• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeoGiff

Come on guys, new episode tonight! Where's the hype, the excitement?

Will Varys achieve his final form? Will Euraario whip his fabled dragon horn out of his britches and command Daenerys to blow on it? Will Sam show Gilly his willy?

Find out tonight!

According to some of the official screener reviews tonight we might be getting some
Rhaegar and Lyanna
backstory today. I'm guessing it's going to be in Sansa's arc because of the pic I showed you guys before.

Iksenpets

Banned

Will Varys achieve his final form? Will Euraario whip his fabled dragon horn out of his britches and command Daenerys to blow on it? Will Sam show Gilly his willy?

Find out tonight!

I hope things can finally get back to normal once we get past this episode and no one's worried about leak spoilers anymore. That seems to have really put a damper on things these first few weeks. Half of the people are hiding because they're worried about spoilers, and the other half are scared to say anything for fear they'll accidentally mention something they're not supposed to know yet.

Lothar

Banned
What do we have to look forward to tonight? I loved last week's episode but the previews were all Dorne/Meereen - my two least favorite storylines going on right now. I actually liked Meereen in the book. I liked that she was under siege and trapped with no way to feed her people and the disease element causing her to have to make the choice to not let her starving children enter into the city. That was good. But the show seems to be doing away with both of those things. Just having the drama in Meereen be about former slaves vs former masters is pretty lame and boring in comparison. It's like a rehash of the King's Landing riots and the Season 2 tension between nobles/peasants.

My favorite scene last week was the Arya scene of her thinking about throwing Needle away. That was beautifully done with the sunset and not being over the top with phony TV tears. The show doesn't usually have quiet emotional character moments with no dialogue. It needs to have more of that. This is what I wanted and didn't get from the Sansa scene last year where she was building a snow Winterfell.

I'm not sure I saw a single positive review or remark about the Sand Snakes in the reviews/impressions. It sounds like they've all been turned into straight up warriors. Say what you will about the Sand Snakes in the novels but each of them was different. I get the impression they've turned each into Obara. That plus making Ellaria blood thirsty creates quite a one dimensional tone for Dorne.

And dumping Sarella...

Find out tonight!

In all seriousness, I think this isn't a shock to those of us familiar with the source material at this point. There's very much a "reset the board" period after the fury of dramatic climaxes in the Storm content.

I think they've done a good job in the first three episodes (I really think last week's ep was fantastic), but there isn't an immediacy to most of our characters situations right now.

In all seriousness, I think this isn't a shock to those of us familiar with the source material at this point. There's very much a "reset the board" period after the fury of dramatic climaxes in the Storm content.

I think they've done a good job in the first three episodes (I really think last week's ep was fantastic), but there isn't an immediacy to most of our characters situations right now.

Looking at the synopsis for today's episodes looks like that will change soon. We are also approaching the mid season holy shit moment.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I'll watch it, but most of the interesting stuff is going to happen later this season. Season 4 had a lot more spread out over the season, with major crap happening in the last like four episodes, while this season has the Jon fake dying, and well that's pretty much it. Cersei's walk is interesting from a character perspective, but we won't be seeing her trial so nothing will actually happen in King's Landing apart from the Kevan and Pycelle deaths. Danaery's and Tyrion getting closer to each other is good yes, but I am afraid that she won't be riding the dragon. The Wintefell-Bolton/Stannis/Sansa/Brienne plot is interesting, but given there aren't much WoW spoilers, I am not sure that it will result in a good climax. We have Arya's training as a side story. but she won't be doing much to affect the actual story still.

Basically what I am trying to get at, is that even though they are maybe a few big moments, this season will probably go with maybe Season 2 as the second worst or worst. Season 6 will be action filled most likely, due to resolving all the plots from Season 5, as well as getting war back into Westeros with Dany, Stannis or the North, Martells, Tyrells. Even though they are trying their hardest to make sure Season 5 is better than books 4/5, it will still not be the best of Game of Thrones.

Eidan

Just watched the first 3 episodes of the season. So far so good. I'm loving the changes being made to AFFC/ADWD. The show runners have really learned how to make even the most mundane parts of those books much more tolerable. This show is on the fast track to eclipsing the books in terms of quality.

glaw52

According to some of the official screener reviews tonight we might be getting some
Rhaegar and Lyanna
backstory today. I'm guessing it's going to be in Sansa's arc because of the pic I showed you guys before.

One of the promotional pictures for this episode showed Sansa holding the feather Robert left on Lyanna's tomb in the crypt.

I wouldn't be surprised if the show reveals R+L=J this season.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Just watched the first 3 episodes of the season. So far so good. I'm loving the changes being made to AFFC/ADWD. The show runners have really learned how to make even the most mundane parts of those books much more tolerable. This show is on the fast track to eclipsing the books in terms of quality.

ZdXsxgz.gif

Were there any hint of a secret marriage between Lyanna and Rheagar? Also what are the rules in Westeros regarding legitimacy of children? Roberts bastards didn't have any real claim did they? So if that's the case and there is only real claim to the throne for Jon if there was a wedding?

foxtrot3d

Banned
Were there any hint of a secret marriage between Lyanna and Rheagar? Also what are the rules in Westeros regarding legitimacy of children? Roberts bastards didn't have any real claim did they? So if that's the case and there is only real claim to the throne for Jon if there was a wedding?

There is a theory that Rhaegar married Lyanna, afterall there was no law that prevented Targs from having more than one wife (Aegon the Conqueror had two) had two and if not Rhaegar could have secretly placed Elia aside. In any case, the theory is that they wed on the Isle of Faces beneath the eyes of the Old Gods but I forget where the support from that comes from. Thus, Jon would be a legitimate heir and not a bastard.

WaffleTaco

He really did sound like Joffery there...not in tone obviously, but just the way he speaks. This is good casting I think.

WaffleTaco

Uh Melisandre heads south? That's a scary thought

Also: we always talk about shoe horned relationships...at least we aren't getting an Olly and Shireen one haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom