• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kusagari

Well it's implied that Stannis is "the best military commander in Westeros".

Roose is content just to sit there and wait for Stannis to die.

So it seems pretty clear what will happen if Stannis actually makes it to Winterfell. I do hope they do one of those "clang clang clang, standard falls to the ground" deals in place of a battle. Season 6, episode 1 is too long to wait for a foregone conclusion.

I think it's pretty clear at this point Ramsay is the best military commander of all time.

Jarmel

Banned
I wonder if they're going to twist Shireen burning into one of the factors of Jon being revived. Like it cleared the weather and also helped bring him back.

Man, I'm a nerd. Like, I play long RPG games, collected action figures growing up, love reading sci-fi and fantasy. But I also don't live and breathe this stuff.

It's annoying to see people like Linda or other people even in this thread calling certain types of fans "casuals." Seriously? Who cares? Why do some people get off thinking they are superior or deserve something? Being a fan of a made up story does not merit you any credit or admiration in my book. If you are, great. But treating your fandom as a badge that makes your opinion more worthy or acting as if somehow you are personally being slighted by spoilers is just myopic arrogance IMO.

Dysun

Linda being as cordial as ever.

Ac1oHUt.png

This is someone who earns money on the back of the show.

Over the course of Season 5, I've watched their videos and agreed with their feelings about the show. I used to laugh at the thought two years ago

Kain

They are saving all their budget for the Kingsmoot*:

cancic3b3n-de-hielo-y-fuego-iv-festc3adn-de-cuervos-completa.jpg

Unless they are planning for Euron to be a rogue pirate captain hurrdurring his way in the world.

*Disclaimer, no Asha or Damphair or Victarion present in the final product. May contain 0 to none dragonhorns.

Iksenpets

Banned
I don't understand why Roose just doesn't give Ramsay 30 good men. He'd win the Iron Throne and defeat the White Walkers, shirtless, within 2 episodes.

There are only so many men out there who are up to Ramsay's caliber! Maybe with a strong recruitment drive you could have 25 ready to serve as illustrious Bastard's Boys by this time next year. Maybe.

Can someone tell me what is going to happen next week?
Episode 9<8.

From what we know from previews and the like:
Dany and Drogon land an encounter the Dothraki.
Tyrion, Jorah, and Daario hang out? I don't know, their book plot at this point is pretty clearly cut.
Jon gets Ramsay's letter, gets stabbed.
Some sort of Ramsay/Stannis battle around Winterfell. Don't know if we'll learn the result.
Sansa and Theon maybe try to escape? Brienne maybe helps?
Arya kills Trant.
Cersei's walk.
Maybe Kevan's death? I think that's pushed to next season though.
Maybe some reveal of Prince Doran's larger schemes, now that Jaime is gone?

The Daznak's Pit sequence seemed really dumb. I can't remember exactly what happened in the books but from what I recall, didn't Drogon just show up and go on a rampage while the other 2 dragons were tearing up the rest of Meereen then Dany just kind of jumps on Drogon's back and gets the fuck of there?

How would a dragon know when to show up? Backtracking a moment, what was up with the harpies? Why are they just standing there and going one-on-one with beard man and sergeant simp? Reminds of last week with the stare down between Jon and the nights king that seemed to last 5 minutes, no one spending a single calorie rowing. I'm not even trying to be critical but what the hell man? It's hard not to.

Jigorath

Banned
Didn't merely two leeches from Gendry killed two throne pretenders? Burning a whole princess should give them a dragon at the very least.

If Shireen gets revived as a dragon all will be forgiven D&D.

Though the leeches didn't do jack. Mel is and always has been a hack.

How would a dragon know when to show up? Backtracking a moment, what was up with the harpies? Why are they just standing there and going one-on-one with beard man and sergeant simp?

Don't think too hard on it. Same reason why no one thought to throw a spear at Dany (though they clearly brought a good dozen for the dragon they didn't know was suddenly going to appear) or why a bunch of supposed super soldiers born and bred to fight (with armour and spears) that easily took on Dothraki fell to a bunch of royal masked nobodies (with no armour and holding small daggers) or why the greatest swordsman in the land lost to them.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
The Daznak's Pit sequence seemed really dumb. I can't remember exactly what happened in the books but from what I recall, didn't Drogon just show up and go on a rampage while the other 2 dragons were tearing up the rest of Meereen then Dany just kind of jumps on Drogon's back and gets the fuck of there?

How would a dragon know when to show up? Backtracking a moment, what was up with the harpies? Why are they just standing there and going one-on-one with beard man and sergeant simp? Reminds of last week with the stare down between Jon and the nights king that seemed to last 5 minutes, no one spending a single calorie rowing. I'm not even trying to be critical but what the hell man? It's hard not to.

No, the other dragons were still locked up when the pit incident happened.

I don't see the complaints about why Drogon would show up. As in the book, it's an enormous spectacle with lots of noise and the smell of blood. In addition, Dany is there and in trouble, and it's clear by this point that she has an intangible connection with her dragons.

In the book Drogon appears due to the noise coming from the stadium/coliseum. There were a few references in the book about Drogon being attracted to crowds/lose noises, so it made sense. And iirc Dany wasn't in (direct) danger when Drogon arrived in the book.

hoos30

Another thing that bothers me...did the presumed sacrifice of his daughter create food as well? Did they address the fact that they still have no supplies, snowstorm or not? Is the idea that they hustle to Winterfell, take it down, and then replenish supplies?
Without snow, they are one day's march from Winterfell. One horse burger per soldier will do it.

Moff

I'm gonna laugh pretty hard if the only thing killing Shireen accomplished was clearing the weather.

if there is one thing I am certain of that is straight from the books then it's this.
dispelling a snowstorm is exactly the kind of magic melisandre would do, it's subtle but powerful.
if this was D&Ds idea, she would have cast meteors on winterfell

How would a dragon know when to show up?.

the book made it clear that he was attracted by the fighting in the pit. and if I remember correctly he saved her. in the show it looked more like she saved him.

but that I don't remember, how did the harpies even get in there in the books, where were the unsullied?
edit: ok I just read up on it and apparently I don't remember anything. I don't even understand anymore why drogon showed up there, plotwise. burning harpies makes much more sense to me.

Speevy

Banned
It's funny because in the books, the dragon creates chaos, making Dany look bad.

In the show, the dragon is the solution, and the harpies cause all the problem.

Shouldn't show Dany theoretically have just as much control over Meereen as she did before all this happened?

Speevy

Banned
But seriously, where are all these ex-slave masters coming from?

I thought they were flooding in from the cities Dany freed. A simple solution to this would be just shutting the gates.

You're right though. There seem to be more harpies than unsullied.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Is there any merit at all to the idea that Drogo warged into Drogon when they were burned together?

No, I don't think so. He was smothered to finish things off before that point, and when people warg on death it's depicted as an instant thing, not something where their spirit hangs around for a few days looking for a good host.

In the book Drogon appears due to the noise coming from the stadium/coliseum. There were a few references in the book about Drogon being attracted to crowds/lose noises, so it made sense. And iirc Dany wasn't in (direct) danger when Drogon arrived in the book.

Right. That was it. Drogon was the source of chaos. Seems like with that incident and the other dragons being released (afterwards) things really hit the fan for Dany in Meereen except it doesn't look it's her fault so much on the show. The book gave the sense that maybe she was bad for Meereen in a way but the show kills that ambiguity.

It's funny because in the books, the dragon creates chaos, making Dany look bad.

In the show, the dragon is the solution, and the harpies cause all the problem.

Shouldn't show Dany theoretically have just as much control over Meereen as she did before all this happened?

Yeah. Outside of the harpies being harpies she really could just go back. Not sure why the went out of their way to kill Hizdahr though

Arkeband

Banned
Linda hasn't read the Red Wedding, but is a book purist?

I'm so confused. Did she have to have someone else describe it to her? Why is she pretending to be so fragile, yet is a total maniac on Twitter?

eot

Banned

Yeah, the chaos starts when Drogon shows up, not before. The only thing going on prior to that is Belwas getting ill from the locusts.

Is there any merit at all to the idea that Drogo warged into Drogon when they were burned together?

Drogo was already dead when he burned, wasn't he?

Linda hasn't read the Red Wedding, but is a book purist?

I'm so confused. Did she have to have someone else describe it to her? Why is she pretending to be so fragile, yet is a total maniac on Twitter?

She has read it.

Zolo

By the way, just got this on Greyscale from the wiki:

Greyscale is extremely infectious, spread through touch contact with an infected person, or even spread on unsterilized objects that have been touched by the infected. A single touch from an infected person is enough to spread the disease to another person.

Pein

Banned
so the unsullied feeling pain, is that because they stopped drinking the wine of courage? these dudes aren't supposed to be flinching and going down so easy, right?

By the way, just got this on Greyscale from the wiki:

Yeah, what the hell is the final word on this disease/sickness? Didn't Davos rub his face directly on Shireen's when they hugged?

so the unsullied feeling pain, is that because they stopped drinking the wine of courage? these dudes aren't supposed to be flinching and going down so easy, right?

The plot demanded a crisis.

Got into a conversation with someone who had responded to Linda, and she RTd a tweet about (potential episode 10 spoiler):
Brienne killing Stannis. Thus burning Shireen was the irredeemable act required for him to be killed.

Yeah, what the hell is the final word on this disease/sickness? Didn't Davos rub his face directly on Shireen's when they hugged?

I think she'll be fine. D&D don't do subtle. If Dany was infected, the camera would have zoomed in for a good 12 seconds and someone in Westeros would have made an offhand comment about the infectious nature of grayscale.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Got into a conversation with someone who had responded to Linda, and she RTd a tweet about (potential episode 10 spoiler):
Brienne killing Stannis. Thus burning Shireen was the irredeemable act required for him to be killed.

Still just speculation though really.

No, I don't think so. He was smothered to finish things off before that point, and when people warg on death it's depicted as an instant thing, not something where their spirit hangs around for a few days looking for a good host.

yeah but the idea is really cool thoooough

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom