this from day 1. I knew the show would pass the books at some point. GRRM thought more highly of himself and believed he could finish the books before the show caught up ... But nope.

Moff

What if they never kill Balon and he's captaining one of those ships?

Dude's a total badass.

of course they will kill balon
I always said I had still hopes for euron because they have not killed of balon, yet. now is the time.

Massa

In hindsight though do you really think that the giant puddle of diarrhea that is Dorne is better than what we could have gotten in the riverlands? Lady stoneheart + character devepment for Jaime would have been so much better than what we actually god.

They could still do the Riverlands plot in season 6 if necessary.

diunxx

Some people are misunderstanding the outrage, is not the fact that the princess got burned alive that have us raging at the fucking show runners, is the fact that Stannis was the one who did it.

Zolo

Some people are misunderstanding the outrage, is not the fact that the princess got burned alive that have us raging at the fucking show runners, is the fact that Stannis was the one who did it.

And the contrived situation done to do it.

Speevy

Banned

I hope there's a scene where Ramsay is riding back to Winterfell and he's like "Um...guys, wasn't it snowing a moment ago and Stannis rides him down. Then Brienne cuts Stannis' head off."

The only thing that would redeem episode 10 for me is killing either Stannis or Ramsay. Both for bonus points.

Zolo

I hope there's a scene where Ramsay is riding back to Winterfell and he's like "Um...guys, wasn't it snowing a moment ago and Stannis rides him down. Then Brienne cuts Stannis' head off."

The only thing that would redeem episode 10 for me is killing either Stannis or Ramsay. Both for bonus points.

I do admit as awful as what happened was, I do want to see the look on Ramsay and Roose's face when the snow starts melting.

Magnus

Who the fuck are these Linda & Elio people on Twitter? Read some of the tweets, it's hilarious. They just seethe with anger and then randomly tell people to "fuck off!" when they receive any criticism. GRRM's associated with these people? lol

Never mind - did some research. Westeros.org's primary site-runners? They're acting real mature on their feeds. Can't be good for GRRM to continue associating with them.

hiryu

Season has been pretty bad but the source material was awful too. Hardholme was awesome and the two episodes around it were ok. Too make matters worse it appears they are going to end the season with a bunch of cliffhangers just like the book. I really hope they don't do that.

Iksenpets

Banned
I think it's safe to say that TV Melisandre is more legit than book Melisandre, right?

Not at all! Balon is still alive! She's missed a target in the show. That's never happened in the books.

Season has been pretty bad but the source material was awful too. Hardholme was awesome and the two episodes around it were ok. Too make matters worse it appears they are going to end the season with a bunch of cliffhangers just like the book. I really hope they don't do that.

I think that actually bums me out more. The source material is weak, but for the most part they've actually done a good job at improving the worst parts of the source material. People aren't spread apart to ever corner of the earth, Tyrion and Brienne don't meander on endless journeys. The only weak aspect of the book that they made worse is Dorne, where they somehow made even less happen. But then they've fucked up the stronger aspects of the books. The Northern stuff is the best part of those books, but between the Stannis and Sansa stuff, now it's one of their weakest areas.

hoos30

In hindsight though do you really think that the giant puddle of diarrhea that is Dorne is better than what we could have gotten in the riverlands? Lady stoneheart + character devepment for Jaime would have been so much better than what we actually god.
Show Dorne is a hot mess, let's get that out of the way. But I am one of the few LSH haters, so I'm glad they took the risk to try make Jaime's meandering eventful. It didn't work out.

jett

D-Member
bad TV is a bit much, no?

Relative to the likes of The Wire, The Sopranos, Deadwood, Rome and others, this show is trash by HBO's used-to-be standards. It's more on the level of True Blood. Trashy, but fun regardless. Although to me personally this show has really dropped its entertainment factor by a few notches this season.

Goodbye Stannis

#teamjonsnownow

This has always been the only team.

Who the fuck are these Linda & Elio people on Twitter? Read some of the tweets, it's hilarious. They just seethe with anger and then randomly tell people to "fuck off!" when they receive any criticism. GRRM's associated with these people? lol

Never mind - did some research. Westeros.org's primary site-runners? They're acting real mature on their feeds. Can't be good for GRRM to continue associating with them.

Yep, they suck. Well Linda at least. She's so into the books, she won't read the Red Wedding chapter or some shit.

eot

Banned
They're moving Myrcella to KL just so they don't have to film in Dorne next season. I doubt there's a plot reason for it.
With the exception of Olly, I'd agree. That kid is driving me nuts. At the very least it's much better than his material last season, although that's not saying much.

The amount of long distance zoom-ins on Olly with a menacing stare is out of control.

Not at all! Balon is still alive! She's missed a target in the show. That's never happened in the books.

"And I will tell you, it is three usurpers of Westeros when I get there that are gone. Robb Stark, Joffrey Baratheon, and — what's the third one there? Let's see .... OK. Robb Stark, Joffrey Baratheon, and — The third one, I can't. Sorry. Oops."

Speevy

Banned
Poisoning the king with hundreds of guards at a feast was easy. Killing Robb Stark who had thousands of soldiers was easy.

Knocking an old man off a bridge...this the lord of light cannot do.

Here's a serious question.

This question is only for those who absolutely DESPISED all the changes they made this season.

If they get Sansa out of Winterfell, can they get back on track next season?
It's going to take a lot to ignore the Sansa shitshow of this season, especially if she's preggers

Are you surprised though? Given GRRM snail writing pace. I think hes in a Oh Shit kind of moment right now and thats why hes canceled several appearances.

Another thing that bothers me...did the presumed sacrifice of his daughter create food as well? Did they address the fact that they still have no supplies, snowstorm or not? Is the idea that they hustle to Winterfell, take it down, and then replenish supplies?

Zolo

Another thing that bothers me...did the presumed sacrifice of his daughter create food as well? Did they address the fact that they still have no supplies, snowstorm or not? Is the idea that they hustle to Winterfell, take it down, and then replenish supplies?

That seemed the idea to me. The snow's gone, so they can now hustle to Winterfell, take it over quickly (without siege weapons?), and get some grub for a job well done.

Moff

the snowstorm makes it impossible to move. but they could wait it out with supplies.
witthout supplies camping means death. so they need either supplies or good weather to move on winterfell, one of them is enough, it does not need both.
davos explained that to stannis at the start of the episode.

Jarmel

Banned
Harington has actually done a good job as Jon this season. Which is highly surprising but I guess he has more material to work with.

Zolo

the snowstorm makes it impossible to move. but they could wait it out with supplies.
witthout supplies camping means death. so they need either supplies or good weather to move on winterfell, one of them is enough, it does not need both.
davos explained that to stannis at the start of the episode.

The snowstorm didn't seem that bad.

Speevy

Banned
Well it's implied that Stannis is "the best military commander in Westeros".

Roose is content just to sit there and wait for Stannis to die.

So it seems pretty clear what will happen if Stannis actually makes it to Winterfell. I do hope they do one of those "clang clang clang, standard falls to the ground" deals in place of a battle. Season 6, episode 1 is too long to wait for a foregone conclusion.

Iksenpets

Banned
"And I will tell you, it is three usurpers of Westeros when I get there that are gone. Robb Stark, Joffrey Baratheon, and — what's the third one there? Let's see .... OK. Robb Stark, Joffrey Baratheon, and — The third one, I can't. Sorry. Oops."

Haha, ok, this got me.

jett

D-Member
#TeamKinslayingChildBurner
#TeamWhereIsHisGhost
#TeamDragonShatter
#TeamDemonicElsa

The Dorne stuff this season is just baffling. Not only does it not make any sense or forward the plot, but it doesn't even have a good scene, or characterisation or anything. Pure garbage through and through.

I don't understand it either. It shouldn't exist. It's a complete waste of time. Did the producers want to give Bronn's and Jaime's actors a job that badly?

eot

Banned
No, they said the burning of Shireen was Stannis' story coming together from the first scene with him on the show. It explains why show Stannis leaned more towards Mel than book Stannis, they knew this was the outcome. There's clear foreshadowing in season 2, when Mel tells him he will betray his family. Also Linda inadvertently confirmed it on twitter during her little outburst that this is where the book story is going.

They also said he was burning people in that first scene which IIRC they weren't, they burned wooden idols.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom