• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Damerman

Just because I'm curious: what are your highlights from this season?

well the opening scene of Ep1 for one, I'm certain that they are going to fully reveal the prophecy that cercie gets in the next episode.

I also really didn't like what jamie was doing in the riverlands(although it does a huge disservice to house Tully and their fall), and i think him being in dorne gets two birds with one stone(they definitely could have written it to be smoother though).

I like that brienne met littlefinger and sansa and communicated that she is after stannis. I also appreciate the R+L=J references from Sansa/littlefinger and Dynaries/Barristan. I thought that they handled the references to those characters really well, without making it seem preachy, but individualistic to each character's point of view.

Jonathan Pryce as High Sparrow is pretty fucking brilliant. He makes me very uneasy. his exchanges with Olena and Cersie were really good.

And of course Arya in the House of Black and White, some of my favorite parts of the entire show. But I'm being biased as I always love where Arya's at. She's my fave character.

Kain

OK, after all the rage, let's elaborate a little...

Burning Shireen for good weather is stupid on many levels, specially knowing that to kill people you only need leeches and to make shadow babies you only need to fuck, but OK, let's go with the very specific "You need to burn people of royal blood to make the clouds go away", why is it me, and some other people are so angry about? The fact that Stannis is OK with this. I'm not doubting Shireen gets burned in the books, it might happen, but it sure as hell won't happen with Stannis knowing it. Remember Mel, Selyse and Shireen are at the wall while Davos is out playing with cannibals, so it's perfectely possible that Mel, the biggest hack in all of the Seven Kingdoms (she is not very powerful and she is a moron who cannot interpret the fires), in some bad acid trip decides to burn Shireen without Stannis consent.

Mel doesn't serve Stannis, Mel serves the Lord of Fire. She doesn't love him (and he doesn't love her either). If one day she figures out the savior is Jon, and not the Mannis, she will forsake Stannis cause and follow Jon around like a stray puppy (I wonder what Ghost has to say about that). So it's perfectly possible that she decides to burn her, in fact, if she doesn't burn her I'm pretty sure the wildlings will do something to her. And let's not forget the fact that Stannis has been pushing Mel aside for a while now, he does not want her at his side.

But for the love of fuck, who in their right mind thinks Stannis could agree with such a stupid plan???? He is winning the throne FOR HER. Killing his heir is the worst decission he could ever take, winning the throne without a heir is completely pointless, he is a tradition man, a law man, the heirs and lineage are the things he believes in, I repeat: this doesn't make sense. I feel D&D don't understand shit anymore (if they ever understood something that is).

Soooooo other things

- As I said yesterday, I think next episode Doran will send the SS to KL to act as spies an such, just like in the books. It's weird that Trystane is going to take the place of Nymeria in the Small Council, but then again, Nym in the show doesn't seem very clever, maybe Trystane is.

- Arya's Mercy... OK, it's not that bad.

- Jon's future death. One of the things George did well in the books was sending Sam away while Marsh was plotting Jon's death. Jon tried his best to convince his people to accept the wildlings, but he is not a very good orator and Sam could have helped there, but as he was away during the deed he was mostly alone. In the show Sam is with him, but maybe he will send him to Oldtown at the beginning of the episode. Anyway, Olly is going to be worse than Ramsay, man, the kid who killed Ygritte AND Jon. Pure badass.

Moff

What makes you think the other side is greener?

then we are all lost either way

But for the love of fuck, who in their right mind thinks Stannis could agree with such a stupid plan???? He is winning the throne FOR HER.

really don't agree here. I think GRRM went greath lengths to explain that stannis is a man of duty. he doesn't want the crown, not for himself and not for his daughter. he thinks it's what he is doing is his duty. and in the show he is in a position where either everyone dies or he sacrifices shireen. of course, if you were right, he could send here away, back to dragonstone, to safety for a limited amount of time. but he is not a man of legacy or family, he is not tywin. he is a man of duty.
and do not come up with the quote about putting shireen on the throne because stannis knows damn well there is 0 chance at that if his whole army freezes to death in that snow storm there is 0 chance of shireen ever sitting that throne. that quote stems from a situation wher he dies in battle but his army still stands. this here is a different situation.

but I am more and more tired of speculating, let's wait for a GRRM commentary or the actualy release of TWOW.

spootime

No, the faster they get through the sloggy AFFC/ADWD material, the better for all of us. It's something of a miracle that we got three entertaining episodes out of this season.

In hindsight though do you really think that the giant puddle of diarrhea that is Dorne is better than what we could have gotten in the riverlands? Lady stoneheart + character devepment for Jaime would have been so much better than what we actually god.

OK, after all the rage, let's elaborate a little...

Burning Shireen for good weather is stupid on many levels, specially knowing that to kill people you only need leeches and to make shadow babies you only need to fuck, but OK, let's go with the very specific "You need to burn people of royal blood to make the clouds go away", why is it me, and some other people are so angry about? The fact that Stannis is OK with this. I'm not doubting Shireen gets burned in the books, it might happen, but it sure as hell won't happen with Stannis knowing it. Remember Mel, Selyse and Shireen are at the wall while Davos is out playing with cannibals, so it's perfectely possible that Mel, the biggest hack in all of the Seven Kingdoms (she is not very powerful and she is a moron who cannot interpret the fires), in some bad acid trip decides to burn Shireen without Stannis consent.

Mel doesn't serve Stannis, Mel serves the Lord of Fire. She doesn't love him (and he doesn't love her either). If one day she figures out the savior is Jon, and not the Mannis, she will forsake Stannis cause and follow Jon around like a stray puppy (I wonder what Ghost has to say about that). So it's perfectly possible that she decides to burn her, in fact, if she doesn't burn her I'm pretty sure the wildlings will do something to her. And let's not forget the fact that Stannis has been pushing Mel aside for a while now, he does not want her at his side.

But for the love of fuck, who in their right mind thinks Stannis could agree with such a stupid plan???? He is winning the throne FOR HER. Killing his heir is the worst decission he could ever take, winning the throne without a heir is completely pointless, he is a tradition man, a law man, the heirs and lineage are the things he believes in, I repeat: this doesn't make sense. I feel D&D don't understand shit anymore (if they ever understood something that is).

Soooooo other things

- As I said yesterday, I think next episode Doran will send the SS to KL to act as spies an such, just like in the books. It's weird that Trystane is going to take the place of Nymeria in the Small Council, but then again, Nym in the show doesn't seem very clever, maybe Trystane is.

- Arya's Mercy... OK, it's not that bad.

- Jon's future death. One of the things George did well in the books was sending Sam away while Marsh was plotting Jon's death. Jon tried his best to convince his people to accept the wildlings, but he is not a very good orator and Sam could have helped there, but as he was away during the deed he was mostly alone. In the show Sam is with him, but maybe he will send him to Oldtown at the beginning of the episode. Anyway, Olly is going to be worse than Ramsay, man, the kid who killed Ygritte AND Jon. Pure badass.

New wife, new heirs.

In hindsight though do you really think that the giant puddle of diarrhea that is Dorne is better than what we could have gotten in the riverlands? Lady stoneheart + character devepment for Jaime would have been so much better than what we actually god.

You are right, the ball was dropped in this case. Riverlands with Jamie and Bronne seeing the aftermath of war, also serving Jamie's development would have been awesome.

I think it could've been better for sure, but I bet Dorne has a part to play yet that required that storyline being in the show somehow.

In the grand scheme of the season, they've dedicated very little screen time to it so far.

I hate how they executed the storyline, but at least it was quick (if painful) and hopefully sets up some future events.

munchie64

I think it could've been better for sure, but I bet Dorne has a part to play yet that required that storyline being in the show somehow.

In the grand scheme of the season, they've dedicated very little screen time to it so far.

I hate how they executed the storyline, but at least it was quick (if painful) and hopefully sets up some future events.
I quite like the theory that Varys shows up to talk to Doran next episode. Not very plausible, but would be awesome.

He would have to kill first his current wife. The one he doesn't cheat on even if he doesn't like her. Do you believe Stannis is the sort of man who would kill his wife and child to get new ones? I don't.

He burned his daughter alive, pretty much all options are available.

So.. Does Davos end up abandoning Stannis and seeks out Rickon as he admires the Starks/Jon and wants to support a cause he can believe in? I don't think they can reconcile Davos and Willingly Burned Shireen.

Kaladin

It's not the fact that Shireen gets burned that bugs me. I called Book Stannis an idiot for leaving Mel behind with his daughter. It's how cold he was in making the decision and doing that. Stannis isn't that cold of a man. This makes him a bigger monster than most of Westeros, and I don't see that in Book Stannis.

Jigorath

Banned
So now that Show Stannis is basically pure evil and has no morales left, why doesn't he just go and strike up a deal with the Boltons? Make Roose the Hand of the King and give him more support than the Lannisters did in exchange for his loyalty. It's not like anyone else is going to want to support a guy who burns his own daughter. Get Walder Frey and Balon Greyjoy on board too. I mean why not? All the biggest scumbags in the realm should be working together.

Shireen Baratheon has Targaryen blood in her, she will not burn.

#SHIREENLIVESBELIEVE

She'll come back to life as a dragon and burn Stannis alive.

Zolo

He would have to kill first his current wife. The one he doesn't cheat on even if he doesn't like her. Do you believe Stannis is the sort of man who would kill his wife and child to get new ones? I don't.

It's for the good of the realm.

I wonder if Martin kicks himself for associating with Elio and Linda so closely. Elio is fine, as I always say, however Linda is a huge liability and very unprofessional. The thing I fear is that their influence/importance will increase after Martin's death (which hopefully doesn't happen anytime soon, R'Hollor willing) and they'll essentially become the gatekeepers of the franchise. I'm not a fan of Christoper Tolkien for instance, but I can at least respect his views given that he worked closely with his father, clearly loves his work, never sold out, etc. He's not a fanboy or fanatic, he's a loyal son and partner. Whereas Elio and Linda are upjumped fanatics.

(I respect Elio overall.)

Razmos

It's really interesting seeing the people saying "I've read the books but the Shireen scene was just too much!"

yeah, because it's probably the first major death that wasn't already spoiled for you by the books, now you are just like any other scrub watching the show.

Isn't Stannis' motivation for "fulfilling his destiny" somewhat influenced by his knowledge of the White Walkers? If he doesn't do everything he can he believes the country will be slaughtered and turned into the dead

A thought I just had.

Should we assume Drogon is just not done growing? How do some baby spears even stick in him. Dragons have burned tens of thousands fighting in fields laughing at spears.

Arkeband

Banned
The real question is what the fuck happens to Patchface if Shireen gets torched?

"This fire's hot, it burns my toes, I know I know, ow ow ow!"

foxtrot3d

Banned
It's really interesting seeing the people saying "I've read the books but the Shireen scene was just too much!"

yeah, because it's probably the first major death that wasn't already spoiled for you by the books, now you are just like any other scrub watching the show.

Um no,it was shocking because it was non-sensical and out of character.

munchie64

A thought I just had.

Should we assume Drogon is just not done growing? How do some baby spears even stick in him. Dragons have burned tens of thousands fighting in fields laughing at spears.
Dragon_Skull_Cave.jpg
This was about as big as his body is.

Jigorath

Banned

I started watching the show before I read the books so I saw multiple unspoiled character deaths. This wasn't a case of being upset that a character is dead (we all kind of figured she was a goner eventually), it was just the way she was killed off. I do not want to watch a child get burned alive. Especially not while she screams and begs her parents to save her while they stand and watch. It's one of the sickest things I've ever seen on television and I've been watching HBO for years. We didn't have to watch Sansa getting raped. They cut away from that. Why did we have to watch this?

Arkeband

Banned
A thought I just had.

Balerion was pretty huge, black dragons grow the largest supposedly.

From WOIAF:
350px-Aegon_on_Balerion.jpg

Zolo

You mean Barristan?

So was Trant a pedophile in the books as well or is this another one of D&D "amazing" ideas?

It's possible, we don't really know much about him in the books. Although this came from an Arya preview chapter, but with a different character in Trant's place. I forget if Martin made that guy a pedo or how it worked there.

Iksenpets

Banned
So was Trant a pedophile in the books as well or is this another one of D&D "amazing" ideas?

Mercy preview chapter spoilers:
The guy Arya murders in the Mercy scene in the books is enough of a pedo to be sexually interested in Arya. They've passed that trait on to Trant, apparently, and exaggerated it a bit, probably to make sure his death will still be satisfying even for viewers who maybe don't remember him.

The facts are pointing to Stannis approving of the burning. You have a hard time accepting that, which is fine. I'm sure when Martin finishes TWOW in 20XX, he'll have Stannis burn his daughter in a manner more to your liking.

One thing I'm thinking is that they've switched events around to fit the pacing of the show.

In the books Stannis can't burn Shireen, because he doesn't have her, but he does have Theon and Asha.

So maybe a future book he will burn one of those two for the same reason he burned Shireen in episode 9.

On the flip side, Melissandre has Shireen in the books, and is very likely going to burn her for some great spell. So maybe later on next season she will burn either Theon or Yara, for whatever reason she ends up burning Shireen for in the books.

Arkeband

Banned

Trant doesn't have much characterization in the books besides just being a piece of shit, so it's not the craziest thing to imagine.

The important thing is the character he's taking the place of was in the Mercy chapter, who didn't seem concerned with the age of Mercy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom